Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Took the forks apart, drained and cleaned them, and drilled out the damper rods in preparation for installing cartridge emulators, new springs, etc. One $8 fork seal blew out last week, so the logical way to respond to that is of course "well, as long as I'm in there..." and buy $300 of upgrade parts :homebrew:

Why does old fork oil smell like raw sewage? The stuff in there was probably the original oil from 1988, considering that it was charcoal grey and full of sediment, but still, jeez. It doesn't smell like that when it goes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Because it's made of fish oil, AFAIK. Very similar aroma to diff oil.

Also that $300 is gonna make it feel like a completely different bike. It'll also make you poor when you realise your shock sucks rear end what with being thirty years old and go to replace that too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I already did the rear shock (got a Hagon model with a remote preload adjuster!) and it was a big improvement. So yeah, I expect this to be another huge change. Especially because the DSPO got into the forks at some point and installed two slightly different height spacers (poorly cut) and put one of the springs in upside down. :hurr:

I have heard the fish oil thing before and that sounds like an old wives' tale. The new stuff I'm putting in is purely petroleum-based, according to its MSDS:

http://spectro-oils.com/wp-content/msds/SPECTRO%20Fork%20Oil_HD%20TYPE%20E.pdf

I know that whale oil was a thing before modern lubricant chemistry, but "modern" in this case means like, the 1930s. If you have a source that can confirm that Honda was seriously using fish/whale oil in the shocks in 1988 I would be interested to read about it.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Must have the same stuff gear oil has in it. Cracking open an old diff can greet you with the pleasant smell of rear end.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I don't know if it was fish oil but the ~30k mile fork oil I removed from my 2013 cbr500r smelt like pure death. BlackMk4 splashed it all over his garage and laptop :stonk:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

After the motor blew up on my CL350, I took it in to the shop and cracked it open and the campus police came by an hour later because someone had reported a smell like an oil fire coming from downstairs.

I thought it smelled like burnt popcorn tbh

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I already did the rear shock (got a Hagon model with a remote preload adjuster!) and it was a big improvement. So yeah, I expect this to be another huge change. Especially because the DSPO got into the forks at some point and installed two slightly different height spacers (poorly cut) and put one of the springs in upside down. :hurr:

I have heard the fish oil thing before and that sounds like an old wives' tale. The new stuff I'm putting in is purely petroleum-based, according to its MSDS:

http://spectro-oils.com/wp-content/msds/SPECTRO%20Fork%20Oil_HD%20TYPE%20E.pdf

I know that whale oil was a thing before modern lubricant chemistry, but "modern" in this case means like, the 1930s. If you have a source that can confirm that Honda was seriously using fish/whale oil in the shocks in 1988 I would be interested to read about it.

I have no hard evidence and am probably talking out my rear end but that's what I've been told.

Sagebrush posted:

I thought it smelled like burnt popcorn tbh

Same.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I am mechanically incompetent and kind of scared. But : Extreme care, brute force, and a very not-descriptive service manual have gotten me from this :

to this :

So : Bought Convertibars for the 1125r. Along with them, They sold me longer front brake and clutch lines. HOWEVER : Literally nobody will sell me a longer throttle cable. American Sportbike was the only carrier, and they're out of business. Motion Pro won't do custom (mail your old ones in) cables any more, and the only lead I have is Barnett, who told me 'yeah, send them in'. I really, really wish I had a place I could bring them to somewhat locally to get it done, rather than wait the weeks it'll take to turn those cables around.

Routing the new clutch line was a goddamn nightmare. But : I learned that the choke point in the middle of the bike that's unreachable is avoidable if i push the cables up vertically. tie the old cable to the new one, and easy peasy.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Such good looking bikes.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nerdrock posted:

I am mechanically incompetent and kind of scared. But : Extreme care, brute force, and a very not-descriptive service manual have gotten me from this :

to this :

So : Bought Convertibars for the 1125r. Along with them, They sold me longer front brake and clutch lines. HOWEVER : Literally nobody will sell me a longer throttle cable. American Sportbike was the only carrier, and they're out of business. Motion Pro won't do custom (mail your old ones in) cables any more, and the only lead I have is Barnett, who told me 'yeah, send them in'. I really, really wish I had a place I could bring them to somewhat locally to get it done, rather than wait the weeks it'll take to turn those cables around.

