Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Astroman posted:

Did not think she was that old! Susan--almost 80! :aaaaa:

It's kinda easy to forget that back when she was cast, Tom Baker was only a young teenage drunk.

Edit: Well without the quote that was an easy post to misinterpret!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

It's kinda easy to forget that back when she was cast, Tom Baker was only a young teenage drunk.

Are all the doctor's actors retroactively female now?

... Asking for a friend's fanfic.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Astroman posted:

I think the idea [snip] is a lot better than it was executed.

Welcome to the world of television science fiction!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/909702383235735552

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Good Omens remains one of the only books by either Pratchett or Gaiman that I haven't read but I'm not sure why.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
It's pretty good, you should give it a go.

I'm still slightly disappointed they didn't go with Heap/Serafinowicz from the radio adaptation, but this is pretty close to what I thought they both looked like.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Fry and Laurie would've also been acceptable.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Man, gently caress you, I hadn't even thought of that and now I'm sad it's not happening.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tennant looks like Bill Nighy doing try hard. Sheen looks like a 5th Doctor cosplayer. Both look terrible.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Since you mentioned Bill Nighy, it's strange seeing Michael Sheen in Underworld movies then seeing him in pretty much everything else he's been in. He's playing a wee bit against type in those ones.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

All I'm seeing from Tennant is Geddy Lee.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Will Tennant be using his own accent do you think? I suspect he'll be going estuary again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wheat Loaf posted:

Since you mentioned Bill Nighy, it's strange seeing Michael Sheen in Underworld movies then seeing him in pretty much everything else he's been in. He's playing a wee bit against type in those ones.

I think it'd have been more interesting the other way around. Sheen can certainly do sinister, and I'd have liked to see his take on Crowley. Tennant will reach into his shallow acting bag, and do something in the small gap between Ten and Kilgrave.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I think it'd have been more interesting the other way around. Sheen can certainly do sinister, and I'd have liked to see his take on Crowley. Tennant will reach into his shallow acting bag, and do something in the small gap between Ten and Kilgrave.

This is why I would have liked to see Serafinowicz as Crowley. Dude has range.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Timby posted:

All I'm seeing from Tennant is Geddy Lee.

Well now that is all I see too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFpZFnJ6ZT8

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, when I first saw it announced it didn't specify who was who and I genuinely wasn't sure, I'm also not sure this was the best way around.

I know this thread has crossover with the McElroy thread so has anyone listened to Travis's new DW podcast? Is it any good?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Astroman posted:

http://notthebigfinishforum.freeforums.net/thread/3561/doctor-adventures-space-time-cast

Thread over at the Not Big Finish forums about the new recast 1st Doctor stuff.

First few pages are a lot of old hands melting down about the :supaburn: RECASTING but mostly positive. A couple of the writers chime in as well. What's cool about these forums is you get actual people who work on the audios speaking in an unofficial capacity.

It's not confirmed, but it appears William Russell may be hanging it up due to age, and then it was pointed out not unreasonably that perhaps Carole Ann Ford didn't want to continue on without him and with an all new cast. She's apparently only done like 5 audios since 2013, and she's...77!

Did not think she was that old! Susan--almost 80! :aaaaa:

Saw someone trying to take credit for the Master being in the 1st Doctor Adventures, and someone complaining (Yet again!) that BF has gone one DW spin off too far. Yep, never going back there.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The time is right for Second Susan

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

corn in the bible posted:

...played by a guy, in the ultimate role reversal!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

Carole Ann Ford, reading that she will regenerate off-screen: :sigh:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The_Doctor posted:

Tennant's kind of reaching a typecasting problem, I think. He's probably got a decent range, but if he's cast for something you know it's for a fairly narrow section of that range. And he's good at what he's being cast as, but it means you've got a pretty clear idea what you're getting right away.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
He's great in Broadchurch and that's not much like Ten or Kilgrave. I liked him in Blackpool too but that was a bit more similar.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bicyclops posted:

Carole Ann Ford, reading that she will regenerate off-screen: :sigh:

I really liked the idea of her coming back to play against Matt Smith for the inverted age contrast and then the episode ending with her starting to glow from wearing a bit thin. It was a total fanwank idea but I figured for the 50th anniversary year it would be permissible.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davros1 posted:

Saw someone trying to take credit for the Master being in the 1st Doctor Adventures, and someone complaining (Yet again!) that BF has gone one DW spin off too far. Yep, never going back there.

