Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

just get an xbox to play video games, op

no

much like music, video games were better in the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Why not just use Retropie or something instead of running Mame in Windows

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
that looks like one grade A cat tree in the OP,

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

no

much like music, video games were better in the 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpMvS1Q1sos&hd=1

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Powaqoatse posted:

cmd + arrow down is quicker if youre already navigating around with the arrow keys (arrow up for parent folder)

what the gently caress

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

Why not just use Retropie or something instead of running Mame in Windows

That ain't gonna run Killer Instinct at 60fps

Also I need specific windows software for the leds to change depending on what game is selected

also it was an old computer I had laying around doing nothing

edit: also i needed a special video card to do 320x240; and it had to have VGA. I dont think the retropie does that stuff

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 17, 2017

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
did you get an arcadeVGA or are you doing a radeon + CRTEMUDriver. arcade VGA is way easier but the new CRT EMU driver can support up to a radeon 7xxx which can run SF4 or something if you want. maybe not needed to a low res monitor though.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

im actually driving to manhattan and long island tomorrow. i will have to check this out

i have the computer on a surge protector where if the computer is turned on, it turns on the monitor and the amp. if I leave it in sleep mode won't that feature of the surge protector no longer work?

it depends on how it detects the computer turning on. if its based on current draw once its asleep it should be very minimal so things should stay off. I think you can also have it set to turn on and then off for updates instead of just sleep. it would probably mean the lights and monitor would come on for the duration tho

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

it depends on how it detects the computer turning on. if its based on current draw once its asleep it should be very minimal so things should stay off. I think you can also have it set to turn on and then off for updates instead of just sleep. it would probably mean the lights and monitor would come on for the duration tho

thanks! I'll give it a try. but i definitely would prefer just being able to disable that stupid update popup

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

did you get an arcadeVGA or are you doing a radeon + CRTEMUDriver. arcade VGA is way easier but the new CRT EMU driver can support up to a radeon 7xxx which can run SF4 or something if you want. maybe not needed to a low res monitor though.

i am using the newest version of arcadeVGA. i admit it is probably not needed any more but i read some bad things about the BIOS splash screen running at too high a res and damaging arcade monitors and these things are impossible to find any more so i didn't want to risk it.

i forget what ATI card it specifically is, unfortunately. hopefully it will be good enough to handle 3-d from games like House of the Dead 2 and Marvel Vs Capcom? (MVC had 3-d in the backgrounds)

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
yeah you will probably be about to run a lot of stuff with the ArcadeVGA. the bios screen thing is real, but the CRTemudriver guy released this recently:

http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=64

it forces the BIOS to display in the native res for your monitor and gets around some of the problems. Not sure how this interacts with the ArcadeVGA though

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

yeah you will probably be about to run a lot of stuff with the ArcadeVGA.

did you mean to say I will be able to or not be able to run a lot of stuff?

i did a bit of research and it looks as though it's an AMD Radeon HD 5450 1GB GDDR3. should that be good enough to run some late 90s/early 2000s 3d games? i would try it but i still have 1 day left on my ROM collection download and it will be a few days before i have time to set up the computer with win10 and all that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mame boxes are one of the very few times it makes sense for a regular human being to use linux

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

atomicthumbs posted:

what the gently caress

??

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

mame boxes […] regular human being

:ironicat:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
why you son of a bitch

would a "not normal" person post on an internet forum from high school to their 30s?? :smug:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

did you mean to say I will be able to or not be able to run a lot of stuff?

i think you should be able to run a lot of stuff because of the low res

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
good job, good thread. ty for posting it here!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

this is awesome. i love stuff like this. :)

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

why you son of a bitch

would a "not normal" person post on an internet forum from high school to their 30s?? :smug:

:smugmrgw:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

If they make UK versions of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Take-Charge-Smart-Power-Strip/dp/B005DTBCD2

You can leave the PC plugged-in and on standby so it does updates at night with the wake timer and once the power to the passes the ON threshold it will throw the relay to power on the CRT/and/whatever

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

goldmine

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
i hope you only kept those roms for 24 hours op

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Olivil posted:

i hope you only kept those roms for 24 hours op

he owns all the boards, duh

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

NoneMoreNegative posted:

There is a clone romset in MAME with the UK revisions, should be the tmht set . Give it a spin, I think the only difference is the title splash, they don't swap out weapons on any of the turtles etc.

