Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Q2 was fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That pole lap :stare:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Let's go Josef!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

let's go anyone but castroneves

(but especially josef)

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Dixon is going to win the title and then fart in all the fans mouths

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I guess the thread really isn't a GDT during a race, eh? Last race and championship down to the line and not a peep in here.

Sonownsma.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

We're on discord mostly

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

iospace posted:

We're on discord mostly

Geez I haven't even mastered IRC yet... now I have to transition?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

the finale really needs to be on an oval jfc

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Fauxhawk Express posted:

the finale really needs to be on an oval jfc

Turn IndyCar into a winter championship and make the Indy 500 the finale.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Wirth1000 posted:

Turn IndyCar into a winter championship and make the Indy 500 the finale.

I vote to move Road America to February.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

:toot:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
U S A

U S A

U S A

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Congrats JNew!
:toot: :patriot:

176 days until the 2018 season starts.
:smith:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Real good season. The 500 was awesome and Phoenix was a total pile of poo poo, but most every other race was at least decent. Sato winning the 500 owned, Newgarden winning the title was great, and it was also great seeing St Louis be successful on its return. Being optimistic for the future of the series for once is a nice feeling.

Now put the drat finale on an oval.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Hell yes.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Out of everything from watching half a season of IndyCar starting with the Indy 500 thanks to Alonso I have to say that today's race tops it all...

...cause it's the first time I've actually seen and heard Roger Penske talk and holy gently caress the man looks amazing for 80 years old, god drat.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
0 titles for awful driver Helio Castroneves. Lol.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Josef is a stud.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

https://twitter.com/LASTCARonBROCK/status/909579297991491585

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

IndyCar Series 2018: New Season, Newgarden

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Bentai posted:

IndyCar Series 2018: New Season, Newgarden

New Season, New Cars, Newgarden

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Much better!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

0 titles for awful driver Helio Castroneves. Lol.

He might be back.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/Team_Penske/status/909587905244405760

I hope Robin Miller was sitting down for that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, one question remains.

Will Josef take #1 next year?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

The final gimmick-free points standings! Taking out the points for Indy qualifying and the half the points away from the double-points races.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bH0d4TJ0zmJ9PhjjEf9S9aHUtke9T4IZrjsIGC2Kgc4/edit?usp=sharing

The gimmick is still benign, for the most part.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

iospace posted:

So, one question remains.

Will Josef take #1 next year?

Probably. The Penske guys usually do, and it's for sponsor reasons that other guys don't.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Will Sipag go back to 22 or take the 2? Or 3 if Helio moves over?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Hoo-ha, won the fantasy league by 73 points. No more forgetting to set a lineup like last year!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Probably. The Penske guys usually do, and it's for sponsor reasons that other guys don't.

Power and Simon both took it, and Josef has only had 2 for a year. I would be shocked if he didn't take it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Bentai posted:

Hoo-ha, won the fantasy league by 73 points. No more forgetting to set a lineup like last year!

I got third but I won the "Closest to the race speed" for the year and I'm drat well pretending that's a thing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Anyone notice what Newgarden said last night?

quote:

“We don’t want a championship filled with just American drivers, but it’s important to have the best of America in it,” said Newgarden, who celebrated with an American flag draped around his shoulders. “We have to have the best from Europe and from anywhere overseas, because if it’s just Americans running, it wouldn’t mean anything. But certainly, having successful Americans is a big deal, too.”

(source: http://jeffgluck.com/the-top-five-breaking-down-the-chicago-and-sonoma-races/ )

I like to imagine he looked right over at Singapore as he said that.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

quote:

“We have to have the best from Europe and from anywhere overseas, because if it’s just Americans running, it wouldn’t mean anything."

Shots fired at NASCAR

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

IRL superstars Buzz Calkins and Greg Ray are NOT meaningless :arghfist::saddowns:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

iospace posted:

Anyone notice what Newgarden said last night?

(source: http://jeffgluck.com/the-top-five-breaking-down-the-chicago-and-sonoma-races/ )

I like to imagine he looked right over at Singapore as he said that.

Whoa, an American who doesn't have his head up his rear end. Fascinating.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
If anyone is interested, this is a PDF link to the entire post-race press conference with Newgarden

Full text of what Newgarden said

quote:

THE MODERATOR: Everyone that's come in here since the race was over mentioned about being an American champion, and you put the flag around you up there. I think you were a little surprised by that, didn't really know how to take it, felt like a boxer. But it's important, and you know it is.

JOSEF NEWGARDEN: Yeah, I mean, obviously for me, I've always preached that it's great that we have the best of the best in the Verizon IndyCar Series. We don't want a championship filled with just American drivers, but it's important to have the best of America in it. You know, and I think the Mazda Road to Indy has come such a long way, and the farming system seems to be working again. I feel like team owners and people within IndyCar are looking to the youth in America, which is a great thing. I think there's more guys that are capable that are coming up to help fly the flag in this series. But as I said, the best thing is we have people from all around the world that are the best at what they do, and we've got to continue to have that. We have to have the best from Europe and from anywhere overseas because if it's just Americans running it wouldn't mean anything. But certainly having successful Americans is a big deal, too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This video is a pro-watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXhbHr80E_s

The fact that TK is the one saying Helio can't be shaken out of a good mood is impressive, given that's how I'd describe TK when I met him after his nasty crash at Indy.

Also, I just sifted through the Wikipedia page, Helio is indeed Roger's longest-tenured driver at 18 seasons (and maybe counting). Looks like both Rusty Wallace and Rick Mears ran 15 seasons.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Finally confirming what we already knew: http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/09/09-20-Sato-Joins-RLLR

Sato to Rahal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
32(!) cars at Portland in 1994. Really crowded track. Also this season reminds me of exactly why I dislike Nigel Mansell.

• Locked thread