Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoldyFrog
Oct 28, 2006
Who doesnt like a green fuzzy thing?
I rarely find having left overs an issue. I do love eating don't get me wrong but I try to treat it as a base need. If dinner is 600 calories then I'm gonna eat even if I'm not particularly hungry due to exhaustion. I pack a 1.3L pot to make sure I can make large meals easily.

My last overnight was a literal quart of chili with chicken and then I baked a giant cookie to eat afterwards. Took me longer to finish it all but I made it happen. I know I got my calories and I don't have food waste I need to dispose of a few hundred feet from camp to be safe. I'd rather use the time eating it and relaxing than use that time walking again. It's rest time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Food is something that varies a lot individual to individual. When I started backpacking I worked out approx how many calories I would "need" to remain energy neutral, and packed that much food into the highest calorie per oz. stuff I could find. The result was that I was constantly forcing myself to eat when I wasn't hungry, was carrying extra weight, and invariably ended up packing out half of my last meal and scraping out its dessicated remains once I got home.

These days I just accept that if I only eat when I am hungry I tend to run a large calorie deficit while backpacking, and that's fine since I can just eat like 6 cheeseburgers once the trip is over. My appetite tends to be really suppressed while I am hiking, so I just eat small (few bites) snacks or gel packs frequently during the day to keep my glycogen up, and then eat as large a dinner as I comfortably can at night when my appetite tends to be highest. This generally results in my consuming ~2500 calories a day, which is a large deficit but I don't feel hungry, have plenty of strength, and the few pounds of weight that I may lose on a trip are regained extremely quickly once I'm back to civilization.

Anyway, no matter what you do, you'll want to initially experiment with several different recipes or pre-packaged meals and you will eventually find a small handful that really work for you. Most people I know have 2-3 "go to" meals that they end up using almost exclusively. For me, they are:

-Macaroni and cheese with (lots of) bacon bits and fried onions.
-Dehydrated beans + rice and taco seasoning with cheese and fritos (I stole this from Andrew Skurka's blog)
-Rice + Furikake with olive oil and tuna/salmon from one of those fish pouch thingies.

Those are all one pot meals that take < 10 minutes to prepare, are lightweight, and are consistently satisfying for at least myself and my girlfriend. Plus they make for relatively easy cleanup. I've also found things that just do not work for me, which include oatmeal in any form (which is weird cause I eat a lot of oatmeal normally), and instant mashed potatoes.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm the same way. My appetite gets curbed while hiking. I try to eat as much as possible but its hard to force yourself to eat when you're not hungry, I just try to snack small amounts all day long.

Also, I'm pretty sure I could eat anything with a tortilla. Peanut butter, hummus, honey, beans and rice, tortilla soup (using the tortilla as an edible spoon/sponge), quesadillas, burritos etc.

My go-tos are as follows.

Breakfast - instant oatmeal is hard to beat. Its easy, simple to prepare, tastes good and fuels me up for a while. Toss in some raisins or honey for extra umph.
Lunch - I rarely eat a meal for lunch, its usually just snacking while hiking. Jerky, granola, trail mix etc. Peanut M&Ms are priceless on the trail. Cliff shot blocks are what I eat when we don't stop moving, they're mostly all sugar but they are easy to eat and taste great. Sometimes I will make peanut butter and raisin tortilla roll ups that I will eat for lunch if I need something substantial. You can always do PB&J as well. We usually bring a log of salami but I can only eat so much salami.
Dinner - Tortilla soup (just add water), quesadillas, instant potatoes, rice mixes, mac and cheese, etc are all standard on my trips.

I really want to try this buffalo chicken recipe though, that sounds delicious.

Morbus posted:

-Dehydrated beans + rice and taco seasoning with cheese and fritos (I stole this from Andrew Skurka's blog)

Stealing this too. Pour everything into the frito bag and you have yourself a walking taco, just eat it right out of the bag. Pick up some sour cream packets and boy howdy you're in heaven though your tent mate will soon be in hell.

Verman fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 7, 2017

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Gotta watch out for that HAFE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-altitude_flatus_expulsion

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

This is so amazing, I can't stop laughing... Forget lactose intolerance and IBS, there's a new excuse in town

Verman posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure I could eat anything with a tortilla. Peanut butter, hummus, honey, beans and rice, tortilla soup (using the tortilla as an edible spoon/sponge), quesadillas, burritos etc.
Oh man, how have I not thought of tortilla wrap dessert? Like cream cheese, chocolate, peanut butter, banana, honey, maybe some peanuts or dried cranberries or something.... Hmm...