The trick is to tune out all the annoying people. It really is a good place for in depth BF discussion, even more than we do. Particularly of other ranges. And you get actual BF creatives chiming in with behind the scenes stuff, which is cool.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Box of Bunnies posted:

I really liked the idea of her coming back to play against Matt Smith for the inverted age contrast and then the episode ending with her starting to glow from wearing a bit thin. It was a total fanwank idea but I figured for the 50th anniversary year it would be permissible.

I'm still sad we didn't get an episode of Matt Smith having to be bailed out by his "dad" Mr. Chesterton, who wouldn't stop rubbing it in the whole time calling him "young man" and complaining about youth :allears:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Cleretic posted:

Tennant's kind of reaching a typecasting problem, I think. He's probably got a decent range, but if he's cast for something you know it's for a fairly narrow section of that range. And he's good at what he's being cast as, but it means you've got a pretty clear idea what you're getting right away.

you can't watch his Hamlet and say he's got no range.
but if you've only seen him in trash sci-fi like Dr Who or Jessica Jones I can see why someone might get that idea.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Tennant is very good in Recovery.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect that Tennant deliberately played Kilgrave as very similar to the Tenth Doctor. Like others have said, it's certainly not that he can't do anything else.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
What was he like in Casanova?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He used the same accent as he did for Ten but I don't recall him playing him very Tenish.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Cerv posted:

you can't watch his Hamlet and say he's got no range.
but if you've only seen him in trash sci-fi like Dr Who or Jessica Jones I can see why someone might get that idea.

I'm an uncultured monster who hasn't seen him in anything but Who and Jessica Jones, yeah. I know he's good in other things, and I know he has better range than he gets to show in the stuff I've seen with him, I just haven't seen them!

And yeah, he deliberately played Kilgrave like Ten. Apparently he didn't come in with that intention or goal, but he tried it and it worked VERY well.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

hot as gently caress

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kilgrave is similar to Ten, but I don't think he played him exactly the same way. The open disdain and malignancy of Kilgrave involves some of the same intonation as the self-righteous indignation of Ten, but it's not "the Tenth Doctor, except callous" exactly.

He's really good in Broadchurch, though. I wish they'd let him use his natural accent more often.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Still think he sounds too young for Scrooge McDuck, unfortunately.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Astroman posted:

I think the idea of Turlough (shady alien with a mysterious past is inserted into the TARDIS as an anti-Doctor sleeper agent, comes around and turns out to be a noble from his home planet whose side lost a revolution) is a lot better than it was executed. As with so many things at the time (Nyssa's tragic story with her father). A plot like that could be far better realized now, and his motivations and character could be kept consistent and develop.

Turlough had one job. It was cowardly leering at everything, and he did it well.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

Kilgrave is similar to Ten, but I don't think he played him exactly the same way. The open disdain and malignancy of Kilgrave involves some of the same intonation as the self-righteous indignation of Ten, but it's not "the Tenth Doctor, except callous" exactly.

He's really good in Broadchurch, though. I wish they'd let him use his natural accent more often.

He initially started out as a menacing psychopath and then slipped into Ten almost on accident.

But I repeat myself.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's the theatrical arrogance that lets you play the Doctor and the Purple Man as basically the same dude. They both want not just to achieve their goals, but for everyone around them to applaud them for how amazing they are for doing so.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wheat Loaf posted:

He'll grow out of it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Volume 4 of New Adventures of Benny (the second with David Warner's Unbound Doctor) and the True Stories short story collection about Benny in the Unbound universe are both out over at Big Finish. Been pretty keen for both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

God, Alan Young was already mid 60s when he started playing him, I didn't realise he was born in 1919.

• Locked thread