Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

Frankly, he's right. We should go for guaranteed jobs. Not GMI.

I've heard stories about how in Mao's China they had people whose job was to go out into the streets in the winter pouring water on the pavement so that the people whose job it was to break up all the ice on the pavement would have ice to break up every night

now that's productivity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

If working made you proud and happy we wouldn't have rising suicide rates

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

loquacius posted:

I've heard stories about how in Mao's China they had people whose job was to go out into the streets in the winter pouring water on the pavement so that the people whose job it was to break up all the ice on the pavement would have ice to break up every night

now that's productivity

Well there's solutions like that but we could also push for a real 40 hour work week or for guaranteed vacation or for actual infrastructure work like the CCC but I guess because someone proposes a solution it means any implementation is okay.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Why I am friends with people who share things from this hive of the brokenbrained on Facebook

" Wise Women for Clinton posted:

Women who come after her will certainly face sexism. Women before her certainly did. But no one will ever again REPRESENT the changing status of women in our culture the way she has, and so no one will ever inspire the passion she has.

America, our beloved white supremacist capitalist hetero-patriarchy, still needs to define itself largely in opposition to everything she is.

And anyone who claims to hate her for any other reason simply doesn’t loving get it. I don’t pretend to feel otherwise anymore.

People I otherwise respect constantly pull out their laser pointers and refer to charts and graphs, and appeal passionately to my intellect and character and sense of freedom and justice and outrage, and I just sit there murmuring “mmmm-hmmmm,” waiting for them to be done.

I listen to them as well as I can, with as much respect as I can, until their words turn into Peanuts–parent dialogue. I sit there, tired, irritated, knowing that I know why they hate Hillary Clinton, but they never will.

:thunk:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

loquacius posted:

now that's productivity

There was a story by Asimov (IIRC) that I read in an anthology one time where this dude had to swallow his pride and sign up for government assistance, but then he was given a super secret job that he couldn't tell anyone about, not even his wife; the giant arcology they were all living in needed maintenance, and it was his job to go around tightening bolts all night, and if people knew the bolts were coming undone they'd all freak out. So he had this super important job that gave him pride and helped him overcome the shame of being on government assistance. His best friend, who got him on assistance in the first place, was amazed at the change in his friend and how he seemed happy again; his only regret was that he couldn't tell his buddy about his top-secret work on the bolt-loosening crew.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

i was about to ask if they make zybourne clock jokes because that'd probably make me want to finally listen to this show that apparently everyone else does

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/908115444216815616

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
instead of more jobs, how about fully automated luxury gay space communism

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao Bernie is god tier at throwing shade at Crooked Hillary

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/17/bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton-242819

quote:

Bernie Sanders scoffed at Hillary Clinton's claim that he didn't do as much to mobilize his supporters on her behalf as she did for Barack Obama in 2008.

"I worked as hard as I could to see that Hillary Clinton would be elected president," Sanders told NBC's Chuck Todd on "Meet the Press" on Sunday.

Clinton has expressed frustration in interviews promoting her new book, "What Happened," that she "didn't get that same respect and reciprocity" from Sanders that she showed toward Obama after losing a much more closely fought primary in 2008.

"The political sin he committed was the failure to move quickly to unify the party and his supporters," Clinton told CNN's Anderson Cooper last week.

But Sanders, who was Clinton's strongest rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, dismissed the idea that he could have persuaded any more of his supporters to swallow their disappointment and vote for Clinton.

"People say, 'Well, not everybody who voted for Bernie ended up voting for Hillary,'" Sanders said. "No kidding. That's what happens in politics. If my memory is correct, in 2008, something like 24 percent of the people who voted for Hillary Clinton in the primaries ended up voting for John McCain

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Everyone able-bodied or minded participating in labor but as a result everyone working less hours in the workweek is generally a fairer solution than UBI until we live in a Star Trek universe. Having people laboring and people not laboring will breed resentment between the two.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i wonder if any of the hillary cultists seeing bolsheviks in every washroom realize they all sound exactly like glenn beck

lol if you can go into any washroom and not see a bolshevik staring back at you

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

comedyblissoption posted:

Everyone able-bodied or minded participating in labor but as a result everyone working less hours in the workweek is generally a fairer solution than UBI until we live in a Star Trek universe. Having people laboring and people not laboring will breed resentment between the two.

lol way to completely miss the point of ubi

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

im a little afraid of what zuckerberg's notion of UBI is

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the lowest safety net possible while ensuring there's no cap on wealth,

in other words, maintaining or even growing the massive wealth disparity while the capital holders don't have to feel bad about it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

someone else pays everyone to be on facebook for 12 hours a day and make him richer

