Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

About the only places where confidence and a work uniform won't work are federal government and some very high security locations.
Having an old-looking company badge with your picture on it will do wonders even at the above places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It might be my cold talking here, but you know what's frustrating me today... people who complain about chat when using chat programs. I'm sorry you have to "scroll past" a bunch of stuff to get to current, but some of us were using that tool. And it's like the 3rd person today over multiple applications. Slack, Discord, whatever. Like, you don't have to read every last thing. It's for talking. People are going to talk.

"Please stop interrupting my idling."

Ugh.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Internet Explorer posted:

It might be my cold talking here, but you know what's frustrating me today... people who complain about chat when using chat programs. I'm sorry you have to "scroll past" a bunch of stuff to get to current, but some of us were using that tool. And it's like the 3rd person today over multiple applications. Slack, Discord, whatever. Like, you don't have to read every last thing. It's for talking. People are going to talk.

"Please stop interrupting my idling."

Ugh.

I mean, IdleRPG is a thing but they probably shouldn't play it in the company's main discord channel

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Followup: I scored a huge apple fritter sort of thing and it was... okay. Better than no apple fritter at all. :btroll:

Afterward I had to go solve a problem: A user moved from our main office to a smaller location and couldn't get both monitors to work. The onsite I.T. Manager that everybody loovvvvves so much more than me was unable to figure it out so I decided to take a swing.

Long story short: somewhere between here and there Windows decided to forget about both the onboard and discrete video cards. This fellow didn't look at Device Manager or he'd have seen the Display Adapters section was empty! I reinstalled the Intel onboard driver and everything worked again.

A weird problem but such a simple fix I'm surprised he wasn't able to troubleshoot it in two minutes like I did.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 15, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I admire your dedication to the cause, friend.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Methanar posted:

At an old job I made a run to the bottle depot to drop off several large bags of recyclables and I kept my hardhat on for the trip. People let me cut in line because clearly I was important, and some other dudes with safety vests congregated to help me out.

Basically just always wear a hardhat is what I'm trying to say.

A hi-vis jacket and some tools on a belt is more or less an access-all-areas pass.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

A hi-vis jacket and some tools on a belt is more or less an access-all-areas pass.

Yup. Nobody is going to mess with the guy carrying one of these.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I don't know where else to post this so I'm sharing it with all of you.

It's the most incredible thing I've ever seen and hope to someday emulate it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5iUsaPPtnk&t=108s

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Methanar posted:

That's the main reason I carry one of those. I don't do analog very much, and when I need to I have a much smaller test set, but the classic butt set is pretty much a universal pass in to maintenance areas.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

Isn't us-east-1 the duct tape and string AWS region?

Us-east-1 is the granddaddy of all regions and most services get deployed there first. Because everyone knows this, everyone deploys all of their poo poo there first which makes us-east-1 quite the busy region.

This is why AWS built us-east-2: to have another east coast-ish region that can pick up the slack from us-east-1.

Us-west-2 and eu-west-2 are my personal favorites. They're like the cool kid brother you let hang out with you.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

fishmech posted:

And if you do it while wearing an ID tag or a hard hat, it's even easier.

I often get myself backstage at shows by hanging a sharpie from a shoestring around my neck. Every roadie has a sharpie around their neck and who would be wearing a sharpie around their neck that didn't belong?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get a lanyard from a lighting equipment manufacturer and tape the pen to it, and for extra authenticity make sure the lanyard is grubby.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Get a lanyard from a lighting equipment manufacturer and tape the pen to it, and for extra authenticity make sure the lanyard is grubby.

A great idea, but that involves finding a lanyard from a lighting manufacturer.

I can always swipe a sharpie and I have two boot laces readily available.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Agrikk posted:

Us-east-1 is the granddaddy of all regions and most services get deployed there first. Because everyone knows this, everyone deploys all of their poo poo there first which makes us-east-1 quite the busy region.

This is why AWS built us-east-2: to have another east coast-ish region that can pick up the slack from us-east-1.

Us-west-2 and eu-west-2 are my personal favorites. They're like the cool kid brother you let hang out with you.

Ca-central-1 is the neglected drunk cousin of AWS regions much like Canada is neglected and drunk in general

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
farts

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 26, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I wish we could build a loving team, but for some reason hiring in IT is like pulling teeth, but hey we just hired a few new marketing and sales folks.