Routing the new clutch line was a goddamn nightmare. But : I learned that the choke point in the middle of the bike that's unreachable is avoidable if i push the cables up vertically. tie the old cable to the new one, and easy peasy.

Is it a special throttle cable or is it just the standard one with the little cylinders on each end? If the latter, why not just buy a throttle cable that's longer?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You can even make your own throttle cable if you need to. I ended up shortening a cable and reusing the ferrule, then casting silver solder in a drilled piece of wood with the frayed cable because the pull throttle cable for an 84 XR500 is non-existent.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

builds character posted:

Is it a special throttle cable or is it just the standard one with the little cylinders on each end? If the latter, why not just buy a throttle cable that's longer?

Literally no idea. I mean, yeah, it's got the cylinders at the end, but I'm a dummy who is extremely not-resourceful. I've half a mind to grab them, and bring them with me to a local shop or two (well, there's a harley dealer in town, and a smaller mom+pop 'powersports' dealer) and ask some questions.

stock photo :

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nerdrock posted:

Literally no idea. I mean, yeah, it's got the cylinders at the end, but I'm a dummy who is extremely not-resourceful. I've half a mind to grab them, and bring them with me to a local shop or two (well, there's a harley dealer in town, and a smaller mom+pop 'powersports' dealer) and ask some questions.

stock photo :

Yeah, looks pretty normal to me. Just buy any replacement standard throttle cable in however long you want.

Then relax and remember bikes are just like giant lego kits only you use bolts instead of little cylinders.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

builds character posted:

Yeah, looks pretty normal to me. Just buy any replacement standard throttle cable in however long you want.

Then relax and remember bikes are just like giant lego kits only you use bolts instead of little cylinders.

Thanks for the advice. Though, I've seen no other mentions of being able to do that from the 1125r forums on badweatherbikers. I'll see what's around in town though.

interestingly, in my hours of googling this stuff, I saw one poster who got the convertibars on their 1125r and had simply rerouted the throttle, but no details beyond that. I might have some experiments with that this upcoming weekend. and, my Seat Concepts kit will have arrived by then, too (put one on the TW200 and it makes a huge difference!)

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 28, 2017

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

New pegs less slippy

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

shacked up with Brenda posted:

New pegs less slippy

These look like mini bear traps.

I've been meaning to swap out my pegs because they feel quite slippery. How do they work? Do I need a specific model for my bike, or can I just straight up replace them?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Some are generic, some aren't. Look on model-specific forums for your bike, maybe? For instance, on my Hawk you can use the pegs from a VFR, but you have to cut off about a quarter inch of the end and drill the hole out larger.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's an SV so it doesn't get much more generic. If you need a hand swapping them on PM me.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

PSR makes nicely bitey ones without having to go full dirtike, slavvy. I've got em on mine.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Odette posted:

These look like mini bear traps.

Yeah, they have replaceable teeth too, which is nice. I got fancy new boots and the old stock yamaha pegs weren't enough for the hard soles. my foot would slip off several times during a race, once causing a lowside at speed. Essentially, I was going around a left hand bermed bend in 3rd gear, and right in the middle my right foot, of which all my weight was on, slipped off.

These pegs are huge compared to the stockers, so we'll see how wonky riding is on Wednesday.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
New brake light to replace the huge dish that is the stock one. Cleans up the rear a little ready for the single seat that should be here next week. Also have some aluminium side panels that match the tank and fly screen, and billet chain adjusters with integrated rear stand spools on the way too.

Running

Brake on

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's neat. Where did you get it?

