Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mitsuru and Akihiko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Mitsuru and Junpei.

lightace
Jul 13, 2016
Mitsuru and Akihiko

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
no one

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Mitsuru and Junpei.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Mitsuru and Junpei.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Take Mitsuru and Junpei because your job as party leader should be creating awkward social situations.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

W.T. Fits posted:

Mitsuru and Junpei.

This sounds good to me.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Mitsuru and Junpei.

Can't see any problems with this logic!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
code:
Akihiko: |||           
 Junpei: |||||||||||   
Mitsuru: ||||||||||||| 

My Choice: |||
While it is quite tempting to leave it open for another day or so, it, uh, seems very one-sided.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Sorry-not-Sorry Aki, being a middle-of-the-road character is just begging to be killed off quickly. That and we can risk one-mores for higher damage output. Specially if you just equip Element Charms for Dodge Elements against their weakness.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
I'm feeling the pull to pick this back up again. I never beat P3, I would always get to this dungeon and then fatigue would creep in. I own both P3fes and P3P (I picked the trigger on buying those after I discoveredand got really, really into P4), but I can't decide between the two.

Is P3P fem route better than Fes male route? Too bad there's no FesFem route.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Earnestly posted:

Is P3P fem route better than Fes male route? Too bad there's no FesFem route.

Most of the social links are significantly less annoying and some of them have some nice depth. I liked it a lot better than FES's male route, but FES has much better presentation.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Yeah, I'm feeling that. I hear that fem route has better social link writing, but I'm worried the overall peppiness might hurt the tone of the main story for me. Also, and more importantly, controlling the other party members might break the game in terms of difficulty. How much does the maniac difficulty suck in p3p? Because if it's manageable, then that's my choice.

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008
The characters do still have AI options in P3P, it's just that one of them is manual control. If you're worried about that you don't have to use the manual option.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Earnestly posted:

Yeah, I'm feeling that. I hear that fem route has better social link writing, but I'm worried the overall peppiness might hurt the tone of the main story for me. Also, and more importantly, controlling the other party members might break the game in terms of difficulty. How much does the maniac difficulty suck in p3p? Because if it's manageable, then that's my choice.
Maniac in P3P is basically Hard except you can't carry over anything from a Clear Save (so effectively no NG+). Aside from that, shop/Compendium prices might be inflated further, but I'm not certain about that. In effect, it's actually somewhat easier than FES Hard AFAIK, due to an overhaul in EXP and Yen drops from enemies (which affects all difficulties), and the (at that point new) Skill Card system, which allowed you to get cards that allowed you to put any skill on anything (with the exception of a few "exclusive" skills like Thunder Reign, Phanta Rhei, etc). Also, Fusion Spells are items now, which makes some better (like Cadenza, which is now useful more than 15 minutes into the game) and some worse (Armageddon is now a one-shot Fusion Spell unless you spend literally a dozen hours grinding for gems).

Yakumo posted:

The characters do still have AI options in P3P, it's just that one of them is manual control. If you're worried about that you don't have to use the manual option.
Party AI is much worse in P3P; it uses P4's AI system, which was unfortunately not simply P3's AI with a manual option; party members forget how to use buffs and debuffs, for example. If you're playing on P3P, you want to be playing on Manual control.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Alright, so today is a Full Moon. I guess this is gonna be a long one...

An Unpleasant Premonition

Better than ever.
Wow, you're amazing!
We're going to have a quick meeting tonight about the operation.
So, please return to the dorm immediately after school.

> You should return to the dorm and prepare yourself.

Unlike last time, we don't get a chance today to spend time on anything more low-key and relaxing beforehand.

Dark Hour Scouting

The Voice Someone Calls

...Just a moment...
I found it! I sense a strong presence!
Hey, we were right!
Or so it would seem.
It's located in Iwatodai... inside a building on Shirakawa Boulevard.
Hmm, Shirakawa Boulevard...

In pairs...
...Oh, I get it.

Lucia gets despawned at this point, since her job's done.

I've heard about it, but...
That's where all THOSE hotels are. That explains a lot!
You've heard about 'em, right Fuuka? Where people go to... you know...

The rooms are a bit fancier, that's all.
Aw man, that's it?
I don't know about this... Maybe I shouldn't go...
You're just like a little kid, Yuka-tan...
Wh-Whatever!
Fine. Let's go.

I think given the context, you might wanna pick better words...

So, who's gonna take the lead?
I don't see any reason to change leaders now.
And Yamagishi, I want you to handle support during the operation.
I'll do my best!
Alright, then I'll let you decide on the rest of the team. Let's do this.

End

Alright, now we get to pick our team for the operation for the first time. Yukari's forced herself into the party right out the gate, though...

And, like promised, she can't be removed. At least we can still change her gear now and give her that a Thunder Charm.

But, please be careful.

As you'd expect, of course, Ikutsuki's just here for like moral support. Which is fine, really.

Anyway, Akihiko gets to go back on the bench for tonight. He's sort of used to it, but he's not got an injury to blame this time!

But there's no time to dwell on that. Let's begin the operation!

A Deep Mentality

And we're just, like, immediately teleported to the first floor of the hotel. Sure, okay. Definitely can't complain about that.

We can find Room 101 immediately, but alas we can't put anything in there. It's also the only room on the first floor...

But, well, we can't go in any room really. There's nothing at all on the second floor, and the third floor is mostly empty as well.

The very visibly striking Hierophant's Chamber, between the chimes and the curtains and the golden door, is the only thing of note at all right now. So, we'll head on in, then...

That Which Comes From The Darkness

As the Fool continues his journey, he is over time exposed to beliefs and cultural traditions. Throughout his education, he meets the Hierophant - the wisened Papal figure who understands the knowledge and mysteries and can interpret them accordingly.

Well, let's get this over with!

V. Arcana Hierophant
no portable video of this fight right now for, uh, reasons. its definitely not because i cant be arsed right now, honest

Master of Shadow

A clear religious figure, wearing clerical vestements, the Arcana Hierophant is the representation of the Reversed Hierophant. The misuse of knowledge and religion to trick people and gain followers...

...In this case, representations of those ill-gotten followers are just part of his design. The stick-figure creatures are this representation and are not separate targets.

Anyway, uh, the Hierophant is definitely the hardest of the Full Moon fights we've had to contend with so far. A very high bar to cross, I'm sure. He's not exactly the most varied of folks to deal with, though.

He really likes Zionga, of course, but he can't kill anyone with a single use of it. Even Yukari survives (albeit only just), though that's not really a good situation to be in.

Oh, and he can just pelt everyone with Elec for good measure.

Yukari being forced in, and so kind of a liability here, is why I grabbed a Thunder Charm for her, yes.

He's very reminiscent of the Priestess, appropriately enough, in that his only real resistance is that he repels Elec. Not like this is something that's going to come up with this party but hey.

When it's a safe prospect, he'll use those cardboard cutout dudes to make basic Strike attacks. This is usually on a One More for, well, sensible reasons and so he can capitalise on someone (Yukari) being downed.

In that situation, it does real damage and is a bit of a nuisance but not really a real threat. It's not like it comes up much after all.

If he's not doing that, he can do whatever but he mainly ues Prophecy of Ruin.

An appropriately titled skill with a pretty simple, but effective, animation that...

Well, it's multi-target Fear. Much like when the Empress tried Fear, it's not because he can capitalise on it in a nasty way.

...But it's multi-target and Luck is his best stat, so it can just shut-down your entire party entirely at random and thats just plain obnoxious. Especially when you remember that you take more damage AND are more likely to be critted.