I actually did try this and the lyrics for the song are changed!

Do winners not do drugs in the UK, too?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Schadenboner posted:

Do winners not do drugs in the UK, too?

I didn't think to look but I'm sure it doesn't say US Drug Enforcement Administration and Nancy Reagan on it lol

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

If they make UK versions of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Take-Charge-Smart-Power-Strip/dp/B005DTBCD2

You can leave the PC plugged-in and on standby so it does updates at night with the wake timer and once the power to the passes the ON threshold it will throw the relay to power on the CRT/and/whatever

That's what I am using! However I'm pretty sure being in sleep mode will be considered "on" as it's using power so it would keep all the other stuff on 24/7

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

That's what I am using! However I'm pretty sure being in sleep mode will be considered "on" as it's using power so it would keep all the other stuff on 24/7

There is a dial on the side where you can tune the threshold where it engages. They ship super sensitive so they engage on like <5W but you can dial it in so it turns off when the board is in S3

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

or just use linux, god

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Dude this is loving amazing and I wish you were my uncle so I could gawk at it

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

There is a dial on the side where you can tune the threshold where it engages. They ship super sensitive so they engage on like <5W but you can dial it in so it turns off when the board is in S3

oh, that's pretty cool

i am thinking maybe what i will do is just unplug the USB wifi dongle it is using, and only plug it in when i need to update my ROMs or whatever, and i will have windows then update

is windows 10 still going to give me annoying popups about updating even if it is not on the internet?

Dodoman posted:

Dude this is loving amazing and I wish you were my uncle so I could gawk at it

you can play it too, not just gawk!!

am i the only one who constantly (~25% of the time) jumps in fighting games when I mean to press right or left? like half the time when i try to do a back forward move or half circle forward, i jump. i am wondering if these joysticks suck rear end, or it is me who sucks rear end

it's been so long that i have seen a fighting game in an arcade that i don't remember if this always happened or not :thunk:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

oh, that's pretty cool

i am thinking maybe what i will do is just unplug the USB wifi dongle it is using, and only plug it in when i need to update my ROMs or whatever, and i will have windows then update

is windows 10 still going to give me annoying popups about updating even if it is not on the internet?

yeah its gonna give you ones saying it hasn't been able to update

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'll bet rich assholes would pay beaucoup for these. If you up your throughput (and the second is always faster than the first) you could have a "side hustle" as the kids say these days.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

i just checked out that xtension cabinet. it looks pretty cool! i was just a stickler and absolutely needed a working coin mech and a low-res CRT. mortal kombat 3 still looks amazing on it to this day, but i don't like the way it looks on an LCD :(

maybe 4k LCDs with those shaders or something will some day change my mind. if I had the time, i would start a kickstarter for a 25" low-res LCD (preferably OLED). like a flat screen LCD but its native resolution was like 320x240 or whatever (slightly higher maybe for games like MK3 but you get the point). i would think though niche, it could do really well! but lol if you think i have that much dynamo

also if you are really bummed about not getting an SNES classic, i could possibly help you out. it looks like when the gamestop website was making GBS threads itself i might have preordered one of the bundles. you can have it at cost, but keep in mind i had to buy the stupid bundle with wireless controllers and a Ryu statue and other garbage. i dont really feel like dealing with ebay and i dislike scalpers

i totally get the CRT factor. the fighting game community still plays stuff like street fighter 2 super turbo and marvel vs capcom 2 on mounted arcade boards with crts they lug around. it looks so good that way and avoids the most lag. just for around the house though i don't mind playing in windowed on a LCD, so the retropie works out for my case

also, i appreciate the offer on the snes classic, but i'm sure there's another goon around here that wants it more than i do. to be honest i actually bought a couple of snes usb controllers this weekend so the thing is kinda redundant at this point.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

