Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fates End
Oct 17, 2009
Even in Canada, F O X!
Honestly, it's surreal to sit in dining room of a Canadian hotel and hear Fox, almost a year after the election, screaming at Bernie for not supporting Clinton enough and screaming at Clinton for, uh, stealing the primary because she felt :siren:ENTITLED:siren: to it?
The longer they spend under their dream president, the more they fall into the Twilight Zone.

Fates End fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/909776281847386112
Rand Paul appears to be trying to poison the well on this. Gentle reminder to browbeat whoever represents you into not voting for this.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Those kinds of situations are what tazers are supposed to be for.

I witnessed a similar incident two years ago from my front porch. A man who lived in the store across the street murdered his baby (well, his girlfriend's baby) and took off. He returned to the scene an hour later when all the crime scene investigators were there, with a big knife, threatening to kill himself and trying to get them to shoot him. It ended with a tasering and a suspect in custody after a few minutes of shouting. This was in a US city and they didn't shoot him, so YMMV

Edit: also, he was not white

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 18, 2017

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Paracaidas posted:

Happy Monday! Let's all have weeks that don't suck!
https://twitter.com/shujaxhaider/status/909437023458615296
https://twitter.com/peterwsinger/status/909769507882848257
https://twitter.com/peterwsinger/status/909770879424397312

Almost 9 hours before deciding that this week needs to gently caress off already. That may be a record for me.

It's amazing how far the mainstream media will go to legitimize a movement that would be happy to destroy the mainstream media if it ever had the opportunity.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Office Pig posted:

Rand Paul appears to be trying to poison the well on this. Gentle reminder to browbeat whoever represents you into not voting for this.

I'd call up Chucky Shoe's office but I think he's safe. Time to pretend I'm from Maine and Alaska -- but will they give my call more weight if I mimic the accents?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

DaveWoo posted:

It's amazing how far the mainstream media will go to legitimize a movement that would be happy to destroy the mainstream media if it ever had the opportunity.

WSJ's my favorite for that dynamic.

"No, guys, they're right wing! They're on our side!"
*plays video of "Jews Will Not Replace Us"*
"Why should we, as the literal mouthpiece of Wall Street, Finance, and Banking, be concerned about such sentiments?"

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god

DaveWoo posted:

Again.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

Edit: also, he was not white

Was he black though? I'm guessing that's what you meant but I am curious. Also the state if you don't mind sharing?

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

nwo hatchet man posted:

This doesn't make sense. If "logic warrants lethal force" they should aim to kill. If there's an opportunity to intentionally not kill them then lethal force isn't necessary in the first place. No one cares what weird Hollywood poo poo Finnish cops are taught. This just encourages cops to go to their gun more often to solve problems.

Yes, police in the US are such problem solvers. Actual, empirical evidence shows that your bullshit theory has no merit. Most police forces in the world understand the fact that intermediate force exists, instead of the ideas that US police are saddled with:
i) you are always justified in using lethal force so long as you can cite personal or public safety (even if you have to plant a gun on the victim).

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Are there any studies that demonstrate a correlation (or lack) between police on-the-job casualties and hair-trigger response training, across the US and Europe?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
RIP Rolling Stone.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/sep/18/rolling-stone-magazine-up-for-sale

quote:

Rolling Stone, rock'n'roll magazine turned liberal cheerleader, bankrupt and seeking a buyer

It is the magazine that described investment bank Goldman Sachs as “a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity”, George W Bush as the “worst president in history” and featured a photo of a naked John Lennon curled around Yoko Ono on its front page.

But after almost 50 years of seminal covers and epoch-shifting articles, the owners of Rolling Stone have put the title up for sale amid financial difficulties.

Founded by Jann Wenner in 1967 when he was a 21-year-old hippie student in California, Wenner now runs the rock’n’roll magazine turned liberal cheerleader with his son Gus, the president of the family publishing company.

