Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Having finally seen this I kind of had a laugh at so much internet consternation over Bev being kidnapped when it was doing the Worf thing of taking out the most powerful person to put everyone at a disadvantage and motivate the rest of the group rather than the dumb helpless damsel in distress thing people were playing it up as.

Also people complaining about how awful the "CGI" leper was is great because, as is often the case, it was actually a real dude in makeup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
tell me about the carrie draft

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guy Mann posted:

Having finally seen this I kind of had a laugh at so much internet consternation over Bev being kidnapped when it was doing the Worf thing of taking out the most powerful person to put everyone at a disadvantage and motivate the rest of the group rather than the dumb helpless damsel in distress thing people were playing it up as.

Also people complaining about how awful the "CGI" leper was is great because, as is often the case, it was actually a real dude in makeup.

I agree that was the intention but it wasn't conveyed super super well.

And just because there was a guy in makeup on set doesn't mean there aren't full CGI shots or shots heavily touched up with CGI.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The leper segment was clumsy but the actual leper was extremely choice.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I saw this last night and loved it.

The tonal whiplash really worked, IMO, because the kids were always searching for some island to rest on and the audience wanted to go there, too.
My group of friends couldn't believe how often we were laughing.

In preparation I watched the mini series again. Gotta say, Curry did an excellent job but I found myself bored most of the time. Perhaps I'm too used to modern horror conventions but I didn't feel the same level of dread that I recall when I first saw it back in 94.

My biggest gripe was that the girl sitting next to me was really annoying. She kept asking her boyfriend if he was scared and eventually leaned over and asked my group of friends. When the movie started she immediately held her boyfriends hands over her face and made this low whining sound through the whole movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Guy Mann posted:

Aside from his face it's clearly a practical effect because it's so goofy.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Makes sense. Lepers don't exist.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I watched it for a third time yesterday, and It's fun to sit back and notice little details in the film. They loaded the film with little sutble stuff that really enhance a second viewing of the film.

Yeah, I want to see IT again too. I caught a lot of subtle stuff the first time but am pretty sure I missed a lot. I don't understand this film's detractors. Most of the beat downs IT's taking really, really come off as nitpicking or boiling down to expectations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Aside from his face it's clearly a practical effect because it's so goofy.

Yeah, I'm glad they explicitly said later that it was a leper because the designs of him and the dead kids were pretty similar so it almost felt like It had some undead army it was using to menace people rather than playing on specific fears.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the special effects as a whole (namely over-using that fast motion thing with the pseudo-Jacob's Ladder blur every time It moved) but I'd love to see a making-of just to see what's practical and what isn't. I was pretty surprised to find out that the monster in Mama was a puppet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ins7QwvAp28

The way that the burned headless kid moved and looks makes me think that he might have been a puppet too, there's an actor credited it to him but it could be just for the scenes where he has a head so I dunno. It reminded me of the way the corpse stag in Hannibal looked, which was also a puppet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhatYWMRA0U

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

tell me about the carrie draft

It used the White Commission as a framing device for the story, introduced the rain of stones scene from Carrie's childhood and I think tossed in a bit more research type stuff regarding Carrie's mother I think? There was more White Commission stuff for sure and I'm drawing a blank on parts because it's been years since I read it.

Pretty sure they kept the ending jump scare as a dream sequence as it is in the movie but again I'd have to dig it up and read it again.

I might do that this afternoon actually.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Guy Mann posted:

I wasn't the biggest fan of the special effects as a whole (namely over-using that fast motion thing with the pseudo-Jacob's Ladder blur every time It moved) but I'd love to see a making-of just to see what's practical and what isn't.