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Morbus posted:

These days I just accept that if I only eat when I am hungry I tend to run a large calorie deficit while backpacking, and that's fine since I can just eat like 6 cheeseburgers once the trip is over. My appetite tends to be really suppressed while I am hiking, so I just eat small (few bites) snacks or gel packs frequently during the day to keep my glycogen up, and then eat as large a dinner as I comfortably can at night when my appetite tends to be highest.

This is more less or where I have landed. I never really get to do trips much longer in five nights, so I'm not at all concerned about my calorie intake above what it takes to keep me from feeling hungry and passing out from low blood sugar. I do a mix of temperature stable normal foods, a few freeze dried trail meals as a treat, and then a bunch of jerky and snickers bars.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Prettymuch any gases anywhere can get to you at altitude, and they'll take the closest exit they can find. An aeromedical tech once told me about someone they encountered whose tooth cracked from a gas bubble in a poorly installed dental fitting :stonk:

My first few "backpacking meal" experiences were terrible because I didn't bring appropriate food. Meals were based around rice, beans, and other stuff that had to boil for like half an hour but I didn't care because I cooked it over a campfire. The first time I tried cooking with a trangia I used up all my fuel and ended up with half-cooked crunchy rice. Oops!

e. that smilie didn't age well :stonk:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 27, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Holy poo poo someone made a hella sweet set of ultralight trail games.

Four ounces for everything. I don't have any camping buddies but I can think of some other occasions it could be handy. Slinging these on the side would be a pretty neat hustle if it weren't a litigation magnet :v:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

That is extremely cool. Needs to have the silhouettes for backgammon tho, I can never remember the setup :v:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

wool is magic, just wore a wool t-shirt anf jumper all day and they smell almost completely fresh

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
If I wanted to put a bit of cash into a nice raincoat, a) does it make much of a difference, and b) what sort of features should I be looking for? At the moment got just a cheap affair which is hot and heavy, but it gets the job done. Seems like they can get expensive pretty quick, but I have some cash to spare

Ruptured Yakety Sax fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 17, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

If I wanted to put a bit of cash into a nice raincoat, a) does it make much of a difference, and b) what sort of features should I be looking for? At the moment got just a cheap affair which is hot and heavy, but it gets the job done. Seems like they can get expensive pretty quick, but I have some cash to spare

Ehhhhh... Not really? Goretex is technically breathable, but not really if you're doing any kind of activity where you'd be perspirating. Pit zips only work if you're a climber, because the upwards motion of your arms create a bellows effect that you don't get in hiking or biking. In practice, you're going to get wet from either perspiration or the rain. Mainly for me my rain jacket is a guard against hypothermia when the weather is colder.

I do like my Marmot Precip jacket, and I think I paid sixty bucks for the previous year's model on sale. I don't think paying any more than that would get you any better performance or anything, except perhaps lighter weight and stuff, which is great for obvious reasons.

Rain paints are a terrible concept in practice, and I don't know anyone I've hiked with that has ever had a good experience with them or didn't regret putting them on after an hour or so.

I actually haven't used my rain jacket in awhile, I've actually taken to wearing my thermoball hooded jacket because it does a great job of keeping me warm and defleclecting most of the rain. Last trip I took to Monongahela NF it was raining and in the forties, and the thermoball was great.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

Pit zips only work if you're a climber, because the upwards motion of your arms create a bellows effect that you don't get in hiking or biking.

Not at all, they work great just standing around with your hands on your hips watching other people work or slowly strolling over to the catering tent. They are not a perfect solution, but I would never buy a raincoat without them again.

Also rain pants are great once it dips below 60-65f. I deliberately hike in the rain all the time and love them. You get a little muggy but being able to drive home dry is pretty amazing. My only issue with them is not being able to find a pair with all the features I want.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent
Sup gear thread. The hell do I want to put on my feet for day hiking or relatively light backpacking? Just thinking about getting into backpacking and mostly I wear heavy dress boots or sneakers, neither of which I really want to take on the trails. My girlfriend swears by minimalist shoes but I don't know if those will be much good for me if I go back to regular shoes most of the time. The consensus around here seems to be trail runners but I'm not even sure where to start.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Are you somewhere where it's mostly wet, or are you somewhere where it's mostly dry?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
From the light end of the spectrum to the heavy. The size of your body and your gear load will probably make a difference as well. I'm only 160lbs and have backpacked with a 50lb pack in trail runners with ease but other people only backpack in trail runners if they carry light loads. It all depends on you and it takes some experience to figure out what works best for you. Personally I feel like the less weight on your feet is more noticeable than less weight in your pack.

