Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
He is living his best life. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
Wouldn't his "experiments" cause power issues for his neighbours?

I can imagine living next door to him would be annoying enough with the explosions, fire and toxic fumes wafting over the fence, let alone my lights dimming every time he plays with his Dr Evil control panel thing.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What is the best way of whooping out a gazillion lumen actually? Is it to heat some garage door springs to the point of melting? I feel there should be ways that don't involve quite so many Watts?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Whipstickagostop posted:

Wouldn't his "experiments" cause power issues for his neighbours?

I can imagine living next door to him would be annoying enough with the explosions, fire and toxic fumes wafting over the fence, let alone my lights dimming every time he plays with his Dr Evil control panel thing.

That depends on a lot of things like how the electrical system where he lives is configured, and how he has configured the equipment in his house. I would bet that the load into his house though the step-down transformer (like 4160V to 240V) isn't enough to significantly impact voltage regulation on the upstream bus. Just because his lights may dim if he overloads the transformer that doesn't mean it's going to impact the upstream medium-voltage bus.

If he ever set up something like a very large drive that could cause issues due to harmonics depending on the topology of the drive. That can do wierd things like cause visible flicker in light bulbs and screw with electronics.

The technical term for this is "power quality" or PQ. There is almost an entire science behind PQ.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 17, 2017

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
What Photonic really needs to do is rent an industrial space with a proper 400/240V Wye power system. That would give him much more power to play with. :getin:

revolther
May 27, 2008
So just full on batman villain then?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Modest Mao posted:

Film sets work with this stuff daily it's not really that weird. A 20k bulb is a little weird unless you're outdoors or shooting slow motion. But it's not that weird to put 100 something amps on a cable.

Our 100amp cables are also much less safe looking than that.

:911:

Neat. I work with milliamp circuits so this is lmao territory.

DICKLORD BONE
Aug 27, 2003
PI posted a video awhile back about how he had to stop one of his large transformer experiments because it was causing his neighbors lights to dim. He also has some type of upgraded industrial style connection to the power grid iirc

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

DICKLORD BONE posted:

PI posted a video awhile back about how he had to stop one of his large transformer experiments because it was causing his neighbors lights to dim. He also has some type of upgraded industrial style connection to the power grid iirc

Just shine his miniature sun at his neighbours house 24/7.

Problem solved.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

DICKLORD BONE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut5DXxK1dvk I think this is the one you're referring to

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

wolrah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut5DXxK1dvk I think this is the one you're referring to

At around 2:41 there he seems to be putting a zinc-covered rod between the two connections until it gets white hot. Who knows what heavy metals course through his veins (and clog his neurotransmitters).

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWhj_tOvLUA any guesses on what caused the horrible smell in this video?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
The clips of the HVDC valve hall and SCADA system screen around 2:50 are from the movie "Pulse".

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Three-Phase posted:

The clips of the HVDC valve hall and SCADA system screen around 2:50 are from the movie "Pulse".

What's your av from?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Dark Off posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWhj_tOvLUA any guesses on what caused the horrible smell in this video?

I dunno just smells like my house when I watch it.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

spankmeister posted:

What's your av from?

https://youtu.be/cvk8Tv38y28

WILL SOMEONE SILENCE THOSE drat ALARMS?!?!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Three-Phase posted:

https://youtu.be/cvk8Tv38y28

WILL SOMEONE SILENCE THOSE drat ALARMS?!?!

poo poo, I thought it was from the China Syndrome.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

poo poo, I thought it was from the China Syndrome.

"It's perfectly normal."

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Man that "Reactor Vessel Low Low Water Level" warning...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Three-Phase posted:

Man that "Reactor Vessel Low Low Water Level" warning...

Love that that film came out only days *before* Three Mile Island, where a valve that was stuck open displayed on the control panel as closed, and the operators didn't realize the indicator was faulty and caused a loss-of-coolant.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

:stare:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Heckin good doggo

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

Jeoh posted:

Heckin good doggo

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That looks like a less than ideal situation.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
The Umbrella Corporation is OSHA compliant, even with their kill rooms.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That's some good warning signage.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

CannonFodder posted:

The Umbrella Corporation is OSHA compliant, even with their kill rooms.

Okay dude, I guess we're just ignoring the atrocious state of their labs and the loving dead factory now.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

How in the gently caress?!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks like a runaway car, probably rolled downhill?

edit: ah here:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2013/jun/14/guide-dog-runaway-car-video

also from other news sites:

quote:

He added: ‘You can’t train a dog for such a dramatic incident.’

Police are investigating how the 93-year-old motorist lost control of the vehicle.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 18, 2017

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

quote:

Police are investigating how the 93-year-old motorist lost control of the vehicle.

A mystery for the ages.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

quote:

:lol:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
"WHY AREN'T THE BRAKES WORKING?!?!?!"

*mashes accelerator as hard as they can*

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Memento posted:

"WHY AREN'T THE BRAKES WORKING?!?!?!"

*mashes accelerator as hard as they can*

There was a farmers market just past those people she needed to drive into.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

you only need eye protection if you're the one holding the tool. that's the rules.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

VectorSigma posted:

you only need eye protection if you're the one holding the tool. that's the rules.

You don't need eyes to see a bright enough flame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWFF7ecArBk