Well, what's funny is that most of that stuff is just camera tricks (stabilization, skipped frames/improper frame rate). There's probably less CG in the film than you think (and more where you wouldn't really notice it).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guy Mann posted:

I wasn't the biggest fan of the special effects as a whole (namely over-using that fast motion thing with the pseudo-Jacob's Ladder blur every time It moved) but I'd love to see a making-of just to see what's practical and what isn't. I was pretty surprised to find out that the monster in Mama was a puppet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ins7QwvAp28

This isnt a puppet. That's a real person.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I just rewatched the TV series one. It scared the hell out of me when I saw it as a kid, I laughed at it later when I saw it as an adult, hehe.

It's pretty poor in parts and definitely aged. Sometimes that's not a bad thing in movies but in this case a lot of it is.

That said, it does have some points over the new one I think. The pacing is a lot better for me and it's not filled with loud noises. And while Pennywise isn't exactly scary at all anymore, it's just more fun to watch Curry being crazy to be honest. Again, I think the guy in the movie did a great job but it's sadly overshadowed with the special effects and "scary" moments. They should've just had more... acting, more lines, more performance and less crazy CGI poo poo.

The fortune cookie monster thing in the TV series IT is the cutest thing ever though.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

All of those camera tricks were Good poo poo.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Pennywise functions better in the kid scenes as a menacing threat, if they'd taken a more surreal bent with his actual attacks his gotcha moments would be more effective.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Nroo posted:

All of those camera tricks were Good poo poo.
I wish they'd been used more to establish that "poo poo Ain't Right" feeling that Derry is supposed to possess. Relatively basic effects can be pretty unsettling. I'm still a huge fan of this guy from Ash vs. Evil Dead:

It come across better in the show, but the general idea is there.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
IT made $60 million this weekend, giving it the biggest second week of all time for a horror film. I'm so happy this movie is doing great but I hope part two isn't rushed out.

https://dailydead.com/it-floats-atop-the-box-office-with-largest-second-weekend-in-horror-film-history/

Violator
May 15, 2003

I like the screaming and running at the camera after thinking about it more because it was usually accompanied by a subtle strangeness creep out scene. The basement scene with Bill is the perfect example. IT slowly creeps out of the water and reveals that Georgie is literally a hand puppet. That would be enough to send Bill running, but IT really cranked it up by running and screaming at him. Nothing overly fantastical or fake like running on the ceiling or swimming under the water to him, just good old fashioned nightmare fuel of running and screaming at you. But IT stops at the bottom of the steps, the eyes roll back in its head and it slithers back to where it came from. It didn't want to kill Bill, it just wanted to terrify him. Like all monsters to kids, Bill was safe when he reached the top of the steps and the kitchen light.

It feels like each IT scene was crafted specifically as if "what actually scared me at 13" was the starting point, not "what can we do with effects." In that regard, I feel the intention is very close to the book. Like the basement steps with open slats where something could grab you through them. You could do more than just a hand reaching up to grab you as you walked up them in the dark, but a simple hand is all you need to show that childhood fear. The same with IT, you could do more than having a clown run at you screaming but dang is it effective all by itself. Especially since it's usually sandwiched between two creepy and sublime scenes of terror.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Violator posted:

I like the screaming and running at the camera after thinking about it more because it was usually accompanied by a subtle strangeness creep out scene. The basement scene with Bill is the perfect example. IT slowly creeps out of the water and reveals that Georgie is literally a hand puppet. That would be enough to send Bill running, but IT really cranked it up by running and screaming at him. Nothing overly fantastical or fake like running on the ceiling or swimming under the water to him, just good old fashioned nightmare fuel of running and screaming at you. But IT stops at the bottom of the steps, the eyes roll back in its head and it slithers back to where it came from. It didn't want to kill Bill, it just wanted to terrify him. Like all monsters to kids, Bill was safe when he reached the top of the steps and the kitchen light.

