Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What's the highest power level you can realistically get to without nightfall/raids/trials?

Coldforge posted:

I shouldn't need to say it, but just in case: Outside of the main story missions, Titan is the best planet.

I wish it was larger but it's my absolute favorite for some reason. I don't really know why. I can spend hours there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Kilometers Davis posted:

What's the highest power level you can realistically get to without nightfall/raids/trials?

I wish it was larger but it's my absolute favorite for some reason. I don't really know why. I can spend hours there.

I hit about 275 pre nightfall and I still haven’t completed the raid or touched trials. 284 currently

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Linx posted:

Ha yeah, a couple of days ago I thought “I want a hunter”. Right now it’s only 8 power levels below my warlock main. They definitely made the game more accessible for casual players but I worry about the life expectancy of the game for more invested players

As long as content comes out on a regular basis it should be fine. You still need to do the content to get the cool looking gear, so it will keep people around for that.

The next expansion is in December, supposedly, which is soon enough to prevent the game from becoming stale.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kilometers Davis posted:

Depends only on how long you're willing to wait, exotic engrams and weekly milestones could get you all the way up but doing those things will make it much faster.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
[quote="“Hamelekim”" post="“476495465”"]
As long as content comes out on a regular basis it should be fine. You still need to do the content to get the cool looking gear, so it will keep people around for that.

The next expansion is in December, supposedly, which is soon enough to prevent the game from becoming stale.
[/quote]

I suppose I get to start over in October for the PC release anyway :v:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Linx posted:

I suppose I get to start over in October for the PC release anyway :v:

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to that.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

Kilometers Davis posted:

with the clan reward(s) 290 is doable

e: i suppose it depends mostly on your grinding tolerance

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

Most of the big streamers were over 300 when the raid opened this week. That's playing 12-14 hours a day, but they really divorced light-level progression from the raid, it seems like. Which I like, because it leaves the raid for people who want to actually raid and not for a bunch of other folks who would rather do other things but feel obligated to reach max light.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Mod Talk: How much of a difference do the mods actually make? I have a choice between an impact absorption mod and an energy bracket mod and I was just wondering how much the actual change to resilience or gun stability is for them?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I got booted out of the survival competitive mode for inactivity...

because I was dead

I was dead and the round went crazy long, so I got booted

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

By missions, do you mean the adventures?
Oh yeah, sorry. Adventures.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

because I was dead

Lool

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Trials is hard :/

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Kilometers Davis posted:

Got to admit, I'm more fond of the EDZ. The invasion event in the corner is great for screwing around trying out weapons too.

I think my inner psychopath also likes just chilling out in the church tower or buildings, plinking all the dudes as they spawn. :shrug:

Mazerunner posted:

because I was dead

If that's the mode with the lives, and the 4-round limit, ditto. I got queued for that doing first match of the crucible quest and holy poo poo it goes on way too loving long.

limited fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 17, 2017

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

limited posted:

Got to admit, I'm more fond of the EDZ. The invasion event in the corner is great for screwing around trying out weapons too.

I think my inner psychopath also likes just chilling out in the church tower or buildings, plinking all the dudes as they spawn. :shrug:

If that's the mode with the lives, and the 4-round limit, ditto. I got queued for that doing first match of the crucible quest and holy poo poo it goes on way too loving long.
It bugs me that Devrim never shoots anyone. Take the loving shot, guy.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

FishBulb posted:

Trials is hard :/

Finding good partners is harder.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm glad I love grinding. I can totally get my power way the gently caress up just running around patrolling from the sound of it. Cool! I won't whine about the lack of raid matchmaking as much as long as I can still level up and get nice poo poo in other ways :D

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Akuma posted:

None of the characters in this game do anything, it’s all left down to no-name guardians to mop up everyone else’s mess. Thanks Ikora for loving off to IO “in search of answers” in humanities time of need.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm glad I love grinding. I can totally get my power way the gently caress up just running around patrolling from the sound of it. Cool!

I like that you don't need more power for anything yet want it, to ostensibly appear as tho you actually do play the game. :allears:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I like how Zavala and Gang will refer to me as a singular Guardian and ignore the rest of my fireteam that helped kill the Bad Guy.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

cvnvcnv posted:

I like that you don't need more power for anything yet want it, to ostensibly appear as tho you actually do play the game. :allears:

I like numbers going up, neat looking gear, and spicy robes bud

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I think this game would be a lot more interesting if it had world areas that had full PvP.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Hamelekim posted:

I really like that I don't feel the need to grind the game. I do my weekly milestones each week, do some public events or strikes, maybe raid or trails and then I'm done. Destiny 1 was all about grinding for hours and it sucked.
That's pretty much how Rise of Iron was for me, when they added repeatable weekly (but short) quests.

Man, I know it doesn't get much love but RoI loving ruled. By the end there D1 was just so much poo poo stacked up like a billion slots with light but I do miss some of the poo poo that got left behind, like class agnostic artifacts and quest logs.

