Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

a witch posted:

I got one of these and it never clicked. It runs out of ammo so fast, even if you're getting kills.

I'm also using the War Rig chest armor. It's hilarious how big the mag gets with those two working in tandem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.

Classical Muzak posted:

I'm also using the War Rig chest armor. It's hilarious how big the mag gets with those two working in tandem.

I also got this today. It's such stupid fun.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

a witch posted:

I got one of these and it never clicked. It runs out of ammo so fast, even if you're getting kills.

It's really good for the skulls phase on calus. That + arc souls and we had 75 damage stacks each time

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I don't care about most of the other "controversial" changes in D2 but man gating raid loot with the boss kill is a kick in the nuts if you can't get a win in

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
After nearly everyone complaining about the crucible I was wary of trying it until today and it was fun as hell. Ended up playing enough to finish the call to arms and only had one or two lovely games. Ran into a few people using the MIDA but not as many as people seem to be implying. Highlight was my second game ever and getting 17 secures in supremacy and no one else had more than 7. Ended up winning 33 to 32. Maybe my experience was infuenced by getting an exotic engram after my first ever game. Ended up being a duplicate of merciless of course.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I got the Peacekeepers and 1 kinetic, 1 energy smg as a striker titan and.... it's completely underwhelming :(

in pvp at least

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

Live At Five! posted:

After nearly everyone complaining about the crucible I was wary of trying it until today and it was fun as hell. Ended up playing enough to finish the call to arms and only had one or two lovely games. Ran into a few people using the MIDA but not as many as people seem to be implying. Highlight was my second game ever and getting 17 secures in supremacy and no one else had more than 7. Ended up winning 33 to 32. Maybe my experience was infuenced by getting an exotic engram after my first ever game. Ended up being a duplicate of merciless of course.

The quickplay list isn't bad for solo players or smaller teams, competitive is bad if you don't have a 4 man

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is competitive just a dick waving exercise or does it net bigger gains for rewards when you win?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Celery Jello posted:

Aaaaaaah, I get it. It lets you slowly prop up the “low end” of your gear level since the items that pulled up your level only cover one or two slots.

The game also provides two jumpstart chances in the form of way-above-your-level (I think?) quest exotics, so you can jump your way out of light level hell twice per character. I'll never do them, of course, because min/maxing OCD prevents ever getting them until ~optimal~. :v:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
competitive is great because it does not contain the game mode 'supremacy'

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

JBP posted:

Is competitive just a dick waving exercise or does it net bigger gains for rewards when you win?

except for trials which is a loot explosion, no

Competitive is basically trials practice

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Holy crap I just read a bunch of hand wringing elsewhere online that the game has nothing to do, I wish I had the time to plow through all the content in a week

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

competitive is great because it does not contain the game mode 'supremacy'

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Survival is DOODOO though.

Supremacy over Survival ANY day

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

texaholic posted:

The quickplay list isn't bad for solo players or smaller teams, competitive is bad if you don't have a 4 man

Competitive good. Solo queue Competitive good.

Keep your eye on the roster to avoid 4-mans, sure, but steel sharpens steel and going in there alone is healthy.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I don't understand how people could think the game is bereft of content. But then again poop sockers are a scourge and should be ignored. Honestly if you're at the point of having nothing else to do after clearing the raid, trials, nightfall, crucible, challenges, and flashpoint maybe play another game? I guess this is a backlash against Bungie for making a game that's easier for an average player instead of the hardcore audience. D2 is more enjoyable for me because I don't have to play all week to make meaningful progress, just when I can make time for the game.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

cvnvcnv posted:

Competitive good. Solo queue Competitive good.

Keep your eye on the roster to avoid 4-mans, sure, but steel sharpens steel and going in there alone is healthy.

I'll have to check it out again, I played 2 games at launch for the milestones or whatever and haven't been back sense.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I’ll admit looking ahead it seems like there’s a lot of content that quickly becomes irrelevant that I wish didn’t, like strikes and adventures, but even so it certainly seems like there’s a lot regardless of that.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

About sums up Trials.

Check out the clan tag:

"We Hate Black People"

Seems like a really swell group of gents

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I'll never queue competitive unless I'm in a group but the round of survival I played was the most intense round of PvP I've played in forever. Ended up trading wins each round until we lost on match point but nothing feels more clutch than managing a triple when lives are exhausted for both teams. I had a lot of success with the Galliard-42 energy auto rifle, it's 600 rpm instead of the 450 that seems to be in vogue but it still seemed to be pretty good. I tried to use the various SMGs I had but I could never make them feel good. I tried MIDA mini tool and riskrunner but I felt like I was missing most shots even when they enemy was like 5 feet away. I'll stick to using a scout rifle kinetic plus auto rifle energy.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

texaholic posted:

I'll have to check it out again, I played 2 games at launch for the milestones or whatever and haven't been back sense.

It's pretty chill, actually. If you keep to your range, consistently disengage if you start losing, and generally play smart, you should have a great time :) But also do take your buds and mates in to run a train on sissies.

