Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

AgentF posted:

No "it's ok to say no" is extremely clever because it appeals to people who are uncomfortable with homosexuality but are guilted out of voting no. They don't believe in gay marriage but probably wouldn't say it to family or co-workers and can see the happiness and love in the pro-SSM messages and wonder if being opposed to SSM might be the wrong thing to do. The positive message of "it's ok to say no" makes them feel comforted about the way that they feel. "Yeah, if everyone's supposed to be tolerated then I should be tolerated for my views too".

It focuses on the person rather than the issue because the no campaign is negative about the issue whereas you can be positive about the potential no-voter. It assuages their guilt and reassures them that they aren't doing anything wrong.

Wonder if all this poo poo will be addressed on Gruen.

The question there is, of course, if that'll be enough. It's a much more narrow target audience than they seem to think, even if it's potentially a very broad message that picks up plenty of people of differing reasons for their opinion. At its most valuable, it's a slogan to go along with all the other ideas they're hurling out, giving people all these reasons to vote no then telling them it's okay to do that, but that requires a few things to get wind in their sails at once.

Individual family members are potentially the most influenced by this sort of thing--giving lovely Uncle Greg the ammunition and excuse he needs to stick to his guns at the family reunion--but I don't even think that's necessarily enough. Families tend to vote as a bloc on this one from what I've seen, and I'd say chances are pretty good that'll be primarily informed by a shared experience. Scare Uncle Greg all you want, often not even that will be enough to break the story of their mate at the cricket club, and it definitely won't penetrate much further than that.

I've got an extremely lovely uncle, the type who would absolutely be voting no in isolation. But even he's not going to, because his daughter's a lesbian. I think that sort of personal connection rings so much stronger than any fearmongering that the no side can pump out.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

AgentF posted:

No "it's ok to say no" is extremely clever because it appeals to people who are uncomfortable with homosexuality but are guilted out of voting no. They don't believe in gay marriage but probably wouldn't say it to family or co-workers and can see the happiness and love in the pro-SSM messages and wonder if being opposed to SSM might be the wrong thing to do. The positive message of "it's ok to say no" makes them feel comforted about the way that they feel. "Yeah, if everyone's supposed to be tolerated then I should be tolerated for my views too".

It focuses on the person rather than the issue because the no campaign is negative about the issue whereas you can be positive about the potential no-voter. It assuages their guilt and reassures them that they aren't doing anything wrong.

I agree with all of that. I just take it as a positive that they have to resort to such chicanery. They can't say what they truly feel about gays because society at large would pillory them for saying it outright. "It's okay to say no" acknowledges a sense of guilt, and if that's the mindset they're appealing to, the outcome seems good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I get the feeling a lot of antipathic people probably aren't going to bother to fill out and send back the surveys anyway.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Inescapable Duck posted:

I get the feeling a lot of antipathic people probably aren't going to bother to fill out and send back the surveys anyway.

hey my brother said to fill out whatever because he didn't give a poo poo so that's a +1!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
that is not a face I want to see first thing in the morning.

also, I love how the 'no' campaign are really playing the victim in all this. so much for the tolerant left, they are calling us BIGOTS, and all we did was oppose equality for people we think are inferior

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Also remember that if someone says they don't give a poo poo either way, then remind them that Yes is the "I don't give a poo poo" option.

Can you think of a reason why gays shouldn't marry? Me neither, gently caress it, just let'em. They can be as miserable as the rest of us. Just vote Yes and get it over with.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Small sample size, I know, but I've been doorknocking and heard mostly people who already have voted, or have said they will when they get the ballot. Apathetic people are few and far between on this one.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Don't forget that Australian election polls don't usually have to control for voter turnout.

This survey is further complicated by the fact that voting requires going out of your way to find a post box, as well as caring enough to view in the first place, and we live in a world where a lot of 18 year olds don't know how to post a letter.

Public opinion is definitely a heavy yes, but how that translates to survey results is a bit of a mystery.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 18, 2017

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Cleretic posted:

Small sample size, I know, but I've been doorknocking and heard mostly people who already have voted, or have said they will when they get the ballot. Apathetic people are few and far between on this one.

I'd like to echo this. Of the people I spoke to on the weekend, everyone was enthusiastic in their support for the yes campaign and nearly half signed up to volunteer in some capacity.