If there are any buffs in play, at all, he can also just use Dekaja. It's not super-common with just the one but it becomes more and more likely the more there are.

He can also use Sukunda, and uh... that's it as far as debuffs go. Weird choice, really.

Finally, he can be a gigantic rudeboy and just use Swift Strike.

...Which since he only ever did it to me while Fear was in play, means that its a massive ol' death sentence rather than a very mean move. Even though he only has 14 Strength.

Anyway, the strategy for this guy is dead simple. Auto-Tarukaja means we have a damage boost on Makoto out the gate. Rakunda gives that to everyone and boosts Makoto's damage further. Notable skill Getsu-Ei, which already has 120 base power, is kinda really good this early for obvious reasons I would hope.

But between the Tarukaja and Rakunda it averages 200dmg a hit (presuming its 10% base crit rate doesn't happen). The Hierophant has 1500HP, so this adds up quickly. The other 3 can add a little over 200 if they all attack, so it doesn't take too long.

...Especially if someone manages to slip in a lucky crit since an AoA adds another ~350 damage easy.

So, the Hierophant still isn't exactly super-difficult but he can be a bit rude. His stats aren't super great at 14 Strength, 16 Magic, 16 Endurance, 15 Agility and 18 Luck but at least he's not super-boring unlike the rest of the Full Moon Shadows up 'til now.

But he still gives an Absurd Amount of EXP, and thanks to Fuuka getting a new skill, we CAN now see if buffs/debuffs are active and what they are. It's a default feature in later games (including Portable) but it's not a big deal really.

End

A Deep Mentality

You succeeded once again.
I'll be waiting outside for you.

Kinda weird that it didn't just cutscene us out of the building after the fight, but whatever. We can just walk out ourselves, I guess.

> A strong force seems to be holding it shut.

It's not the same one you defeated!
But... Where is it hiding?

Well, let's take a look around I guess. I feel like another Shadow would be very apparent, but whatever.

Time to look around the room a bit, to see what stands out. The bed was pretty obvious as a focal point, but the Hierophant was there so the other Shadow couldn't really be.

So, I guess we'll just go around clockwise then. There's not much over here though.

...Not here. But I would argue that having giant windows that let you see into the bathroom is itself pretty unusual!

This isn't remotely unusual, though. We are in the Dark Hour after all.

And the Shadow isn't hiding in the crapper. Well, that just leaves one thing...

Hm?
Is it just me, or is there something strange about this mirror?

Well, it doesn't seem to reflect us...

Oh and there was a screenflash so I'm going with "yes?"

Under A Loving Moon

Silence

Welp, we're back in the land of animated cutscenes...

...for a shower scene. Great. I'm sure this is what everyone wanted.

And, yeah, this is pretty much the entire reason Yukari gets forced into the party for this one. It's really dumb.

Thankfully, it's short.

The Voice Someone Calls

> You hear the shower running in the bathroom...

> You don't remember why you are here...

(Where was I?)

> It feels like you had something important to do...

> A strange voice rings inside your head...

Something about this sure doesn't seem like Orpheus...

Voice: Enjoy the moment... That which cannot be felt is merely a dream... The present is all we have.

(That's not true...)

Voice: The future is but a fantasy, memory a fabrication...

(I can't give in...)

Voice: Pleasure is what you truly want. You stand before the doorway to bliss. You cannot deny you instincts... Embrace your desire...

(Now's not the time...)

> You have regained control of your thoughts...

> The shower in the bathroom has been turned off.

*gasp*

Glad to see that Yukari's back to normal as well. Though, uh, it really could've been in a better circumstance.

Can you two hear me?
What's going on?
I'm sorry I couldn't contact you sooner...
The Shadow was interfering with your thoughts...
And you all got seperated...
The enemy is still in the same room. Please regroup and hurry there.
...Did you hear that, Yukari?
...Uh, sorry... Yeah... I heard you.
Um... Did something happen?
No! Nothing!

If you tell anyone... I won't ever speak to you again.

End

A Deep Mentality

Its power is blanketing the whole building.
I'm pretty sure it's in that one room you were in before...
But, it somehow sealed the door, so I don't think you'll be able to get in.
I'll try to find out if there's a way to break the seal...
Please join the others. They're on the floor above you.

We do get control back here, but there's nothing else that happens when we only have the pair so...

I didn't know there was another Shadow...
Anyway, you okay?
How about you guys?
W-We're fine! Nothing happened!

They're giving off the same energy as the Shadow!
Maybe the seal will vanish if you break the mirrors...
I remember this one mirror we saw on the 3rd floor was different from the others...
When I stood in front of it, I felt kinda strange...

Alright, so we just need to go around and break mirrors, huh?

Well, there isn't one in the room on the first floor so we'll start with Room 201 I guess. It's right there and all.

Naturally, there's a mirror right in here so we'll just give this a bit of a break.

It just... cracks, like immediately. A bit disappointing, but whatever.

But then we get this and shunted back downstairs.

So, it's not actually ALL mirrors. We can still break wrong mirrors, get sent back here and Fuuka'll give us more hints to it. But, really, it's not that difficult.

So, we'll go back to the second floor and try to find a mirror we are meant to break this time around.

But, hey, there's smaller Shadows hanging around now that we beat the Hierophant.

...Unfortunately, they're all massively outdated at this point.

Well, the mirror in Room 205 sure looks different. It's yellow and doesn't have our reflection in it. Mainly it's the creepy yellow that gives it away though.

That and the black gunk it oozes once broken. Can't say that helps either.

There's only one mirror to break on the 2nd and 3rd floors. The one up on 3rd is in Room 304...

And with that, we can head on back to the Hierophant's Chamber. Nice and easy.

That Which Comes From The Darkness

As the Fool matures along his journey, he comes across two new challenges different to that which he has faced in the past. His natural maturity leads to a powerful urge for sex with another. He realises that he desires a relationship... his journey leads him to attempt to become one of a pair of Lovers.

Naturally, then, the Lovers card mostly primarily represents love and relationships. It also more generally can be attraction in all forms; a representation that something will cross your path. Whether it be a person, a new idea, a life-changing event...

I had to come to this disgusting place! Now. you're gonna pay!

VI. Arcana Lovers
you probably cottoned onto why i skipped the portable versions of these by now, but since we'll CLEARLY be spending more time at this event in the future, it just made more sense to stagger 'em for once.

Master of Shadow

At first glance, the Lovers seems to be a pretty overly literal representation of their Arcana. But, remember the pattern; they have to be the Reversed Lovers. They already tipped a forced pairing with their antics seperating people before...

And looking at them clearer, it's easy to see why they split the way they did. They have no strong basis for their choices and instead focuses on the biological sex and nothing more. There is no true union to make a complete whole.

It's not super-apparent in most angles, but you can clearly see that inside their heart-shaped cage-like body, they contain the astronomical symbols for Mars and Venus. These are traditionally used to represent men and women, respectively. That's how you can tell that they made their choices on the most spurious of reasoning.

Anyway, how are the Lovers in a fight? Well, resistance-wise you can see that they're very boring and have no apparent strengths or weaknesses.

...In terms of actual attacks, the have Maragion of all things. It's kinda clever if you think about it, and it would disincentive using Mitsuru (since this is one you CAN avoid) if it happened with any degree of frequency.

As you would expect, their main assault is primarily ailment based. Pulinpa's not really the first one that comes to mind though, huh? Lovers have 19 Luck so it's not too bad an idea in theory.

...Life Drain is a weird-rear end move for them to use. It deals 35 damage and heals them for the same amount. It's just so rare, it happened once in half an hour of trying to get them to use all of their skills.

