Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Q/A after this episode - thanks to 4chan and 2chan (i'm just lifting it from r/anime)

quote:

How long before Dorothy becomes helplessly drunk?
→ Dorothy gets drunk but she doesn't drink herself unconscious. She probably isn't bottomless either

What was the prefect injecting herself with?
→ She was using a useless medicine. Useless above : It's looks a temporary treatment and she has to keep injecting herself to stay alive hence it being a useless medicine

Ange said the prefect was not her friend but is that really true? Is it not just one of Ange's usual lies?

→ She did not think of the prefect as a friend. She understood that the friend of the prefect was Dorothy and not herself.

Why did the prefect betray them?

→ Prefect was struck by the drug that was a scheme of the secret police under the authority of Normandy. They now held a weakness over her and she ended up becoming a double agent.

What happened to the other people who were training on the spy farm? It was said that only 3 remains so what happened to the others?
→ There are some theories but it is said they've trained anywhere from 500 to 2000 spies in 4 years. However, when a large number of spy candidates are educated together, there is a risk that one spy can be arrested by an enemy country. The information of other classmates will be leaked and the others who are lurking in other countries will be captured. Therefore, it is ideal to make many classes away from the main training area to reduce as much information as possible. Even if one gets caught the information leak will be small and only amount to a small amount of sacrifices. However, there is a limited number of teaches so if you many too many classes you won't have enough teachers. The nubmer of classes is decided by the numbers of teachers taking the number of spy candidates into account. Depending on the situation, Ange only had to think about 20 to 40 students in her class. Classmates may be sent to enemies countries and die there. Your name and status are changed when you go on special missions. Even your classmates will not know your whereabouts and you are considered socially dead. The 3 people who are here just means that they are alive and on duty on the same mission. By the way, the name farm was adopted from camp peary which was a alias for the training camp for the CIA

Nothing you probably wouldn't glean just by watching the episode, aside from some more background on The Farm.

Preview!

Episode 11 [Case 23: Humble Dye/Die(?)]

The new mission assigned to Ange and Dorothy is to assassinate the Princess. Ange hurried and rushed to the Princess; however, Control has already dispatched Zelda under the alias of a bodyguard to monitor the Princess. Furthermore, Dorothy and Chise both disappeared in front of Ange.

A rough translation, might have some mistakes, especially unsure of the title. Hope it helps.

Edit: edited a bit of the translation to be clearer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Daedalus1134 posted:

I wonder if this show ends with Ange and Princess re-swapping, and Ange giving up her life for it.

It's the Victorian thing to do, after all.

Charles Dickens posted:

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

It never really felt like this show was going to have a happy ending, but it really seems doubtful now.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Irisize posted:

It never really felt like this show was going to have a happy ending, but it really seems doubtful now.

I will cling to hope, regardless. Chise might have Lord Horikawa smuggle them to Nippon in thanks for helping save his life. The laundry warehouse might gain a much more hands-on owner. The Princess is seen to fall from a great height... no one noticing Ange catching her out of sight with the Cavorite ball; off to the aforementioned waiting house they go.

Or Ange immediately decides to slaughter everyone in the room who gave her the assignment (maybe including Dorothy, maybe not).

Yep. Clinging to hope.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Guys, what is literally the last thing Ange does in the OP of the show? Pretty sure that will be representative.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Guys, what is literally the last thing Ange does in the OP of the show? Pretty sure that will be representative.

She points her gun at something off screen and behind all her friends. :colbert:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

a kitten posted:

She points her gun at something off screen and behind all her friends. :colbert:

And what's behind her friends the spies?

she's taking the fight to control

E: Let's put it this way. The show has been jumping around the chronology to highlight one detail: The groups motives all lie within one another, and not with a central body, and the last episode made sure to weaken the ties of the one character who would be most beholden to Control as much as is possible. Originally, I thought Ange pointed the gun at the girls, but it's clear that the gun is pointed directly in between all of them.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 12, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think things will end well for dorothy in particular. she doesn't have any unique skills or a special background. i hope i'm wrong, because she is my favorite.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't think things will end well for dorothy in particular. she doesn't have any unique skills or a special background. i hope i'm wrong, because she is my favorite.

uh, she does have a unique skill, and it is driving.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
She's also the only member of the team who is both good at dealing with people and not a galactic space commander or princess.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

She has two. :colbert:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/rollsheeeep/status/907661146982825984

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

She's twenty. In anime world, that makes her that cop who's just two weeks away from retirement.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

If anything it seems like this might be the case just because she's the only one who could actually be loyal to the commonwealth over the rest of the team. Ange and Princess are going to stick with each other, Beato is going to go with whatever Princess wants, and Chise probably doesn't particularly care about choosing sides outside of sticking with the team.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Hell, I was almost convinced that she wasn't going to survive this latest episode.