On Sunday, the pair announced they were planning to sell their remaining stake in the title that has both ruthlessly skewered public figures, and helped to launch the careers of such influential creatives as photographer Annie Leibovitz and the gonzo journalist Hunter S Thompson.

The pressure on the publishing industry from the rise of the internet, a costly libel battle, and financial deals that with the benefit of hindsight look like unwise have combined to prompt the Wenners to consider their options.

Apparently, the lawsuit from the UVA Rape story, the internet, and the fact that nobody reads long-form journalism anymore killed it.

They are only going to stay alive if they can find a buyer who is willing to lose money on operating it for the name.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
A $3 million settlement was all it took to bring this magazine down?

Is it really dead? That article seemed like the owners just wants some liquidity not necessarily that it is about to die or am I totally wrong?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Enigma89 posted:

Legal fees are a thing too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Yes, police in the US are such problem solvers. Actual, empirical evidence shows that your bullshit theory has no merit. Most police forces in the world understand the fact that intermediate force exists, instead of the ideas that US police are saddled with:
i) you are always justified in using lethal force so long as you can cite personal or public safety (even if you have to plant a gun on the victim).

Well, the issue with police is that they only see one problem worth solving: some people aren't white. And then there's just the one solution.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Enigma89 posted:

Is it really dead? That article seemed like the owners just wants some liquidity not necessarily that it is about to die or am I totally wrong?

The owners say that they have been losing money on it for years and that the sudden jolt of the lawsuit + declining revenue + declining subscriptions means that they are taking proactive measures to save it. They want someone to pull a Bezos-Washington Post deal where they operate it at a loss to keep the brand alive, because otherwise it isn't profitable and will shut down.

I don't know how likely it is that someone would take them up on that offer, though. And if nobody does, then Rolling Stone is gone.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/909806872844259328

In unsurprising news, McCain is trash.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Koalas March posted:

Was he black though? I'm guessing that's what you meant but I am curious. Also the state if you don't mind sharing?

Mexican, the Spanish-speaking immigrant kind. In Illinois, I think it was the Illinois State Police that did the tazing. (somehow I doubt the local PD would show restraint)

E: grainy cell phone photo I took minutes after the fact (don't doxx me pls). It was actually almost exactly three years ago, time flies.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 18, 2017

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

botany posted:

oh cool good to know that you understand better what law enforcement practices make sense than law enforcement in pretty much the entire developed world with the exception of the US.

Dear god don't train American cops to shoot people *more*

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That the police are where many wannabe-soldiers end up doesn't help any, neither does the 'We are police, you are civilians' attitude and the other such pseudo-military terminology that they throw around.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Susan Collins has "CONCERNS" but if I recall she was non-committal on the other repeal bills as well. Haven't seen anything out of Murkowski's people yet.

https://bangordailynews.com/2017/09/18/politics/susan-collins-cites-concerns-with-latest-republican-bid-to-kill-obamacare/

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

PerniciousKnid posted:

Are there any studies that demonstrate a correlation (or lack) between police on-the-job casualties and hair-trigger response training, across the US and Europe?

This is especially difficult in the US, because the data set is atrocious garbage. WaPo/HuffPo and an independent project (whose name escapes me) have worked on it, but even that is piecemeal. Reporting requirements are presently minimal and done pretty inconsistently.

Towards one of TNC's points in A Case For Reparations- if Congress studies this, they can get more standardization and get the data into the public record for anyone to use.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Quorum posted:

You are technically correct, and I award ten points to House Goon.

British Parliament and Icelandic parliaments arguably not continuous in the same sense, since they changed for a of government in various ways over time.

