Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I may have to do a clean install then. I touched ugridstoload months ago and then reverted them plus a verify game cache but that probably wasn't enough was it?

If you've reverted it back then I wouldn't think so but who knows. If you turn off/remove the texture packs does the problem always go away? If so try using one of the smaller packs (I use NMC Medium and don't run into any issues). Even though your graphics card might have tons of VRAM the New Vegas engine might not be up to the task if you're throwing gigabytes of textures and such at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was only running Poco Bueno and the hi res clothing mod. Might have something to do with all the other non texture changes I've added to the world.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Arcsquad12 posted:

I may have to do a clean install then. I touched ugridstoload months ago and then reverted them plus a verify game cache but that probably wasn't enough was it?

It's my understanding that you CANT revert ugridstoload, which is why it fucks with peoples games. Once you save with it on, that's it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

For that save file.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It's my understanding that you CANT revert ugridstoload, which is why it fucks with peoples games. Once you save with it on, that's it.
If you try to load a save that was saved with a higher uGridsToLoad setting then the one in your ini, the game will crash.
So you what need to do then is boot up the game with the higher uGridsToLoad in your .ini files. Load the save. Alt-Tab out and change uGridsToLoad to the lower setting you want. Then go back to the game, use the "refini" console command and save the game.

But really uGridsToLoad is one of things you probably shouldn't mess with.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I;m getting a lot of issues with level geometry. Sometimes the geometry is visible but I fall through the ground and reset, sort of bunnyhopping across an area where the geometry is all hosed up. It only seems to happen when I'm using a texture overhaul mod though, so maybe its memory related? Except I've got a load of memory so it shouldn't be a problem, yet it is.
That really is a classic symptom of having messed with uGridsToLoad. But if you lowered that setting back to the default and you can load your save, then it has to be something else.

The game running out of memory is a good possibility though, especially if you're on Win8/8.1/10 and using a lot of big texture replacers. Have you tried monitoring the game's RAM & VRAM usage?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Raygereio posted:

That really is a classic symptom of having messed with uGridsToLoad. But if you lowered that setting back to the default and you can load your save, then it has to be something else.

The game running out of memory is a good possibility though, especially if you're on Win8/8.1/10 and using a lot of big texture replacers. Have you tried monitoring the game's RAM & VRAM usage?

Memory was tanking, and I checked Mod Organizer. Turns out that it was still set at Ugrids instead of 5. So my modlist pretty much collapsed and I'm back at square one.

Good news is this means I get to trim my list a bit and start fresh. Or as fresh as I can be with a base set of around 50 mods I cannot play without. I decided I'm not going to play with New Vegas Interiors this time, so I'm looking at some new player homes and new lands to complement the Better New Vegas mod, which adds a whole load of stuff.

Is Beyond Boulder Dome any good? I've looked at some of the armours that come with the mod and they seem amazing, but I've heard mixed things about the overall quality.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 18, 2017

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
BBD is a flaming trash heap :shrug:

EDIT: I realized despite the 4 or 5 times I've played this I've never gone for an energy weapons heavy build. Any good mods that add reasonable energy weapons to the game? Reasonable as in not hilariously overpowered and or shoddy looking.

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Sep 18, 2017

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is Beyond Boulder Dome any good? I've looked at some of the armours that come with the mod and they seem amazing, but I've heard mixed things about the overall quality.

By the standards of FNV, BBD is crap. I forced myself to go through it one time, and there was exactly one cool moment: The "AI" that turns out to be a hyperintelligent genetically engineered chimpanzee.

The writing is bad, the VA is bad-to-forgetable, the whole thing feels like rightfully cut content from Fallout 3. The final battle of the whole thing is contrived and horribly unfair - I basically had to cheat to finish it because the instantaneous DPS output of the boss and his goons. The factions in BBD have such tonal dissonance from their counterparts in FNV that I half-wonder if the writers even played FNV.

The most disappointing thing about it is the fact that the mod is technically competent - I can think of only one bug, no horrible typos or poo poo maps. It just comes together in a wholly unsatisfying lump.

BBD is so bad, that I wanted my money back even though it was free,

BBD is so bad, that when the same team was making a solstheim mod for Skyrim and got hosed by Bethesda making Dragonborn and they had to start from scratch, I had a huge schadenfreude-induced grin for an entire day.

