Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Wasabi the J posted:

Based on that and the painting saying "Go Hokies" I'm guessing it's right near the college.

Pulaski is 30 miles from VA Tech and there's no shortage of cheap housing in Blacksburg and Christiansburg much closer to campus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Wasabi the J posted:

Based on that and the painting saying "Go Hokies" I'm guessing it's right near the college.

I swear to God, I thought that sign said "Go Honkies" and I was like "Yup, sounds about right"

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Someone needs to burn this monstrosity to the ground and salt the earth. I'm the delta between the original price and the asking price.

Price History
Date Event Price $/sqft
08/07/17 Price change $50,000 +66.7% $31
07/31/17 Price change $30,000 -40.0% $18
06/16/17 Listed for sale $50,000 +285% $31
01/25/16 Sold $13,000 $8

I wish there were some way to know which projects they thought increased or reduced value. Having it painted but with overspray on the brick and windows, even completely covering the glass above the AC window unit- was that a plus or minus? Adding a bedroom at the cost of the living room- raise or lower the price?

kid sinister posted:

^I like the stairs over the stairs.

Inside or outside? I think the double stairs of death out front are the only way to access the house without scaling the blue tarp cliffs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Those are party stairs.

Why not build a path from the street going up the hill, by the Honkies sign???

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
If they built a path in a new place they would have to haul away the old stairs instead of leaving them underneath to rot :colbert:

Yeah, building stairs that meet the side of the front porch in front of the Honkies sign would have been a little less steep and the front of the house would have looked better from the street. But stairs have already been there, so why would they do something other than the way it's always been done?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I sort of want to buy that outright just so I can spend weekends taking out all of my frustrations by screaming and hitting it with an ax until it collapses.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hey remember that doofus shower with river rocks all over the bottom? I got you one better:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Ashcans posted:

Hey remember that doofus shower with river rocks all over the bottom? I got you one better:

My hometown used to have -- at every intersection and bus stop, it seemed -- these circular trashcans with ashtrays on top. The trashcans were pebbled concrete and this shower reminds me very much of them. It's ... not exactly a positive memory.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ashcans posted:

Makes me feel like I'd be showering surrounded by bees.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Anybody remember those pebble-filled walls, like at an Elementary school, where the pebbles were like 2-5mm in diameter and sometimes had shells?

I know this seems like a fever dream, but I distinctly remember my Elementary and Junior High years picking rocks/shells off of the wall.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Anybody remember those pebble-filled walls, like at an Elementary school, where the pebbles were like 2-5mm in diameter and sometimes had shells?

I know this seems like a fever dream, but I distinctly remember my Elementary and Junior High years picking rocks/shells off of the wall.

I never picked the aggregate off myself, but I remember seeing the pits where other students had.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The elementary school I went to for kindergarten and 1st grade in TX had those, and a pebbled floor too. It was a weird part-indoor part-outdoor space, like the wide long hallway was open on either end and the classrooms were on the sides. It was torn down in 2011 and replaced with a much nicer building.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Pebbledash!

My primary and secondary schools were both like that, as were most of the surrounding housing estates.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Wolfsbane posted:

Pebbledash!

My primary and secondary schools were both like that, as were most of the surrounding housing estates.

Correct me if im wrong. The photos in your link. Did they really use old beer bottles and assorted glass in this stuff?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
In high school the pool was lined with that finish and it sucked trying to dive in the shallow end, let me tell you.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

fist4jesus posted:

Correct me if im wrong. The photos in your link. Did they really use old beer bottles and assorted glass in this stuff?

It was/is a stucco treatment any you basically used whatever cheap roughage you had around. Entirely old glass is called bottledash, or you could just mix some in with gravel to add a little color/sparkle if the local rocks were too boring. The pieces are small and they get worn down by the process, so it's not a wall full of knives if that's what you're thinking.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Related, when I was a kid people would top walls by putting a layer of mortar/cement and then jamming broken bottles in it. Because barbed wire is too expensive, I guess?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Related, when I was a kid people would top walls by putting a layer of mortar/cement and then jamming broken bottles in it. Because barbed wire is too expensive, I guess?

This is really common in third world countries. Broken bottles are free (or very cheap, recycling deposits forfeit) and available. Barbed wire is comparatively expensive and hard to come by.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

This is really common in third world countries. Broken bottles are free (or very cheap, recycling deposits forfeit) and available. Barbed wire is comparatively expensive and hard to come by.

But enough about England.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

tangy yet delightful posted:

But enough about England Baltimore.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Wolfsbane posted:

Pebbledash!

From what I remember of my childhood in Runosmäki, one of the advantages seemed to be that it takes a lot of both effort and materials to get graffiti to show up on it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I don't think this is necessarily crappy construction or even that bad but I've never seen anything like it and to me it's a bit goofy:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

But enough about England.

Hey..! Actually yeah this was really common where I grew up. Only commercial places used barbed (or more commonly razor) wire, residential either used broken glass and dealt with FUD from the neighbours about its legality, or stuck with the time-honoured tradition of yelling at the kids to get off the dang walls. Broken stones often used too.

When I went back home as a late teen I walked out into the yard and some kids jumped down and scattered away, from climbing on the same walls I got yelled at about when I was a kid. Circle of life, so beautiful, single tear.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't think this is necessarily crappy construction or even that bad but I've never seen anything like it and to me it's a bit goofy:

This world doesn't have enough love for Mansard or Gothic Arch Roofs

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Today I learned that Mansard roof means different things in different languages.

e: Also what the gently caress the dude's name was Mansart anyway :psyduck:

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Jerry Cotton posted:

Today I learned that Mansard roof means different things in different languages.

e: Also what the gently caress the dude's name was Mansart anyway :psyduck:

So what's a Finnish Mansard roof? The one you posted is pretty typical for the US.

ETA: Although usually the windows stick out rather than recess, and that one's badly proportioned.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Bonster posted:

So what's a Finnish Mansard roof? The one you posted is pretty typical for the US.

ETA: Although usually the windows stick out rather than recess, and that one's badly proportioned.

This, usually:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Wolfsbane posted:

Pebbledash!

Holy poo poo I finally know what it's called.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

This, usually:

That (in the US) is a Gambrel Roof

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jerry Cotton posted:

This, usually:

We call that a gambrel roof here in the US.
edit: beaten

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I call that a barn roof (and I like it.)

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

In the US the mansard roof is a ubiquitous feature of stand-alone fast-food restaurants and that's all I can see when I look at a house with that kind of roof.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I'll never be able to unsee that in Paris again.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Every lovely condo that goes up in my town has a roof like that. A sort of fake pitched roof around the edge to hide the actual flat roof covering most of the building. Local design panels always call for them to make the building look more "residential" and "fit in". When apartments go up that can admit they are a flat-roofed box and not try to hide it they can actually have some fine looking apartment building architecture rather than "I'm just a really big single family house! No really!" poo poo.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Fun fact: the Mansard roof has no architectural purpose but originated as a tax dodge - houses were only taxed on the area below the roofline, so some genius started building the top floor inside the roof.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Tax-free!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:wrong:

It has walls on two of four sides.

There are untaxable.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Untaxable teepee sounds like a band name

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I woke up this morning with a bad hangover
And my teepee was low-cost again
This happens all the time
It's untaxable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.