My boss has been trying to get good data on how much a percentage of income should be spent on IT. We've grown 300% in 15 years but have 1 less employee in IT than when I started.

But we'll spend 250k a year in programming consultants instead of hiring 1 new programmer.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ca-central-1 is the neglected drunk cousin of AWS regions much like Canada is neglected and drunk in general

I am very much using this during my next well-architected discussion.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Methanar posted:

Only because I don't want to be involved.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
crap

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 26, 2018

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Is there a reason for a shared mailbox to be on its own full access list in O365? And on it's Send-As list?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I assume somebody had permission issues once and decided to firehose a load of new ones in until the problem went away

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
http://weavesilk.com/

This changes everything

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Does anybody else have days where they get started on something simple, and end up walking miles down some insane path and completely wasting the day?

Guest wifi at a remote building doesn't work this morning. Check it out, not getting DHCP? Dive into routing issues, fall over poorly designed networks, dig into possible long-term redesigns to eradicate the bullshit. Solutions are big changes and need to be tested, how about trying GNS3 first to prove the changes? GNS3 now apparently requires a VM, deploy that in the server environment, troubleshoot connection issues, we're up and running and need IOS images. Find the FTP server is down, out of hard drive space? Email MSP to put them on blast, fix the issue, still getting weird FTP connection errors, resolve all those and archive the catalyst switch image. Import to GNS3 and oh? Catalyst isn't supported? Cool!

Guest wifi at remote building is still down :suicide:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Does anybody else have days where they get started on something simple, and end up walking miles down some insane path and completely wasting the day?

Guest wifi at a remote building doesn't work this morning. Check it out, not getting DHCP? Dive into routing issues, fall over poorly designed networks, dig into possible long-term redesigns to eradicate the bullshit. Solutions are big changes and need to be tested, how about trying GNS3 first to prove the changes? GNS3 now apparently requires a VM, deploy that in the server environment, troubleshoot connection issues, we're up and running and need IOS images. Find the FTP server is down, out of hard drive space? Email MSP to put them on blast, fix the issue, still getting weird FTP connection errors, resolve all those and archive the catalyst switch image. Import to GNS3 and oh? Catalyst isn't supported? Cool!

I feel for you. I have had days like this.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Methanar posted:

http://weavesilk.com/

This changes everything

Double post because I now have nothing to do for the rest of the day

http://r.weavesilk.com/?v=4&id=ram1xukc3f1

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
toot

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 26, 2018

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Double post because I now have nothing to do for the rest of the day

http://r.weavesilk.com/?v=4&id=ram1xukc3f1

(its an owl)

http://r.weavesilk.com/?v=4&id=jok1xukt6ph

Methanar fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 18, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Those are not goatse, I am disappointed in goons this day.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

http://r.weavesilk.com/?v=4&id=faw1xul370q

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

MF_James posted:

You can sorta see it.....

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

MF_James posted:

It's hard when you aren't artistically inclined OK?

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

MF_James posted:

http://r.weavesilk.com/?v=4&id=axz1xulgdtf

There, happy?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Acceptable. Yes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Judge Schnoopy posted:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2gp98t

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

No ring

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I know. Better to have an extra symmetrical ring than none at all.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
For the first time ever I had to re-enable an AD account that I disabled months ago. :v:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Nice. Yeah. I modified the script to only disable the AD thanks to this thread.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
This thread inspired me to clean out the 'manager' field and remove all groups (while writing to a log file as reference) from users in the disabled OU. Things are much more neat now and I feel better about the disabled accounts sticking around forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

In attempting to build a simple intranet for our HR person it's been interesting to see how much website construction has changed since back when I was doing this as an actual job in the 1990s. Back then I was mostly hand-coding for HTML 2/3 in GoLive Cyberstudio.

I had a spare Adobe cc license so I installed Dreamweaver cc and HTML 5 is a whole different ballgame. The CSS and Semantic Web side of things is really interesting, as are the functions to allow a single website to auto-conform to various screen sizes and platforms.

I decided to grab a Dreamweaver book in Kindle format and have forced myself to start at the beginning and work my way through it so I don't create some sort of hideous hand-coded/WYSISWYG monstrosity. It's been so nice to sit here quietly and learn something new that I'm actually using, especially with my perspective from having started with web design in the old days.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 19, 2017