Trail runners
Saucony Peregrine (whatever model they are up to now) these are one of the most popular I see on the trails
Brook Cascadia
Merell Agility Peak flex (I currently wear the older model All out Peak)
Solomon XA pro's seem to be pretty popular as well as the speed cross
I almost went with la sportivas but the soles didn't seem very grippy

Light duty boots
Merrell Moab Mids are crazy popular, probably one of the boots I see most on the trails
Salomon X ultra/quest boots are also really popular, the 2nd most popular on the trails
keen targhee

Backpacking boots
Lowa renegade
Asolo fugitive
Salewa Alp/mountain trainers

There's obviously a ton more but it sort of depends on your feet. Certain brands just don't fit certain feet so its worth going into a place with a knowledgable staff and try stuff on. I really enjoy trail runners for most day hikes and warm weather backpacking. I feel lighter, my hips are less sore, and they dry out much faster if they do get wet. They also breathe 10x more than any boots I ever had. The only time I wear boots is if its going to be insanely rough rocky terrain, or if I'm going to be in snow/cold for an extended amount of time.

I would be careful with "minimalist" shoes as a lot of them have varying degrees of drop which can take some time to get used to and you will likely have to change your stride to accommodate not walking on your heels. I've heard of people having knee pain and discomfort from unknowingly buying minimalist shoes that were essentially barefoot shoes with no heel padding.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
Thanks guys. I'm in the CA bay area and I'd say mostly dry. I could see trips to Yosemite and Big Sur being possible. I'm definitely looking at trail runners and am planning on stopping by REI to grill them and try some shoes on. As far as aesthetics go I think the Arc'Teryx Acrux shoes look really cool but I don't know if they're actually something I would want or need.

MoldyFrog
Oct 28, 2006
For rain gear I'd just use some frog troggs or whatever discount stuff you can get Sierra trading post on a holiday sale. I'm in the PNW so when it rains it tends to keep going or the humidity stays peaked. Even if the gear keeps me "dry" condensation or sweat are going to form on the inside layer and I'm still going to get wet to an extent.

I go for cheap and easy to replace. I have a nicer rei rain coat I paid a fair sum for when I started but have been replacing a lot of the name brand stuff with knockoffs that work just as well in my opinion. The nice jacket is no lighter than my $10 knock off I got so I usually reach for the knockoff anymore and keep the nicer rei/name brand stuff for car camping trips. Something where I want to stay dry but not look like a hobo. In the backwoods I care a lot less about my clown outfits.

Now if your not in the land of endless rain you might want some better gear. Here at least in my experience I'm getting wet either way so why pay a premium for that privilege.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

For CA hiking/backpacking, trail runners are your best bet overall. That being said, there is a pretty huge range in what constitutes a trail runner these days. Some are barely more substantial than running shoes meant for roads, while others have rock plates as beefy as what you find in many hiking boots and relatively stiff mid-soles suitable for extended off-trail activities. There is also a huge range in shape and fit and there will be some brands and models that just don't work with your feet.

If you are just starting out, go to a brick and mortar store and try on as many pairs as possible. Focus on getting a pair that 1.) fits your feet as comfortably as possible 2.) feels comfortable walking in 3.) has a grippy, aggressive sole with good traction. Other factors like rigidity, foot protection vs. sensitivity, balance, off-camber performance, are more subjective and you'll figure out as you gain more experience what you need/prefer.

If possible, buy from someplace with a really generous return policy that will let you exchange shoes even after hiking in them if they turn out to give you blisters, or not fit after your feet get bigger. REI has a really good policy.

One thing about trail runners is they will generally start to show real signs of wear and have noticeably degraded traction around the 100-200 mile mark and will be absolutely falling apart by ~500 miles. My most recent pair of La Sportiva Ultra Raptors are near the end of their useful life at ~180 miles, and this is a model with probably above-average durability.

So, you will have to replace them more often than you would hiking boots....which isn't necessarily a bad thing when you are first getting into hiking/backpacking since you won't be committing to your first pair for too long and can develop a better understanding of what you need from your shoes by the time they are due for replacement.