Oh, and they do also have Spirit Drain but that didn't happen at all and is even more irrelevant from their perspective.

This is a bit more like it, though! They can use Holy Arrow to be clever. Pierce damage AND Charm wrapped up in one.

The damage isn't a big deal, but the Charm is a major problem. Obviously.

It's a bigger problem in this fight in particular than most others, though. Especially because the AI has a dumb secret.

Yukari has Charmdi. She also has a few Dis-Charms in her personal inventory. The AI when told to heal prioritises HP over everything else. It does this in some weird nonsense situations as well.

Like this one. It seems "reasonable" since Makoto is at about half-HP but Yukari is casting Dia here on Junpei.

Yes. Really. If someone gets Charmed, its better to have Makoto heal it, even though that's a giant waste. If Makoto gets Charmed, then better hope Yukari is feeling co-operative to heal it otherwise that's effectively just a straight up game over.

Why?

Because Lovers has a nasty Almighty skill called Heartbreaker.

It's pretty hard-hitting across the board regardless, but it deals 150% damage to anyone Charmed. It doesn't get used all the time, of course, but its very frequent.

Oh and naturally Lovers also have Marin Karin just for extra odds at proccing Charm.

Really, though, losing this fight is some really bad luck and nothing else. We'll deal with it the same way we dealt with the Hierophant but with the added bonus of Lovers not having Dekaja. They have 1500HP, 15 Strength, 16 Magic, 17 Endurance, 15 Agility and 19 Luck for quick reference.

The Voice Someone Calls

Thanks for your help. The enemy was sly, but you did well.
I did what I could.
And you too, for withstanding the enemy's mental assault.
Alright, let's call it a night.

About that thing you mentioned the other day...

Fuuka nods.

Cool, tell me later.
Alright! We should head back, too.

I didn't do much, really.
Yeah, whatever...
Who cares, anyway...?

I'm gonna guess you do right now, since you brought it up?

Hey, why do you have to be like that? Don't tell me you're jealous.

Shut up!
What's up HIS butt?

Silence

> It seems like the trust between you all has grown...

> You learned a new tactic!

Pretty much exactly what it sounds like, really. Just focus exclusively on blitzing something down, though it doesn't really focus on anything other than direct damage. Includng knock downs, even. There is a bit more of a focus on buffing than Assign Target, though.

But, wait, what's this?

That was quite a show.

Their fighting style is positively fascinating...
And it seems they've gained new recruits, too.

Yes... That's an excellent idea.
Considering that he shares our fate, it would be prudent to seek his opinion.

> You expect that there will be fewer victims for a while.

> But, you are too exhausted to think about it now.

> You decide to rest as soon as you get back to the dorm...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So now seems like a good time to link this from the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbNOPjD1jEI

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Huh. I've played through that fight a bunch and never seen the Heartbreaker attack. I guess I've done enough of it on NG+ that I've been strong enough to blitz the thing before it can use that move a lot of the time, though.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

A Deep Mentality is actually one of my favorite songs in this game.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
What happens if you don't bring Mitsuru? They seemed to imply the other two got lovers brainwashed as well, but it doesn't seem like it would pair up two guys.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Taciturn Tactician posted:

What happens if you don't bring Mitsuru? They seemed to imply the other two got lovers brainwashed as well, but it doesn't seem like it would pair up two guys.

It does, and it's the route the manga uses:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Petiso posted:

It does, and it's the route the manga uses:

Man, Junpei gets bullied a lot in adaptations of this scene, huh?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Junpei comes off significantly worse in non Female-MC versions of this game, so I'm guessing it was seen more as 'comeuppance'.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Poor, poor Stupei...

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Since we just had full moon antics, we're auto-tired which we're going to put to use today. And not for the normal reason we used to either.

Want To Be Close (Reincarnation) / Time

Listening: Sounds cool to me! I wanna go to the sea, the mountains, everywhere! But, before that... we've got finals starting on Tuesday.
Gossiping: Ugh, I'd forgotten about that. But that means a break is after the exams! And summer vacation is just around the corner!

> The first bell has rung.

Ah, right. Exams are coming up very soon now. Hmm. This is going to present a problem twice over - schedule issues, yes, but also we're gonna get a lot of classroom scenes this week. Eep.

Well, maybe "pain" wasn't the word I'm looking for. English phrases are pretty tricky...
Now, let's talk about comma splices. I'm sure you've heard all about them before, but to review: a comma splice is when two independent clauses are joined by a comma, wuth no conjunction.
Okay, Makoto! Here's a question for you... Dun dun dunnn!
Which of these phrases is incorrect?

It's basic English grammar and even if you're not super great at something that you've never really thought about before, context makes it VERY obvious at least. Hurray!

"I failed, It's over now."
Whoa! I didn't think you'd get it! Good for you!
That's a comma splice. Got it? If no one has any questions, let's move on.

It's important to remember at this point that answering these correctly gives Charm points. That we, uh, don't need any more. Still gonna be getting them right because it's more useful to do so, overall.

...Or maybe we could just skip these scenes wholesale from now on, but that has some issues. Namely with how they help with exams which do matter still. Doing well on your exams IS important.

I am now your mother, apparently.

Anyway, we'll deal with that in the future. For now, we can see immediately that we need to reschedule stuff... is what I'd say if this wasn't a Wednesday. Kaz isn't around then. Whoops.

But, yeah, week before exams so we can't do school S.Links anyway. So, first we're off to the Nurse's office to do a thing.

Or, rather, to NOT do a thing. We have to be Tired (or Sick!) to not just get kicked out of the office immediately. If we are Tired/Sick, we get this option like normal and drinking Edogawa's hosed up experiment shuts us out for the day and means we can't do what we want until we come back when we're Tired/Sick again in the future.

In short (too late), we're not drinking anything.

That normally quiet mouse went squeaking out of here with energy!
I'm not sure it's safe to drink, but here, take this. It's some old medicine I found lying around.

Well, this is actively definitely harmful rather than just a terrible idea. What the gently caress, Edogawa?

...The only mercy here is that no one is going to be taking this medicine anyway.

Decided to try the bathroom now to see if we'd luck out and get a status upgrade out of it. Now we can study tonight as well as do... whatever else we'll be doing.

And, from what I can tell, he has no personality.

Oh, and this little sidestory has updated too. We're no longer on the roof and I guess "he is a dickhead who throws rocks at birds" and "picks his nose when he thinks someone isn't looking" is all we know about the other guy.

I don't even realize she's around anymore.

Meanwhile, he's... well, he's definitely incredibly weird and probably not all that healthy either. It's really hosed that Edogawa is the school nurse, because clearly someone competent is necessary around here.

The Poem for Everyone's Souls

It definitely would be, yeah. Old Medicine is really absurdly bad.

May I try some...?
Oh...! The way it feels going down my throat...
What an amazing concoction... I feel as though it could almost kill a man... This is very impressive medicine.
Please accept your reward.

At least our reward for giving Liz objectively terrible medicine is some rad medicine. Cures all ailments across the entire party. Possibly handy!

My favourite dumb thing about this, by the by, is that the Megaten Wiki in its infinite dumbness seems to think these don't even exist. Yeah, I dunno.

Anyway, it's interesting (to me) to note that we have access already to the next set of sidequests. Normally we don't get these until Liz gives us a call about Tartarus.

Anyway, let's talk about some of these for a sec. We're gonna feed a cat! We're gonna feed the heck out of a cat! This is a bit more involved than it sounds, though...