If you look online at arcade builds there are a ton of terrible one's using old Dell LCD monitors. You might as well just be playing on your computer at that point.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

holy poo poo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

If you look online at arcade builds there are a ton of terrible one's using old Dell LCD monitors. You might as well just be playing on your computer at that point.

yeah I really don't like those. there's this one i keep seeing for sale that looks like a giant Nintendo controller but it is a "arcade cabinet" and I'm like "why the hell would I want to play NES games with an arcade joystick" and my 2nd thought is "this is the same as standing in my living room in front of a TV"

i definitely envy people who are happy with LCDs for their arcades but my brain wont let me enjoy it. it's not so much the lag as it's the fact that they look like poo poo when scaled, and i hate filters

Schadenboner posted:

I'll bet rich assholes would pay beaucoup for these. If you up your throughput (and the second is always faster than the first) you could have a "side hustle" as the kids say these days.

people have told me that and i respond with the fact that even if i charged 3k for the whole thing, i would have worked for $3 an hour because of how long it took me

Shaggar posted:

yeah its gonna give you ones saying it hasn't been able to update

ugh. there is no way to disable it?

i remember seeing a programs goons used to recommend like crazy to stop all the update poo poo, spying, and to fix other annoyances. i can't remember what it is called though. i did a lot of googling and can't find it. it's not Win10Clean or Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4.3. anyone have any idea what it's called?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

people have told me that and i respond with the fact that even if i charged 3k for the whole thing, i would have worked for $3 an hour because of how long it took me

Sounds like you just need to hike your prices and streamline your production.

Might I suggest using SAP?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Enterprise (and Ed, maybe) editions have the only native mechanism to disable updates and update warnings because they assume in those situations its being done for good reason or being managed by some other application. MS is tired of their CVEs going unpatched and being the vector and they're going to fight you if you try to disable them. You're better off just going along with it. Put the system in standby when you aren't using it and specify the "active hours" or whatever its called so it will patch on off hours. If it sees pending updates, it will create a wake timer automatically and apply them outside your normal use hours and go back to sleep so long as you haven't turned that off in your power management (you shouldn't)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
actually it looks like i won't have to keep my arcade machine in sleep mode for the rest of my life nor will I have to use Windows 10: Bodega ATM Edition

and this is the win 10 pop-up I get, even with updates being forced off by registry hacks or whatever the hell I did:

this pop up steals focus from EVERYTHING and even "greys out" the rest of the screen so I have to click on "get updates".

is there any way to disable this poo poo? I am 99% certain it would minimize mame and all my friends will point and laugh at me

because after a ridiculous amount of searching, i found out how to stop that from ever happening again

open a command prompt
code:
cd /d "%Windir%\System32"
takeown /F MusNotification.exe
icacls MusNotification.exe /deny Everyone:(X)
takeown /F MusNotificationUx.exe
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /deny Everyone:(X)
rem
crisis averted! :sweatdrop:

edit: some people were so desperate they just made it so MusNotificationUx.exe was calc.exe because at least calc.exe doesn't steal focus lol

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ugh. there is no way to disable it?

i remember seeing a programs goons used to recommend like crazy to stop all the update poo poo, spying, and to fix other annoyances. i can't remember what it is called though. i did a lot of googling and can't find it. it's not Win10Clean or Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4.3. anyone have any idea what it's called?

they've made it hard to disable cause every time they create that option people disable it cause they don't know any better. The best solution is still to let it automatically update. it happens like once a week at 4am or whenever you choose and you'll never notice it.

• Locked thread