Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jigo is a wild card and his intent to kill the forest spirit is what forces the ceasefire at the end. The emperor wants the head of the spirit because he believes it will make him immortal, and Jigo takes the job in return for a pardon and a load of cash. When the spirit loses its head it turns into a wall of death, and only by returning it's head will it undo the destruction. However in doing so, the spirit finally dies. It sets both iron town and the forest spirits back to even ground, but with the implication that next time there won't be a tie, and someone is going to lose badly.

Thank you

edit: crap, snipe with weakness. Ok, will come back with something, at some point.

impulse 7 effect has a new favorite as of 23:19 on Sep 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've heard talk of it, but I always figured they were joking: as the blue-based UFO in Close Encounters Of The Third Kind passes the red-based UFO that is stopped at a sign, just as it slides behind the terrain, it briefly flashes a right-turn sign to tell the other ship where to go.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
TV related subtlety. On The Expanse, the character Anderson Dawes explains that early EVA suits were made of cheap plastics and that the helmet seals would get too hot and burn into the user's necks. He's got scars where the seals melted into his skin. The marks are imitated by Outer Planets Alliance tattoos, showing solidarity among belters. It's never mentioned on the show, the character Naomi also has these tattoos, hinting at her connection to the OPA before it's even mentioned by a character.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

MisterBibs posted:

I've heard talk of it, but I always figured they were joking: as the blue-based UFO in Close Encounters Of The Third Kind passes the red-based UFO that is stopped at a sign, just as it slides behind the terrain, it briefly flashes a right-turn sign to tell the other ship where to go.

I just saw this in the new digital 4k dolby cinema in town, a friend I was with laughed at that exact scene and now I know why.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Watched Whiplash for the first time the other day. I thought it was funny when drummer guy made fun of football guy for being a good low division football man. Basically stating that nobody cares about 3rd class sports dudes. All the while he's trying to be the best jazz drummer when even less people care about jazz.

Killer movie though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When you read about the director's own experience at music school the finale becomes less happy revenge and more that JK Simmons won and destroyed Miles Teller.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

JK Simmons won and destroyed Miles Teller.

Uh that’s pretty much the only way to read the ending.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Uh that’s pretty much the only way to read the ending.

I agree that there's definitely not a happy ending in there, but I see it as two sick monsters finding each other. One of the best movies I've ever seen.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The movie IT

i actually thought it was apparent but many people I've talked to didn't notice it. When Ben is in the library, the old librarian lady who just turns and STARES at Ben when he's reading. She's in the background and out of focus but sometching about her facial features seem off and her body language suggests she's hunting Ben. A good scare

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
IT (2017)
Pennywise, the clown, can't read.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

oldpainless posted:

The movie IT

i actually thought it was apparent but many people I've talked to didn't notice it. When Ben is in the library, the old librarian lady who just turns and STARES at Ben when he's reading. She's in the background and out of focus but sometching about her facial features seem off and her body language suggests she's hunting Ben. A good scare

I can't wait to catch it again on bluray. People bitched about the jumpscares, but there's more than enough spooks to balance it out.

Also I can't confirm this one, but I picked up a lot of orange lighting when Pennywise was hunting too. In the books his true form and the Deadlights are orange. It was really well done when Eddie was cut off in the house and a solitary window is pouring out orange light onto him. Real loving good. More obviously when he's Dancing for Bev too. Hahaha.

MariusLecter posted:

IT (2017)
Pennywise, the clown, can't read.

Hahahaha.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Clown illiteracy is not a laughing matter, I think we all should know this.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

The movie IT

The secretary is wearing yellow; the person you're talking about is just some rando. Awesome scene, regardless.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also from It: At the beginning, when Pennywise is talking to Georgie he’s smiling and talking all this good stuff about the circus. Georgie is still wary about Pennywise during this. That is until the popcorn moment. At that point Pennywise went too far with the bait and Georgie starts laughing. Pennywise‘s face pretty much drops dead and serious the instant Georgie laughs since there’s no more fear (for that moment) in him. He brings the fear back by telling him his brother will kill him if he leaves the boat. I thought it was a pretty cool moment of how Pennywise has to balance the fear in children while also being appealing enough to get them close.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Drunken Baker posted:

I can't wait to catch it again on bluray. People bitched about the jumpscares, but there's more than enough spooks to balance it out.

Also I can't confirm this one, but I picked up a lot of orange lighting when Pennywise was hunting too. In the books his true form and the Deadlights are orange. It was really well done when Eddie was cut off in the house and a solitary window is pouring out orange light onto him. Real loving good. More obviously when he's Dancing for Bev too. Hahaha.

Hahahaha.

*Her true form

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I posted this in the It thread, but I might as well post it here too. This isn't really a spoiler but I'll be safe.

The movie theater is playing Batman, which came out in the summer of 89, so it isn't anachronistic. Batman's antagonist is also a killer clown.

Meta cinema references are the best.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I would have given It a bunch of points if after Bill's impassioned speech where he didn't stutter they didn't have Richie immediately say "by golly he didn't stutter fellas".

