Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
That's good to hear. I know people in this or another comic thread helped me out a few years ago when I decided to complete my Hellblazer collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We're rolling in 80's/90's DC stuff right now if you need some of that stuff!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

We're rolling in 80's/90's DC stuff right now if you need some of that stuff!

drat I might need to make a trip up north.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

drat I might need to make a trip up north.

Hold off a bit, I have 27 more long boxes to tape and price at $1 each and then we have 66 boxes of $1 nonsense to alphabetize.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

Pretty much. I try to flip through every single book so I don't miss a key/valuable issue. We'll grade and price the "good" stuff and then make a combined offer on all of it. We try to make as good of an offer as possible as we want the seller to feel good about letting the books go.

Same around here. Nobody's trying to get rich off of other people's books.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Same around here. Nobody's trying to get rich off of other people's books.

No but it's definitely helping the bottom line. We've recently started buying preowned statues and MIB figures. With quite a bit of success.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 18, 2017

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

My shop recently did a sale where they fell so far behind processing their back issues that the owners just flipped through everything that wasn't processed to pull out anything of any value and put the rest of it on sale for $1 each. When I talked to him on Wednesday one of them said they'd sold like 40 boxes of stuff. I felt kinda bad because I knew they were way behind for a while and I've always wanted to offer to go in on like a random Sunday with a few podcasts and spend the day processing back issues if they'd toss me a free trade or two.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Hold off a bit, I have 27 more long boxes to tape and price at $1 each and then we have 66 boxes of $1 nonsense to alphabetize.

What kind of monster doesn't keep his books in a proper order??? Mine are divided by publisher, then theme (Spider-Man, X-Men, Vertigo, etc.), then by series and by issue.

I also scan them all into Comic Collectorz because I'm that guy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dunbar posted:

My shop recently did a sale where they fell so far behind processing their back issues that the owners just flipped through everything that wasn't processed to pull out anything of any value and put the rest of it on sale for $1 each. When I talked to him on Wednesday one of them said they'd sold like 40 boxes of stuff. I felt kinda bad because I knew they were way behind for a while and I've always wanted to offer to go in on like a random Sunday with a few podcasts and spend the day processing back issues if they'd toss me a free trade or two.

We're blowing out our backstock on Monday during our Eclipse sale, we're hoping to move 40-50 half boxes.

Medullah posted:

What kind of monster doesn't keep his books in a proper order??? Mine are divided by publisher, then theme (Spider-Man, X-Men, Vertigo, etc.), then by series and by issue.

The massive collection we bought was in chronological purchase order.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Medullah posted:

IMO if you don't sort your collection primarily by author and secondarily by release date you're on the wrong side of history.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

The massive collection we bought was in chronological purchase order.

Eeek. I held onto a friend's collection for a while as he was moving, and I had a OCD breakdown. Not only was everything not bagged and boarded, it was long boxes full of pull bags with that week's pulls.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

Eeek. I held onto a friend's collection for a while as he was moving, and I had a OCD breakdown. Not only was everything not bagged and boarded, it was long boxes full of pull bags with that week's pulls.

Half of the 55 box collection was unbagged. It was horrible.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

Just let me know dude. I'd love to fill in a ton of my Action/Superman & Detective/Batman runs from the 80s and 90s

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

Just let me know dude. I'd love to fill in a ton of my Action/Superman & Detective/Batman runs from the 80s and 90s

We got so much of that! I'll post in here as the project progresses.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Half of the 55 box collection was unbagged. It was horrible.

Could be worse. I got a free collection from an uncle that was bagged with dirty decades old bags.

He had cats.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jordan7hm posted:

Could be worse. I got a free collection from an uncle that was bagged with dirty decades old bags.

He had cats.

I passed on a clearly cat-pissed collection recently. It just wasn't worth it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

JordanKai posted:

IMO if you don't sort your collection primarily by author and secondarily by release date you're on the wrong side of history.
What madness is this?

e: Since we're sort of talking about old books, a friend of mine sent me these recently...

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 18, 2017

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I just started working at a local comics store, it's pretty rad so far; awesome manager, rad customers, unsettling owner (who mostly works the convention circuit).

My manager mentioned to me the other day that a good way to make some extra cash on the side, and a major perk of the job, is to buy up hot new issues (esp. variants) with our discount on Wednesday and flip 'em on eBay over the next week- does anyone know a good resource to follow for what's especially in demand?

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Peanut Butler posted:

I just started working at a local comics store, it's pretty rad so far; awesome manager, rad customers, unsettling owner (who mostly works the convention circuit).

My manager mentioned to me the other day that a good way to make some extra cash on the side, and a major perk of the job, is to buy up hot new issues (esp. variants) with our discount on Wednesday and flip 'em on eBay over the next week- does anyone know a good resource to follow for what's especially in demand?

WTF? Your manager literally told you that hurting the stores bottom line is cool? I literally can't even. I'm a bartender by trade and that's like my manager telling me buy a bunch of shots when it's happy hour and resell them when it's not! What the gently caress

Edit: your manager is stealing from the store.