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Its a genuine Yamaha part, straight up replacement for the XSR 700, 900 and the XV950. Pricey though, at £120

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Packed it back up last night and went from the 110 degree Tempe desert to the 50 degree rainy Colorado mountains. Going to aim myself at Marquette, MI and then head over the bridge to the lower peninsula, check out the tunnel of trees, and grudgingly return home to Kalamazoo.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Flyscreen came for the Honda. I think it tidies up the front (and hides the scrape the PO gave the tach)

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Threw the new single seat on, looks good with the smaller taillight

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
drat that's a cool looking bike

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
drat that really does transform it.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Got some cheap levers for the Grom.

Got a bunch more goodies coming for this weekend.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's hard to believe the FZ09 engine powers that. Such a dichotomy between aesthetic and sound/performance. Beautiful with that seat.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
FZ07 engine, its the baby version with the 690 twin.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
More Grom stuff:

14t front sprocket, thats 1 down from stock...wheelies are a tad easier now

Tail tidy, the stock fender piece was extremely stout and over engineered, it's kind of impressive.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
What I did today was wonder why the HELL THE BIKE DOESN'T CHARGE AT OPERATING TEMPS ANYMORE???!?!?

2003 Triumph Tiger with 35,800 miles, I replaced the battery under 1000 miles ago, the stator at about the same time (highly rated aftermarket part), the regulator maybe 100 miles before that. At the same time I installed a voltage meter because of the failure that caused all of this occurred around 5 miles from home and I had to push the heavy rear end bike back which sucked. So yesterday it was mid 90's and I had to sit in stop and go traffic for over an hour and I noticed that it wasn't starting as strongly as I expected. I finally got my head out of my rear end and checked the voltmeter at speed and, yup, 10volts at 3000 rpms. It got me home okay and I put it on the charger. This morning it started right up and charged at 12.5, the SECOND it hit operating temperature it dropped to 11 volts. So, "what will I do to my ride today?", spend the evening with my meter testing the same goddamn connections I thought I'd fixed in the fall. Stupid loving rear end in a top hat bike*.

*Which I love because it's giant and bright green,, looks like a cartoon bike and kids point at me when I ride by :)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Finally finally replaced my broken footpeg, an operation which was noteworthy for being exactly as easy as I expected it to be and only took about five minutes.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I, uhh, got it running I guess?

First step was replace the 8mm fuel return line (factory spec is 6mm wtf previous owner) with a 1/4" which is close enough, and tied it together with legit fuel injection hose clamps. No more leak.

Still wouldn't start.

I had it in diagnostic mode by having a jumper bridged and the ECU seems to be stuck in that mode now... disconnect the jumper and still reads off the "all is well" diag code. After wiggling some wires around in the ignition and fuel pump areas I hit the starter just for shits and giggles and it fired right up in my enclosed garage. It's too late to go gently caress around with a questionable bike on the road so I shut it off and called it a night.

I don't think it should be running in diagnostic mode all the time so I have to figure out why that's being a problem, and it's still running the fuel pump continuously instead of priming for a few seconds and stopping until the engine is on.

My guess there's a bundle of wires somewhere that corroded through and are doing unpredictable things.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 17, 2017

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Finally got around to putting some tank grip on my Tuono.

The hole is for the logo but I think that looks tacky so I'd rather just leave the hole.

Also put some pegs on the Grom. That's probably it for this year.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

New rubber day today!

Gotta wait for the parts store to open, I have misplaced my valve stem tool and cannot be bothered to tear the garage apart any longer since it's like $5.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Bar end mirrors.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Took off the drive face off the variator on the elite 250 because I could hear a noise coming from the cvt area. Turns out the drive face backed off the variator drive shaft and completely wore it's own splines down to dust because I didn't torque the nut that holds it together enough I guess.

Weirdest part? Still drove perfectly fine. Honda supremacy I guess

Those splines should go all the way through :yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You are so, so loving lucky it didn't annihilate the splines on the crankshaft instead.