Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I'm actually in the middle of a giant reread of every Discworld book in publication order, leading up to reading Shepherd's Crown for the first time later this week- I never managed to make myself read it when it came out, because then it'd all be Over. I'll put together an effortpost on my feelings when I'm done, but two points

-Gods, Unseen Academicals is bad.
-Monstrous Regiment is far, far better than I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I feel aziraphale should be Tweedy. Much more Tweedy
Think Camp pudgy Giles from Buffy

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

tessiebee posted:

I feel aziraphale should be Tweedy. Much more Tweedy
Think Camp pudgy Giles from Buffy

My mental picture has always been 'imagine Michael Palin played Giles'.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

The_Doctor posted:

My mental picture has always been 'imagine Michael Palin played Giles'.

Spot on.
I am excited though, I think sheen is a fantastic actor and very underrated. He is just amazing at creating 3d characters.

Sloth Life fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 18, 2017

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Monstrous regiment is fantastic gently caress the haters :colbert:

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

GodFish posted:

I think you have to be right person reading it at the right time for MR and have a bit of women in war history in your arsenal to appreciate it. On my first reading (ya girl) I really didn't understand a lot of the deeper meaning. I was just "lol women fighting as men? What a stupid story". It really needs some context but saying that it is a really feminist piece in a lot of ways. Good job, Terry.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

HIJK posted:

They were written before Pratchett settled into his usual rollicking style. However they are still great if only because of how relentlessly Pratchett tortures Rincewind. And it all kind of turns out okay at the end! The end of the TCOM is such a great cliffhanger. :D

Exactly, they also clip along at a quick pace so you never get bored. The books are almost a tour of the entire discworld and make a great introduction I think.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

GodFish posted:

First time I read it I felt that it was mediocre, but now it's one of my favorites.

I feel like there's a reference I'm missing with the continuing "last stand" motif though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

There are a lot of little jabs / callbacks to British Napoleonic / Victorian wars / war fiction which will probably sail over a lot of heads.

Hell, I'm still missing a few - there's a bit in which Jackrum rattles a few references to the Battle of Balaclava in a row, then talk about "getting back the flag from 4 real bastards", and I haven't been able to figure out what's he's referencing, despite asking around for years.

Anyways, the only discworld books you should skip are the first 2 and the last 2. Oh, and the Science of Discworld books.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

GodFish posted:

It's one of my favourites and I still have no clue how I lost the drat thing.

Or my Gods Trilogy. That one was huge!

Xander77 posted:

There are a lot of little jabs / callbacks to British Napoleonic / Victorian wars / war fiction which will probably sail over a lot of heads.

Hell, I'm still missing a few - there's a bit in which Jackrum rattles a few references to the Battle of Balaclava in a row, then talk about "getting back the flag from 4 real bastards", and I haven't been able to figure out what's he's referencing, despite asking around for years.

Standards in the Napoleonic era were carried by junior officers who had an honour guard of hard bastard experinced NCO usually armed with halberds and half pikes. They had to be hardened bastards because the loss of these flags is both a regimental and national disgrace which men would die over to take or protect.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 18, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Standards in the Napoleonic era were carried by junior officers who had an honour guard of hard bastard experinced NCO usually armed with halberds and half pikes. They had to be hardened bastards because the loss of these flags is both a regimental and national disgrace which men would die over to take or protect.

quote:

I was part of the Thin Red Line that turned aside the Heavy Brigade at Sheep’s Drift, I saved the Imperial flag from four real bastards at Raladan,
Kinda feel as though the last one has to be a specific reference as well. (Also, saved, not taken)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Honestly I think it just a reference to the standard amount of men in Colour Parties, I think the usual number was at least four men guarding the standards.

It could be a cute nod towards the Sharpe series but I need to dig out my copy of Eagle to see if Cornwell described him attacking four dudes.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Dirty Frank posted:

If you haven't read a bunch of 60-70 fantasy they aren't all that good, best saved for when you're already hooked.

If you grew up reading a ton of bad 70s fantasy they are delightful parody and it's a pleasant surprise when the rest of the series become something more than just parody.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

tessiebee posted:

I am excited though, I think sheen is a fantastic actor and very underrated. He is just amazing at creating 3d characters.

Sheen is probably underrated because he stars in a lot of bad movies where he acts as broad as humanly possible.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Are they making the show contemporary or a 1996 period piece? Cause Gaiman tweeted the photo was from the "11 years ago" opening and I'd be chuffed if my little fashion joke almost hit the mark.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Anyways, the only discworld books you should skip are the first 2 and the last 2. Oh, and the Science of Discworld books.

The first two Science books are not bad, except as starting points for the series I guess.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

HIJK posted:

The end of the TCOM is such a great cliffhanger. :D

It had never clicked until I read you posting that that he ended it with the characters literally hanging from a cliff.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I started the series with Thief of Time, then Thud!, then read Small Gods. So far those are still my three favourite books. The Last Continent is a close fourth.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Thief of Time is an interesting place to start, considering its purpose is to handwave every temporal continuity error in the series.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Maybe it's good to get "continuity isn't a big deal ok" out of the way right from the start?