Edit: Btw, the Arc'Teryx shoes you mentioned are approach shoes, which are basically climbing shoes that have been sufficiently compromised to not suck total rear end while hiking. You can use them for day hiking, and they can be great if you are doing hikes with lots of scrambling or class 3-4 stuff. But for regular hiking/backpacking, the toe box will probably be a bit cramped and uncomfortable, the sole may be more stiff and flat than what you would prefer for walking, and they will have a tougher upper that, while more abrasion resistant, also doesn't breathe as well or dry as quickly as the mesh uppers in most trail runners. The soles may wear out more quickly as well.

Morbus fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 18, 2017

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
Good to know! I'll avoid them and head to REI today to check out some actual trail runners.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Great Metal Jesus posted:

Thanks guys. I'm in the CA bay area and I'd say mostly dry. I could see trips to Yosemite and Big Sur being possible. I'm definitely looking at trail runners and am planning on stopping by REI to grill them and try some shoes on. As far as aesthetics go I think the Arc'Teryx Acrux shoes look really cool but I don't know if they're actually something I would want or need.

Summers in the Sierra's are mostly dry and you're more likely to get wet crossing a stream. Trail runners have been good for me.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Ehhhhh... Not really? Goretex is technically breathable, but not really if you're doing any kind of activity where you'd be perspirating. Pit zips only work if you're a climber, because the upwards motion of your arms create a bellows effect that you don't get in hiking or biking. In practice, you're going to get wet from either perspiration or the rain. Mainly for me my rain jacket is a guard against hypothermia when the weather is colder.

I do like my Marmot Precip jacket, and I think I paid sixty bucks for the previous year's model on sale. I don't think paying any more than that would get you any better performance or anything, except perhaps lighter weight and stuff, which is great for obvious reasons.

Rain paints are a terrible concept in practice, and I don't know anyone I've hiked with that has ever had a good experience with them or didn't regret putting them on after an hour or so.

I actually haven't used my rain jacket in awhile, I've actually taken to wearing my thermoball hooded jacket because it does a great job of keeping me warm and defleclecting most of the rain. Last trip I took to Monongahela NF it was raining and in the forties, and the thermoball was great.

As someone who lives in Seattle and lives in a rain jacket 9 months of the year, pit zips are the poo poo, regardless if you are climbing or not. What you should be doing to combine cooling effects is not locking down your cuffs if you have your pitzips open. Opposite effect if you are trying stay warm, close pit zips, close cuffs. As always, layer up so you can shed or put on clothing depending on activity.

MoldyFrog
Oct 28, 2006
Pit zips were a "this is a great and giant improvement" for the first hour I used them. Two hours in it was a realization that I was no better off before I spent the money on the fancy rain jacket.

Too much rain up here. I'm hosed either way.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

I used to be a big fan of pit zips too since, unless its very cold out, ventilating a waterproof/breathable jacket is the only way to really keep it from sweating out when active.

But in very rainy or extended wet conditions you will just get soaked under your rain jacket if you leave them open, especially if you are climbing.

Pit zips are pretty good for extending the comfortable range of your rain jacket into less rainy, less cold conditions, or for short duration bouts of rain where you nontheless still want to keep at least most of the water out and protect yourself from wind. But, for a variety of reasons, I've come around to instead using a 3-5 oz. windshirt over a fleece as my shell for less severe rain, while reserving the WPB jacket for really poo poo conditions--in which case I won't want pit zips anyway.

I have to disagree about rain pants being terrible in practice. It really depends on conditions. When you need them (i.e. cold, wet and very windy conditions), you really need them.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Looks like I'm going to have to pick up a bunch of new gear soon as I'm planning on backpacking the Isle of Skye in April and May next year. Spending more time in a place I'm not familiar with means my lovely old gear might not be good enough. I also have to decide whether I get new bigger packs for my husband and I or travel with a third bag that we store somewhere on arrival because we pack some things on the exterior of our packs like foamies when on the trail and I don't trust that they'd survive the flights.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Picnic Princess posted:

Looks like I'm going to have to pick up a bunch of new gear soon as I'm planning on backpacking the Isle of Skye in April and May next year. Spending more time in a place I'm not familiar with means my lovely old gear might not be good enough. I also have to decide whether I get new bigger packs for my husband and I or travel with a third bag that we store somewhere on arrival because we pack some things on the exterior of our packs like foamies when on the trail and I don't trust that they'd survive the flights.

