Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

hard counter posted:

by all means, clean your hands with strong chemicals even for no reason if you're gonna directly or indirectly put your hands in someone, it's good sanitary practice

just don't go all howie mandel when you realize the peanut butter in that sandwich has an acceptable non-zero amount of insect larvae, rat hairs, mashed up bits of fly, etc since the whole world is also a big gradient smear of germs

If I can't taste it, then... :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I love you

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Trivial Pursuit is a loving terrible game. Trivia contests are fine, but when you introduce the board and dice you ruin it. It takes about nine years to complete a game because of all the dice rolling and the fact that most questions you answer don't even earn you any points. You can get six questions right in a row and get nothing for it. It's almost as bad as Monopoly.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If there's a two lane road that goes into a one lane road due to construction, someone who tries to sneak up to merge at the beginning of a traffic line should not be let in.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
Everyone loves my neighbor's dog. yeah, i love sweating my rear end off at 1am only to wake up around 5to it's yiffing session. God damnit sally control your sons poo poo pet he abandoned on your doorstep before i get more grumpy...

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jastiger is consistently one of the best posters on the forums and significantly contributed to a rich posting culture

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

If I can't taste it, then... :shrug:

Thing is, none of these are good arguments for not washing your hands. They're deflections of "Yeah, but this is also dirty." and "Well, it's not as bad as this." Washing your hands is a good habit that actively reduces contaminants and it takes you a couple of minutes. What is the direct argument for not doing it after using the bathroom? How does it make things worse than not doing it?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

For fucks sake just wash your hands after you piss or poo poo. How is this even a thing?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Solice Kirsk posted:

For fucks sake just wash your hands after you piss or poo poo. How is this even a thing?

People are disgusting

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Stupid people have a natural aversion to doing as told by smart* people. See also: unionizing, vaccination, seatbelts, etc.

*) And I don't mean like "gigantic pulsating brain with lasers" smart, I mean smart enough to wash their hands after going to the loo.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I work in a hospital, so I wash my hands before and after gloves. Hundreds of times a day.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aramek posted:

I work in a hospital, so I wash my hands before and after gloves. Hundreds of times a day.

WHY DO YOU PISS ON YOUR HANDS SO MANY TIMES?!?!? - A very smart goon.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aramek posted:

WHY DO YOU POST SO MANY TIMES???

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Is that a poop joke, or about my lovely opinions? Either way, I love you all very much.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It is impossible to directly experience and perceive the external world as it really is. It is also impossible to completely disprove the existence of fairies, unicorns, demons, angels, cryptids, psychic phenomena, magic, deities, vampires, werewolves, ghosts, parallel universes, and many other things. So I am actually completely free to believe in these things, or entertain the possibility, however remote, that these entities and concepts are truly real. We can never be certain that these things, and things we can't conceive of, are not actually real, no matter how well we map and measure the physical universe. And it is entirely possible that the models we have formed of the physical universe are incomplete. So I can go right ahead and believe that pixies, goblins, banshees, butt probe aliens, and more are totally real and not mere fictions. And at the very least, these concepts are things which do exist in the human imagination and therefore are products of the universe in exactly the same way that galaxies, trees, atoms, black holes, fungi, bacteria, volcanoes, etc. are all products of the universe, all part of an ongoing event of change. So fairies and dragons and incubi and manticores and Medusa and Cerebus and the Laws of Sympathy and Contagion are all just as really real as elephants, cars, electromagnetism, asteroids, DNA, continental drift, and so on.

Yeah yeah, neuroscience and physics and all that bullshit. But we only know of these things because we perceive them, and i've already explained that our perceptions can be completely wrong, completely different from what actually exists, since it's impossible to perceive the world directly without filtering it through our senses, which in turn create an illusion of the world. So our own minds are telling us that these scientific facts and theories are "true". But why should I trust that? It could all be wrong. We could be living in the Matrix, for all we know. Fairies or pixies or goblins could be loving with our minds, creating illusions that we believe are true. Maybe we're all dreaming in one mass collective hallucination.