This one we can't do yet, because it requires a minimum level of 27 to do. Yes, really. But it's also the next one in a quest line so it was only unlocked by giving Elizabeth the awful medicine.

And this one is... simple but interesting. It gives us a Bus Stop Sign which has a new icon we've never seen before on it. It's clearly a gag weapon, but it's... an axe...? We don't have any party members who can use axes... I guess Makoto's unique weapon type, along with his versatility, is an axe. That's kinda rad and also I wanna beat stuff up with a bus stop sign.

So we WILL be going back to Gekkoukan to get some music in a moment, but first we have to buy some cat food. The pharmacy sells very fancy cat food purely for this one quest, which is cute and cool. We're buying 4 cans or whatever they are.

So, we want music from the school. Music room is a tempting idea for obvious reasons, but that's used for a club so that doesn't work here. Instead, we're going to the PA Room up on the 2nd floor (next to the Student Council).

> You hear bizarre music playing inside.

Male Student's Voice: ..."Gekkoukan Boogie"? Why does the school have music like this...? ...Must be a teacher's theme song or something. ...Crazy. *chuckle*

Well, that's an interesting idea but I think this'll do the trick quite nicely.

Male Student: Huh? This music? I have no idea what it's for, but it says "Gekkoukan Boogie" on it. Huh? You want it? ...Are you serious!? Sure, you can have it. We don't have any use for it, anyway... Here... Now, get out of here, before you get me in trouble.

Alright, so before we take this back to Elizabeth, we're going to head to the Port Island Station for a moment because there's been a bit of a change there lately.

When The Moon's Reaching Out Stars / Way of Life

Until relatively recently, there was a barrier on the left-hand side that shut us out from the cafe area. And more importantly, those stairs in the corner.

They let us get to a place that we've seen a couple of times before now, at last. More importantly, there's a cat hanging out here.

> He seems to be very weak. Maybe he's hungry...

We're gonna be giving 'em some top-tier Super Cat Food!

> The cat slowly started to eat.

Weak cat: Meow... Meowww...

> The cat is purring loudly. It seems happy.

That we can and DEFINITELY will do. Can only feed the cat once a day, so we're done here for now.

Which means we go back to Elizabeth!

...Do they play this often in your school?
Oh... The lyrics are included inside...

...Um, I'll listen to this later.
About the reward... I have prepared something different for you this time.
A simple, yet sturdy metal frame, with small lettering on the placard... I believe it's called a Bus Stop Sign.
I've heard that in your world, they can be found all over the place. I'd like to see some of these signs In their natural environment someday...

Alright, NOW we're done with Liz for the time being.

So, the Bus Stop Sign can only be used by Makoto and it's the latest "joke" weapon naturally. That means it's top-tier for the time being and is most likely going to be glued to Makoto for a long while yet.

But for the here and now, uh, we can't do school S.Links so I guess we're off back to the bookstore for a while.

Joy

There are two k's...
I know, I know!
I just forgot to write the second one.
I feel bad for Makoto-chan and all the people who've been campaigning to save the tree...

I'm writing a letter--something I haven't done in ages. But, I can't remember how to spell half these words!
Am I finally losing it? I used to have an amazing vocabulary.
What's it about?
Sorry, can't let you see it. Top secret.

I'll tell you when the time comes, Minato-chan.
Well, aren't you curious?
I can't wait another minute.
...We feel the same way.
Everyday, we just can't wait to see you!
Lately, I even feel smarter! Maybe I should go back to school...
Just kidding.

> It seems Bunkichi and Mitsuko are counting on you.

> Your relationship is stronger now!

Well, uh, the next time probably won't be several months from now so that's reasonable!

> After saying goodbye to Bunkichi and Mitsuko, you decided to go back to the dorm.

Iwatodai Dorm

About what?
Oh, um, there's something I have to clear up.
Everyone must be tired after the mission...
Please get a good night's rest...

So, I guess this is about that secret thing that Yukari asked Mitsuru to look into before. I really wanna know what that was...

Tch... whatever...

But, well, first we have everyone else to talk to. Junpei is acting really pissy right now. Joy...

Just take it easy for now.

Sorry, Akihiko we can go to Tartarus tomorrow, but we won't be.

Mysterious vandalism has occurred at the hotel Champs de Fleurs. Mirrors in the hotel rooms were shattered. Though the hotel had many guests, none of them saw the culprit. Some guests have also reported theft in their rooms. Police are currently investigating the incident.

Depending on who looks into it, they might already know the answer but be unable to do anything about it.

I wanted to say something earlier, but I didn't want everyone else to hear.
So, sorry...

Oh, I heard you did a great job last night, Makoto-kun!
Keep it up!

The girls are upstairs and man, Fuuka, you are REALLY bad at this.

Like Akihiko said, Mitsuru's not around right now so all that remains to do something. Since it's a Wednesday, that means we go to the Arcade to play Who Wants To Be A Millionaire or something.

And since we got lucky with the bathroom, that means we can double-down on our Academics gain today and get 6 points. Which is not even really all that close to enough for a level.

But +6 is something we can only potentially do two days a week, so who knows when we'll hit the next rank right now.

Listening: It's because the building wasn't built that long ago, so everything is still gleaming. You know, I heard from my parents there was an explosion here 10 years ago. They replaced the building after that, but... There's more to it, too. Around that time, a lot of students stopped coming to school. Maybe that's why they put up the new building... To start with a clean slate...
Gossiping: An explosion!? Did someone screw up in chem lab or something? That must have been a dangerous lecture...

In 794, the Heian-Kyo was established. In 894, they abolished imperial embassies to China...
I might put this section on the exam next week... I'm feeling lazy.
Anyways, on to feudalism. Listen carefully, because this has to do with the origins of the samurai.
I choose... you, Makoto! Let's see if you know.
What law served as a foundation for the development of feudalism?

I, uh... I genuinely have no idea. So, I'm just gonna guess. :v:

The Konden Einen Shizaihou.
Good, you remembered. It's got a very long name, doesn't it?

The farmers got lazy. Not that that's unusual for any era... But that's all for the Heian period.

So, now that we're done with school stuff for the day we need to do the most important thing.

Gotta feed the cat some more. It's still not done but it's slowly getting there day by day.

Now that we've got the most important thing done, let's go be friendly to the elderly again.

Which isn't for the last time. We need a lot more points than the previous scene could give... so much so that this didn't push us to the threshold either! I do believe that's the first time spending time as a non-event hasn't been sufficient for a rank up.

Oh and NOW Elizabeth lets us know we can climb higher in Tartarus. We already had the sidequests available though, so okay I guess.

Iwatodai Dorm

They are employing more dangerous attacks, as well...
So even though we have a lot of time until the next full moon, we had best use that time wisely.

I agree. I am definitely going to invest my time very wisely.

Well, what time of it I can anyway. Exams do steal a week automatically which kinda sucks.

But, there are exams next week, so you should focus on them.

So, we won't heal or support...
You'll have to do that, Makoto.
Do your part.

Natto has become surprisingly popular overseas. Called "Miracle Beans" in foreign countries, they sell five times what they do in Japan. A well-known natto producer said, "Good thing I kept making it!"

Natto sucks and is hella gross, sorry. You can disagree if you like, I won't stop you, but you're wrong.

But, it's not good if everyone is out of step because they're all trying too hard...

The girls are up on the... third floor. Huh. I think this is the first time we've stopped on this one.

She would probably do just about anything to annihilate the Shadows.
But, don't you think that's a little obsessive?
Yeah, maybe.
There are a lot of old sayings about maintaining balance in your life...
They also warn against being too obsessive.

