Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Watch as the Mei lines up shot after shot after freezing, missing each one, is the best about playing against her.

That or her trying to freeze Orisa is hilarious to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

World Famous W posted:

Watch as the Mei lines up shot after shot after freezing, missing each one, is the best about playing against her.

Unfreezing people as zarya is pretty magical too.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

World Famous W posted:

The worst that happens to me as Mei is freezing a person and her gun reloading automatically.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I got together with a group of friends and ended up playing QP for 4 hours last night. We lost two games in the whole session. I dread to think what my MMR's gonna be like this morning.

e: we played 21, won 19. That's mad.

Teratrain fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 15, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Maple Leaf posted:

What's a good accuracy percentage for Ana? I've been using her a lot lately and I'd like to know how well I'm performing with her. I usually float around low-to-mid 70% accuracy for scoped and mid-60% for unscoped.

I also did this tonight, which I thought was pretty good, but again I don't have much of a standard.

Win rate is the only stat that matters :twisted:

For real though, the better you perform, the better your win rate % will be. Simple really. IMO, try not to get caught up with accuracy percentages, KDR, etc. or try to compare them to some baseline standard. If you're making an impact on the game or performing poorly, you should be able to tell. Stats are neat to look at, but they're just a byproduct. No need to worry about them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Accuracy is actually the stat you want to care about the least, because tryhard gamers will fire at corners which fucks your accuracy but is a better way to play.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I don't care about it a ton but I usually end up with 60%-70%accuracy as Ana, both unscoped and scoped, depending on if my team has a Genji or Pharah since those two are harder to hit sometimes. I love taking potshots at random stuff though, which probably hurts it a bit.

It's really not something you have to worry about, if you think you're doing poorly you probably are and vice versa. Your team will also absolutely let you know if they aren't getting healed enough. Allies have exaggerated hitboxes for you, I can easily and consistently pull that accuracy off every match without trying and I can assure you I am absolute trash if you were to hand me Widowmaker.

teagone posted:

For real though, the better you perform, the better your win rate % will be. Simple really. IMO, try not to get caught up with accuracy percentages, KDR, etc. or try to compare them to some baseline standard. If you're making an impact on the game or performing poorly, you should be able to tell. Stats are neat to look at, but they're just a byproduct. No need to worry about them.

This, for real.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

It's a HotS skin :ssh:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Lava boob

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Kokoro Wish posted:

It's a HotS skin :ssh:

Am... I missing something here?

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Thor-Stryker posted:

Am... I missing something here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq4Y7ztznKc

:thunk:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

What thread is this.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

dogstile posted:

Accuracy is actually the stat you want to care about the least, because tryhard gamers will fire at corners which fucks your accuracy but is a better way to play.

All spam all the time, for sure.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Thor-Stryker posted:

What thread is this.

Instead of putting boring WoW character Lord Fartface Minotaur King of Codswallop in their tribute f2p game, Blizz cuts off his skin and puts it on D.Va.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dogstile posted:

In addition to what's been said, while I'm sure there are plenty of extremely bad Ana players out there (and I believe that Maple Leaf is qualitatively an above-average player so I certainly wouldn't consider him one) Ana's much vaunted "aim-based support" playstyle seems like it could be quite easily padded out by spending most of the game shooting darts into the butts of your tanks, all of which have extremely generous hitboxes.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
played my first competitive game. are all of them going to have people with their mics turned all the way up screeching and calling people cucks when we lose

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
welcome to competitive overwatch :unsmith:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Stay in chat, just effortlessly mute the people who annoy you and watch as all your problems seem to disappear (the toxic players you mute are almost never saying anything useful)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I've honestly only rarely encountered people in voice who decide to melt down, usually it's the people typing stuff into chat who wind up being the biggest assholes in my experience.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm Silver comp chat I'm more likely to meet "extremely and immediately creepy towards any female voice in chat" than full on screaming tilt-A-whirls and the racism usually gets relegated to text chat

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm Silver comp chat I'm more likely to meet "extremely and immediately creepy towards any female voice in chat"

This on the other hand is present at every level, and in fact in every game known to mankind.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

it didn't happen in Battleborn

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

frajaq posted:

it didn't happen in Battleborn

I have it on good authority that Randy Pitchford used to play with one of those voice modulators to give the remaining dozen players something to keep them coming back.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kai Tave posted:

In addition to what's been said, while I'm sure there are plenty of extremely bad Ana players out there (and I believe that Maple Leaf is qualitatively an above-average player so I certainly wouldn't consider him one) Ana's much vaunted "aim-based support" playstyle seems like it could be quite easily padded out by spending most of the game shooting darts into the butts of your tanks, all of which have extremely generous hitboxes.

Quoting myself because I just came off a mystery heroes game where it gave me Ana and in three minutes of gameplay I had a 75% unscoped accuracy stat solely from standing behind two tanks and taping down M1. I don't think it's a very useful metric because I am in no way, shape, or form a skilled Ana player.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Been playing a few rounds as Ana in quick play to try to learn how to play her. I'm picking up on aim now (especially unscoped healing shots) but for the life of me I cannot hit those sleep darts. I wonder why it's not working for me.