I missed the woman staring in the library
but only because I was watching a tiny spot in the middle through my fingers for 50% of the film.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also from It: At the beginning, when Pennywise is talking to Georgie he’s smiling and talking all this good stuff about the circus. Georgie is still wary about Pennywise during this. That is until the popcorn moment. At that point Pennywise went too far with the bait and Georgie starts laughing. Pennywise‘s face pretty much drops dead and serious the instant Georgie laughs since there’s no more fear (for that moment) in him. He brings the fear back by telling him his brother will kill him if he leaves the boat. I thought it was a pretty cool moment of how Pennywise has to balance the fear in children while also being appealing enough to get them close.

That's loving cool and I can't wait to pick this up on BD to catch that.

When Eddie is at his kitchen table a milk carton out of focus in the background has a missing kid poster on it. I dunno how common it is in America but we don't have it so maybe it's not as subtle a moment as I think.

e: I added spoilers just to be safe if that's the done thing in this thread for new films. Nothing I posted was anything more than minor details though I think

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 22:59 on Sep 14, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
How much difference is there between the new movie and the old series? Not that I think people should be spoiling It for those that haven't seen it, just curious for people that have seen both.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The biggest difference is that the new movie is just the kid stuff, nothing with the characters as adults.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

I would have given It a bunch of points if after Bill's impassioned speech where he didn't stutter they didn't have Richie immediately say "by golly he didn't stutter fellas".

but only because I was watching a tiny spot in the middle through my fingers for 50% of the film.

When Eddie is at his kitchen table a milk carton out of focus in the background has a missing kid poster on it. I dunno how common it is in America but we don't have it so maybe it's not as subtle a moment as I think.

e: I added spoilers just to be safe if that's the done thing in this thread for new films. Nothing I posted was anything more than minor details though I think

It’s subtle in that anyone born in the 90’s and later probably never saw missing kid’s faces on milk cartons and might not have noticed. There were a couple of high profile child murders in the 80’s so kids on milk cartons were a thing for about a decade.

Just like the original novel was a nostalgic throwback for Baby Boomers, this version is aiming squarely for Generation X. I’m not sure if the studio expected this many younger people to see IT. And now Millennials have discovered NKOTB and we’re all the worse for it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I also like that in the background of Bev's house the first time the TV is playing creepy stuff about going down in the sewers already.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Memento posted:

How much difference is there between the new movie and the old series? Not that I think people should be spoiling It for those that haven't seen it, just curious for people that have seen both.

Biggest difference is that the movie is actually good.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

muscles like this! posted:

The biggest difference is that the new movie is just the kid stuff, nothing with the characters as adults.

??????

Way to miss the point of the book, director.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm watching Guardians of the Galaxy again and I decided to pause it and properly read the text onscreen during the mugshots scene. The running gag of people getting Star-Lord wrong is there because Peter's alias is listed as Space-Lord

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

??????

It's a two-parter.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

??????

Yeah there's going to be a second movie, that was always the plan.

Thanks for the replies re: differences, I had figured it would only be the first part with the kids but wasn't sure beyond that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The TV movie was 2 parts too, more or less split in the same fashion. It's a long loving book.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

EmmyOk posted:

I didn't notice Bill not stutter during his speech. lol'd when Richie pointed it out, also some other peeps in the theatre.

And missing kid on a milk carton is a well established trope here in the states.

EmmyOk posted:

I'm watching Guardians of the Galaxy again and I decided to pause it and properly read the text onscreen during the mugshots scene. The running gag of people getting Star-Lord wrong is there because Peter's alias is listed as Space-Lord

Mother! mother!

Fake edit: poo poo is that a meta gag?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
As long as we're talking about IT and subtlety (and forgive me if it's been mentioned), but the scene where Ben was in the library doing his research, there's a figure in the background to his left that's not the librarian and who is out of focus just before the balloon appears but you can tell she(?) is noticeably out of proportion, her face is "off" and her lack of movement is really off putting.

She looks like, if you focused in on her, her face would be monstrous and grotesque but you can never quite make her out. It's easy to miss but remarkably subtle and effective. Lotta cool poo poo in that movie actually.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I won't spoiler block this, since it's even in the trailer:

There's a scene in the IT movie where our characters walk out of school, and walk near a letter sign (gently caress me, I can't think of the name right now), warning kids that the curfew is 7pm.

The subtle thing is that the number on the sign is in red. It gives the sense that, as kids have gone missing, the town has steadily lowering the time kids are allowed out.

Maybe it was 9, but kids kept missing, so they made it 8pm, which didn't help, so now it's at 7.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I watched Baby Driver last night and loved it. It's full of little moments but my favorite was during the major gunfight the gunfire and explosions matched up with the beat of the music playing. This could have been going on the whole movie but I need to go back and watch it.