Alright, so now that we're done at the dorm we need to figure out what we're gonna be doing tonight. Hmm, let's see it's not a quiz night so we're not off to the Arcade...

Tanaka isn't around on Thursdays...

Wait, Thursday? I've got it!

Mutatsu, my other old friend!

This Mysterious Feeling

Hey, don't get me wrong, kid. It's not like I was lookin' forward to seein' ya or anything.

Gotta admit, I wasn't expecting the chain-smoking, drunk old monk to the be The Tsundere and yet.

What's the deal with your hair, kid?
Is that what's in style nowadays? Doesn't it get in your eyes?
...My son kept his hair long too.
You should cut it. No, better yet, shave it all off... smooth like me.
Yeah, that might look cool.
Hmph, you don't get it, kid.

I'm not talkin' about fashion here; I'm sayin' you'd be better off without your hair.
Oh, sure, you're young and good-lookin' now, but just wait...
I mean, look at me. I'm old and ugly... My cheeks sag like a drat bulldog's.
...That's life, kid. People get old. Someday you'll be just like me...
You'll look in the mirror and think...
drat, I was handsome back in the day...
Here's a little trick so you don't lose hope in the future.

You're gonna lose your hair eventually, kid, so why bother with it now?
Bald is beautiful. You just wake up in the mornin' and go. No fuss.
I can even give you money for the shave.

> You saw through Mutatsu's harsh words and felt his kindness.

> You understand Mutatsu better now.

Well, ya can't sleep here, kid. Go home.

> You decided to go back to the dorm.

Reminder that we're still about like 8 levels out from the first Tower persona. That seems really close, but it's still likely gonna be a bit of work to get there at the moment.

And we're gonna keep on gettin' that free Academics boost because it's right here after all.

Awkwardly, we don't even start exams until Tuesday. That might be useful though, thinking about it...

I plan on using the word "magic" in a very general sense.
But today, we'll talk about the single most magical place and time.
Today's topic is the magic of medieval Europe.
There are a lot of materials pertaining to western magic, from books to folklore.
We'll cover all of it, including the changes it's gone through.
As I mentioned last time, European magic has its origins in paganism.

Some well-known examples are...
Kabbalah, the study of the mystical aspects of Jewish texts.
Gnosticism, a Christian sect founded by Simon Magus, the Sorcerer.
Greece's philosophy and natural sciences were the fruits of magical researchers...
The same was true of Islam's scientific advances, which surpassed Europe's at the time. Now, as for the circumstances of magic in this age...

Magicians bravely reached up for a connection with the gods...
Are you all awake? You're not daydreaming, right? Eeeheehee.
A little test, to see if you were listening... Get it wrong, and you'll get a scary guardian angel. Sebna uru quah...
Who should I choose...? All right, Makoto, I ask thee.
What is the mystical study of Jewish texts?
Kabbalah.
Very good. The magicians of the age achieved great things...
Particularly the famous "grimoires." Grimoires are collections of a wide range of magical texts, and...

Okay, in all seriousness here: the stuff Edogawa "teaches" is kinda genuinely interesting. Or, rather, it would be if it wasn't in one-sentence long text boxes that kinda go fairly slowly. And also if it wasn't just eyerolling and weird to have Edogawa be so consistently bad at his job.

Gotta feed the cat some more. He's slowly getting better thanks to the power of Expensive And Fancy Food. Awesome

We could spend the day at the bookstore, but right now that's kind of a waste. We know we won't rank up yet and we'll get better timing to go back there later on. So, what to do...

We haven't really spent time with Maiko since we gave her some takoyaki and cola.

I was waiting for you! Let's play!
Okay.

Joy

It's up to you, kay? Your choice!
Jungle gym.
Oh boy! I'm gonna climb way up high, okay?

But, I don't wanna go home yet.
...I don't like it there.

> Maiko seems sad.

Can't we stay together for a little longer?

> Maiko seems to enjoy hanging out.

> You got to know Maiko, the grade-schooler.

The Power of the Heart

> A mysterious voice rings in your head...

Troubled

...they fight a lot.
They're going to get a divorce, huh?
I tell them I want us to be happy, but they don't listen.
They probably hate me, too.
...Hey, we can play again later, right? I think we're friends now.
I have cram school on Sunday, but I'm free the rest of the days.

> You decide to go back to the dorm.

Man that's... pretty much the kinda thing I would expect from a small child's S.Link really. At least if it's a consistent through-line and not dropped after like rank 3 I mean.

Iwatodai Dorm

...I better go study, since exams are coming up.

So, Junpei is actively avoiding us. That's... not really a good sign, huh?

A miraculous flower which only grows once every 100 years has bloomed. It seems to be responding to the other strange events in town.

I do like the implication that this isn't a year it was supposed to happen. It takes almost a month for the Dark Hour to amount to 1 day of time, though, so that can't very quickly or easily cause that kinda discrepency.

Oh and Junpei is the only person with something new to say today. And it's new because it's nothing. Thanks, Junpei.

And with today being a Friday, that means we can go hang out with Mutatsu again.

Although we're still at the stage where no matter what, we'd need a scene-free time to get a rank up. Mutatsu is a bit awkward but he's a night link so it's fine since we don't really have much to do at night.

Academics are still a thing, and still aren't Rank 4 which is kinda amazing. You'd think it would be by now.

I reckon we've got enough time for one more day.

Uh, exams are pretty soon... Have you been studyin'?
Yeah.
...Seriously? Like I care...

It all began from infighting among the Taira clan. Their conflict escalated until the Imperial Court intervened.
Masakado was pursued by the Imperial Court, and had no choice but to openly oppose them... The result was known as the War of Masakado.
Makoto... You don't look anything like a samurai, but let's see if you know this one.
What title did Taira No Masakado claim for himself?
Imperial Prince.
Correct! This will be on the exam next week, so be prepared!
Let's skip forward a little to the Kamakura era! At last! The samurai's presence begins to be felt in history!

And of course, its founder was Minamoto no Yoritomo. I can't believe we're finally here!

Masakado was born in 903 and died in 940. So, uh, we skipped forward "a little" alright. Almost 300 years is only a footnote, right?

> It's from Akihiko.

> "He has something to tell us."

> "We'll meet on the 4th floor as soon as everyone is back."

So, I guess we'll have a small plot scene this evening. Alright, sure. But first!

> The cat is purring loudly. It seems happy.

> The cat seems to have regained all its energy by eating the cat food.

> It seems you won't need to come and feed it anymore.

I'm glad that the cat is healthy again, but man it's a shame that now we just ignore it forever. It makes sense for Makoto specicially, sure, but it's still pretty awful!

Thank you very much. I can feel the relief in the depths of my heart.
I hope it prospers forever and ever...

Masukukaja in an item form. It's, uh, nice I guess? There's no request we can do right now that doesn't involve going to Tartarus in some way, so we'll get around to that at some point I guess.

...Well, there's Vetala which I might be able to finagle a way to get but it's definitely easier when I have funds to use again.

And, sure, Maiko's gonna be our main pre-exam week S.Link now. Makes sense to me!

Joy

Sure, let's go.
Yay! I can't wait! I wonder which toy they're giving out today...

> You decide to take a trip to Wild-duck Burger.

...'Cause Mom and Dad never argue when we go out to eat.
They never used to argue! You have to believe me...
But, why would they get a divorce?
Why don't you ask them?
I asked 'em already and they said it was a matter for adults only.

> Maiko is about to start crying.

I don't want them to get a divorce!
...Do they really hate me that much?
Divorce is dumb! I hate it!

