Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think GGG will put a stamp on it and hit Canelo so hard that Amir Khan gets knocked out again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Who has Canelo been sparring hard with to prepare him for getting hit by GGG. Stevens has fought at lhw and is still the face of 'holy poo poo GGG hits hard'

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The SituAsian posted:

So me and MMM watcha say are just chopped liver? :mad:

No, not all :shobon: (I was just showing TNL some love)

The effort that you guys put in with the small size of SA's boxing community is loving awesome

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Which speaking of, it's up:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834439

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
There's another middleweight world title fight today with Billy Joe Saunders v Willie Monroe. If you're not familiar with BJS, imagine Tyson Fury without any of the charisma or sense of humour. Monroe has been treated like poo poo while he's been in London and was kicked in the balls by Saunders' kid at the weigh in.

I'd love Billy Joe to get battered but as Monroe is pretty much the same style of fighter but worse, that unfortunately won't happen. Maybe he'll get sacrificed in Astana at GGG's homecoming after this.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Monday Bandele posted:

imagine Tyson Fury without any of the charisma or sense of humour.

That's still just Tyson Fury.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

What bad boxing scorecards of hers can you point out?

The David Benavidez-Ronald Gavril for one. Byrd scored 116-111 and Moretti scored 117-111. Jesse Magdaleno 118-110 over Donaire was rather wide too. Canelo has always had favorable scorecards to an extent I think one has to accept that given his economic power in the sport but those judges in particular cast a shadow over whether or not Golovkin can get, what passes in boxing as, a fair shake

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Monday Bandele posted:

There's another middleweight world title fight today with Billy Joe Saunders v Willie Monroe. If you're not familiar with BJS, imagine Tyson Fury without any of the charisma or sense of humour. Monroe has been treated like poo poo while he's been in London and was kicked in the balls by Saunders' kid at the weigh in.

I'd love Billy Joe to get battered but as Monroe is pretty much the same style of fighter but worse, that unfortunately won't happen. Maybe he'll get sacrificed in Astana at GGG's homecoming after this.

BJS and his posse are pure trash. I remember there was a video a while back of him threatening someone and forcing them to take off their clothes, real sociopathic school bully sort of poo poo.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
I've been watching the fights leading up to BJS V Monroe and I can only imagine they emptied a homeless shelter, some of these guys look half the size of their opponent.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Szymanski posted:

I've been watching the fights leading up to BJS V Monroe and I can only imagine they emptied a homeless shelter, some of these guys look half the size of their opponent.

FrankWarren.txt

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

The David Benavidez-Ronald Gavril for one. Byrd scored 116-111 and Moretti scored 117-111. Jesse Magdaleno 118-110 over Donaire was rather wide too. Canelo has always had favorable scorecards to an extent I think one has to accept that given his economic power in the sport but those judges in particular cast a shadow over whether or not Golovkin can get, what passes in boxing as, a fair shake

Yeah ok those scores aren't good, they're both about 2 rounds off of what the consensus view of those fights are, but it's not as horrible as I feel its being made out. It's also worth noting that her card of Benavidez was the most accurate of all of the judges, for whatever that's worth.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeah ok those scores aren't good, they're both about 2 rounds off of what the consensus view of those fights are, but it's not as horrible as I feel its being made out. It's also worth noting that her card of Benavidez was the most accurate of all of the judges, for whatever that's worth.

I've got a new one to add to that list.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

yeah I'm eating some crow now

I can't believe Dave Moretti is the one who saved us

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

The SituAsian posted:

Also two of the three judges are the very bad Adelaide Byrd and the very shady Dave Moretti so imo the pick has to be Canelo by (crooked) unanimous decision.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Somehow Mayweather/McGregor had more legitimacy than GGG/Canelo

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

exploded mummy posted:

Somehow Mayweather/McGregor had more legitimacy than GGG/Canelo

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
poo poo like that makes want to stop watching boxing.

maybe i'll just turn fights off before we get the judgement from now on.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

adalaide byrd scored cotto - yoshihiro to yoshihiro

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

big money big clit posted:

Adelaide Byrd is secretly an anti-boxing crusader and her whole career has been an attempt to de-legitimize and destroy the sport.