Pennywise definitely exists on the end of a long tentacle, so it makes sense that lunging as far and as fast as possible would be its main move, and why it slithers back afterwards.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

IT made $60 million this weekend, giving it the biggest second week of all time for a horror film. I'm so happy this movie is doing great but I hope part two isn't rushed out.

https://dailydead.com/it-floats-atop-the-box-office-with-largest-second-weekend-in-horror-film-history/

Yeah after reading the director's ideas for Mike, I'm hoping they take a beat and really figure out the best way to do chapter 2.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I watched It for the second time this weekend and I loved it. I never read the book or saw the TV series (even though I read other King books as a kid, I imagine this one just seemed like too much of a commitment) so all I had was a vague idea of the story and I think it was easier for me to enjoy it rather than look for inconsistencies or to match my expectations from what I imagine must be an epic read-through.

I wanted to see if the CGI or the blur scares would be more distracting this time, and honestly neither of them bothered me. I agree with the above poster that It running towards the kid seemed like a completely logical action if its intention was to scare them. It seems like a strange thing for people to complain about when a scary character does something to scare a kid in a movie. So what if it doesn't scare YOU personally? It was better than him just slinking away and giving up. Also it seemed like when Pennywise had another option, like when he came out of the fridge and half-danced his way over to Eddie, he took his sweet time knowing that Eddie wasn't going anywhere.

Anyway I was disappointed that even on the second viewing, I STILL didn't see the librarian smiling when the balloon came - and I stared at both of the girls in the background the entire time. Maybe it was a different scene?.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Drink-Mix Man posted:

it's still scarier to see the woman at the beginning get sucked underwater by an unseen force than it is to see a boating accident

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

This stalled the story which was superficial to begin with. Also most of the kids seemed unaffected from what would be traumatic experiences

This is something King wrote about at length elsewhere, that kids can internalize this sort of poo poo far easier than adults. IIRC his example was that a kid who watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre would have nightmares for a week then be back to normal, whereas if you gave an adult some acid and had them watch the same thing, they stand a good chance of emerging a complete basket case.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

The librarian goes back to normal as the balloon appears

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Ya, the person is standing there between bookcases (staring right at Ben) just like how "it" does in It Follows. If I remember correctly she's wearing kindof a mustardy dress.

Edit: nope

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

yeah during the sequence they show pages of the book and then go to a shot of ben reading the book, at each cut where they change from the book to ben she's getting creepier and closer before reverting to normal and we see the balloon go past

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Literally Kermit posted:

Pennywise parachute account spotted

IT is an acronoym of Internet Troll, a being that lives on power and fear.

Spoilers for part 2 set in 2016.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

This is something King wrote about at length elsewhere, that kids can internalize this sort of poo poo far easier than adults. IIRC his example was that a kid who watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre would have nightmares for a week then be back to normal, whereas if you gave an adult some acid and had them watch the same thing, they stand a good chance of emerging a complete basket case.

Well yeah if the kid had acid too he'd probably be the same.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Violator posted:

Nothing overly fantastical or fake like running on the ceiling or swimming under the water to him, just good old fashioned nightmare fuel of running and screaming at you.

I think we have very different nightmares.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

IT is an acronoym of Internet Troll, a being that lives on power and fear.

Spoilers for part 2 set in 2016.

Better than a giant spider I guess

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

Steve2911 posted:

Pennywise definitely exists on the end of a long tentacle, so it makes sense that lunging as far and as fast as possible would be its main move, and why it slithers back afterwards.

FateFree posted:

It seems like a strange thing for people to complain about when a scary character does something to scare a kid in a movie. So what if it doesn't scare YOU personally? It was better than him just slinking away and giving up. Also it seemed like when Pennywise had another option, like when he came out of the fridge and half-danced his way over to Eddie, he took his sweet time knowing that Eddie wasn't going anywhere..

Both these observations fit into how I knew I was in for a bumpy time after the sewer drain / Georgie scene. I can understand some folks being disappointed that Georgie's arm comes off in full view of the camera, but it did more to establish the physical stakes than the overly condescending Curry version. Then we got the image I didn't think would be properly replicated of Georgie, helpless in the middle of the street, with It's arm sloooooooowly slinking toward Georgie, that set up the traumatic horror stakes.