> Maiko is sobbing loudly.

*sniff* I'm sorry... I know it's embarrassing when I cry...
I'll try not to cry anymore.

> Maiko is trying her best to smile.

Thanks for playing with me today.

> You returned to the dorm after walking Maiko home.

From The Shadows

Troubled

It was a difficult operation.
I see. They're getting tougher...
But, it's not all bad news. I called today's meeting because--

Before we go on, I'd like to ask Mitsuru-senpai something.
Me...?
Since I joined, so many things have happened...
I went along with it, without really understanding what was going on... But now, I need to know.
I'm gonna ask you straight out...
You've been hiding something from us, haven't you, Senpai?
You act like you don't know anything about the Dark Hour and Tartarus...

What accident...?

Fearful Experience

There was an explosion near our school, and a lot of people died... It must've been big news back then. You know about it, don't you?
...Yes.
Luckily, no students were injured. But around the same time, a large number of students were recorded as absent.
...Seems like more than just a coincidence.
What do you mean?
I dug up some old school records, and found something interesting.

Sound familiar?
You know, like the girls who bullied Fuuka...
There has to be an explanation! What really happened on the day of that accident?
The Kirijo Group built our school, so you must know something! Tell me the truth!

It, uh, seems like it's been relevant from before the start?

But...
...It's okay. It's not your fault.
...Alright. I'll tell you the whole story...
The Shadows have many mysterious abilities.

We think of them as our enemies, but what if we could somehow use them to our advantage? They would be a source of unimaginable power, wouldn't they?
What...?
Fourteen years ago, one man pursued that line of thinking...

My grandfather.

Silence

Suddenly, we're in the anime-zone...?

My grandfather was obsessed with Shadows. He wanted to harness their power, and create something extraordinary.

Harness their power?

He assembled a team of scientists, and over several years collected a significant number of Shadows.

He what!?

drat, that's freaking crazy!
However...

Ten years ago, during the final stages of the experiment, they lost control of the Shadows' power. Consequently, the nature of the world was altered.
You mean...

Yes... Tartarus and the Dark Hour...

*gasp*
*gasp*

Fearful Experience

These are the Shadows we've been encountering on nights when the moon is full.
Is that why they've appeared in different places?
Wait a minute... If what you said is true, then why did our school turn into Tartarus?
*gasp* ...Don't tell me...

...Yes.
Then... those students who were hospitalized...
I'm afraid it's just as you're thinking.
Port Island must have been an ideal location for them.

As you guessed, the experiment ten years ago was conducted at Gekkoukan High School.
Does that mean...
all we've been doing is cleaning up their mess!?

You knew too, didn't you, Senpai!?
They've just been using us!

That's not true.
I have my reasons...
Think what you'd like... It was my decision not to share that information.
...I'm sorry.
I never intended to deceive you.
Convincing you to join SEES was my highest priority.

How could you...!?

I...
Mitsuru... Don't.

Silence

Yukari... It's those in the past who are to blame.
And they lost their lives as a result of what they did...

But...
It's been ten years since that incident... No one knows why those Shadows suddenly returned.
But, since they're active, at least we can find and destroy them...
Do you realize what this means?

Troubled

Exactly!
That's what I was going to tell you earlier. See, it's good news, isn't it?
Is that true!?
There's evidence to support it.
Now, our true battle begins.
Regardless of what's happened in the past, we must fight to protect the people.

And there are many mysteries still surrounding Tartarus.
Why did such a gigantic structure appear in the first place? The answer must lie within it.

End

Iwatodai Dorm

It, uh, it always feels weird having a scene that seems like it's the end of the day but whoops we have a bit extra afterwards. It's kinda jarring in a way.

But, well, we can take advantage of this to ask Ikutski some stuff.

12 Shadows?

Its power was immense, far greater than any of the Shadows currently insude Tartarus.
Experiments were performed on it, and an unfortunate accident took place, dividing the entity into 12 Shadows.
These Shadows only appear during a full moon.
How did the public react?

...and the media placed full blame on the Kirijo Group for the tragedy.
They singled out one researcher in particular, declaring him the main culprit behind it all.
Whether this was actually true or not was not the issue...
The public was looking for someone to vent their hurt and anger on.
So they chose him, even though he was a victim himself.
Their wrath was unparalleled. The darker side of mankind was most certainly on display during that time.
About Mitsuru-senpai...

So, Mitsuru wasn't born with the ability to summon a Persona; she was forced to learn how.
About Akihiko-senpai...

In fact, Akihiko joined us when he was only in middle school.
At that time, we had a third member as well.
...But, I digress.

Whew, that was a lot more optional exposition than I expected.

No matter what happens, you can always protect yourself, right?
*sigh* You're always so confident... I wish I could be like that.
Junpei-kun...
The only thing anyone knows about Tartarus is that it creates Shadows...
Other than that, we're all in the dark...

Hm? Us?
Oh, since Junpei-kun doesn't understand what's going on, I'm going to review it with him.
But, if we defeat all 12 Shadows...
...then I won't have any more use for my Persona.
Man, it's such an amazing power... I can't let it go to waste...

Today's subject is a man in his 20s with a yellow cap.

...Next is news. Pain, pain, go away!

Today's guest is Masao "Mark" Inaba, who is in a group of 2 whole people! He was in the original Persona game, as a playable character during the SEBEC route, who does not appear in either Persona 2 game since he is busy being an artist in New York. Which is a bit of a shame since he can dance funky.

...Right, and uh you definitely know about this but in Revelations: Persona (the US release of the PS1 version), this is Mark:

Yes, this is real. And, yes, his dialogue was rewritten to be AAVE. Because obviously.

Anyway, Mark's primary arcana was the Chariot and his default Persona was Ogun. An interesting choice for a main character's default but hey.

I'm gonna mention this now because this is when I made the connection myself: the dates each episode of Who's Who has aired has been the relevant character's birthday. Go back and check if you want.

Meanwhile, in 2009, Yukari, Mitsuru and Akihiko have all shut themselves up in their rooms. That's why we can't Tartarus today and instead are off to study via the Arcade.

And, uh, actually studying. That helps too.

But it looks like we're not getting to Academics 4 before the exams, which is unfortunate but not really a bit deal in the end. Hopefully.

We could give it one last shot on Monday, sure, but that's definitely more of a "well if we have to" kinda thing. After all, that's a good time to go to Tartarus if we get the chance.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 8, 2018

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think the game probably should have had the "what the gently caress is going on here, you obviously know more than you're telling us" scene a while ago.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well it's because Yukari was taking the time to dig the information up. And Fuuka only joined last month, so it's not like she could have done it before.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

It was necessary for backstory, sure, but not so much for the "why the hell are we listening to you" questions.

I'd think there'd be some conflict over receiving orders after being conscripted, without any explanation beyond the basics, but maybe it's just me.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Mutatsu is the grumpiest. It's great. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You didn't think the origin of the Dark Hour was necessary information for people dealing with the Dark Hour? Especially when Itsuki knows that getting rid of these Twelve will fix things? :psyduck:

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Ikutski only figured that out recently, he says its why he called the meeting in the first place.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I thought the others didn't ask more questions because they were content with what they got. Akihiko gets to put his training to use fighting monsters, Junpei's in it to feel cool and special, Fuuka seems like she just wants to be out of her parents' grasp ASAP, and Makoto seems like he couldn't care less. I imagine Yukari's been stewing on this even before Makoto joined, and Fuuka getting pretty much press-ganged into joining was the last straw for her.