Now, you might say "Ah, but Blue Star, if you behave in such a fashion, you run the risk of harming yourself and others. Would you ignore a doctor's advice in favor of voodoo magic?" To which I'll say, "bitch I do what I want." Also,Halloween is coming up.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think ghosts are real.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Delude yourself all you want, just don't harm anyone else

Opie_Yates
Nov 30, 2010

Blue Star posted:

It is impossible to directly experience and perceive the external world as it really is. It is also impossible to completely disprove the existence of fairies, unicorns, demons, angels, cryptids, psychic phenomena, magic, deities, vampires, werewolves, ghosts, parallel universes, and many other things. So I am actually completely free to believe in these things, or entertain the possibility, however remote, that these entities and concepts are truly real. We can never be certain that these things, and things we can't conceive of, are not actually real, no matter how well we map and measure the physical universe. And it is entirely possible that the models we have formed of the physical universe are incomplete. So I can go right ahead and believe that pixies, goblins, banshees, butt probe aliens, and more are totally real and not mere fictions. And at the very least, these concepts are things which do exist in the human imagination and therefore are products of the universe in exactly the same way that galaxies, trees, atoms, black holes, fungi, bacteria, volcanoes, etc. are all products of the universe, all part of an ongoing event of change. So fairies and dragons and incubi and manticores and Medusa and Cerebus and the Laws of Sympathy and Contagion are all just as really real as elephants, cars, electromagnetism, asteroids, DNA, continental drift, and so on.

Yeah yeah, neuroscience and physics and all that bullshit. But we only know of these things because we perceive them, and i've already explained that our perceptions can be completely wrong, completely different from what actually exists, since it's impossible to perceive the world directly without filtering it through our senses, which in turn create an illusion of the world. So our own minds are telling us that these scientific facts and theories are "true". But why should I trust that? It could all be wrong. We could be living in the Matrix, for all we know. Fairies or pixies or goblins could be loving with our minds, creating illusions that we believe are true. Maybe we're all dreaming in one mass collective hallucination.

Now, you might say "Ah, but Blue Star, if you behave in such a fashion, you run the risk of harming yourself and others. Would you ignore a doctor's advice ient intelligentin favor of voodoo magic?" To which I'll say, "bitch I do what I want." Also,Halloween is coming up.

The Universe is a living thing and sentient intelligent life is the way the Cosmos observes itself. That's what Carl Sagan said and I agree with him.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I think the people who embrace that Sagan quote should take it further. We are not just a part of the universe observing itself; we're also a part of the universe making choices for itself. It began with non-life, and then life appeared, and then sentient life appeared, and this is all progressing towards a final and eternal transcendent state.

Blue Star posted:

Now, you might say "Ah, but Blue Star, if you behave in such a fashion, you run the risk of harming yourself and others. Would you ignore a doctor's advice in favor of voodoo magic?" To which I'll say, "bitch I do what I want." Also,Halloween is coming up.

All I can say about living in the Matrix is that rational decision-making will lead towards an equilibrium steady state where the choices you make would be the same whether you thought you lived in the Matrix or not, which you correctly point out is a plausible reality that we're unlikely to learn the answer to.

Caufman has a new favorite as of 05:55 on Sep 18, 2017

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Yobgoblin posted:

Everyone loves my neighbor's dog. yeah, i love sweating my rear end off at 1am only to wake up around 5to it's yiffing session. God damnit sally control your sons poo poo pet he abandoned on your doorstep before i get more grumpy...

If I go for a walk to the shop I can set off about 9 dogs within easy hearing distance of my house, it doesn't take much for them all to go off. gently caress me sideways with a whistle I guess.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Tarantula posted:

If I go for a walk to the shop I can set off about 9 dogs within easy hearing distance of my house, it doesn't take much for them all to go off. gently caress me sideways with a whistle I guess.

A dog whistle?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jastiger posted:

Jastiger is consistently one of the best posters on the forums and significantly contributed to a rich posting culture

Not unpopular in my opinion :blush:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Word to your mother, brotherfucker!" as delivered by Vanilla Ice is one of the best lines in the history of cinema.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Aesop Poprock posted:

This is the equivalent of someone being asked what the best rock bands of all time are and they respond with 1)Aerosmith 2)Green Day 3)Red Hot Chili Peppers

The three best hip hop artists are, in no particular order:

1. Kendrick Lamar
2. MC Hammer
3. Cab Calloway

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

fruit on the bottom posted:

The three best hip hop artists are, in no particular order:

1. Kendrick Lamar
2. MC Hammer
3. Cab Calloway

Hi-de hi-de hi-de-… ho?