BBD is so bad it almost made me stop playing with quest mods.

That being said, TrainWiz's little quest mod for NV is pretty decent.

Kitfox88 posted:

EDIT: I realized despite the 4 or 5 times I've played this I've never gone for an energy weapons heavy build. Any good mods that add reasonable energy weapons to the game? Reasonable as in not hilariously overpowered and or shoddy looking.

Honestly, the energy weapons in game are pretty sufficient, especially if you have GRA and all the other DLCs.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 18, 2017

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

Honestly, the energy weapons in game are pretty sufficient, especially if you have GRA and all the other DLCs.

Honestly I just dislike how the laser pistol and rifle look and was hoping for some other low-powered early game energy weapon to use until I can rob the Van Graffs blind. :v:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

If you can find a copy of the goon-made The Armory, it's got some nice ones. Also Project Nevada.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kitfox88 posted:

Honestly I just dislike how the laser pistol and rifle look and was hoping for some other low-powered early game energy weapon to use until I can rob the Van Graffs blind. :v:

AG's Supplementary Uniques has a decent number of Energy Weapons.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Are people legit excited for whatever project Brazil turned into? It was poo poo, maybe worse than bbd because at least bbd had mindless combat portions

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm also looking for some nice player houses. I was using freeside studio apartment, but I'd like something a little different

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Are people legit excited for whatever project Brazil turned into? It was poo poo, maybe worse than bbd because at least bbd had mindless combat portions

I'm personally looking forward more to The Frontier myself, which actually looks pretty decent.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Lombard Station is still my favorite house mod, but if I ever replay new Vegas it will be with some sort of portable base. Because fast travel -> loading screen -> open door -> loading screen blah blah blah gets old FAST

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

You're a Nightkin now, sorry.

i Ticked archive invalidated and stealthboys work normaly now

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Lombard Station is still my favorite house mod, but if I ever replay new Vegas it will be with some sort of portable base. Because fast travel -> loading screen -> open door -> loading screen blah blah blah gets old FAST

My dude, Portable Tent is what you want. Can be plonked down anywhere outside, limitless storage, all the crafting you need, customizable auto-sorting. The only thing it doesn't have that Lombard does is weapon displays.

It's not as cool as The Sink, but that's just because you also get the best New Vegas DLC with The Sink.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
The NVSE page is down right now, is there any other known way to get the current version?

e:patience is a virtue, it's back up I guess now.

Plotac 75 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 20, 2017

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I haven't followed Project Brazil in a long time. What happened?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I haven't followed Project Brazil in a long time. What happened?

nothing, it was and always will be awful

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

nothing, it was and always will be awful

Saw some screenshots recently that looked pretty anime.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Question: is it possible to add armor mods to the Low Profile Armor Mod collection if said mods require .esps to activate? I've got a lot of different armor mods running and I was wondering if it is possible to amalgamate them to cut down on plugins.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm not specifically familiar with LPAM but yes, merging armor plugins like that is definitely something you can do. Instead of two ESPs which add one armor each, you just make a single merged ESP which adds two armors. Or whatever.

that kind of merging is something you can basically automate in skyrim, I'm not sure about the toolset for fnv but worst possible case it's some drag and drop -> save as new esp in the GECK.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Crindee posted:

Did anyone ever make an inventory sorter (not the Sort-o-matic kind, I mean the kind that adds prefixes to item names) that's script-based? The only ones I can find just modify the names of items directly, so they create conflicts with anything else that modifies items, and don't cover items added or restored by other mods.

Speak of the devil, guy uploaded it like two weeks after I posted. Even has an ini that you can use to change what items are sorted, and what prefixes are used for each item type. Neat.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Psion posted:

I'm not specifically familiar with LPAM but yes, merging armor plugins like that is definitely something you can do. Instead of two ESPs which add one armor each, you just make a single merged ESP which adds two armors. Or whatever.

that kind of merging is something you can basically automate in skyrim, I'm not sure about the toolset for fnv but worst possible case it's some drag and drop -> save as new esp in the GECK.

Actually, you can use the exact same tools.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
My FOMM suddenly stopped working and I can't seem to find a fix online.