It's pretty weird that there's no quest log at all in this game. There's just a lot less quests in general I guess, now there's milestones. The exotic stuff made me laugh though because it feels like a weird step back. They're exotic bounties in presentation only they sit in item slots. Weird.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Finally beat Calus jfc

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

actionjackson posted:

Finally beat Calus jfc

How many hours in total did it take?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thumbtacks posted:

I think this game would be a lot more interesting if it had world areas that had full PvP.

Yeah but also lol @ the idea of Bungie not bungling that and turning it into a horrifically balanced camp fest

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

actionjackson posted:

Finally beat Calus jfc

Would have done it in a team just now except for the light fading mechanic. There were four of us up and he had less than a quarter life left. I miss the days of one or two dudes just killing Crota or Atheon by the skin of their teeth.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think i've discovered another source of 265+ light. Because i'm a sad lorehound, I cleared all the EDZ missions, and the next time I visited Devrin he had four missions to replay. Quickly finished them, and got a legendary engram that decrypted to a 275ish smg. The missions haven't refreshed so hopefully this is a weekly thing.
I can't be sure though, so might be worth confirming. But this would be interesting if each planet has a weekly chain which can culminate in a 265+ engram.
These are Adventures. They give you Rare gear, glimmer, and a token (same rewards as when you fist did them IIRC). I just did all 4, and they don't give you anything extra. Legendaries are from turning in tokens

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I wanted to give D2 trials a shot, hopped in an LFG group, and got completely carried to flawless on my very first card of D2. Some British teen was destroying everything while doing his Spanish homework. He went 15.0 one round, all the while stuff like "trabajo verdano" coming over the comms. Truly a magical experience.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm glad I love grinding. I can totally get my power way the gently caress up just running around patrolling from the sound of it. Cool! I won't whine about the lack of raid matchmaking as much as long as I can still level up and get nice poo poo in other ways :D

Ayup. I haven't had a chance to do a raid or trials, and I've been powering up just fine from grinding planetary events/boss spawns/challenges & looting every chest I find. Plenty of exotics and legendary drops, although I'm still hunting for an Alpha Lupi for my Titan :(

limited posted:

Yeah, EDZ is my second fav. Order probably goes Titan, EDZ, Nessus, Io (because gently caress off, Io).

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Who needs exotics when you have

Excuse the phone picture. I love this loving gun.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

Who needs exotics when you have

Excuse the phone picture. I love this loving gun.

Strange that they named your Better Devils "The Old Fashioned." Bug?

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Akuma posted:

:(

This just reminded me how disappointed I was that we didn't get an "All ghillied up" mission.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Soul Glo posted:

I must have already dismantled it. :argh:

I rolled an alt pretty much specifically to get Nameless Midnight. Then, when turning in vanguard tokens to get legs, immediately got another one despite many hundreds of tokens going to waste previously. I mean as it turns out you should absolutely fill your roster because weeklies and bright engrams but even if all I got for the effort was the rifle it'd totally be worth it.

On the subject of alts - I'm really glad I started my main playing week one. I didn't even try to level. Public events happened, people were everywhere and even doing the loop around the EDZ could take an hour because you hit so many of them. I learned how to activate all but two heroics just by watching other people. Leveling my Titan at the end of week two and it's a ghost town everywhere. Public events are limited to maybe one every half hour if you're specifically trying for them. When you do find one it's a miraculous boon if the people there don't screw up activating the heroic. Outside of an organized group it's pretty much just pop coins and do strikes if you want to progress.

On the plus side, I've gone from laser hell death to the jerk speedrunning through the Pyramidion and summoning the bike everywhere on every strike.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

cvnvcnv posted:

How many hours in total did it take?

For this one it was about 2.5 hours

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Idk what you're talking about mang I've been doing be them on all planets the last few days and they're always populated and ppl know what they're doing.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Sometimes the matchmaking screws up and I have to fast travel a few times to reload, but I almost always end up with people at public events. Even at 2-3am when I play the most.

Are you boosting your sparrow through loading zones? That's a good way to end up forever alone.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Hey, so I'm new to Destiny and I was wondering if there's any way to tell what quests/milestones/other content is time limited and when it ends. I can't see anything indicating what's weekly and what's not and I'm getting to the point where I could start most of the end game stuff but I'm not sure if I need to be rushing into it or if I can take my time.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Coldforge posted:

Strange that they named your Better Devils "The Old Fashioned." Bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Crazy Larry posted:

Hey, so I'm new to Destiny and I was wondering if there's any way to tell what quests/milestones/other content is time limited and when it ends. I can't see anything indicating what's weekly and what's not and I'm getting to the point where I could start most of the end game stuff but I'm not sure if I need to be rushing into it or if I can take my time.

nightfall, raid, shaxx's crucible thing, trials reset weekly

but there's nothing that is straight up gone forever, you just miss your chance at that week