I've finished Watch, Death, Witches and a number of standalone books on my occasional reread project of the past two months. Got started on the first Tiffany Aching book yesterday and I'm enjoying it way more than I remember doing originally. Maybe this time I'll actually make it to Shepherd's Crown.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Prattchet himself said they can't really be read out of order anymore. Just read the drat things as released to avoid any confusion or spoilers*

*This is meant for normal people reading the books for the first time, not you obsessive dorks reading them In Latin to make your 85th read through a new experience.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Avé! Liber Nova! Similis Liber Seneca! 

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Jedit posted:

Thief of Time is an interesting place to start, considering its purpose is to handwave every temporal continuity error in the series.

It was the first one to catch my eye in the library :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I enjoyed TCOM and TLF even though 12 year old me had never read a single word of old fantasy novels and I read them in the wrong order.

I generally advocate reading them in the order they were published because, some slight mis-steps aside, they generally just get better with every book (until you get somewhere around Unseen Academicals which is easily one of the worst, though "bad Discworld novel" is almost an oxymoron).

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The first one I read was The Truth, and sure I didn't get a lot of the references, but I still really enjoyed it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Because of Discworld I read the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser books. Well, I mean, I probably would have read them eventually anyway but you know.

They aren't exactly laugh riots but they are definitely humorous.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

precision posted:

I enjoyed TCOM and TLF even though 12 year old me had never read a single word of old fantasy novels and I read them in the wrong order.

I generally advocate reading them in the order they were published because, some slight mis-steps aside, they generally just get better with every book (until you get somewhere around Unseen Academicals which is easily one of the worst, though "bad Discworld novel" is almost an oxymoron).

It's the worst because it's about football :can:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's the worst because it's about football :can:

Terry just tried to do too much in one book, leaving a lot of dangling plot threads.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Screaming Idiot posted:

Terry just tried to do too much in one book, leaving a lot of dangling plot threads.

It was in dire need of a good hard editing

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
For me, Unseen Academicals was the last 'good' Discworld book for me, but I didn't much like it because I'm not any fan of football. It was For I Shall Wear Midnight and Snuff I couldn't finish.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

For me, Unseen Academicals was the last 'good' Discworld book for me, but I didn't much like it because I'm not any fan of football. It was For I Shall Wear Midnight and Snuff I couldn't finish.

I remember thinking Snuff was a bit too "ham-fistedly sentimental Remo saves a bunch of natives" to be great but it was still good.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jerry Cotton posted:

I remember thinking Snuff was a bit too "ham-fistedly sentimental Remo saves a bunch of natives" to be great but it was still good.

Snuff had a bad message and terrible writing. That's when I clearly saw his mental deterioration.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Snuff's writing wasn't up to, well. But yeah, I first noticed it when Willikins turned up, and he was nothing like the character had previously been.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Earlier in the thread someone had a Good Post about how Unseen Academicals completely failed to capture what makes people so passionate about football. That was the main problem for me, I have zero interest in football and it was basically like reading about Quidditch for all the investment I had in it. Same about the couple that were parodies of Beckham and Posh Spice or whatever.

Snuff is also one I didn't enjoy much, especially the bit where Vimes is just lecturing the young posh women about oh they need to go get jobs and not just wait to get married. Nothing particularly wrong with the message, but it was delivered clumsily. Plus Vimes had really gotten completely invulnerable by then. I think it's way better if you pretend Vimes arc ends with Thud!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cicadalek posted:

Earlier in the thread someone had a Good Post about how Unseen Academicals completely failed to capture what makes people so passionate about football. That was the main problem for me, I have zero interest in football and it was basically like reading about Quidditch for all the investment I had in it. Same about the couple that were parodies of Beckham and Posh Spice or whatever.

Snuff is also one I didn't enjoy much, especially the bit where Vimes is just lecturing the young posh women about oh they need to go get jobs and not just wait to get married. Nothing particularly wrong with the message, but it was delivered clumsily. Plus Vimes had really gotten completely invulnerable by then. I think it's way better if you pretend Vimes arc ends with Thud!

All that just makes me more convinced that one should read the novels in any old order.

e: God drat don't listen to me, a goon.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Cicadalek posted:

Here.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If you ever for some reason play the game oddity Behold The Kickmen Trin, post a review about it. It's pretty much the weird off kilter video game parody of football like UA was.

Shame it was a very awkward book, I quite like the official art of the UU team :smith:. Even got a framed print of it on my wall.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I was fine with Unseen Academicals, even if I don't really care about soccer. Consider it similar to how I was alright with The Last Continent even as a non-Aussie/Commonwealther; it was still funny and compelling enough to follow.

Snuff and especially Raising Steam, though...few things bummed me out more than realizing that Pratchett was on his way out thanks to them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

I was fine with Unseen Academicals, even if I don't really care about soccer. Consider it similar to how I was alright with The Last Continent even as a non-Aussie/Commonwealther; it was still funny and compelling enough to follow.

That is a very odd comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

toasterwarrior posted:

Snuff and especially Raising Steam, though...few things bummed me out more than realizing that Pratchett was on his way out thanks to them.

I liked Raising Steam just fine, aside from not really ever laughing throughout the whole thing. Snuff is... yeah...