Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Play dolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yo what the gently caress that was just a real-rear end death! that happens all the time!

play dolls I guess?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Android Blues posted:

I think this is the first ending in this book where we actually, explicitly died, and it's a really grisly mundane death with no supernatural involvement too. Like nothing magic even happened to us, we just hid from our annoying cousin in a refrigerator and suffocated to death. Troublingly believable.

probably because that's a real-rear end thing that happened back with older fridges that latched shut instead of having a magnetic seal

having it be mundane and more direct is both scary and also might make kids think twice about hiding in old fridges where this could happen

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Holy gently caress, that wasn't just sudden, that was dark.

Uh, play with dolls, I guess?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Second choice of the game: eat peanut butter, the die in a refrigerator. The only better one was the Greek myth cyoa that kills you before the first choice in the game.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You figure it's too early into your visit to get into trouble.

"All right, all right. Where's the dollhouse?"

"Out on the porch," your cousin answers. "Follow me."

You start to follow Dora up the stairs, when, suddenly, you have to stop!

The strangest sensation comes over you. Your toes and fingers tingle and little pink dots swim before your eyes.

"Come on!" Dora whines from the top of the stairs. "You said you'd play."

You shake your head and everything is back to normal again. That was weird, you think. Maybe you just stood up too fast.

Dora stamps her foot impatiently. "Do I have to sic Barney on you?" she warns.

"I'm coming! I'm coming!" You bound up the stairs. You feel a little tired. Those stairs must be steeper than they look.

You follow Dora out to the porch and sit beside her in front of the dollhouse. You have to admit, the dollhouse is pretty cool. It's three stories high and filled with miniature furniture. There's even a tiny piano and a little guitar.

You reach into the dollhouse to move a chair. As you do, you notice that Dora's eyes widen in surprise.

quote:

"What's wrong?" you ask Dora.

"Why is your watch like that?" she asks, pointing to your wrist.

You glance where Dora is pointing and notice that your wristwatch is hanging loose from your wrist. "That's strange," you murmur. "The watchband must have stretched."

"It's metal," Dora points out. "How could it stretch? Didn't it fit when you got here?"

"I guess so," you mumble.

That's a good question, you realize, but one you don't have an answer for.

Now you notice something else. When you first came here, you were three inches taller than Dora. Sitting beside her now, you seem to be the same height. How could that be possible?

quote:

There's got to be a logical explanation. Maybe you didn't notice how much Dora has grown. Maybe you're losing weight. Maybe you're just imagining things.

"You're looking awfully thin, dear," Aunt Fiona tells you at supper that night. "Have some more mashed potatoes."

"Yeah, wimp." Barney grins. "Eat some of my food while you're at it." When his mother isn't looking, he dumps his broccoli on your plate.

You ignore Barney. Because you've just noticed something disturbing. The table seems a lot higher than it used to be.

Something really bizarre is happening to you.

I'll feel better after a good night's sleep, you think.

That night you have weird dreams about pink dots and tingling toes. And the next morning, when you climb out of bed, your pajama bottoms fall off your body onto the floor!

What is happening? you wonder in a panic.

You pick up your pajama bottoms and examine them. They are exactly the same as they were last night.

Of course they are. Because you now know what the problem is.

Your pajamas haven't gotten bigger. Dora hasn't grown and your watchband hasn't stretched.

You have shrunk.

quote:

You run to the bathroom. The mirror is even higher than it was last night. You have to stand on a stool to peer into it.

It's true. You look the same, but you're definitely smaller. Getting dressed, you notice that none of your clean clothes fit. They're all much too big - except the jeans and T-shirt you wore yesterday. They're smaller, too. Whatever made you shrink also made them shrink. But what was it?

"Yesterday. Yesterday," you mutter. You pace around the room trying to remember everything you did in the last twenty-four hours. You're so freaked out, it's hard to concentrate.

"Okay," you say to yourself, trying to calm down. "I've been on airplanes before, and I've never shrunk. I've had my aunt's cooking before, so it's not what I ate for dinner..."

