Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I thought the Poles had made it clear very early on that they would oppose any attempt to defend Czechoslovakia by Soviet forces? With the French making it known to the Czechs that they would not go to war over the issue two months later, with presumably the knowledge in mind that the Poles had all but told them that it would mean another Soviet-Polish war in the east.

In any case, the fact that both Churchill and the Soviets are in agreement on the issue speaks to the truthfulness of the statement.

In September 1938, Czechoslovak president Benes and the Soviet ambassador to Prague ALexandrovsky discussed two options: First case: France pledged to honor its treaty of mutual assistance with the USSR following a declaration of war by the USSR due to their commitments to Czechoslovakia. In that case, the Soviet Union promised to provide full support. Second, if France refused to honor the pact, the Soviets would only act with an authorization by a majority of League of Nations members.

Since France was not willing to play along, the Polish stance on the issue was kinda moot, no matter what it was, they were not the factor standing in the way of a Soviet intervention. Still, the question is if the Soviets were just bluffing, knowing ahead of time the French wouldn't activate the treaty. I think they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

steinrokkan posted:

In September 1938, Czechoslovak president Benes and the Soviet ambassador to Prague ALexandrovsky discussed two options: First case: France pledged to honor its treaty of mutual assistance with the USSR following a declaration of war by the USSR due to their commitments to Czechoslovakia. In that case, the Soviet Union promised to provide full support. Second, if France refused to honor the pact, the Soviets would only act with an authorization by a majority of League of Nations members.

Since France was not willing to play along, the Polish stance on the issue was kinda moot, no matter what it was, they were not the factor standing in the way of a Soviet intervention. Still, the question is if the Soviets were just bluffing, knowing ahead of time the French wouldn't activate the treaty. I think they were.
I think the Polish stance is pretty relevant, when the Polish ambassador made it clear in May of that year that Poland would repulse a Soviet attempt at reinforcing Czechoslovakia. That's the background on which France was making its decisions, and does a lot to explain why it'd be much less into the idea of trying to defend Czechoslovakia. Not much point in starting a war with Germany if it would drag Poland in as effectively a co-belligerent on the Axis side.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Somaen posted:

No slapfight like slavfight

truer words never spoken etc etc

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Wait, how did the western allies stab Russia in the back during WWI?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bip Roberts posted:

Didn't successfully defeat Germany and Austria-Hungary by Christmas 1914 to prevent the idiot Tsar's whole country from collapsing from stress of war.

:v:

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Bip Roberts posted:

Besides invading them with their armies and providing large amounts of military and material support to rebels?

Oh.. you meant during WWI, not immediately after it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

the heat goes wrong posted:

Besides invading them with their armies and providing large amounts of military and material support to rebels?

Oh.. you meant during WWI, not immediately after it.

I mean yes they opposed the central powers backed government that took over after the revolution but that's not exactly a stab in the back. It seems very consistent that the western powers allied with the white government would still support it later.

Edit: Did the allies stab france in the back when they opposed the vichy government after being allies with the third republic?

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 16, 2017

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
If the Vichy government won and the Third Republic dissappeared completely? They might bear a slight grudge about it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bip Roberts posted:

Russia suffered more than any other country, and then was not only denied any recognition for its efforts, it was also invaded by the Entente. Regardless of whether "backstabbed" is the right term, the point is that in the view of Russian leadership Russia was betrayed, abused, treated as trash by the nations that should have come to her assistance, all of that after her people helped the western powers survive. And they were very wary of letting that happen again.

Were the Entente powers right in punishing the bolshevik government for surrendering? Well, the country was dying, it's not like they had much of a choice. Also it's not like the German conditions were generous, and ultimately the Entente pretty much worked to make the concessions enforced by Central Powers permanent, so any claims of fighting against Central Power influence are shaky at best.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 16, 2017

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Rincewinds posted:

Eastern Europe: Why fight Russia when we can fight each other?