And if Yukari's calling Mitsuru out, I hope she also stops to call out Ikutsuki on this current plan about the Twelve. Ikutsuki told them he's got evidence this would work, but what sort of evidence are we talking about here? It's just weird that in a scene that's about us not getting all the information we needed in the first place that we also don't get the information we need.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

amigolupus posted:

I thought the others didn't ask more questions because they were content with what they got. Akihiko gets to put his training to use fighting monsters, Junpei's in it to feel cool and special, Fuuka seems like she just wants to be out of her parents' grasp ASAP, and Makoto seems like he couldn't care less. I imagine Yukari's been stewing on this even before Makoto joined, and Fuuka getting pretty much press-ganged into joining was the last straw for her.

And if Yukari's calling Mitsuru out, I hope she also stops to call out Ikutsuki on this current plan about the Twelve. Ikutsuki told them he's got evidence this would work, but what sort of evidence are we talking about here? It's just weird that in a scene that's about us not getting all the information we needed in the first place that we also don't get the information we need.

I think his main evidence is that after defeating the large shadows, there's a drop in the number of apathy syndrome cases. At least I'm pretty sure that was mentioned on the tv.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Welp, we're at our last two days of freedom before we run fullforce into a week of finals.

Sign o' the Times

Troubled

Hm...?
Hmph... Why're you here?
If you came here to try and convince me, then forget it.
...It's nothing like that.
I just wanted to see how you were doing.
Huh?

It's been almost 14 years since we met at the orphanage...

Back then, it seemed like we had all the time in the world.
Heh... You haven't changed one bit.
If you wanna get all sappy, go do it with your other friends.
...What was that!?
It's rare for you to think about the past. Usually, you just charge ahead like a drat fool.
So obviously, there's something on your mind.
I do reminisce sometimes... But, what's the point?

!
No poo poo?

Akihiko nods.

To be honest, all I've been thinking about lately is getting stronger.
But yesterday, someone made me question my reason for fighting...
Your reason for fighting, huh...

...I'm not like you.
...Man, I can't believe I'm the one getting lectured here.
Well, see ya around.

Meanwhile, somewhere else but presumably at roughly the exact same time...

...Can I talk to you for a moment?
Senpai...
Oh, please come in.

No, I didn't skip over anything there. Mitsuru just walks in, sits down and immediately cuts right to being midway through a thought.

Oh, I-I'm sorry for doing that without permission...
Don't worry, you're not in trouble. But, I do have a special favor to ask of you.
I want you to find out as much as you can about that incident ten years ago.
But, very little was made public...

You mean, hack into their system?
That's illegal.
I'll give you my ID and password. You'll be free from accountability.
I want to know the truth, in detail.

So, she's going to be using valid login credentials to normally log on and view the stuff that you could view on your own anyway...

Senpai...
Of course, I'll understand if you refuse.
Okay. I'll see what I can do.
Are you sure?
...I appreciate it.

After all, despite my good intentions, I did drag you into this without fully explaining.
Certainly, you must be a little angry with me...
Not really.

That... answers nothing. It's not even remotely relevant, even!

That's why they're so tough on me...
It's really hard for me to be at home...
But here, I feel important, and I can help you and the others...
So, why should I be angry?
You're right, Yamagishi. We do need you.
No one can take your place.
U-Um...
Thank you... I'll see you later.

Meanwhile, elsewhere again...

It's fairly close to where Akihiko went, though.

Tch!
That's good...
That's what we've been fighting for...
So, why am I so pissed!?

How nice of them to wear their uniform on a Sunday, so we could tell they were students even with the nameplate also telling us that. Really thoughtful of them, that.

Friend: Seriously. But, at least we're seniors now... We won't be wearing these stupid uniforms much longer.
Student: Yeah, I've had enough of this. I just wanna get accepted to college and start having some fun.
Friend: That's IF you get accepted, don't forget.

I'M the reason...
I was like, "Fighting is my duty." But hell, it's all I'm good for.
If it weren't for that...
I'd be worthless.
Haha, my duty...? What a buncha bullshit.

Dammit! Nothing I do is good enough!
*sigh*

Meanwhile, again... just one remains at this point after all...

Seems like my worst fears keep coming true...
Am I stupid to believe in things like trust and friendship...?
Dad...
This old letter of yours...
I must've read it a thousand times since it came last spring...

Tomorrow, I'll bring this letter to the opening ceremony for the Moonlight Bridge.
It'll be stored in a time capsule, and sent to you ten years from now.
Yukari... You're so small right now, but in ten years, you'll be sixteen. You'll be in high school.
I know you've been sad because I have to work so late, but you still always greet me with a smile.

I'll be starting on a big project soon, and I'm happy to be receiving so much recognition for my work...
But, I swear to you that nothing is more important to me than you and your mother.
Yukari... Are you remembering to enjoy life?
Are you still bright-eyed and hopeful, like you are now?

...Well, I hope this letter brings a smile to your face.
Love, Dad

I won't turn my back. I won't be like Mom.
Not ever...

End

Well, that was some... very disparate and different scenes of the rest of the gang. Junpei's was the most... filler-y feeling though, by far, which is a bit of a weird shame in a way.

Current Net Price Tanaka

But, hey, this IS our first Sunday since like the middle of June that we've been able to buy anything off Tanaka so let's see what he's got. A sweet new pair of boots! ...And some diet pills... for 10,000 yen. Yeesh.

...Well, footwear is what I seem to have the worst luck in getting in Tartarus (and I never bother buying equipment from the police station because I'm both a cheapskate and an idiot), so I'll take 'em!

Iwatodai Dorm

I appreciate this being upfront, but it's a Sunday and we never Tartarus on Sundays anyway. Also it's the middle of the day we couldn't Tartarus for hours.

Everyone seems to be studying...
I mean, I haven't seen anyone around, so they must be studying, right?
I'm not sure...
Yeah, neither am I.
Maybe they're not just studying...

I feel like we've been punished by a divine entity in the most passive aggresively minor way possible at this point. It's just... every single time. Without fail.

Oh, and everyone else is in their rooms now. Except Akihiko who's outright nowhere to be found. How odd!

They don't have anything super-interesting to say though (that Junpei is actually studying is surprising). We'll take advantage of the peace and how we don't need to leave the dorm for once to just go back into our room to play a dead video game.

Instead of, uh, leaping backwards through time a little bit to do that.

Joy

nowadays i just log on to MMOs with bedhead and all (liek today lol)
but when i was little, ppl said i was a real cutie -_-;;
guess i missed my chance rite? nobody thinks i'm hawt ne more T_T
...do men only want younger women? be honest w/me =3
Guys like younger chicks.
yeah, i thought so. everyone knows it but it sux to hear for real... orz T_T

Considering what you've mentioned before, that's... not just "bad," that is actively a crime.

> Maya seems pretty happy.

but i didn't make sense? i should know better--i teach composition!! o_O;;
mkay, i'll be calm. i'll compose my bitching carefully for you ;P
one of my coworkers is really pissing me off. i'm trying to avoid her @_@

its been a while but that kinda thing sticks w/u, u know?
ne way, she said she needed some advice, but then she just started bragging! >=(

and she acts like its nuthing! omg, rite?
i hate skanky hoes liek her! just give puppy-dog eyes and guys do whatever!
she even stuffs her bra!! lol
Just calm down.
talk about fake, rite? what kind of woman has to use pads for her boobs?
i'm fine w/ massaging in teh shower and drnking more milk. all natural ;)

omg for reals, i saw Ms. K running in late one time, ok?

...theyre fake for sure >=)
...an my school is FULL of teachers like taht! -_-;
man tatsuya, talkin to u is better than getting a massage =P ::blush::
complaining online is now an important part of my days off ^_^

> Maya likes talking to you.

