Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Ytlaya posted:

I'm actually kinda surprised it's been around for 27 chapters with such low rankings. Don't things usually get cancelled within like <20 chapters? I guess they might have allowed it to hang around longer due to the reputation of its author or something.

I think it's because they already canceled other series like U19 and Poro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
To be fair though U19 was a flaming garbage wreck of a comic that wouldn't look too out of place in Marvel's current lineup.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ConanThe3rd posted:

To be fair though U19 was a flaming garbage wreck of a comic that wouldn't look too out of place in Marvel's current lineup.
u19 was bad enough that it literally felt too bad to have even premiered in WSJ.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I've been reading Black Torch and I really like it. It has a sort of "early Bleach" feeling, before that manga went to poo poo, and it tends not to drag plot points for too long (for example, the latest chapter neatly resolves both the "Who sealed Rago in the stone?" and "Who brought him back?" questions at the same time, so that's dealt with and the plot can move on without getting stuck).

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
That sounds vaguely familiar, maybe i've read that before and forgot about it. Is that the one with Fatboy Slim?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hungry marie is good (definitely better than, say, robot x laserbeam) and that author should probably just find a different magazine if he gets cancelled again. tho if he does get cancelled and has to start over again, I hope he can prove he has more character designs :v:

HenryEx posted:

That sounds vaguely familiar, maybe i've read that before and forgot about it. Is that the one with Fatboy Slim?

I don't even understand what that means in this context

but the main character is a guy that can talk to animals and he finds a demon cat that gives him super powers. it's kinda like the author is answering the question of what if yoruichi had found ichigo instead of rukia

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

hungry marie is good (definitely better than, say, robot x laserbeam) and that author should probably just find a different magazine if he gets cancelled again. tho if he does get cancelled and has to start over again, I hope he can prove he has more character designs :v:

but the main character is a guy that can talk to animals and he finds a demon cat that gives him super powers. it's kinda like the author is answering the question of what if yoruichi had found ichigo instead of rukia

Couldn't it just as easily be interpreted as a riff on Sailor Moon?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

maybe but I don't remember sailor moon very well. you could probably draw parallels like that to a lot of things; black torch isn't particularly original

it feels a lot like early bleach tho. it was one of my first thoughts on reading it. tho instead of joining spirit samurai, the protagonist joins magic ninjas

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mikl posted:

I've been reading Black Torch and I really like it. It has a sort of "early Bleach" feeling, before that manga went to poo poo, and it tends not to drag plot points for too long (for example, the latest chapter neatly resolves both the "Who sealed Rago in the stone?" and "Who brought him back?" questions at the same time, so that's dealt with and the plot can move on without getting stuck).

Wow this series loves its fan service.
jesus

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

OK so i checked it and yeah it's exactly what i remembered:

Not sure what context you need for this

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 30, 2023

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you can't possibly expect people to remember what some throwaway villains from months ago had on their clothes

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

you can't possibly expect people to remember what some throwaway villains from months ago had on their clothes

I can and I will.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I tried to get into that but the Bleach flashbacks and how painfully shonen it was just held me back. guess I can't really read shounen anymore unless it's poo poo like hungry marie or dr. stone or magi, which makes sense, I'm not like 11-12 anymore like I was when I started Naruto/Bleach/One Piece.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Guys guys, have any of you been reading Sheriff Evans's Lies.

It's a daily life manga, the story of a smalltown sheriff on the frontiers of the Wild West, and his developing love bitter rivalry with Annie Oakley, and the Mr. Bean-like escalating debacles he gets into whenever he lies.

It's goddamn hilarious and makes me laugh uproariously each chapter due to all the stupidity and misunderstandings.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I tried to get into that but the Bleach flashbacks and how painfully shonen it was just held me back. guess I can't really read shounen anymore unless it's poo poo like hungry marie or dr. stone or magi, which makes sense, I'm not like 11-12 anymore like I was when I started Naruto/Bleach/One Piece.
lol, comparing one piece to garbage like naruto or bleach

one piece is still the best shonen out there. the entire Whole Cake Island arc has been phenomenal and is one of the best arcs of the entire series.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

lol, comparing one piece to garbage like naruto or bleach

one piece is still the best shonen out there. the entire Whole Cake Island arc has been phenomenal and is one of the best arcs of the entire series.
I'll take your word for it, it was diminishing returns for me post-timeskip (with massive bloated arcs like dressrosa and underwhelming farts like fishman island) and I have no regrets not being caught up with furry island or w/e. not a popular opinion here though.
I loved and still love pre-timeskip One Piece though, I'll never deny that. I just thought the Oda Can Do No Wrong deification always went too far round this crowd. I think he confuses density (both visually and plot-wise) with complexity a lot. I just couldn't handle those cluttered pages anymore. Feels like One Piece used to have more space to breathe.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 19, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, I've honestly never gotten into One Piece.

Great for people who like it, not hating on it, but it's art never worked for me. It just never clicked for me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

fishman island through dressrosa is the weakest stretch in one piece but zou and whole cake island are some of the best it's ever been. you dropped out at the wrong time imo

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think OP will ever reach the highs it achieved during Alabasta or Enies Lobby, and oof the post-timeskip arcs were a bit rough, but it's pretty solid at the moment. Wouldn't call it the best shounen at the moment though since that's probably MHA, at least for me. Hell I might even prefer Promised Neverland at this point.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Apparently there's a new Rurouni Kenshin arc coming out. Huh. Well, don't mind if I do.

