Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

People who have loud PS4s; how much space is behind the console? I say this as my silent console is on an open style corner unit so has just under a metre or so of space behind it but next to none around the unit, but a friends is much louder, has space around but the unit is closed at the back.

Might be worth pulling it forwards if you think it's making too much noise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My PS4 Pro is a month old whisper silent but it gets pretty hot in the middle, I looked it up on reddit and lots of people say their PS4 Pro runs hot enough to cook eggs but works fine so IDK

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Being hot is not an issue if it has enough space around. My slim gets kinda hot (and that's after a long session) around where the HDMI plug wich is the zone the GPU should be so it's ok, the rest of the console is cool.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Bust Rodd posted:

My PS4 Pro is a month old whisper silent but it gets pretty hot in the middle, I looked it up on reddit and lots of people say their PS4 Pro runs hot enough to cook eggs but works fine so IDK

they are designed and tested to run continuously at these temps. im sure there is a killswitch in there if the temp actually does get out of control for some reason

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Weavered posted:

People who have loud PS4s; how much space is behind the console? I say this as my silent console is on an open style corner unit so has just under a metre or so of space behind it but next to none around the unit, but a friends is much louder, has space around but the unit is closed at the back.

My PS4 has only been loud with those select games. It's got plenty of space behind it, and it's not enclosed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The only thing that makes my original PS4 really loud is this one menu in nioh for some reason, which happens so suddenly that it makes me worried my PS4 is going to lift off and fly away

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Awesome! posted:

they are designed and tested to run continuously at these temps. im sure there is a killswitch in there if the temp actually does get out of control for some reason

there absolutely is a screen for if things get too hot, i tried playing my ps4 one summer day before i got my AC where it was 100 or so and my ps4 shut down over the heat.

also goons do not worry if your ps4 is pumping out heat, like with vomit better out than in.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Another thing to consider is my PS4 runs cool but is sitting on a piece of metal, which absorbs and disperses heat much better than say varnished wood or coated plywood.

I couldn't figure out why my brother's PS4 was so loud even though it had plenty of air around it. Turns out it was sitting on a piece of wood shelving that was hella hot, and underneath that shelf sitting on thick carpet was a piping hot cable modem. In other words, an oven.

I shuffled his modem out of there and stuck the PS4 on a piece of metal above the shelf: whisper quiet.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Launch PS4, no problems, system gets loud when in the helicopter in MGSV. Unless it dies I see no point in getting a Pro. I bought my tv before became a thing but it's fine enough for me (55" Samsung smart 1080p).

If money doesn't matter go for it. But in my experience I've never played a game and thought "man if only this looked better."

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Boy, I'd heard bad things about Chapter 13 in FFXV but oh boy - yeah, it's bad. And from what I understand it was even updated to make it less bad but it's still bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All they did was make the ring more powerful so you don't have to hide from stuff so much.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They give you the option of playing a different version as like gladio where the combat is just average instead of extremely bad too

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Weavered posted:

My launch PS4 on my old TV stand had at least 6" of clearance around it and it was pretty loud from early on. Only got slightly louder later before I sold it, so I know dust wasn't a big issue. My Pro in my current TV stand has much less room (maybe only 3" behind it, and that is with me cutting a big rectangle hole in my stand's back cover), and it is rarely audible. That said, I do have 2 USB fans in the cubby, one blowing in cool air near the intake and one blowing the hot air out the back so it does not recirculate. I'm not taking any chances.

After I realized I shouldn't have sold my launch PS4 because my remote play in the basement isn' t as smooth as I'd like and I want to play Gran Turismo using my racing wheel without having to lug it up and down the stairs each time, I purchased a used UC4 matte blue non-Pro/non-Slim PS4 (the launch style one with the non-touch buttons, and I think a better fan and maybe even lower power utilization). And I have it standing vertical to look all pretty with the Nathan Drake silhouette and it doesn't get that loud either.

tl;dr - I think the launch PS4's were just a special kind of loud, similar to the fat PS3's and non-slim/non-E 360s

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Schremp Howard posted:

Launch PS4, no problems, system gets loud when in the helicopter in MGSV. Unless it dies I see no point in getting a Pro. I bought my tv before became a thing but it's fine enough for me (55" Samsung smart 1080p).