I've never had such a positive response.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Good to be back in Brisbane

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'm probably going to start carrying around a sharpy just because of all the awful graffiti and posters that pop up.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The frog face...

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

tithin posted:

When in doubt
Call Raptorfag!

Anidav posted:

Why does this stupid survey even exist
Can't get married if you commit suicide :smug:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...49f8a5bb4d091a5

quote:

Labor frontbencher Andrew Leigh said there should be additional resources given to mental health services given reports there has been a dramatic spike in demand since the start of the postal survey campaign.

Totally unforeseeable and unexpected :monocle:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Knorth posted:

The frog face...

That's her smiling face

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm angered by the fact that I have a say in this gay marriage issue. I haven't got my voting thing yet, but I'll be ticking yes with a very cranky look on my face.

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-18/gordon-loses-ten-network-court-decision/8956062

ABC News posted:

Australian media mogul Bruce Gordon has lost his court case against the Ten Network's administrators KordaMentha and US media giant CBS.

Mr Gordon and Lachlan Murdoch had taken action against the administrators of the Ten Network, arguing their bid to buy the network had not been properly considered and a competing bid from CBS treated more favourably.

In dismissing Mr Gordon's case, the Supreme Court of NSW decided that the second creditors' meeting would proceed as planned tomorrow.

:allears:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

https://theconversation.com/new-phonics-test-will-do-nothing-to-improve-australian-childrens-literacy-83045
The phonics test is based on synthetic phonics. The children are given 40 words on a computer screen, with no context. The words are not put in a sentence, or given any meaning. This is deliberate, and an important feature of a synthetic phonics approach, as the children must show they are not relying on meaning or prior experience with the word in order to successfully decode it.
Phonics test is back in the news. With most of these harebrained schemes you can at least see how it might work if the world was a different place, but how this ever became a pillar of conservative education policy is just baffling.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 18, 2017

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/jimmybarnes/status/909257336295890944

:australia:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Almost disappointed this wasn't directed at :scrunt:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The best part is still the fact that based on recent polling, predicted swings, and the fact that he held Dickson by 3% in 2016 (on a -5% swing), he's almost certainly not going to be elected in 2018.

Hopefully that won't prevent the high court from charging him for crimes against humanity sometime down the line, if Labor somehow stop being awful and go after he and Morrison.

edit: DICKson

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

The Before Times posted:

that is not a face I want to see first thing in the morning.

also, I love how the 'no' campaign are really playing the victim in all this. so much for the tolerant left, they are calling us BIGOTS, and all we did was oppose equality for people we think are inferior

They're also upset that Sydney council's campaigning for 'yes'. Our rates are paying for this, how unfair! Let's forget that the federal government is spending over a hundred million on opposing and delaying equality. Council's spending a hundred and ten thousand on the 'yes' campaign

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

open24hours posted:

Phonics test is back in the news. With most of these harebrained schemes you can at least see how it might work if the world was a different place, but how this ever became a pillar of conservative education policy is just baffling.

Wait. The radical right is now getting OUR CHILDREN to voice meaningless words with no context and then penalising them for getting it wrong???!

What??

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

FORMER prime minister John Howard is calling senior conservative MPs and pushing them to come out against same-sex marriage.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal Mr Howard has accused senior ministers such as Scott Morrison, Peter Dutton and Mathias Cormann of running dead on the issue.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

*true colors starts playing*

Maybe this will finally break the BEST PM EVAH poo poo I see about Howard.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I still find myself yelling at morons at parties who claim that John Howard was a good PM. It's almost always the same idiots you constantly have to call out repeating urban myths with an air of authority to young people/tourists too. If you'd actually tried to hold a job in that last term you'd probably feel differently, scrunty.

Hopefully this will be a straw/camel scenario for some of the social left/economic right idiots who didn't vote for Abbott but probably voted for Turnbull because they look back fondly on the Howard years for some dumb gently caress reason.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Mr Howard can go gently caress himself.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Hold on, just reading this in full:

ABC posted:

Ten's troubles began in early June, when Mr Gordon's and Mr Murdoch's private companies, Birketu and Illyria, decided not to continue being the guarantors for the network.