Vote yes for thread name change.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Russia suffered more than any other country, and then was not only denied any recognition for its efforts, it was also invaded by the Entente. Regardless of whether "backstabbed" is the right term, the point is that in the view of Russian leadership Russia was betrayed, abused, treated as trash by the nations that should have come to her assistance, all of that after her people helped the western powers survive. And they were very wary of letting that happen again.

Were the Entente powers right in punishing the bolshevik government for surrendering? Well, the country was dying, it's not like they had much of a choice. Also it's not like the German conditions were generous, and ultimately the Entente pretty much worked to make the concessions enforced by Central Powers permanent, so any claims of fighting against Central Power influence are shaky at best.

Yep, it's always the fault of the other countries and definitely not Russia. The existence of bolsheviks is in my eyes a sufficient reason for intervention.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

jonnypeh posted:

Yep, it's always the fault of the other countries and definitely not Russia. The existence of bolsheviks is in my eyes a sufficient reason for intervention.

Thank god the humanitarian powers were there to support the enlightened rule of czarism and military juntas.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
what is even going on itt

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
An exercise in attempting to blame the horrors of WW2 on every country other than the poster's.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

alex314 posted:

Military junta ruling Poland during that time was so utterly terrible with their strategic decision it warrants a nice post. Highlight would be trying to take Liberia.

That's a joke right

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Lawman 0 posted:

That's a joke right

We tried to set up a trading mission and some people had pipe dreams of maybe one day settling some folks there.

But it pretty much ended when we started trying to sell them chamber pots with holes in them

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cat Mattress posted:

An exercise in attempting to blame the horrors of WW2 on every country other than the poster's.
Well, we definitely didn't start it, but Stalin was right to consider Denmark a co-belligerent of Germany.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cat Mattress posted:

As things go America didn't even start doing WWII horrors until you silly Europeans had been criming each other for 3 years straight. :colbert:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Dwesa posted:

For those that might be interested in quick recap (12 pages) of various pro-Kremlin political organizations, paramilitary groups and media operating in Visegrad group countries:

https://www.bertelsmann-stiftung.de/fileadmin/files/BSt/Publikationen/GrauePublikationen/PB2017_RUSpropaganda_Visegrad.pdf

Always knew SPD were idiots, just didn't realize how much of useful idiots they are.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

OddObserver posted:

Of course, to make things even more complicated, part of "Poland" were really the (multi-ethnic) lands of West Ukraine.

Part of modern "Ukraine" is really the multi-ethnic lands of East Poland. :colbert:

Alternatively long live the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth

tomorrow Kiev, next week Belarus

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

steinrokkan posted:

Russia suffered more than any other country.

In absolute # yes but loving lmao Serbia lost ~25% of its total population and something like >50% of its able bodied men.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
More importantly, it's not an excuse for the horrors of Stalinism... Or its cult of today.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

SaltyJesus posted:

In absolute # yes but loving lmao Serbia lost ~25% of its total population and something like >50% of its able bodied men.

Militarily France lost ~5% of its population while Russia lost about 2%. France didn't have massive famines but that was half war and half the tsar being as incompetent as murderous.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
please come and liberate me from this thread, mr putin

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

As things go America didn't even start doing WWII horrors until you silly Europeans had been criming each other for 3 years straight. :colbert:

If the USA and the UK had agreed to provide immediate military assistance in case of further conflict against Germany, as requested by Clemenceau during the WW1 peace negotiations, then a lot of things would have been very different. The Munich conference wouldn't have resulted in appeasement and the Nazi regime would have been fought before it was ready. So yes, WW2 can be blamed on Woodrow Wilson and Lloyd George.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Ok since Putin is successfully dividing us, I guess we're doing this: WW2 and why Germany got as far as it did

The defeat of France basically came down to 1. the Wermacht taking enormous operational risks (debatable how big, but inarguable that they did) opening up their formations to counter attacks that didn't come because 2. France and the UK acted militarily incompetent. The shock of the Great War and the resulting antimilitarism + that they still won, made for a army organisational culture that didn't dare question itself and how it did things, while the best and the brightest (and results oriented) people stayed as far away from the military as possible. The army was not a good avenue for someone who wanted to get social status.