If money doesn't matter go for it. But in my experience I've never played a game and thought "man if only this looked better."

I don't plan on getting a 4k set for a while, but I got a Pro for the performance upgrade. A trade in deal made it feel pretty worth it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If my PS4 ever needs to be replaced I'll get a Pro because the Slim looks kind of cheap.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Idk why they even bothered. Maybe if the slim was $250, $200 even

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Huh, interesting discussion. My PS4 Pro is quite loud when playing games. I keep it inside a TV stand that has a ~2x180cm hole in the back for wiring and ventilation, but perhaps that hasn't been enough...

Edit: I've also turned boost mode on. That probably doesn't help at all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

If my PS4 ever needs to be replaced I'll get a Pro because the Slim looks kind of cheap.

That extra sandwich layer really screams quality over that otherwise identical looking console.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

That extra sandwich layer really screams quality over that otherwise identical looking console.

gently caress you dude, everyone knows double stuff oreos and double chocolate milano cookies are better than regular versions

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the filling is the worst part of the oreo

come at me

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Birthday cake Oreos are honestly divine

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sony will just keep adding layers with each console iteration. By the time PS9 comes out it will be a perfect cube. A cube that plays games... What shall we call it?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

those are actually good yeah.

the best ones are the white fudge covered ones they do during the holidays

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Awesome! posted:

the filling is the worst part of the oreo

come at me

maybe you don't like the filling because i already came at you :dong:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Sony will just keep adding layers with each console iteration. By the time PS9 comes out it will be a perfect cube. A cube that plays games... What shall we call it?

If it was the 10th iteration we could call it a Box X. X for ten and box because it's a cube that plays games in box form.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Acually PS9 is an orb full of spores
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdh4TqWFfX4

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The PS4 is tilted so it can never become a cube.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah but the Sony GameRombohedron doesn't really have the right ring to it.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Diablo 3 is so good on playstation but I can't decide if I should get the necro pack. 13 quid seems a lot for one character class when I've barely touched the main game.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
69% through farcry 4 and still enjoying it. I think i can attribute my successes entirely to the tiny helicopter + mini grenade launcher power combo

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Macarius Wrench posted:

Diablo 3 is so good on playstation but I can't decide if I should get the necro pack. 13 quid seems a lot for one character class when I've barely touched the main game.

You can wait for a sale but I bought it as soon as they released it. I've had (and still have) a lot of fun with the necro and you get some extra cosmetic poo poo too. I still think that is a little expensive but as time dump is great.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

fridge corn posted:

69% through farcry 4 and still enjoying it. I think i can attribute my successes entirely to the tiny helicopter + mini grenade launcher power combo

The sex %age...nice

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Macarius Wrench posted:

thats an outrageous cost for one character and two slots and like, probably some wings or whatever. on the other hand it probably wont go on sale and the class seems fun. this is one of those cases where i would just grit my teeth and spend the cost of an entire on sale game for one character.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just buy the Necromancer if you think he's cool, no one is going to weep for the agony of spending $15.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I have decided not to buy the necro pack. I have many demons to bash in with the other characters. They will not get me with their nostalgic throw backs to Diablo 2 this time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Conversely, $15 is one (cheap) night out watching a movie and getting take out, and I've put like 40 hours into my Necromancer.

Also, the success of the Meveo pack is highly indicative of of another character pack, almost certainly the Druid, according to some insiders.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

For the price of three lattes you could be raising the dead and making them explode

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

For the price of three lattes you could be raising the dead and making them explode

As much as I like to play Barbarian and Monk, the Necro is by far my favourite now. Lots of fun skills to use, fun builds (without needing end-game content) and good looking armors, shame that bone armor hides everything and makes you look like a space marine (I avoid using it).

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Man druid was the worst D2 class.

Druids in general suck in games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I agree. Also players playing druids that shapeshift into stuff are furries, like in WoW. Most of the weirdos I've met played female druids. After that is hard to complain about anime in videogames.