Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Yeah those are great. I need to get on with my Tzeentch army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

richyp posted:

Finished the 3 groups of Chaos Warriors so I can now move on to a different looking model :)

5 Chaos Warriors with the Mark of Nurgle

5 Chaos Warriors with the Mark of Khorne

5 Chaos Warriors with the Mark of Tzeentch

Representatives of the Chaos Skittles Warband:

Those turned out great, i really like the specific colour choices. Now do a set of empty bases in memory of Slaanesh :v:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Bistromatic posted:

Now do a set of empty bases in memory of Slaanesh :v:

Haha, you just saved me a box of Warriors :)

Alternatively an after party large base with gimp masks, empty syringes, bottles of lube and beer cans but no one to be seen.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Just finished the engine glow on those corvettes. I always love this part and it really makes the scheme.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Finished Kingdom Death survivors. Beetle Knight armour, with Thunder Maul and Death Mask, and Gorm armour with axe and lantern.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bistromatic posted:

Just finished the engine glow on those corvettes. I always love this part and it really makes the scheme.

I'd love to see the entirety of your fleet when it's done. Bonus points for a spacey backdrop.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Shadin posted:

I’ve never actually bought paint online. I see Miniature Market and The War Store both seem to be the place(s) to get VMC, anyone have any horror stories or is there a better site I’m missing?

id say order with confidence. ive placed a lot of orders with miniature market and had zero issues

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I order all my stuff from those two stores. Both are highly recommended. If you are less than 99 bucks, TheWarStore has cheaper shipping. (Or it was last time I checked.) TheWarStore uses USPS, i think. MiniatureMarket uses FedEx Smartpost, which is sometimes better, sometimes worse than USPS.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Noble Knight can be fairly cheap too with USPS shipping although man does their website and especially searching drive me crazy some times.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
A while back, I got some new single-part putties: Mr. White Putty and Mr. White Putty R (the latter is a less-viscous version of the former). I would just like to say that they're amazing, especially Mr. White Putty R. It's got the consistency of very thick paint (or maybe something like pudding?), and it's really easy to fill in gaps with. It's also easily sandable. I've used Mr. Dissolved Putty for a long time, which works a lot like paint, but you can only really use that for filling in tiny gaps. Unfortunately, they're all fairly hard to find (I've only been able to find Mr. White Putty R on Ebay).

Also, if you're building plastics and you don't have Tamiya Extra Thin Cement, get some. It's thin enough that it flows into all the cracks and anything on the surface just evaporates. I used to use Testors, but that poo poo is just way too thick to work with when you're trying to put together some tiny-rear end figurine.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Don't forget to get the citadel paint app today if you want a chance to win some paints!!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Bistromatic posted:

Is the engine glow effect done primarily with an airbrush or brush brush?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished a second squad today

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Bistromatic posted:

Glow effect looks great!

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

A while back, I got some new single-part putties: Mr. White Putty and Mr. White Putty R (the latter is a less-viscous version of the former). I would just like to say that they're amazing, especially Mr. White Putty R.

Thank you for this post. I have a bunch of minis with a lot af cracks to fill, and I was a little bit anxious about doing it with greenstuff, as it doesn't seem sticky enough.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

A while back, I got some new single-part putties: Mr. White Putty and Mr. White Putty R (the latter is a less-viscous version of the former). I would just like to say that they're amazing, especially Mr. White Putty R. It's got the consistency of very thick paint (or maybe something like pudding?), and it's really easy to fill in gaps with. It's also easily sandable. I've used Mr. Dissolved Putty for a long time, which works a lot like paint, but you can only really use that for filling in tiny gaps. Unfortunately, they're all fairly hard to find (I've only been able to find Mr. White Putty R on Ebay).

Also, if you're building plastics and you don't have Tamiya Extra Thin Cement, get some. It's thin enough that it flows into all the cracks and anything on the surface just evaporates. I used to use Testors, but that poo poo is just way too thick to work with when you're trying to put together some tiny-rear end figurine.

I can second this. Just got done using the Tamiya Extra Thin Cement on some Blood Bowl humans that were already assembled when I got them. The cement just slid into the cracks and worked like a charm.