Plus, like, using that same hand to claw up Georgie as a puppet later? Ugh.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
Did anyone else notice that several of the adults and Henry made up to look like Pennywise? Eddie's mom and Henry both have their hair cut like Pennywise, with their forehead exposed.

Cool, subtle little detail. Apologize if it has already been brought up.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I thought the movie was great overall but the jump scares were incredibly weak. I didn't jump once. It should have felt really claustrophobic most of the time and it just didn't.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Other people in Derry looking like Pennywise---it was part of the great job they did with making Derry just seem not "right" I thought.

I'm one of the huge book fans, it is quite near and dear to my heart. But I think this was a great reimagining that managed to stay very true to King's vision and ideas.

Man... I'm still blown away at how GOOD all of the kids were. Richie and Eddie most of all, but I loved all of them.

They better get to filming soon if they want to include flashbacks.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Leinadi posted:

I just rewatched the TV series one. It scared the hell out of me when I saw it as a kid, I laughed at it later when I saw it as an adult, hehe.

It's pretty poor in parts and definitely aged. Sometimes that's not a bad thing in movies but in this case a lot of it is.

That said, it does have some points over the new one I think. The pacing is a lot better for me and it's not filled with loud noises. And while Pennywise isn't exactly scary at all anymore, it's just more fun to watch Curry being crazy to be honest. Again, I think the guy in the movie did a great job but it's sadly overshadowed with the special effects and "scary" moments. They should've just had more... acting, more lines, more performance and less crazy CGI poo poo.

The fortune cookie monster thing in the TV series IT is the cutest thing ever though.

Yeah, there were several things you could argue that the TV series pulled off better but overall, aside from Curry and the kids, it was pretty much poo poo. I think the movie topped it by a pretty considerable margin and the film makers were very wise in avoiding trying to replicate what Curry brought to the show.

Weirdest thing about the TV show was how much acting talent they really had for the adults and the degree to which the performances were just absolutely horrible. They had a lot of acting talent on screen for the adult segments and most of them just sucked straight out loud. I've seen all those actors in really good roles and performances before, on TV and film, but god drat they just poo poo the bed.

Only thing I could figure was "not enough takes" because I know that those folks can act.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Apes-Ma posted:

Did anyone else notice that several of the adults and Henry made up to look like Pennywise? Eddie's mom and Henry both have their hair cut like Pennywise, with their forehead exposed.

Cool, subtle little detail. Apologize if it has already been brought up.

Greta too, arguably.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

My biggest fear is that they're gonna fill it with known celebrities instead of people that are right for the part and that the hype will overwhelm the director's vision, since he seems largely on the right track, and I'd hate to see it sacrificed for commercial reasons.

Like, I don't need Gwenyth Paltrow. Seth Rogan and Matthew McConaughey showing up just for the sake of cashing in on something hot that everyone knows will make 200 million bucks or whatever.

I hope they cast unknowns for the adults.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BiggerBoat posted:

My biggest fear is that they're gonna fill it with known celebrities instead of people that are right for the part and that the hype will overwhelm the director's vision, since he seems largely on the right track, and I'd hate to see it sacrificed for commercial reasons.

Like, I don't need Gwenyth Paltrow. Seth Rogan and Matthew McConaughey showing up just for the sake of cashing in on something hot that everyone knows will make 200 million bucks or whatever.

I hope they cast unknowns for the adults.

The closest thing the first one has to star power is the kid from Stranger Things so I think we're OK.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

CelticPredator posted:

This isnt a puppet. That's a real person.

Same dude who plays the leper, actually.

He has marfan's syndrome, which affects the connective tissue in the body, creating an unnaturally elongated appearance, and increase in the bending ratio of joints.

EDIT: beaten

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Javier Botet is also gonna be in that Conjuring spinoff as the Crooked Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Greta too, arguably.

I didn't catch it before you mentioned it now, but that one close-up of her face in the pharmacy was disturbingly Pennywise-like too.

• Locked thread