The French and the British generals fought themselves more than the Germans before Dunkirk, and the Polaks (arguably of course) didn't lose until the Soviets went over the border from the other side, creating a two front war for the Poles while now facing the largest combined firepower in the world.

Tl/dr It wouldn't have mattered if the war started earlier, the Wermacht won because of institutional mistakes of the others, and fighting attritional war against people with way less resources to atrite.
Germany lost the war when the attrition broke them in late '44 (even if some people could see that as early as '40/'41).

It's history. Putin is now. Putin is going to die of age soonish, and where the hell will that leave a Russia now more chauvinistic than ever?

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

It's history. Putin is now. Putin is going to die of age soonish, and where the hell will that leave a Russia now more chauvinistic than ever?

Eh, dude is turning 65 in a few weeks and aside from having a stressful job lives a pretty healthy lifestyle as far as I can tell. He's probably going to live until 80 or something.

We may differ in our interpretation of "soonish" though.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Two decades for a country is sort of soonish. I was obtuse I guess. Still, Ianuchi's new movie is going to be a hell of a thing...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lichtenstein posted:

what is even going on itt

heh, I read these on the local slovenian messageboards literally daily. People unironically arguing "who is worse, hitler or stalin tito?" in tyool 2017.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I think we can all agree it would have been better had Poland never been made independent after world war 1.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Truga posted:

heh, I read these on the local slovenian messageboards literally daily. People unironically arguing "who is worse, hitler or stalin tito?" in tyool 2017.

lol there is a consensus, since trumps election, that we chicken shits are now full fledged royalty

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Don't most analysts assume that Putin will retire after this term and whoever he decides to appoint as his successor will take over?

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
He's definitely staying for another term. "Elections" are next year and grandpa is still young

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

Don't most analysts assume that Putin will retire after this term and whoever he decides to appoint as his successor will take over?

There's been a small wave of think pieces out recently suggesting as much, but they still seem really speculative at this point.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Volkerball posted:

There's been a small wave of think pieces out recently suggesting as much, but they still seem really speculative at this point.

They are really speculative. Putin is visibly healthy, eligible to run de jure, and Russian side of things is showing that he will run, just taking his time to announce thing (why bother hurrying if you are him lol).

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I wonder if Putin would purposely lose to cement his handpicked successor as having power and being worthy of respect? He probably has too much ego for that.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

I wonder if Putin would purposely lose to cement his handpicked successor as having power and being worthy of respect? He probably has too much ego for that.

Putin doesn't take too kindly to people who present a challenge to his rule. I don't think he's the type who's concerned too much about what happens after him.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cat Mattress posted:

If the USA and the UK had agreed to provide immediate military assistance in case of further conflict against Germany, as requested by Clemenceau during the WW1 peace negotiations, then a lot of things would have been very different. The Munich conference wouldn't have resulted in appeasement and the Nazi regime would have been fought before it was ready. So yes, WW2 can be blamed on Woodrow Wilson and Lloyd George.

Fought before the agreement with what army? American military at the time was a shambles that mostly stomped around broke Latin American countries acting as enforcement goons for US corporations and keeping up various straight up colonial occupations. As to the British Army of the time, we've seen how lovely they ended up being with the whole Phony War period to build themselves up actively once the war started, what would they have achieved several years before?

And this is all to say nothing of how transporting what little military capability the US really had in the early 30s across the ocean to go kick in some Nazi teeth would have been a hell of a logistics issue.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lightning Lord posted:

Doing anything that weakens his perceived power would work against his interest in maintaining an aura of invincibility heading into retirement. He certainly doesn't want anyone getting any ideas about investigating his behavior as president, and I think his paranoia alone will keep him in the game in some form or another for quite a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Yes. All of this discussion is what I was thinking off when I mentioned Iannucci's new movie (even though I cant spell his name). Russia having it's strong man dying on his post becomes a bloody chaotic place. So, here's the equivalent of an episode of the Dollop of when it happened last time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukJ5dMYx2no