All I can find are the program crashing when trying to load the game, but mine doesn't load at all. I run the program, it loads for a second and then just stops without opening it.

I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, and it didn't fix it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Use MO instead.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

RaspberryCommie posted:

All I can find are the program crashing when trying to load the game, but mine doesn't load at all. I run the program, it loads for a second and then just stops without opening it.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Use MO instead.

I find this hilarious because I still use MO 1.2.x instead of 1.3.whatever for this exact same reason. :laugh:

if you find a fix, post what it is, because hell it might work for me, too.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Use MO instead.

Actually dont because the Win10 fall update apparently breaks MO! :smith:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

RaspberryCommie posted:

A couple of things you can check:
Open up taskmanager and see if there isn't already an instance of FOMM.exe running. Kill that process if there is one.
Uninstall FOMM. Make sure its config files are deleted. I don't recall the exact file path for those. It's somewhere in AppData. Run a search for "FOMM" on your PC and you should find it. Then be sure to grab this fork of FOMM that got some updates and fixes over the original one.
FOMM requires .NET Framework 4.0. If FOMM ran before you obviously had that, but you could try running a repair over it.

Agents are GO! posted:

Actually dont because the Win10 fall update apparently breaks MO! :smith:
The last news I picked up about that from people using the Insider builds is that Microsoft implemented a workaround fix for MO.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Deleting the config in appdata fixed it!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's two things I'm looking for: a mod with more enemy types and a mod with more locations, maybe indoor dungeons made with in-game assets so there's not a load of extra textures and amateur voice acting to download. I've heard NV Interiors Project is good but never really tried it; Monster Mod has a load of enemies but they're, uh, of variable quality. Anyone tried any other mods of these types they might recommend?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

2house2fly posted:

There's two things I'm looking for: a mod with more enemy types and a mod with more locations, maybe indoor dungeons made with in-game assets so there's not a load of extra textures and amateur voice acting to download. I've heard NV Interiors Project is good but never really tried it; Monster Mod has a load of enemies but they're, uh, of variable quality. Anyone tried any other mods of these types they might recommend?

Better New Vegas does a good bit to add more above ground regions.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I suggest Increased Wasteland Spawns. It doesn't spawn anything new, just more of what's already there. It's really fun to fight a bunch of semi weak dudes versus one damage sponge. Every mod I've ever played that adds new enemies and new areas has been just loving terrible.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Kitfox88 posted:

EVE is pretty rad for energy weapons.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

2house2fly posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/40980/ Adds a bunch of new sections and turns otherwise mostly boring areas into big constant firefights between multiple factions you can watch or join in on, it's alright. Might melt weaker computers.

A few of the areas add UFOs and aliens and even giddyup buttercups running around killing poo poo so if you are a stickler for ~immersion realism~ maybe don't play it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I still use NMM because it Works For Me and it's what I'm familiar with. :downs:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've just started modding up a new game, fresh installation, and I get this error whenever I try to install The Armory with Mod Organizer

Any ideas?

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
I just reinstalled FNV for my annual playthrough and also in preparation for Frontier hopefully coming out some time soon.

Got all my mods installed perfectly which is a huge relief since it's worked badly in the past, one question about a mod I've never quite fixed but just lived with in the past.

I'm using Weapon Animation Replacers https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/38527
and sometimes my character's hands will deform or grow or my fingers will disappear, reloading usually fixes it but how do I actually fix it? This is a pretty popular mod so I figured someone might know.

I used the custom FOMOD method to install it since whoever made WAR hates all players, I'm pretty sure I did that part right since it's a pretty simple process. There's no patch or anything for this on the WAR page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Capn Beeb posted:

EVE is pretty rad for energy weapons.

I'll add a note here.
EVE has some pretty cool effects, but some of the audio and visual changes to weapons are annoying as gently caress.

Pulsing/Animated "iron" sights annoy me, and several guns have them with EVE.

Holster/Unholster sounds on some weapons are much, much louder and more obnoxious than they should be.

Finally, some of the kill animations are just too much. It's fun to watch a guy get skeletonized, but having him float in the air for five seconds, pulse for another three and then explode with a horrible scream is just too much when you consider how much death you'll be dealing in a game like this.