When I fly with my backpacking gear, I usually store it in a giant duffel bag just for the flight. That protects the material, straps and buckles from getting caught or damaged somehow and if anything falls out of the pack, its still in the duffel bag. When you land, remove it from the bag and just store the bag somewhere. Some airlines also have those big plastic bags you can wrap your stuff in. Airports usually have those plastic wrap services as well which you could just wrap everything on your bag.

The costlier option is getting a bag that fits all your stuff internally.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Clever. I have traveled with a backpack before but everything fit inside so I never bothered worrying too much. I even have some friends in the UK who might be able to help with storage. Bag inside a bag is clearly the simplest way to go about it. Thanks!

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Skye is awesome! You're going to have a blast.

Since when backpacking you pretty much have to check some items (trekking poles, for example, are not usually allowed on planes), I usually just check a relatively sturdy suitcase and stuff things that would be impractical to carry on the flight in there. Foam pads, trekking poles, and stuff security may complain about like tent stakes or microspikes, should all fit inside a non-oversized suitcase.

The backpacks themselves we just take as our carry-on and put most of our other gear inside them.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

My foot is fractured and I can no longer take a hike for some weeks/months. I'm not sure how I will cope. :(

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Time to learn how to use those useless upper legs I'd say.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

khysanth posted:

My foot is fractured and I can no longer take a hike for some weeks/months. I'm not sure how I will cope. :(

Condolences, that really sucks. Could you try cycling instead?

Picnic Princess posted:

Clever. I have traveled with a backpack before but everything fit inside so I never bothered worrying too much. I even have some friends in the UK who might be able to help with storage. Bag inside a bag is clearly the simplest way to go about it. Thanks!

Forget storage, just go to the thrift shop and buy some airplane luggage for two bucks, ditch it when you get there, and pick up some at a thrift shop near the airport for the trip home. I've never been in a goodwill where they didn't have some luggage or even a gym bag or something.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

OSU_Matthew posted:

Condolences, that really sucks. Could you try cycling instead?

No, it's too painful to put any weight on the foot. :(

Going to use these weeks of rest to start planning a Tahoe Rim Trail thru-hike with the wife next Summer.

Unibrow
May 12, 2001

Just stopping in to pay my respects for this thread and all the posters in it. I'm finally tagging along on the dad & uncles annual week-long hunting trip, and this thread has been a boon for getting my head in the right place while I prep.

I inventoried my clothes a week ago after I started reading the thread, and it was all cotton; pants, shirts, socks, all cotton or cotton with a small amount of poly. Threw out the lovely Wal-Mart long underwear (cotton) in favor of the 32°Heat synthetic base layers they were selling surprisingly cheap in-store at Costco. Instead of dropping serious coin on a thick waterproof jacket as planned, I picked up a Marmot waterproof shell off the closeout rack for 60 bones, with fleeces of varying thicknesses to go under it (I learned that layers are king!). Breaking in a comfortable pair of Merrell Moab Mids right now, so I have something to wear that isn't a waterproof boot if the weather is nice. I've also started to be more active lately, so I'm hoping to transition all my newfound gear into brief overnight weekend solo excursions.

I'm easily the 'softest' city-boy on dad's side of the family (I'm not even actively hunting this year; I'm just bringing my camera), so this thread went a long way to keep me from looking like either a bumbling unprepared idiot or a ridiculous gear queen. Thank you all.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Unibrow posted:

Just stopping in to pay my respects for this thread and all the posters in it. I'm finally tagging along on the dad & uncles annual week-long hunting trip, and this thread has been a boon for getting my head in the right place while I prep.

I inventoried my clothes a week ago after I started reading the thread, and it was all cotton; pants, shirts, socks, all cotton or cotton with a small amount of poly. Threw out the lovely Wal-Mart long underwear (cotton) in favor of the 32°Heat synthetic base layers they were selling surprisingly cheap in-store at Costco. Instead of dropping serious coin on a thick waterproof jacket as planned, I picked up a Marmot waterproof shell off the closeout rack for 60 bones, with fleeces of varying thicknesses to go under it (I learned that layers are king!). Breaking in a comfortable pair of Merrell Moab Mids right now, so I have something to wear that isn't a waterproof boot if the weather is nice. I've also started to be more active lately, so I'm hoping to transition all my newfound gear into brief overnight weekend solo excursions.