KillTylerDurden
May 15, 2004
I watched Fight Club one too many times.

Mailer posted:

The game also provides two jumpstart chances in the form of way-above-your-level (I think?) quest exotics, so you can jump your way out of light level hell twice per character. I'll never do them, of course, because min/maxing OCD prevents ever getting them until ~optimal~. :v:

Sturm and Mida are capped at 300, in my experience.

Anybody know what's best use for the XP medallions?

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

KillTylerDurden posted:

Public events. I pulled a purple and a gold engram out of the first chest the last time I popped one.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Live At Five! posted:

I don't understand how people could think the game is bereft of content.

I think it's more that the switch at 265 happens and then it's 2-3 Powerful Gears a week outside of the exotic grind. Up until then you're playing normally and incrementally getting upgrades then suddenly the mask comes off and it was an MMO all along. Sure, it's not really accurate, but I see where people are coming from. There's also so much weekly content hidden behind quests and milestone unlocks that for all I know there may be a crapton of additional weekly gear chances I don't even know about.

It does kinda suck that adventures/patrols/misc stuff don't do anything in the post-20 game outside of random "do 3 X" weeklies where you do the easiest possible three things. There seems to be a ton of miniquest content that no one will ever do because why bother.

KillTylerDurden posted:

I'd imagine they're like everything else, but what do I have to be to hit 300? 285? 290?

quote:

Any time you'll be playing for 1.5+ hours pop one. Doesn't matter what you're doing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Celery Jello posted:

Holy crap I just read a bunch of hand wringing elsewhere online that the game has nothing to do, I wish I had the time to plow through all the content in a week

I smashed through the main game, strikes and nightfall in a weekend. I understand that all I did for 48 hours is smoke weed and shoot aliens to acquire gear and ignored 90% of the other poo poo in the game. There are loads of voiced missions and other poo poo to do that I'll get involved with when I'm not doing weeklies (which will absorb 99% of my regular playtime if I'm honest).

I think people expect world of warcraft, but it's not doable in a shooter. I felt like the power curve was very tight compared to D1, but loving, I'll take that over weeks of grinding for no result. The only thing I think they need to do is thin out the exotic drops because I nearly have exotics for every slot and they don't feel special.

Mailer posted:

It does kinda suck that adventures/patrols/misc stuff don't do anything in the post-20 game outside of random "do 3 X" weeklies where you do the easiest possible three things. There seems to be a ton of miniquest content that no one will ever do because why bother.

I'll go and do it because there might be some gems. It also unlocks the exotic quests I think. Will be busy work gaming at the very least.

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 18, 2017

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Avalanche posted:

About sums up Trials.

Check out the clan tag:

"We Hate Black People"

Seems like a really swell group of gents

Cool, reported to Bungie! :cheers:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Sweet Business is going to be my Gjallerhorn. But I got a horn pretty early last year, so hopefully I get sweet business too.

If I can't get the business, what is a good kinetic AR? I somehow fed all my Scathelocks into my Uriel's. And I haven't gotten a kinetic AR since.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Scathelock or the origin story are pretty good.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Scathelock or the origin story are pretty good.

Origin story comes in Kinetic flavor? I have only gotten the elemental variety. If that's true, maybe a kinetic Uriel's is possible?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

cvnvcnv posted:

Reminder that you can inspect the loot pool of exotic engrams, and they change every few minutes.

Wait, the ones in your inventory change? Really?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm finding the Vigilance Wing to be pretty deadly in crucible if you can live with a pulse rifle.

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

cvnvcnv posted:

Reminder that you can inspect the loot pool of exotic engrams, and they change every few minutes.

It just rotates through showing all the possible things that could be in there because the UI bit for that is not large enough to show everything. It's not showing you a set selection that it will choose from if you decode it right then.

KillTylerDurden
May 15, 2004
I watched Fight Club one too many times.

the good fax machine posted:

Public events. I pulled a purple and a gold engram out of the first chest the last time I popped one.

Noice, thanks!

Mailer posted:

I'd imagine they're like everything else, but what do I have to be to hit 300? 285? 290?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Ultimate Mango posted:

Origin story comes in Kinetic flavor? I have only gotten the elemental variety. If that's true, maybe a kinetic Uriel's is possible?

I've only seen the kinetic version, didn't know it was an elemental too. What the heck.

Anyway is there any point in being anything other than a striker as a Titan, aside from if you want to cosplay as captain America, because holy moly it is head and balls above the other two subclasses

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

KillTylerDurden posted:

Noice, thanks!

Note that you need to do the heroic version of public events to get exotic drops, I didn't know this until recently but there are a bunch of different things you need to do to turn events into their heroic versions

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Ghost was annoying in D1 but holy poo poo this is a all new level of annoyance plus fail safe

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Any boners want to carry my 267 rear end through nightfall?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

cvnvcnv posted:

reminder that this is not a true thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

reminder that this is not a true thing

I mean, the visible list changes, but it doesn't actually change the pool you are drawing from