...but after what i said, i might go to hell ne way o_O;;
well... i rented sum DVDs, sooo... later, tatsuya! thx for chattin

Wait, DVDs?! The overdue fees on those things gets kinda ridiculous! I hope it's the first time, so they'll waive 'em...

> Maya's player signed off.

> You decide to log out as well.

Alright, so that brings us along nicely to our last day before exa--

The Voice Someone Calls

So, how's life as a Persona-user?
Something's missing.
I wonder what... I hope you find it soon.
I remembered something else about the coming of the end...

Ten years ago, if I remember correctly.
Hey...

A Persona is like a mirror.
Which means, a Persona-user can never escape from his true self.
Regardless, I will stay with you...

Kinda... weird to get that from this, huh? Also, real nice of Pharos to tell us he remembered a thing happened in the past. But not what said thing was.

No matter, though. We've got one last day of freedom before we lose the rest of the week to finals. Joy.

Listening: What am I going to do if I fail again? I wish the school wouldn't post our names...
Gossiping: Yeah, that's the worst part. You get a bad grade, and everyone looks at you like your dog just died...

I... uh... maybe...?

Summer vacation is just ahead, so study hard!
Summer is beach season! Shaved ice! Wheeee!
It's also the hottest season, so don't neglect your health, okay?
Oh, by the way, there's a popular event in Japan in the summer that can be a little scary...
It's a girl's chance to get closer to the boy she's interested in.
It's called Kimodameshi!

Anyway, enjoy your summer, and make sure you come out of it with some good memories!

Still not another level... well, not much we can do about that now. But it's the last day before exams so our options are as limited as ever.

Fortunately, we DO have options so it's not a big deal!

Joy

Have you seen Striped Shirt?
We were playing tag, but... It's no fun if I can't find him.

You don't look so good... Are you sick?

Huh? S-So, you are sick?
Ha ha, no. I'm kidding. You're so easy, Maiko.
No fair! I'm an innocent girl, so I actually believed you!

I'm Maiko's friend.
So you're the guy she was talking about. I wondered what you were like...
Are you "too old" to play with kids, or are you still young at heart?

You can eat with us too, Striped Shirt!
Nah, I'm okay, thanks.
I'll see you guys around.

He's gone...
I ususally see him around the sthrine on Sundays.
I see him on the way to cram school, too.
Yay! It's takoyaki time!

> You decided to go with Maiko to get takoyaki.

I remember one time Dad burned his mouth on this takoyaki!
...'Cause I put too many in his mouth at once.

And then he snorted, sending me flying out of the encouter!

> Maiko suddenly fell silent...

Troubled

...Dad doesn't spend much time at home anymore these days.

Oh! Do you think he'll come home for my birthday?
Don't worry, he'll be there.
Y-You really think so!?

I mean, I know Mom will buy me presents, but still...
...She hasn't asked me what I want, yet.

> Maiko fell silent again.

...If they really loved me, then they wouldn't get a divorce.

> Maiko seems to enjoy spending time with you.

If I don't do laundry, the house will be a real big mess!
See ya!

> Maiko took off, so you decided to go back to the dorm.

Summer Plans

Silence

> An awkward silence fills the room...

Um...
Y-You know, it's almost summer break. Do you have any plans?

Man, it sure would be nice!
Somewhere in the south, where the water is crystal clear!
But first, we have exams to worry about... Ugh, what a drag...
Now, now. You'll be fine.
But yeah, I'd love to go somewhere famous for its beautiful beaches, like Okinawa.

Mr. Chairman... I didn't realize you were here.

Mitsuru, your father will be vacationing in Yakushima during the break.
He will...?
You'll all have some time off after exams, right? Why don't you go and pay him a suprise visit?

Joy

YES! Beach babes, here I come!
*sigh* Men.
How about it, Mitsuru?
But... my father is a busy man; I don't want to ruin his vacation.
Haha, don't worry...
No father would be upset with a daughter who came all that way to see him.
You've all done a great job. You deserve to relax for a while.

Alright.
I guess everyone needs a break now and then. Let's do it.
Woohoo!
Hmm, the beach...
I should design a special training regimen.

> Everyone seems excited about the trip...

Dude, I'm stoked!
I have to go buy a swim suit.
Hey, don't worry, I've got an extra pair you can borrow.
Nice try, man.
Are you going to swim too, Ikutsuki-san?
I'm afraid I can't.
I'll turn to dust if I'm exposed to d--

Silence

Uh...
Sorry about the other day...
I got a little carried away...

In a way, it's only logical that we go to Yakushima.
The Chairman said that no one who was responsible for the accident is still alive, but...
in reality, there is one witness who survived.
There is?

Senpai...

End

Gotta admit, it's nice to have a plan for the summer that isn't "um, hang out with old people and a grade schooler some more and also live in Tartarus."

Iwatodai Dorm

Now. you will all need to concentrate on your final exams...

Um...?

You're always cracking jokes.
Hahaha... This is no time for humor.
But, I'm happy to see everyone has a smile on their face.

For extra luck. try wearing your shoes on the wrong feet!

I dunno, that sounds both painful and awkward!

Anyway, Junpei's up on the second floor all alone.

Right now, I have to concentrate.
How do you stay so calm all the time?
It seems like all you do is wander around and talk to people.

And once again, the girls have shut themselves up in their rooms. Welp, so much for Tartarusing before the exams...

Which, as you can see, presents a bit of a problem! Money really isn't normally a bit deal or anything but Hard mode haemorrages the stuff at a disgustingly fast rate.

Fortunately, I had some trash I could sell to get Hua Po +3 Strength (the most meaningless and trivial of increases) but that's all.

We've always got free studying in our room at least, but that's not ideal...

Fortunately, we have one - and exactly one - chance to go to Tartarus soon.

Yukari's spending a bit of time working on being a better general healer, I see. Her Magic is pretty okay for the time and she can heal everyone at once which is nice. Shame that her first Medium spell is single target healing but it's a good sign anyway.

Junpei is, well, Junpei. Notable is that he's got Great status so he can deal decent Phys damage AND has an improved Crit rate just for that little bit extra oomph.

Akihiko, likewise, is Akihiko'ing. He's the only person without a stat over 20, which isn't as big a deal as it sounds but it bugs me anyway. At least he can debuff and will be able to do so better soon. His healing skills have fallen pretty far behind though, just because he can only cure ~60-70HP on a single target which is woefully inadequate.

Mitsuru is Good. Her skillset is still small but focused and she's close to solving her own potential SP problem without needing to be fed items or returning to the first floor all the time.

As before, and for maybe the last time, vote for :siren: the one person who gets benched. :siren:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 13, 2018

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's interesting when we see the other dorm rooms and they're all heavily personalized. I don't believe we've seen Akihiko's or Mitsuru's yet, but they're equally detailed which is fascinating for the amount of time you actually see them, which is very very briefly. Even Chihiro gets a detailed bedroom for the exactly one time we see it.

Then we have the protagonist's room and...it's completely barren. Even the shelves are bare. There's a generic bedsheet and some textbooks but the room may as well be unoccupied. I guess part of it is to not assume anything since he's supposed to be the player avatar but seeing it when you get so many bedroom scenes in a row and then you see the equivalent of a monk's cell makes the contrast impossible to miss.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Let's have Mitsuru sit out this one.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Bench Akihiko, having balanced stats is boring.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Let's have Akihiko sit out this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Lets have Mitsuru stay behind. Who wants to have the boss around all the time?