Out of everyone in the group, though, she does seem like the one most likely to have to sacrifice herself to save everyone. I think that she'll have a moment of conflict between her loyalties to the group and the Commonwealth before she takes the path of noble sacrifice for her friends.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
goodness, i hope this show can stick the landing. it feels like the writer are juggling too many balls all at once

this show really needs the rest of the team

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I seriously hope they can pull off a good finale. This show has been pulling off their downer endings in emotionally satisfying ways. It'd suck if they cheapened the emotional impact of the final episode.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Today's episode was loving great and I'm really excited to see how they finish things off next week.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

aaaa

AAAAAAAA

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Regardless of whether the ending is "happy" or "sad" as long as it's as well written and crafted as the rest of the show this is on track to being not just one of my favorites this season or year, but for all time.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm okay with whatever ending they go with as long as nothing bad happens to Chise, Beato, Dorothy, Ange, Charlotte, or the girl Normandy has spying on Princess.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

a kitten posted:

Regardless of whether the ending is "happy" or "sad" as long as it's as well written and crafted as the rest of the show this is on track to being not just one of my favorites this season or year, but for all time.

Same, this has been a fantastic series and I'm sad it's ending next week.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
No worries. Beato will save them all.

Leave me my insane delusions!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I believe in Beato.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

paragon1 posted:

I'm okay with whatever ending they go with as long as nothing bad happens to Chise, Beato, Dorothy, Ange, Charlotte, or the girl Normandy has spying on Princess.

I'm OK with bad things happening to Beato but only if they're cute and she's like waaaaaa.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they should all die in a shootout for making me suffer through horrible pacing and repetitive plotlines that squander all the promise of the first few episodes

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Davincie posted:

they should all die in a shootout for making me suffer through horrible pacing and repetitive plotlines that squander all the promise of the first few episodes

you're mixing this up with recreators

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

a kitten posted:

I believe in Beato.

:yeah:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This show has been really good. It feels really weird to watch an anime with no glaring weaknesses, especially an anime-original. Animation, plot, design, characters, music, editing, OP, ED: all just good. So it confuses me why I'm not just automatically assigning this show into my top5 shows of the year. Something is missing, or slightly off, and I have no idea what it is.

Is it fair to ask this show to end with a bang? To raise my expectations higher than I normally do? This feels kinda unfair. But it's all I can think of to make me less confused about this show. Maybe shows with this nonlinear storytelling need to present an entire package before evaluating it.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I'm suspecting some kind of twist like, Ange and Charlotte being so good at impersonating each other that they've been swapping in and out this entire time and nobody has any clue which is the real one any longer.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I've been enjoying the show a lot, especially in terms of characters and episodic storytelling, but I do think it might have been even stronger with a full length season that gave a little more focus to the overarching plot, rather than keeping it aside for long stretches and then trying to wrap it up at the end. I think that's a valid outcome, mind you, so it's more of a personal preference rather than a heavy criticism.

I am hoping that Beato, Dorothy and Chise save everyone and nobody will convince me otherwise.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They'll trick Beato into becoming queen while Ange and Charlotte retire and get married.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I believe in the Yuri ending. Surely they wouldn't make something tragic like Ange facing her entire old team or Ange dies so Princess can take the throne.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Explosions posted:

I'm OK with bad things happening to Beato but only if they're cute and she's like waaaaaa.

Hell, same

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Beato Believer posted:

No worries. Beato will save them all.

Leave me my insane delusions!

good post/name

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Thank you. Inspiration finally struck (thanks, a kitten).

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I also believe in Beato

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Is this show only one season? We got case numbers over 12 so I thought it was gonna keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Everything I've heard is that next week is the finale.

• Locked thread