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Do they actually work well? Could be worth a shot.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
humans are flesh golems who exist soley to reproduce

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I like Tarot because the art and history is cool, but I also like it because the number of card combinations is potentially astronomical, so there are enough combos that anyone can get a unique sequence. Although it may not, strictly speaking, be good science or application of statistics, I like that there are so many combos that there is probably a true reading in there, cold-reading aside. A 3-card reading has nearly half a million possible draws.

The Buddhist monk I-hsiu, from the Kōan of "Dining with a General", comes across as a petty, passive-aggressive goon, rather than as enlightened. It is okay for the general to have a dress-code. Don't freak out, Master of Zen.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Grandmother of Five posted:

The Buddhist monk I-hsiu, from the Kōan of "Dining with a General", comes across as a petty, passive-aggressive goon, rather than as enlightened. It is okay for the general to have a dress-code. Don't freak out, Master of Zen.

girrrrrrrrrrrl you're gonna get so flamed for this unpopular opinion

mine is that I often find the little "good morning" animations on Facebook really cute and charming despite knowing full well that Facebook is a terrible thing run by vile people, generally

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

People who get smug about how they don't watch award shows are just as bad as the people who get smug about how they don't watch sports.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Grandmother of Five posted:

I like Tarot because the art and history is cool, but I also like it because the number of card combinations is potentially astronomical, so there are enough combos that anyone can get a unique sequence. Although it may not, strictly speaking, be good science or application of statistics, I like that there are so many combos that there is probably a true reading in there, cold-reading aside. A 3-card reading has nearly half a million possible draws.

Not an unpopop but on a related note a fact that always blows my mind is that for regular playing cards the amount of different orderings is so enormous that when you shuffle a deck it's likely that's an order that's never been seen before or will be seen again. It's because there are 52 * 51 * 50... *1 different possibilites and it's hard to grasp how big a number that is. I googled for a good example and found this on reddit, I'm assuming it means if none of the shuffles are repeats.

quote:

Say that there exists 10 Billion people on every planet, 1 Billion planets in every solar system, 200 Billion solar systems in every galaxy, and 500 Billion galaxies in the universe. If every single person on every planet has been shuffling decks of cards completely at random at 1 Million shuffles per second since the BEGINNING OF TIME, every possible deck combination would still yet to have been "shuffled"

Unpopop: I hate when people are like "my exercise is going to the fridge between netflix binges ayy lmao" and stuff like that. People seem to have this weird pride in being lazy and not exercising.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
People who get smug about not watching anything are insufferable and yet we all do it. I find myself saying fictional television shows are monotonous and boring a lot, but plenty folk love them. I could go the rest of my life without watching game of thrones or walking dead or twin peaks and not feel like I was missing out.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

Unpopop: I hate when people are like "my exercise is going to the fridge between netflix binges ayy lmao" and stuff like that. People seem to have this weird pride in being lazy and not exercising.

I think that's usually just self deprecation unless they're using it in a way that's looking down on people that work out

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I agree except with big bang theory. You arw genuinely a better person if you dont like big bang theory.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I'll watch big bang when the girlfriend has it on if only because mayim bialik is oddly attractive

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't get Big Bang Theory. I've tried it more than once because my brother loves it, my sister loves it and my parents love it and they all say I should love it (being a colossal nerd and all) but I just don't understand it. The main guy - Sheldon - has nothing appealing about him. My mum says she likes him because he's "quirky" but he's just annoying. :shrug:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Soiled Meat

Macarius Wrench posted:

I'll watch big bang when the girlfriend has it on if only because mayim bialik is oddly attractive

sever

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

they're just making self deprecating jokes, and now you've made this post on the internet because you have weird pride in working out

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People that brag about being physically weak and lazy are assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
big AHAHAHAHA bang HAHAHAHAHA theory AHAHAHAHAHA might suck less AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA if there werent AHAHAHAHA that loving laugh track AHAHAHAHA every few words AHAHAHAHA it really fucks up AHAHAHAHAHA the flow of any jokes AHAHAHAHA they try to make HAHAHAHAHA

Mu Zeta posted:

People that brag about being physically weak and lazy are assholes

agreed, same goes for literal cucks. i dont mean guys that don't agree with the alt-right, i mean guys that actually are proud of the fact that their girlfriend or wife cheats on them. see: youtube sensation onision