(Though, the people I played with said it was a great game and I was the best Ana they had ever played with, which is kind of depressing, however flattering. We coordinated a nanovisor combo at the end for the win, so that was cool)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I hate when nobody else picks healer so I have to play as one. I try to be more offensive so I pick Ana or Zenyetta, but get people complain about me because I miss a lot of as Ana or don't immediately heal or use my ult at the perfect time. I'm sorry that I am not picking Mercy and just not doing anything but healing one person at a time and nothing else until the big rez or Lucio and feel like I am not healing enough.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Matsuri posted:

Been playing a few rounds as Ana in quick play to try to learn how to play her. I'm picking up on aim now (especially unscoped healing shots) but for the life of me I cannot hit those sleep darts. I wonder why it's not working for me.

(Though, the people I played with said it was a great game and I was the best Ana they had ever played with, which is kind of depressing, however flattering. We coordinated a nanovisor combo at the end for the win, so that was cool)

Sleep darts seem to have a similar fire delay to Mei icicles so maybe if you think of them that way? Otherwise it can honestly be useful to simply start out by aiming for tanks. Sleeping an ulting Genji is clutch, but being able to take a tank out of the fight is still a pretty solid way to swing things in your team's favor.

There are also plenty of "Ana Paintball" matches through the custom game browser for people looking for general aim practice with the character.

Rirse posted:

I hate when nobody else picks healer so I have to play as one.

Are we talking comp or quickplay? If this happens in quickplay the appropriate response is to either

A). Pick Roadhog, inform them that "Roadhog is a healer," or

B). If they complain about needing a support then thank them for volunteering for the job and pick whoever you want to play.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I wish they could make another healer as fun to play as Zenyatta.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks, I'll practice with Ana more and see what I can do.

I only really play Quick Play for support practice because no one loving plays healers in Quick Play. Last time I picked a DPS in Quick Play, no one picked a healer. I just said "seriously guys?" and picked Mercy.

Also, if you're "only healing one person at a time and nothing else until the big rez" with Mercy, you're not doing it very well. Be active and zip around, keeping everyone topped off between fights, and go into fights with the damage booster on. Mercy's mobility allows her to also have a bigger frame of reference regarding what is happening on the battlefield, so you can be doing that and communicating with your teammates. (This is why the Mercy update excites me; Valkyrie mode is a much more active and fun ult than just a mass resurrection... and I never really bothered waiting for the key time for "big rez", I'd just use it whenever losing an ally would put us at a serious disadvantage. Which is why the 30 second res is every bit of a buff for the way I play her.)

On the other hand, ymmv because I'm the kind of person who likes playing Mercy.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The hiding mercy tactic meant that a nimble riptire or an on point doomfist would just wreck a defense too. They already were down a healer, then she got killed while chilling behind the point watching them die.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kai Tave posted:

Sleep darts seem to have a similar fire delay to Mei icicles so maybe if you think of them that way? Otherwise it can honestly be useful to simply start out by aiming for tanks. Sleeping an ulting Genji is clutch, but being able to take a tank out of the fight is still a pretty solid way to swing things in your team's favor.

There are also plenty of "Ana Paintball" matches through the custom game browser for people looking for general aim practice with the character.

Are we talking comp or quickplay? If this happens in quickplay the appropriate response is to either

A). Pick Roadhog, inform them that "Roadhog is a healer," or

B). If they complain about needing a support then thank them for volunteering for the job and pick whoever you want to play.

It was quick play. To be fair with the Zenyetta complainer, he was constantly bitter Tjoborn player who was very arrogant and constantly angerly at my team anytime we were losing or he died. The other team and enemy team didn't like him very much.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I mostly play QP, and if no one else picks a healer I'll usually grab Lucio because he's fun. If anyone complains I just say 'He's not my main, but no one else was healing. Feel free to step up and I'll switch'. The people that complain never will, the decent people just switch themselves without bitching at you.

I ended up in a super chill 5 stack last night just through the 'keep team' button. No one bitched about anyone's choices, and when we lost an objective in overtime after completely shutting out the other team for the clock, one guy got on voice just to say 'It's ok, we held them down really well until that one slip, let's regroup and we'll hold them off the second point, I know we have this'. We went around a half-dozen games before people had to leave, it was fun and great to have an almost full team of just nice people.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
For some reason every time I play FFA deathmatch like 3-5 people are playing hanjo.

I mean, fine because I play Junkrat and eat them alive but I didn't think Hanjo would be like the most optimal pick for DM.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ffa is the one game mode where no one on your team can complain about you choosing hanzo

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I've done reasonably well playing Hanzo in FFA as well and its fun to play a character I otherwise almost never get to play.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

For some reason every time I play FFA deathmatch like 3-5 people are playing hanjo.

I mean, fine because I play Junkrat and eat them alive but I didn't think Hanjo would be like the most optimal pick for DM.

Hanzo isn't going to be up there with Junkrat/Genji/McCree but he's still very good in FFA, he gets a lot more dangerous in an environment where everyone is coming from every angle because 1) he has x-ray vision up most of the time and 2) it's vastly easier to nail people with projectiles when they're not aware of you.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

teagone posted:

Kai Tave posted:

Play Ana like Bastion, got it

I'm on a pretty harsh losing streak right now, so maybe I'll just stick to what I know, haha. Thanks for the tips, though: focus less on the numbers and more on shooting people when they need to be shot.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Thor-Stryker posted:

What thread is this.

World of Hearthwatch of the Starstorm?

Itzena fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 17, 2017

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
u forgot diablo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe