Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Panzer Corps and Unity of Command at core extremely similar puzzle-type games. UoC is essentially an elaborate Sudoku challenge - you count squares from your railway to your frontline and from your enemy's frontline to their railway and you move your units the number of squares you need to in order to make the other side's number a bad one. Every map is based around solving that math puzzle.

Panzer Corps works along the same principles but instead of making the puzzle explicitly numeric like UoC does it revolves more around force placement and map timers that require you to find the direction of least resistance and power through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Alchenar posted:

Panzer Corps and Unity of Command at core extremely similar puzzle-type games. UoC is essentially an elaborate Sudoku challenge - you count squares from your railway to your frontline and from your enemy's frontline to their railway and you move your units the number of squares you need to in order to make the other side's number a bad one. Every map is based around solving that math puzzle.

Panzer Corps works along the same principles but instead of making the puzzle explicitly numeric like UoC does it revolves more around force placement and map timers that require you to find the direction of least resistance and power through it.

Panzer Corps is basically Panzer General II HD Remix. I played Order of Battle which I felt significantly improved on the formula, though it's the same game. The air and naval combat in OoB is way better.

There's nothing wrong with liking either game.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
are these games similar to combat mission?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Class Warcraft posted:

Can anyone sell me on Battle Academy? Is it just babbys first Combat Mission basically?

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Someone sell me on Panzer Corps.

Read the thread title. If spending $5 on a grog game is something you're not sure about then maybe this genre isn't for you.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

V for Vegas posted:

Read the thread title. If spending $5 on a grog game is something you're not sure about then maybe this genre isn't for you.

I have a huge backlog of games and want to make sure if I buy something I'll actually get around to playing it but thanks for the hot take from the grog basement.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

are these games similar to combat mission?

While they are turn based, they're a lot less intensive and more "chill". Also 2d and not 3d.

Also, no 5 dollar patches.

And they're on steam and on sale on occasion.

And don't cost 40 dollars for base game, and 40 dollars for an expansion.

And you don't have to ityool 2017 use Getright to download them.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

algebra testes posted:

While they are turn based, they're a lot less intensive and more "chill". Also 2d and not 3d.

Also, no 5 dollar patches.

And they're on steam and on sale on occasion.

And don't cost 40 dollars for base game, and 40 dollars for an expansion.

And you don't have to ityool 2017 use Getright to download them.

so what you're saying is that they're not true grog games :grin:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Chump Farts posted:

Babby's first Steel Panthers is more apt.

so does Battle Academy have that annoying stutter-step gameplay where every move gets dragged out into 30 second wait from all the reaction fire?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

cool new Metroid game posted:

so what you're saying is that they're not true grog games :grin:

That's basically true

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

so does Battle Academy have that annoying stutter-step gameplay where every move gets dragged out into 30 second wait from all the reaction fire?

a little, but nowhere near as bad as steel panthers imo

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
if you're freaking out over dropping $5 on a series of games that run ~$100 full freight, I don't think you could possibly enjoy playing them

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Hell yeah - I bought the Battle Academy bundle for 5 clams and was surprised how much I enjoy it. Fairly simple, but I'd say more depth than it initially seems. I was put off them for years by the comic book aesthetic, but it actually works pretty well. Game's fun! Square-tile cartoon Panzer General, but maybe a bit more puzzle-ly since staying hidden seems to be more the name of the game for infantry. It makes a good lunch break game...

Panzeh posted:

Panzer Corps is basically Panzer General II HD Remix. I played Order of Battle which I felt significantly improved on the formula, though it's the same game. The air and naval combat in OoB is way better.

...BUT when Order of Battle went on sale it got me to try the actual tutorial campaign that they give out for free, and drat - that game carries the Panzer General II mantle. It's dumb but I hated Panzer Corps' "traditional left/right facing" thing, and really like seeing the sprites and models at least face the direction they're doing business, and this is good looking and the naval combat seems fun. I bought the Pacific Collection and the Winter War (because gently caress yeah Finns) DLC for 40ish bucks all told, and I'm pleased as hell with how much content there seems to be. I took six hours to get through the 4-mission tutorial campaign and the first two missions of the US Marines campaign.

I avoided it for a while though - it seems like there are some weirdly critical reviews on Steam, but near as I can tell most of the bitching is the DLC model which every grog game has, and some people just hate island hopping.

Is there anything to know about the other campaigns before I go into them? I assume some are weaker or less balanced than others, but so far I love what I've played.

ed: actually hell what am I doing taking grog game Steam reviews seriously anyway

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 17, 2017

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Game has DLC = 90 percent of negative reviews can be dismissed without reading

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

If you're ITT telling people that there is not way they can enjoy a grog game because they asked for people's opinions first instead of just buying it blindly, then you've basically transformed into a Battlefront developer and should re-examine your life choices.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Each unit gets 2-4 actions a turn cycle. If you use all of your shots in your turn, you get max one reaction shot. If you have a unit just wait, you usually get max three reaction shots.