Suddenly, you snap your fingers!

You've figured it out! The purple peanut butter! You've never had anything like that before. In fact, you're not even sure what that purple goop was.

You better find out - and fast!

You race downstairs and straight to the basement. But when you yank open the basement door, your heart stops!

quote:

It's gone! The refrigerator has disappeared.

In fact, all the furniture in the basement is gone! Everything. The basement is completely empty!

You rush to the kitchen. Your aunt is just leaving the house to go to work at the university.

"Aunt Fiona!" you cry. "Where's the refrigerator that was in the basement?"

She frowns. "Dora told me you were playing down there yesterday," she replies.

That rat! You played with her stupid dollhouse and she still told on you.

"Don't worry," Aunt Fiona goes on. "I had all the furniture hauled to the dump early this morning."

"But - " you start to protest.

"Those old things were dirty and dangerous," she continues. "Now it's safe for you kids to play down there whenever you want." She gives you a quick kiss and leaves before you can ask any more questions.

You stare after her in shock. You're in big trouble. Or, rather, in small trouble. You're still shrinking. What if you grow so small you disappear?

If you think you can find the refrigerator at the dump, hurry to PAGE 24.

If you think you should see a doctor, turn to PAGE 120.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings
Returned to normal size just in time to get beaten up by Barney.
Returned to normal size while surrounded by tigers.
Drank a potion that turned us into a life-size gingerbread cookie.
Captured by the government for study.
Got stuck cleaning up animal poop at the circus.
Suffocated to death inside a refrigerator.

Achievements
Fails from the Crypt: Encountered a total of 50 bad endings.
It Went Thadda-Way: Randomly returned to normal size just in time to escape the military.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
TO THE DUMP!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I think it's time to see a doctor.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Go check out the dump!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Surely nothing could be dangerous at the dump for a rapidly shrinking kid.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Where does the Lone Ranger take his garbage?

To the dump, to the dump, to the dump-dump-dump...

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

poisonpill posted:

Second choice of the game: eat peanut butter, the die in a refrigerator.

Yeah, that was some Punky Brewster poo poo right there.

poisonpill posted:

The only better one was the Greek myth cyoa that kills you before the first choice in the game.

Are you talking about the Cretan Chronicles? The first two books didn't do that, and I can't find a copy of the third in a fifteen-second Google search. I know Creature of Chaos can, and probably will, put you in a 'dead man walking' state before your first true choice, but that's because you have to roll dice for the first several choices, and also because :fightingfantasy:.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

FredMSloniker posted:

Are you talking about the Cretan Chronicles? The first two books didn't do that, and I can't find a copy of the third in a fifteen-second Google search.

Yes! That's the one. There was an LP of it a long time back, and if my memory serves, the third book starts with the character marrying a kin-killer or something, unleashing the anger of the gods. The only way to avoid it is to skip ahead using some kind of mechanic from the book I don't remember. I always thought that was clever.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You've decided to try to find the refrigerator. You need to get that jar. There may be a label on it that can tell you what to do! Or at least what the purple peanut butter is.

You race to the front door. You come to a sudden stop, slapping your hand to your forehead. You forgot - you don't know where the dump is. Or how to get there.

Great. Your only hope is Barney.

You'll be nice, you decide. Polite. You'll even beg. You search the house for Barney. You find him in the den, lying on the floor watching TV.

"Hi, Barney," you say sweetly.

"Mmmf," he grunts. He doesn't even glance at you.

"Barney - "

"Hold it down, will you?" he growls. He's watching King Kong. Probably identifying with the ape, you figure.

"Barney, please," you repeat. "I need to - "

"Would you shut up?" Barney snaps. His eyes are still glued to the screen.

Those weird pink dots are dancing in front of your eyes again. As soon as the tingling in your toes and fingers stops, you realize you've shrunk a few more inches. Now your head is level with the arm of the couch! When is the shrinking going to end? Are you going to shrink down to nothing?

quote:

You have to get to the dump and you have to get there NOW!