This also true of all of the promoters and sanctioning bodies and belt organizations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I would've been peeved at a 114-114 score if THAT was the worst one.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

i'm just gonna repost what I had in the fight thread

Troy Queef posted:

for a long time the judge that scored Antuofermo-Hagler I (another contentious draw) in favor of Marvelous Marvin printed up business cards with the tagline "I Got Antuofermo-Hagler Right", and I bet Dave Moretti is calling up Vistaprint to make similar cards after tonight

sadly between now and the rematch we won't have a fight as incredibly insane and British as Hagler-Minter, which is still one of my favorite fights

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Wow all these great fights this year, maybe boxing will finally regain some of its past popularity.

*in a dark closet somewhere, a shriveled monkey's paw closes a finger*

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Fwiw i feel it was a great fight still. As someone who wanted Golovkin to win I wish to went to the body early but understand why he didn't as Canelo was sharp on the counter. A draw is-if you're coming in with incredibly low expectations-defensible but I feel Golovkin won 8-4 ( won rounds 3 to 10). CJ Ross stopped judging after the backlash from the just as unfathomable draw card in Canelo-Mayweather and hopefully this gets Adelaide Byrd out of the sport as well.

Imo Golovkin should just take the Billy Joe Saunders fight in Kazakhstan. Unify all the belts and retire. He is only getting older and will never get a fair shake against Canelo.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The SituAsian posted:

Imo Golovkin should just take the Billy Joe Saunders fight in Kazakhstan. Unify all the belts and retire. He is only getting older and will never get a fair shake against Canelo.

Too much money involved in a rematch. Beyond that I kinda do think GGG actually tries to give the crowd what they want? His handlers might stop him I guess, but they'd have to see him declining quite a bit past where he was tonight.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer

Noctone posted:

Wow all these great fights this year, maybe boxing will finally regain some of its past popularity.

*in a dark closet somewhere, a shriveled monkey's paw closes a finger*

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It's cool that almost every time I try to unconditionally enjoy boxing there's always some dumb poo poo that happens that leaves a rotten taste in my mouth even though everything before it was nifty.

Andro
Jun 30, 2010
I scored it close for Canelo, but that 118-110 Canelo card was whack. Overall, a draw isn't terrible, but it wasn't the right decision.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Andro posted:

I scored it close for Canelo, but that 118-110 Canelo card was whack. Overall, a draw isn't terrible, but it wasn't the right decision.

back pedaling little by little

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I love boxing but it's such a pile of poo poo.

Andro
Jun 30, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

back pedaling little by little

GGG clearly won. Fix was in.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Boxing Thread 2017: In With The New

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I love boxing but it's such a pile of poo poo.

Only boxing could have a legitimately great event like that which fulfilled expectations leave a sour taste in everyone's mouth.

Or at least only boxing could make that happen consistently when they actually get the fulfilled expectations part down.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Found the one other person agreeing with Adalaide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYxo5vcVFSE

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Has Bob Bennett come out and passionately defended Adalaide Byrd yet? He does it every time this happens, and even when it hasn't happened yet but people preemptively ask for anyone but her to judge like Lomachenko did a few years back (they assigned her, naturally)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Has Bob Bennett come out and passionately defended Adalaide Byrd yet? He does it every time this happens, and even when it hasn't happened yet but people preemptively ask for anyone but her to judge like Lomachenko did a few years back (they assigned her, naturally)

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
lol loving jesus

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hexwren posted:

Yeah, it's over. gently caress.

I hate being right.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/mannypacquiao/status/909267298778701824

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
It'll be depressing in the rematch two or three years from now when a shot GGG loses to a physical prime Canelo