Real answer is the Icelandic allthing though yeah.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Office Pig posted:

I have sent my senator multiple calls and emails and faxes

Unfortunately my senator is Graham

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jesus Christ he's worthless as usual

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

nwo hatchet man posted:

It's almost like tiny European countries have large geographic and demographic differences from the US

The population density in some places in Scandinavia is on par with places like South Dakota and Wyoming. Still patrol in pairs. I can see why you'd have single officers patrolling in Alaska because it's frigging Alaska.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

When police patrol in pairs here, it just doubles the aggression. I got pulled over years ago for forgetting to renew my car registration. It hadn't even been a full month. While the first cop was walking up to my window to talk to me, the other literally flanked my car with his flashlight (it was broad daylight) to inspect my backseat and watch me from the other side.

e: This was after they did an insane U-turn in traffic and did 20+ MPH over the speed limit to pull me over. It was ridiculous.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't know how likely it is that someone would take them up on that offer, though. And if nobody does, then Rolling Stone is gone.

the brand is worth enough someone will keep it alive

newsweek's still lurching around for example

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Might be a great platform for Peter Daou and the gang. Print magazine with scannable verrit codes

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jesus Christ he's worthless as usual

What were you expecting? Maybe your expectations are off?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/909825989588525058

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

gently caress you mccain. why isn't the glioblastoma working its magic? oh, he gets top class healthcare for free while he ponders ripping healthcare away from millions.

double gently caress you mccain :flipoff:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Muppets On PCP posted:

Bloomberg says there are two potential buyers.

Verizon and Bauer Media Group.

Verizon is okay with the magazine losing money to add more exclusive digital and web content for Fios streaming services.

Bauer Media Group is a German publishing company that distributes Woman's World and InTouch Magazine. They have no web presence and are considering buying out Rolling Stone to use it as "an anchor hub for the company's first serious attempt to bring magazine content to digital space."

Basically, the two people who would buy it are okay with abiding by the terms of just burning money for the magazine portion.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a helpful and healthy infographic for all y'all.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Office Pig posted:

Edit: not going to lie, half the reason I posted this is for the fact meme 'Diamond Joe' Biden seems to have superseded reality.

sounds like he'd be okay with guaranteed employment

which isn't quite as good but is Fine

not exactly shocked that Joe's not a commie on yet another issue though

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

The Muppets On PCP posted:

Newsweek died and came back pretty much unrelated to the original and has been real, REAL bad since it came back.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Your Sunday morning Virginia politics update:

The walks are ratcheting up. The number one question is no longer "oh, there's an election?" We are now at "Which one is the Democrat?" 42 people came out to walk for the governor's race, and we're starting to work for Elizabeth Guzman in the House of Delegates race.

People are starting to wonder what the candidates stand for as well, and that's where it's fun to watch released staff learn. It's not enough to repeat 1-3 talking points that the home office in Richmond provides. You have to know what your guy is for. You read this thread, so you know that and I know that - you can't just say "the other guy is a shmuck, vote for me!" Teaching people how to use their own story to explain why their guy is their guy is everything. My job next week is to train / retrain everyone in the office to speak like a human and knock on doors like they're people, not just marching band teens with a script.

Side note: actually ran into marching band teens in Fairfax County yesterday. They were rehearsing their speech while walking to the next door. We had a laugh about it. Door knocking is hilarious and awesome. Democracy is awesome. Getting people to get down for a cause is awesome.

Last round of polling has Northam +6, and the Kochs responded with a $2 million ad buy. Northam apparently had a response to said ad buy ready to go, as VA Dems often do; they've even tactically positioned the response to run immediately after the Koch attack ads. It's kind of amazing.

The north is feeling upbeat. 51 days to go.

I just re-registered to vote for Fairfax! I was told it was inactive somehow. I may have to vote absentee but I'll get it done either way. :)

I shook McAuliffe's hand when he visited our company earlier. Really invested in biotechnology apparently.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 18, 2017

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/909837150530818048

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Office Pig posted:

Here's a helpful and healthy infographic for all y'all.

I'm not very informed when it comes to politics as I only really got interested in platforms and poo poo in the past couple years, but that seems really horrifying to me.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

well gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
fine, just take away everyone's healthcare

i'm so loving tired

• Locked thread