I'm easily the 'softest' city-boy on dad's side of the family (I'm not even actively hunting this year; I'm just bringing my camera), so this thread went a long way to keep me from looking like either a bumbling unprepared idiot or a ridiculous gear queen. Thank you all.

Where you going and what's everyone hunting? Before I got into hiking and backpacking, that was my exposure to the outdoors. It was my step dad and his buddies and when I got old enough that I wasnt a kid or a burden and actually interested ... they were some of the best times of my life.

Our yearly fall hunting trip to the upper peninsula of Michigan in late October are some of my favorite trips. Sleeping in a tent in freezing temps, seeing a bear run across the two track at night. Sitting around the fire hearing wolves howling and running through where I had just been hunting. So many fun times and belly wrenching laughs that we will laugh about until we die. The inside jokes and stories seem to get funnier as time goes on.

I eventually moved to Chicago for college and would drive up to meet them for a few years. Then i moved to Seattle and my fall trips stopped happening. Now I hike in the cascades and hunt for pheasants in eastern Washington and its great but it's not entirely the same.

Sorry if I'm a little nostalgic but my step dad just headed up on the trip and I get a little bummed every year I can't make it out. You may be a little nervous but enjoy the times while you can. Glad the forum was able to help you out!

Unibrow
May 12, 2001

Verman posted:

Where you going and what's everyone hunting? Before I got into hiking and backpacking, that was my exposure to the outdoors. It was my step dad and his buddies and when I got old enough that I wasnt a kid or a burden and actually interested ... they were some of the best times of my life.

Umatilla National Forest in eastern Oregon. Combing through the email chain, it looks like mainly deer, with a bear, elk, and cougar tag mixed in.

Dad took my brother and I out car camping a couple times a year when we were younger, and my brother took to it immediately while I appreciated none of it. Now that Grandma passed away earlier this year, and Grandpa passed away a couple years ago, dad and the uncles no longer have living parents. I figured I need to light a fire under getting this done soon, so I'm not crushed with regret when the opportunity is gone forever.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Unibrow posted:

Hey, that's great! Thanks man! That's all I'm hoping for, is that some of this is helpful for people. Hope you enjoy the trip!

Quick recommendation question... I'm looking for a way to help organize my excess tarp tiedown cordage so I don't have to untangle the thin reflective line when unrolling and pitching my tarp. It's purposefully long so I can pitch my tarp with the poles holding it up like a front porch, or tie to nearby trees and stuff.

I've been wrapping it around my index finger and pinkie and tying it off, but that tends to get tangled.

I'm thinking of those little stick figure things for headphones you can wrap them around... Does anyone use or can recommend anything like this for stowing their excess lines?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

I've been wrapping it around my index finger and pinkie and tying it off, but that tends to get tangled.
If you are not already, try wrapping it in a figure 8 motion.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

CopperHound posted:

If you are not already, try wrapping it in a figure 8 motion.

Yup! That's exactly what I've been doing, which kinda sometimes works, but it still manages to tangle up with the other tie downs since I just leave them right on the tarp.

Previously they'd been separate and I could just wrap the cord around the stakes, but I've switched everything out and it's just not feasible to do it that way anymore.

I was just hoping there'd be something small simple and lightweight I could pick up and wrap stuff with, and Google isn't very helpful with the terms I've been searching

MoldyFrog
Oct 28, 2006
Maybe a small piece of omnitape could work. Like Velcro but it sticks to itself. I've been toying with the idea of making a small bag with individual pockets for each stake and it's cordage to go into instead of in a single generic bag. They never stay separated and the cords get tangled by the time we get to our spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

How are they getting tangled? Is the wrap coming undone? Also what kind of line are you using? In general narrower diameter stuff tangles much easier. Like 0.5 mm line may save you 1-2 oz of weight tops on 200 ft of line, vs. regular ol' 3mm paracord, but with the thicker cord you can generally toss it into a big dumb pile and not have to deal with tangles.

For my tarp, I just leave the guylines attached and fold the tarp for storage. Or at least mostly fold then stuff. If you fold it so that there are only 1-2 guylines per "layer" of fold you can make it impossible or at least much more difficult for guylines to interact with each other.

I've seen some people mess around with some nonsense like this https://youtu.be/fHTg5hK5mZM, but I can't be bothered.