The struggling network was then placed in voluntary administration on June 14 on the basis that it was "insolvent or likely to become insolvent".

So these fuckclowns not only drove it into the ground while Lachlan was CEO/Chairman by splitting off the entertainment programming and creating a 3 hours news block, letting Gina buy Bolt prime time air and other generally skeezy poo poo - but they actively pushed the network into bankruptcy because they smelled the 2/3 rule getting scrapped and wanted to get the ball rolling?

And then failed anyway, because Murdoch Jnr is a proverbial shitmidas who ruins everything he touches.

I'm both amazed and disgusted.

Here's hoping CBS drops all of the FOX content 10 is licensed for, starts picking up decent non-reality programming, kills 7 and 9's market share and then transitions smoothly to on-demand while the media networks of Packer and Stokes implode.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm surprised anyone still believes in Lachlan Murdoch after the One.Tel fiasco.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Just stream GiantBomb content 24/7 and be done with it

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

You Am I posted:

I'm surprised anyone still believes in Lachlan Murdoch after the One.Tel fiasco.

Wasn't Trumbull involved in that fuckup too?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Don Dongington posted:

Here's hoping CBS drops all of the FOX content 10 is licensed for, starts picking up decent non-reality programming, kills 7 and 9's market share and then transitions smoothly to on-demand while the media networks of Packer and Stokes implode.

CBS is currently loving their online model hard in the US, so don't count on it. They have an unreliable low-quality subscription-based service that still shows ads.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Comstar posted:

Wait. The radical right is now getting OUR CHILDREN to voice meaningless words with no context and then penalising them for getting it wrong???!

What??

The process is basically the same as how adults attempt to read and sound out new words phonetically. So fake words are an attempt to simulate that process. It works great if you already know how to read, but less so if you are a group of children with varying levels of competency. It's similar to 'common core' maths in the United States. Parents discovered that students are being taught to do maths using a variety of different techniques, and got upset that they aren't doing maths the 'right way'.

The 'wrong way' often involves using reasoning, simplification, and educated guesses as a guide to solving a problem. If you are in education, you probably think that this is actually a good thing (it is), since you are teaching kids how to reason and conceptualise problems abstractly rather than superficially follow a predetermined method. Conservatives and concerned parents see it as not teaching kids how to do things the perfect, unmistakable way, or that it doesn't look like the way I was taught (which confuses me, so it is bad). They also view it as a softening of standards and a means of doling out participation trophies for attempting a problem, but getting the wrong answer.

To many conservatives, education is a battleground for the culture war. Kids should be taught the one true algorithm since your brain is basically a calculator, and is the rational and logical way of doing things. There is a certain appeal to authority and conformity to an objective standard, which also feels right. But the process is corrupted by progressive educators teaching children how to conceptualise problems, reason with them, and being creative about how to frame and simplify problems. To them this is the realm of feelings (paradoxically, conservative feelings still matter) and giving an unnecessary latitude over not being able to conform to the proscribed way (society works on strict rules, and if you can't add numbers you won't ever make it). Never mind that you can't add the columns and carry the one in university maths, and you often make the same shortcuts that they are railing against when doing maths problems in your head.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 18, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

CBS are the pioneers of reality.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
How is that poo poo uq rally going? I showed the flyer to another student who was at the vote yes rally and she legit couldn't tell if it was taking the piss.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

CBS are the pioneers of reality.

So my dreams of 16 hours of NCIS 7 days a week are to be dashed?

Oh cruel reality,

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

You Am I posted:

i got my first phone from one.tel, it got stolen and i refused to keep paying for it.

then one.tel collapsed and there were never any ramifications for me.

thanks lachlan

thaclan

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Don Dongington posted:

Here's hoping CBS drops all of the FOX content 10 is licensed for

That'd be a bleedin' outrage, it would. Simpsons reruns on Ten are as Aussie as nonbinding postal surveys on whether people should be treated equally.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Zenithe posted:

How is that poo poo uq rally going? I showed the flyer to another student who was at the vote yes rally and she legit couldn't tell if it was taking the piss.

Some violence apparently. My source on the ground says the police broke it up and its just gay people and dickheads glaring at each other now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lmao Dutton has spent $10b on refo camps.

• Locked thread