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/TedNesi/status/909587542391042049

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/909590685061394432

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/palebirdy/status/909596939443953664

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
In a perfect world "job guarantee" would probably be better than UBI but the latter is so much easier to implement than the former I'm just gonna go ahead and side with UBI.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

As :discourse: as that 24% number for Clinton/McCain voters is, I do wish it would get mentioned more that like ~9% of Obama primary voters went to McCain. People do weird poo poo when it comes to primaries and GEs.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how about a job guarantee and UBI

also a complete restructuring the economy involving civil forfeitures, seizure of offshore assets, no mercy for tax cheats, a universal standard of living to get people out of bug infested shitholes hardly maintained by lovely landlords looking to make a quick buck off the vulnerable, kicking the foreign money out of housing, a national infrastructure redevelopment and mass transit program, socializing finance, etc etc

it's not that there isn't a shitton of work to be done, it's simply a matter of private capital not seeing a return on getting it done.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm for guaranteed (to the extent possible) employment opportunities (with an expansion of what it means to be employed to include things like pursuing education or a craft) and for the guarantee of a life of reasonable comfort for everyone regardless of their employment status or pursuit of same.

And if this means that the shittiest jobs don't have people gravitating toward them, then we can forcibly fill them, but we start with the wealthiest people and going down from there.

Mr. Koch, if you've got time to lean on the American people, you've got time to clean up after the American people.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Big fan of the War on Drugs Joe Biden is human scum? Shocking.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzsDQa104Z4

our boy Jimmy did the full Joy Reid takedown and boy is it good

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Horseshoe theory posted:

Lmao he used to brag about creating the "drug Czar" position

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

it's not that there isn't a shitton of work to be done, it's simply a matter of private capital not seeing a return on getting it done.

This is the key to... lots of things. People who advocate that there needs to be an even greater wealth disparity in the future do so out of observations at how little interest there is within governments to do wild, ambitious things. They think a world where trillionaire silicon valley tech gods can pursue their whims is the only world where humanity is able to do... anything, whether it be cure uncurable diseases or mine asteroids or eventually get offa this rock. Their problem is they are seeing the symptoms of all-powerful capital influencing world government and thinking that it's a problem of an equal world. It isn't. Capital only does things that make it profit, and it doesn't LIKE risk. Governments that govern on the behalf of it are anemic and predatory, the solution isn't to give power to the class that's more interested in doing basically nothing and getting rich AF, it's to strip power from that class and use it to improve society.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/JarettSays/status/909575183324798976

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Explain to me how this is wrong. If you're just a consumer, Which you would be if you're in a mass unemployment, gmi situation, you no longer have power over the economy. Even if a job is make work, it will almost assurdily have some part in a economy, and if say enough people got pissed off, and decided to not do their work they could harm the economy. What pwoer do you have if you cannot work, and therefore take part in the economy and are at the mercy of the legislators, especially if you still have people like Zuckerberg and Thiel to worry about?

This I can get behind. Cut the hours you have to work to be considered full time.

Imagine, a four or even three day work week.

Taintrunner posted:

the lowest safety net possible while ensuring there's no cap on wealth,

in other words, maintaining or even growing the massive wealth disparity while the capital holders don't have to feel bad about it

Silicon Valley really is making me start to think that perhaps that society in Dune isn't a bad idea.

Crowsbeak has issued a correction as of 03:37 on Sep 18, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

failures gotta respect failures

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Oh Snapple! posted:

As :discourse: as that 24% number for Clinton/McCain voters is, I do wish it would get mentioned more that like ~9% of Obama primary voters went to McCain. People do weird poo poo when it comes to primaries and GEs.

I think people forget you had things like limbaughs "operation chaos" to get Rs to vote in the dem primary. As well people like to vote in competitive primaries so you may have seen a lot of republicans vote in dem primaries that year, just like you may have seen crossover in 2016s primaries.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

He would have won pretty hard tho, disappointingly enough.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i love that dumb dems have fully embraced sean spicer and forget that he has always been a republican troglodyte

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

In a perfect world "job guarantee" would probably be better than UBI but the latter is so much easier to implement than the former I'm just gonna go ahead and side with UBI.
the new deal jobs programs employed millions of people. i think it was over 10% of the entire US population at the time

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

i love the REAL billionaires who are my FRIENDS and not FAKE billionaires LIKE donald TRUMP

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

wait why the gently caress do dems like sean spicer now

did he win them over with the holocaust denial

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Normalization.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
If people don't want to work they shouldn't have too. UBI is good