Also, I have the Tamiya version of that putty (they have Basic Putty and White, I have the latter). I assume they use the same formulation as their Mr. Hobby counterparts. It’s awesome.

(And thanks all for the green light on ordering paints via TheWarStore and MiniatureMarket)

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

For brush-on varnishers: anyone have experience with both Vallejo acrylic and poly matte varnish? After some comparison testing with the acrylic matte I'm going to switch over from Liquitex, but I was wondering whether the poly had similar properties with more durability.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Goons, I'm trying to learn to use an airbrush. I'm trying to prime some models, but the airbrush is clogging after 60 seconds. I'm using Vallejo surface primer mixed with some vallejo airbrush flow improver and a few drops of water. What am I doing wrong?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Try to skip the water. What size needle and pressure are you using? For just priming or basecoating you can bump the pressure up (say 20 psi) since you aren't doing fine detail work.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

.35m needle size, 30~ PSI

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Mugaaz posted:

Goons, I'm trying to learn to use an airbrush. I'm trying to prime some models, but the airbrush is clogging after 60 seconds. I'm using Vallejo surface primer mixed with some vallejo airbrush flow improver and a few drops of water. What am I doing wrong?

Put several drops of flow improver in first, then add the primer and mix. Putting the paint in first leads to tears.

Also, you could be getting dry tip - keep an old toothbrush around, and when it starts to clog stop painting, scrub the tip, then try again.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Think you might be right about the tip, will do that.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

OptimusWang posted:

Put several drops of flow improver in first, then add the primer and mix. Putting the paint in first leads to tears.

Also, you could be getting dry tip - keep an old toothbrush around, and when it starts to clog stop painting, scrub the tip, then try again.

I keep a toothbrush and a little jar of alcohol nearby. Rub some alcohol on the tip, spray air to remove the excess, works like a charm for dry tip.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Irate Tree posted:

I'd love to see the entirety of your fleet when it's done. Bonus points for a spacey backdrop.
Don't hold your breath for the entire fleet but i'll take nice pics as i finish batches. Have you seen the first one? https://imgur.com/gallery/4KoMu

NeurosisHead posted:

Is the engine glow effect done primarily with an airbrush or brush brush?

All brush brush, relatively thin paint applied pretty sloppily. I use a normal brush because i want the strongest colour in the recesses so it looks like the engines glow from within. This is also one of the few cases where you don't particularly care about stying in the lines :v:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've never felt the need to use any sort of additive with Vallejo airbrush primers. It's always been fine neat.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I've never felt the need to use any sort of additive with Vallejo airbrush primers. It's always been fine neat.

In theory yeah, I agree with this. But flow improver is worth its weight in gold.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Finished my Foetid Plague Drone.

Close up of the base.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Cross-posting from the 30K thread where a bunch of us have toxx'd a Lord of War/Super Heavy to complete by the end of this year, there's a whole bunch of cool poo poo posted in that thread and more people getting dangerously close to failing so pop by some time!

ijyt fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 17, 2017

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
"Eurgh, I can't really paint" -ijyt

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

ijyt posted:

Cross-posting from the https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=375024730K thread where a bunch of us have toxx'd a Lord of War/Super Heavy to complete by the end of this year, there's a whole bunch of cool poo poo posted in that thread and more people getting dangerously close to failing so pop by some time!

Holy poo poo man

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

w00tmonger posted:

Holy poo poo man

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

w00tmonger posted:

Holy poo poo man

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

ijyt posted:

Everything shadin has ever painted is total poo poo, lol.

Shadin fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 17, 2017

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The tiny maintenance panel markings and the extra rust around the ladder are perfect.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

Holy poo poo man

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

w00tmonger posted:

Holy poo poo man

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

:shobon: Thanks!

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

w00tmonger posted:

Holy poo poo man

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

ijyt posted:

:shobon: Thanks!

I want to ask how you did all that but I don't even know where to start. When you have time you should do a breakdown so the rest of us can attempt it and then rage break an expensive model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Shadin posted:

I want to ask how you did all that but I don't even know where to start. When you have time you should do a breakdown so the rest of us can attempt it and then rage break an expensive model.

Yeah, seconding this. I know roughly whats going on but some step by step breakdowns would be good.