Barney is your only hope.

"Please, Barney, I have to - "

"What part of 'shut up' don't you understand?" Barney demands. "I'm trying to watch TV! Do I have to teach you a lesson?" As he pulls himself up off the floor you realize you're so little now, he towers over you.

Maybe this was a bad idea.

"Uh... I'll see you later," you say and start to back out of the room.

But Barney means business. You've seen that nasty expression on his face before. It means he's really mad. And when Barney is mad - watch out!

Quick! Where can you hide from your cousin?

Dash into the kitchen and hide in a cupboard on PAGE 13.

Or find a hiding spot outdoors. Run to PAGE 93.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements
It Went Thadda-Way: Randomly returned to normal size just in time to escape the military.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

poisonpill posted:

Yes! That's the one. There was an LP of it a long time back, and if my memory serves, the third book starts with the character marrying a kin-killer or something, unleashing the anger of the gods. The only way to avoid it is to skip ahead using some kind of mechanic from the book I don't remember. I always thought that was clever.

I wouldn't call that killing the player before their first choice, because the mechanic in question gives you a choice.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Hide in the cupboard.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You quickly spin on your heels and sprint toward the kitchen.

Barney lunges for you. Clumsily, he trips over his own feet and falls on the floor.

Without stopping, you yank open one of the lower cupboard doors and wriggle inside. You're so small now that you easily slip in among the pots and pans.

Barney will never find you here! You hear him stomping into the kitchen just as you pull the cupboard door shut.

"Where are you?" he demands. "You can't hide forever!"

Wanna bet, you think.

You hear him open the door to the pantry, then slam it shut. Luckily, he never got a good look at you. He has no idea that you are now small enough to fit into this little cupboard.

"Wimp!" Barney hollers. "You'll have to come out sooner or later!"

Definitely later, you think.

You hear the TV click back on. From the sound of it, Barney's watching a really noisy race-car program. This will be a great time to leave the cupboard. No way he'll hear you climb out. Smiling, you prepare to climb out of the cupboard.

But then, a weird and familiar feeling comes over you.

quote:

Those annoying pink dots! That creepy tingling in your fingers and toes.

You're still shrinking.

Now, when you try to open the cupboard door you find it's much too heavy for you. You're not sure how small you've become, but the pots and pans now seem as big as cars.

What can you do? If you don't leave the cupboard you'll never be able to find the refrigerator and return to your true size. At this rate, you will have shrunk down to nothing before lunch!

"Help!" you squeak. "Help!"

Even if you were your normal size, you realize, no one would be able to hear you with all the racket coming from the TV.

Luckily, it's not totally dark in the cupboard. But why not? You glance around. You notice something you hadn't seen before. In the back of the cupboard you spot a small hole. Pale light is streaming in through it.

Maybe you can escape through the hole!

You crawl over a pile of pan lids toward the hole. You've almost reached it when you hear a hideous scratching sound. A moment later a huge, furry head begins to push through the hole. Yikes! What is it?

quote:

You watch as the huge beast climbs through the hole toward you. Its face is covered with hair. It has a long, pointed snout and huge yellow teeth. It opens its mouth and lets out a loud SQUEAK!

You realize that the terrifying monster is a mouse!

And it's three times bigger than you are.

You are really small now!

The mouse glances around the cupboard, probably looking for food. Then it spots you.

Its long whiskers twitch as it sniffs in your direction. It begins to move toward you.

What will you do now? Should you try to fight it off?

Or maybe it's as gentle as the mice in the cage in your school classroom. Maybe you should make friends with it.

Whatever you decide, you've got to do something soon! There's no way out of the cupboard except through the mouse hole. And the mouse is now less than a whisker away!

Fight the mouse? Turn to PAGE 98.

Or make friends with it? Try PAGE 116.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Fight it! Surely nothing will go wrong

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Rat Care Guide posted:

Rats are cuddly, friendly and intelligent pets. They are reasonably easy to keep healthy, making then an ideal pet for young families.