The only thing that annoys me is that it seems we're supposed to know who the new characters are... They've probably been introduced in some spinoff or other that hasn't been translated yet.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

fishman island through dressrosa is the weakest stretch in one piece but zou and whole cake island are some of the best it's ever been. you dropped out at the wrong time imo
I'm def sure this is true but it just breaks my heart and my eyes opening a new chapter of one piece and seeing a billion faces and actions and speech bubbles and plot movements crammed into one page.
needs more white, needs more of this:

not this

it just gives me a headache now

Mikl posted:

Apparently there's a new Rurouni Kenshin arc coming out. Huh. Well, don't mind if I do.

The only thing that annoys me is that it seems we're supposed to know who the new characters are... They've probably been introduced in some spinoff or other that hasn't been translated yet.
doooope

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mikl posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3832331

Side Chapter one

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapter/rurouni-kenshin-side-story-the-e-chapter-1/5143?read=1

Side Chapter two

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapter/rurouni-kenshin-side-story-the-e-chapter-2/5242?read=1

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

:negative:

(Yes, I know there are other "options" to read it, but when I want to give someone my money I can't :()

Mikl fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 19, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Pretty much everything about the new characters was actually repeated in the first chapter. One is a half-Japanese smart guy who was in jail, the other is a strong guy with Shishio's sword who really likes food and was in jail.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the cliff notes version isn't as interesting or helpful tho

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm a big enough man to admit Watsuki Nobuhiro's art might be slightly better than mine.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DrSunshine posted:

Guys guys, have any of you been reading Sheriff Evans's Lies.

It's a daily life manga, the story of a smalltown sheriff on the frontiers of the Wild West, and his developing love bitter rivalry with Annie Oakley, and the Mr. Bean-like escalating debacles he gets into whenever he lies.

It's goddamn hilarious and makes me laugh uproariously each chapter due to all the stupidity and misunderstandings.

Yeah, it's good.

Just admit it you goofs!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I forgot the Deadman Wonderland dude had a new series out and wow it's trashy as hell and not in a good way. Like the dude wanted to throw a bunch of cool poo poo on the page and hope it'd all make sense later.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

who could have expected this from the deadman wonderland author

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The dude did Eureka 7 though which was really good. :(

edit; nope i got that the wrong way round the manga was an adaptation of the anime, nevermind

Pierson fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 19, 2017

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Apparently Magi is ending in four chapters.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Beefstew posted:

Apparently Magi is ending in four chapters.
definitely feels like it is. There was a period where I stopped enjoying it and got annoyed it was just weird cosmic gibberish with Sinbad, cuz the Dumbledore Hitler/Trading company/exploring dungeons/exploring other countries and forms of government-stuff was always the best anyway, but it actually turned back around somehow with the bizarre hilarity between Sinbad and the Big Bad whose name I forget. i think it'll still go down as a solid shounen series overall especially considering how generic in tone and mediocre a lot of shounen is.

this poo poo is just gold lol I like to imagine theyre just high af

*two hours pass*

it's just too bad I never found any of the battle aesthetic stuff that appealing. the djinn equips always just looked visually "busy" and underwhelming to me, though the various magi fighting and the Roman vs. Hogwarts war was pretty dope. it's just the djinn equips really.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I see that he has discovered the Real Terror of the So-Called Legal Drugs that are Sold.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
smokin' parade has a retarded title and the art is bad to look at

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

does it look worse than deadman wonderland? I remember the art being fine there

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i read DMW. the character designs are much more clown suitish

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Punkin Spunkin posted:

definitely feels like it is. There was a period where I stopped enjoying it and got annoyed it was just weird cosmic gibberish with Sinbad, cuz the Dumbledore Hitler/Trading company/exploring dungeons/exploring other countries and forms of government-stuff was always the best anyway, but it actually turned back around somehow with the bizarre hilarity between Sinbad and the Big Bad whose name I forget. i think it'll still go down as a solid shounen series overall especially considering how generic in tone and mediocre a lot of shounen is.

this poo poo is just gold lol I like to imagine theyre just high af

*two hours pass*

it's just too bad I never found any of the battle aesthetic stuff that appealing. the djinn equips always just looked visually "busy" and underwhelming to me, though the various magi fighting and the Roman vs. Hogwarts war was pretty dope. it's just the djinn equips really.
Rukh falls, everyone dies.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is Claymore good?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Is Claymore good?

it's very good but the ending kinda dragged because it was 20 chapters of increasingly larger fights coming out monthly

it's probably much better when you can go straight through it though, the author does pretty well with character designs considering his conceit is "9/10 of the cast is white blonde girls"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

EmmyOk posted:

Is Claymore good?
Yeah it's a solid shounen fighting series, with emphasis on the shounen part because at first blush it feels like something more like Berserk when at heart it really isn't. The last 1/3 or so drags a bit for a couple of reasons I can't really remember, but the last like two or so fights are pretty memorable and I liked the ending itself.