There's also a scene early in the movie where the lyrics of the song Baby was listening to were shown on the wall in graffiti and other stuff, but that wasn't very subtle

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That stuff was able to happen because Edgar Wright had his editor there on set with them the entire time, editing the movie as they shot it.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

I watched Baby Driver last night and loved it. It's full of little moments but my favorite was during the major gunfight the gunfire and explosions matched up with the beat of the music playing. This could have been going on the whole movie but I need to go back and watch it.

There's also a scene early in the movie where the lyrics of the song Baby was listening to were shown on the wall in graffiti and other stuff, but that wasn't very subtle

Thats the gimmick throughout the entire film, yeah.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I pointed it out in the thread in CineD, but just remembered this thread here. In IT, at the end when the kids do the blood-brother handshake thing, Ben is the guy who winces the least because he's been cut up the most throughout the film.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
In Who Framed Roger Rabbit? when Eddie Valiant decides to give up booze and try to be a hero again, he pours out his bottle and does so in such as a way that not a single air bubble forms and makes it turbulent or splashy. He's poured a lot of booze.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Aleph Null posted:

In Who Framed Roger Rabbit? when Eddie Valiant decides to give up booze and try to be a hero again, he pours out his bottle and does so in such as a way that not a single air bubble forms and makes it turbulent or splashy. He's poured a lot of booze.

I always like the way the movie brings up that before his brothers murder they were circus people right at the start, then never brings it up again - until right at the end, when Eddie hits the player-pipe organ and it starts playing Merry go Round Broke Down and he launches right into his old circus tricks, doing backflips, juggling, anything he can to make the weasels laugh. You totally forget by that point that he used to be in the circus but the movie makes it clear why he is the best bet to save and defeat the toons in question - as a performer, he is at the nexus of human and toon. He is a human who has mastered the tricks of the toons trade and can easily improvise his way out of anything.

Spoilered because while it's old and famous, and most of the plot beats are pretty predictable, that scene completely takes the viewer by surprise so for the 4 people who haven't seen it I wanted to try to preserve the magic.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BioEnchanted posted:

I always like the way the movie brings up that before his brothers murder they were circus people right at the start, then never brings it up again - until right at the end, when Eddie hits the player-pipe organ and it starts playing Merry go Round Broke Down and he launches right into his old circus tricks, doing backflips, juggling, anything he can to make the weasels laugh. You totally forget by that point that he used to be in the circus but the movie makes it clear why he is the best bet to save and defeat the toons in question - as a performer, he is at the nexus of human and toon. He is a human who has mastered the tricks of the toons trade and can easily improvise his way out of anything.

Spoilered because while it's old and famous, and most of the plot beats are pretty predictable, that scene completely takes the viewer by surprise so for the 4 people who haven't seen it I wanted to try to preserve the magic.

I remember the first time I saw it, I was like "what the hell?" and slowly remembered what you spoilered and that made it not only believable, but make absolute sense. I'm so glad they didn't follow the book and that they didn't include the scenes they cut. it is perfect the way it is except for that single effect in Toon Town where Eddie pulls up the road stripe and drags it into a wall. The line he delivers is fantastic, but the bad tracking on the white line sort of sullies it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
An animation thing I really like is with Jessica, where you never see her second eye - until right at the end where she goes from cool-as-a-cucumber to delirious with fear at "Oh my god it's DIP! :gonk:" It's a great visual that really sells how terrifying the situation is, because for a split second she goes from a sexualised toon Femme Fatale, to what the audience finally sees as a real person - not designed, not deliberately saucy, just raw emotion that she has otherwise kept beneath the surface. It's also quite a shock to the audience because that is the only word in the entire movie that she raises her voice about, everything else, even when she's worried, is delivered in a calm demeanor, but that is the one time that she absolutely loses her poo poo.

also the Lena Hyena thing is a really deep cut nowadays - when Eddie thinks he sees Jessica but it isn't her, that character is an old newspaper character from Lil Abner comics called Lena Hyena, who's entire gag is that she is so ugly she is never shown on panel. There was a competition after the character had run for a while, to design Lena Hyena and that would be the canon appearence for her breakout visual. That drawing in the movie is not the winning design though, just their own spin on the character. I only knew that because I heard her line on a rewatch (as Eddie flees her the last things she says before the scene's climax in the street is "It's meeeee~ It's Lena Hyena~!") and I looked up the name out of curiosity.

Here is the strip that revealed her face for the first time, the winner was one Basil Wolverton:

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:04 on Sep 22, 2017

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

I remember the first time I saw it, I was like "what the hell?" and slowly remembered what you spoilered and that made it not only believable, but make absolute sense. I'm so glad they didn't follow the book and that they didn't include the scenes they cut. it is perfect the way it is except for that single effect in Toon Town where Eddie pulls up the road stripe and drags it into a wall. The line he delivers is fantastic, but the bad tracking on the white line sort of sullies it.

What loving book??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

BioEnchanted posted:

.. she goes from a sexualised toon Femme Fatale, to what the audience finally sees as a real person ...

And ironically out of one fetishized genre right into another.