It is far faster and more manageable.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Class Warcraft posted:

If you're ITT telling people that there is not way they can enjoy a grog game because they asked for people's opinions first instead of just buying it blindly, then you've basically transformed into a Battlefront developer and should re-examine your life choices.

lmao nice meltdown

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I thought I solved this by linking my thread?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ultimate General: Civil War is on sale for another 17 hours as a daily deal.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I thought I solved this by linking my thread?

nah I asked what game people would compare Battle Academy to and a couple people decided this was a good time to wave their neckbeards about

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Squiggle posted:

I avoided it for a while though - it seems like there are some weirdly critical reviews on Steam, but near as I can tell most of the bitching is the DLC model which every grog game has, and some people just hate island hopping.

it's fair in this case though since it was actually different before: the base game wasn't free, but came with two campaigns and could be gotten fairly cheaply. now all the campaigns are 20 bucks and only ever go on sale for 50% off, so it's demonstrably worse for the consumer, and the change pissed a lot of people off

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

cool new Metroid game posted:

bought that panzer corps bundle. forgot I already had the base game from another bundle ages ago so here's a key for the base game if anyone wants it

0NQVT-PJVZB-6MNAC

Someone else grabbed it already :(

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
Speaking of Battle Academy, I bought the bundle for the DLC and Battle Academy 2; I already had the first Battle Academy. PM me if you want the key.

Battle Academy is pretty fun! The cartoony look and simple interface hide the fact that there's a fair bit of complexity under the hood. The single player missions are pretty varied and will require different solutions to complete; it can be a bit puzzly, but there's usually room for somewhat varied approaches to each problem. Multiplayer is more freeform and quite entertaining; Slitherine's PBEM system works well, if you aren't familiar with it from other games.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

If anyone wants the majority of Panzer corps then the first person to PM me their email gets it. I thought i had les of it than i do when i bought the bundle.

E:Given out.

Polyakov fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 18, 2017

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Yooper posted:

I used the Aurora all-in-one installer and ignored your step 3 and so far everything seems to function fine.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=5663.0

I'll give that a try. I was trying to figure out what the gently caress from the combination of wiki's and forums they have going.

Ceebees posted:

It's easier just to install (and then promptly uninstall) a tiny utility program that includes it.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,1715.msg21036.html#msg21036

I have a couple of XP VMs floating around that I was going have a search of, but it looks like that all-in-one installer might be better than the route I posted.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Class Warcraft posted:

nah I asked what game people would compare Battle Academy to and a couple people decided this was a good time to wave their neckbeards about

For real, it is a good game though and worth looking in to if you want a relaxed sort of steel panthers experience.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
While reading Caesar's Commentaries I get an overwhelming desire to play Alea Jacta Est right up until I actually start playing Alea Jacta Est. Anyone got another game to scratch that itch that is more... fun?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hegemony Rome

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

rome total war + mods i guess

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh rad, looks like Operation Star is on sale on Steam - if I wanted to keep the package around 20 bucks and get a few of the DLCs, which should I take up first?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Rome 2 is a legit good gaem. Especially with emperor edition and mods.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Vahakyla posted:

Rome 2 is a legit good gaem. Especially with emperor edition and mods.

What mods would you recommend?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Nuramor posted:

What mods would you recommend?

"Divide et Impera" is the big, historical overhaul mod.

I wish there were more historical battles - the Emperor edition only has like 4 and you have to buy a bunch of extra DLC to add a few more.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Thought the thread would enjoy a fun Kotaku column on Campaign for North Africa: https://kotaku.com/the-notorious-board-game-that-takes-1500-hours-to-compl-1818510912

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
FYI: Slitherine is working on a 2018 release of Panzer Corps 2 using the Unreal 4 engine.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwxjYFqP35A

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

FYI: Slitherine is working on a 2018 release of Panzer Corps 2 using the Unreal 4 engine.

I'm suspicious because while it's nice to see a remake of Panzer General, PC doesn't really take the game in a new direction. I'm not going to say turn-based strategy doesn't belong on Unreal because XCOM, but 3d is not what will make the game worth buying.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
press F to send elite replacements

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Unless I missed something, there hasn't been a single screenshot of Panzer Corps 2 released yet, so speculation seems particularly useless regarding graphical quality.

I'm hoping for more and longer campaigns, personally.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Thinking less about volumetric smoke billowing off of tank husks, ragdoll soldiers, and screenspace reflections on air wings, UE4 has some very extensive poo poo under the hood that can simplify things and help make the UI less bad for the genre. Obviously that's up to the developer to utilize properly, but upgrading to a unified engine would be extremely helpful for them un-loving their product/the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Some team has also worked on a 3d Close Combat for like a decade now, right