Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Yeah it does actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

And then it cleans up.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I bought the recommended one from the sweethome for like $250 or whatever and it works fine. I don't think a slightly better model is worth 4 times the price.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Thermapen Mk4 20% off, $79 versus $99 regular price. Cheapest I've seen since the July 4th sale, and available in every color, not just red, white, and blue (lol).

Make sure you follow the embedded link, as it's not navigable from the main ThermoWorks site.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Midniter posted:

Thermapen Mk4 20% off, $79 versus $99 regular price. Cheapest I've seen since the July 4th sale, and available in every color, not just red, white, and blue (lol).

Make sure you follow the embedded link, as it's not navigable from the main ThermoWorks site.

This is a really good deal and I'd totally buy one if I didn't already have a Classic. And no money.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does anyone here know if the Wolf Convection Steam Ovens are close to fulfilling my dream of having a Combi Oven in my kitchen? From first glance of the manual it looks like the temps are good (low end 85 degrees) but its humidity modes are basically "high" and "normal".

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I got a $200 robovac and it's been great. From what I researched you have to step up to the aforementioned $1000 bot to get any noticable improvement. I've all hardwood floors and I'm really impressed (and embarrassed) by how much it picks up.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Which one did you get

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Deebot N79, it's MSRP is $199, but I got it at $170 and it was just on Amazon for $159 or somesuch. Its older style bump+rotate rather than any sorta mapping or pattern building. But the actual vacuuming works very well, even with pet hair and it's battery lasts long enough to get my ~800 sq ft main room done pretty thoroughly on a single charge. It handles rugs and tassles on rugs pretty well and only really frequently gets stuck on a rats nest of power cables I don't always tuck away after fussing with.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I have exactly the same one. Echoing sentiments on the pathing, it's pretty dumb, but once you adjust for what it can't handle, it picks up an embarrassing amount of dirt.

I have a 1300sqft single floor space, which is like 80% low pile carpet, and it will cover most of it before trying (and often failing) to get home.

Given that no matter which one you buy, the battery will crap out inside 2-3 years, I think the $160 spot is where you want to be. It doesn't replace actually vacuuming but it keeps the carpet much cleaner in between and gets under the beds and couches.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 17, 2017

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hed posted:

Does anyone here know if the Wolf Convection Steam Ovens are close to fulfilling my dream of having a Combi Oven in my kitchen? From first glance of the manual it looks like the temps are good (low end 85 degrees) but its humidity modes are basically "high" and "normal".

I don't think the tech is there yet. I just want someone to make an add in for any regular oven that monitors humidity and temperature and uses water to inject steam to keep the humidity you set.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Prices for refurb vitamixes are lower than ever on Amazon. Should I get a narrow jar version or a wide jar?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Porque no los dos?

If one, wide.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Do the old narrow jars also work on the newer wide base?

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I bought a pressure cooker a couple years ago on Kenji's advice. I liked it, but was always irritated having to nurse it up and to heat and my girlfriend won't use it because she's scared of blowing up the kitchen. So I finally caved and bought an instant pot. It should get delivered by the time I get off work. Feels good, man.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why is the instant pot less scary?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Guessing that it's because it's programmable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've written too much software for that to make me more comfortable.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I mostly just don't like having to babysit it while it's heating up. I liked the idea of putting a recipe in there and walking away for weeknights when we're tired.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I have two pressure cookers and I have to admit that's sounding attractive lately.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I've written too much software for that to make me more comfortable.
Same. Ignorance is bliss. - That guy from The Matrix.

Who am I kidding, I know it's Cypher.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Instant pot chat - you can pick one up for $60 at Woot today. Seems like a good deal!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Can you pressure can in one of those? That would be a big selling point of that for me.

Edit: Looks like it doesn't hold enough pressure to do canning.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 19, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It depends on what. Somethings only need 12psi, not 15 or more. Check the USDA (or FDA, whichever) for reference on what you're canning.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

It depends on what. Somethings only need 12psi, not 15 or more. Check the USDA (or FDA, whichever) for reference on what you're canning.

It's wort for beer usage. It needs to get up high enough to kill botulism, which I think is 15psi. I think 12psi is ok for vegetables and jams.

Unrelated to that, but related to the thread. I snagged a Blendtec Blender on sale at Costco yesterday. Made a smoothie this morning and man that thing rips.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Amazon notified me today that the Breville Smoking Gun Pro was back in stock if anyone cares.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Feenix posted:

Amazon notified me today that the Breville Smoking Gun Pro was back in stock if anyone cares.

I do, thanks. :)

Too bad I can't afford it right now though. :negative:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I do, thanks. :)

Too bad I can't afford it right now though. :negative:

You should probably gitmo moneyson!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wancle's sous vide implement is on Amazon Lightning Deal. Two more hours, $90.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071KVJSGQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8pTWzbWKHXS94

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I've recently re-realized my love for smoothies and the fact that I can trick my body into eating veggies/fruits that way.

Anyone have any recommendations for a really simple smoothie maker/blender? I do not own a blender and quite frankly I don't see myself blending much other than using one occasionally for smoothies.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
I returned the warped matfer bourgeat pan, received the replacement and was stoked to find it sat flat on my glass stove.

After washing, I put it on low heat to start warming it up for seasoning... and the thing warped, now it loving spins again and the heat is concentrated on the centre. Seasoning it as recommended, by frying potato peels and salt, left a seasoned black circle at the centre, where the contact point to the glass is now.

They say it's for all hub types, what gives?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

is the bottom larger than the burner? If so, physics.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

is the bottom larger than the burner? If so, physics.
Heh, bottom is slightly smaller than the burner. I checked before buying and confirmed physically. Could it be that heat is not distributed evenly throughout the burner?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Could be. It may also even out over use.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
You mean the seasoning? Unless it unwarps the heating would still be uneven.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

no, the warping. Seasoning will fix itself over time.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

what kind of pan is it, and what heat level are you using? cause 2 pans warping on the same stove indicates it's probably not the pan at fault

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Elizabethan Error posted:

what kind of pan is it, and what heat level are you using? cause 2 pans warping on the same stove indicates it's probably not the pan at fault
Presumably carbon steel. Matfer Bourgeat make all kinds of cookware but when people use the name by itself they're usually talking about the carbon steel fry pans.

For whatever it's worth, I've got a mb fry pan that I use on a lovely glasstop electric and it has never warped on me.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Yeah, it is a carbon steel fry pan. I was wondering if it was a pan vs glass cooktop, or pan vs MY glass cooktop, or something else.

It went back to flat when it cooled down. I tried heating it up real slow, min-heat for two minutes, then slight increases every minute or so, and it started warping again after a few minutes. I let it cool down and it went flat again.

I thought maybe it was as Submarine Sandpaper said, physics, heat from the heating element may either not be constant throughout the burner and is lower at, or not reach, the edges. I figured maybe if the pan was already hot then it would not warp on the burner. So, I tried heating the pan in the oven to 350 and moved to the glass burner, it was still flat. Turned the heat on, and it warped again.

Checking closely, I hadn't noticed that although the pan fits nicely within the circular mark of the burner, the red heating element falls about 5mm short of the edge. So, that ~5mm ring on the pan that does not get direct heat may not be heating up or is cooling down enough (after oven) to cause the warping.
:smith:

Hm, guess now I have to work on convincing my wife to let me buy that induction burner. :v:

rgocs fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Is it a bad idea to use Barkeeper's Friend on my tri-ply every single time I use it?