Old Man Pants fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 17, 2017

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

lol what, you've never comped a drink or discounted a tab for a regular knowing it'll net you a fatter tip and a loyal customer? Maybe that's more of a dive bar thing, idk what kinda place you work at, but it was typical when I was bartending

the owner sees that some workers are buying 2-3 copies of books he also knows are gonna take off, and orders extras. We're not selling em, like, outside the store with a big sign that says "cheaper than inside!", we're doing comics speculation online with an edge of being closer to the top of the distribution chain and cutting costs by a buck

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Don't worry. You couldn't find a safer space for shady business practices than a Rhyno thread.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Don't worry. You couldn't find a safer space for shady business practices than a Rhyno thread.

I uh...I'm not sure how to take that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

He's upset you're still selling watches from your oversized trench coat.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Old Man Pants posted:

WTF? Your manager literally told you that hurting the stores bottom line is cool? I literally can't even. I'm a bartender by trade and that's like my manager telling me buy a bunch of shots when it's happy hour and resell them when it's not! What the gently caress

Edit: your manager is stealing from the store.

If they're ordering extra copies so that the employees can do this it's not really stealing from the store. It's offloading risk on to the employees. It's definitely a lovely practice though.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Peanut Butler posted:

lol what, you've never comped a drink or discounted a tab for a regular knowing it'll net you a fatter tip and a loyal customer? Maybe that's more of a dive bar thing, idk what kinda place you work at, but it was typical when I was bartending

the owner sees that some workers are buying 2-3 copies of books he also knows are gonna take off, and orders extras. We're not selling em, like, outside the store with a big sign that says "cheaper than inside!", we're doing comics speculation online with an edge of being closer to the top of the distribution chain and cutting costs by a buck

I mean comping a drink for a regular is one thing but this is ordering extra inventory to do so, and telling a new employee that's the way things are rung. Ordering extra inventory to give away seems like a super lovely business plan and telling a new employee hey you can give poo poo away for free or sell it for your own profit for side money seems ludicrous.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I'm a retail manager and if I got caught using my discount to flip poo poo on eBay I'd get fired immediately

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I wonder how lucrative that actually is for them. I can't imagine flipping your discounted xmen blue 6 is gonna net you a profit worth your time. And the way variants work (at marvel at least), you're just tanking your store's profit margin so you can score an extra six pack of beer lol

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

judging by night deposits, we're doing pretty well, and we make waaaay more off of Warhammer, M:TG/Pokemon, and expensive figurines

And yeah like, it's not a shitload of money to pick a few books that'll go on eBay sometime in the following month for $8-$14, but I'm making about $800/mo off my paycheck there and another ~$500 from freelance contract work; any extra bit helps a lot. Like if holding onto something for a bit and mailing it out means I don't have to visit the food bank every day, I'm gonna be interested in that.

anyway I'm guessing the answer to my question is "nope" or so I'll look elsewhere for that, and follow this thread for future shop talk!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Feel free to stick around and chat dude, I'm not judging anything. If I get wind that a book is exploding on release day I buy a copy for myself to later toss on Ebay.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In other fun news, somebody sold us some comics that were stolen.

The punchline is the comics were all garbage, nothing worth more than $2 each and we paid out about $150 for all of it but the owner had claimed the stolen collection was worth $3000. He's gonna have some explaining to do if he made an insurance claim.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Rhyno posted:

In other fun news, somebody sold us some comics that were stolen.

The punchline is the comics were all garbage, nothing worth more than $2 each and we paid out about $150 for all of it but the owner had claimed the stolen collection was worth $3000. He's gonna have some explaining to do if he made an insurance claim.

"He must've sold the really good ones somewhere else, or kept them."

Unless he had every book accounted for I suppose.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RevKrule posted:

"He must've sold the really good ones somewhere else, or kept them."

Unless he had every book accounted for I suppose.

I am told there is a spreadsheet. The cop who showed up to pick them up commented "that's $3000 worth of comics?" Definitely not as cool as when I caught the guys who had stolen from someone I knew.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well you see, just by virtue of someone wanting it bad enough to steal it, the valuation increases a hundredfold

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Well you see, just by virtue of someone wanting it bad enough to steal it, the valuation increases a hundredfold

I mean, if someone collects a lot of something it has to be valuable right?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
You say, eyeing your OSKO Transformers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So uh, this is a super rare and valuable book right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rare, maybe.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Check the back covers.
http://www.recalledcomics.com/MalibuSun13ErrorVariant.php

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yeah, nope. No winners. He knew what he had. He also seriously thought he as gonna get $100 a pop for them. We previously purchased two copies from him and neither have sold. He came back today and after insulting mine and my boss's intelligence for half an hour we passed on them. He came back a bit later and threw a crazy low number at us so we bought them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wanna have a look at the person who loved Spawn so much they stockpiled eight preview magazines and kept them mint.

• Locked thread