Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Astro7x posted:

This is the same company that shipped the New 3DS XL without a charger.

To be fair, I just used my 3DS charger and haven't thought much about it.

Which is exactly why they did it. Given how many people already owned one, Nintendo assumed the vast majority of people purchasing a new3DS already owned a 3DS or 2DS and wouldn't need yet another charger thrown in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

ProjektorBoy posted:

I've powered the NES off a USB 2.0 port which are spec'd at 500mA. I wouldn't recommend it for long periods of time as it may be a bit low, but it'll work.

The output of the packed-in NES Classic power is 1A, for what it's worth.

Ya, luckily USB3 does 900mA, though I should check the hub in the monitor to see if it puts out the full 900mA if it isn't connected to a host PC, or if it does a lower power state until then.

I'll probably use my NES Classic's adapter for my SNES Classic since they apparently are not coming with one. I usually sell my old power adapters with the electronics they came with whenever I upgrade, so I don't have a plethora of extra iPhone adapters laying around, just a handful I keep in suitcases that I'd rather not dig out. So I do wish they would ship with their needed power sources.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

Consider backing him on patreon if you like his stuff, he's making a pittance off his videos and considering his variety of talents(he plays multiple instruments himself, including the namesake ocarina) it's a shame he gets so little. He does 1-2 backer requests a month and only has 20 backers, so you have a good chance of getting a request in. So far he's done Smiles and Tears from Earthbound, Nature's Crescendo from Stardew Valley, and the above Last Duel covers for me. The Smiles and Tears one really gets me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU9DE69wwos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krAAMOERegw

Holy poo poo this kid is incredible!!
I just wish he did more RPGs.

Listen to his cover of the fuckin Home Alone theme!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN3d6NXH2QU

I am literally going to play that every Christmas.

I never backed a patreon before but I am doing it now

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The EU has fines for including proprietary connectors in with electronics, IIRC. It's totally cut down on plastic garbage.

So is Apple fined constantly?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

s.i.r.e. posted:

I believe that EU law is not in effect yet. It's recommended but not mandatory.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

They included lightning to microUSB adapters in all iPhones previously

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Well I beat Final Fantasy 1 on my NES Classic. The only other ones I've beaten have been IX and X, so it was nice to play the first one. I had to use Exit at the final boss and level up for awhile, and then when I finally beat Chaos he didn't even use Cur4 at all. Overall a fun game, I'll probably wait on playing the next ones for awhile and switch to something a little shorter.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

TheManWithNoName posted:

Well I beat Final Fantasy 1 on my NES Classic. The only other ones I've beaten have been IX and X, so it was nice to play the first one. I had to use Exit at the final boss and level up for awhile, and then when I finally beat Chaos he didn't even use Cur4 at all. Overall a fun game, I'll probably wait on playing the next ones for awhile and switch to something a little shorter.

That's so cool! Did you ever meet/beat WarMech? I remember spending hundreds of hours trying to find him so I could get my name in Nintendo Power.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

TheManWithNoName posted:

Play FFVI!

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
He'll be able too soon!

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

LorneReams posted:

That's so cool! Did you ever meet/beat WarMech? I remember spending hundreds of hours trying to find him so I could get my name in Nintendo Power.

Never ran into him! I'd already sunk too much time into the game to bother trying to encounter him.

I will once I get through the rest of them! I've got translated versions loaded onto my NES.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Skip FF2 and FF3, you aren't missing anything.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Does the NES Classic have a bug fixed version of Final Fantasy (that would be super weird) or could they just not be bothered to put something in the documentation about all of stuff that works in broken ways/doesn't work at all?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Does the NES Classic have a bug fixed version of Final Fantasy (that would be super weird) or could they just not be bothered to put something in the documentation about all of stuff that works in broken ways/doesn't work at all?

No it's just straight-up broken like it's always been, I think these are considered "acceptable" bugs since they can mostly be explained away by bad luck.

The PS1/Wonderswan-and-beyond remakes I think address the bulk of the game's issues and modify a lot of the mechanics (using MP instead of spell charges for each level, ability to "forget" spells and replace them with others, and restructured leveling so levels happen more often but you're expected to be higher level for the endgame, a more "proper" final boss).

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

SpazmasterX posted:

Skip FF2 and FF3, you aren't missing anything.

Not entirely true. I think FF2 is the one that has your main character going "YES!!!!!!!!!!!!" after every single battle.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

enojy posted:

Not entirely true. I think FF2 is the one that has your main character going "YES!!!!!!!!!!!!" after every single battle.

FF2 is great to go back to later just to examine what a broken mess it is.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Do I play Castlevania, Mega Man 2, Kid Icarus or Ninja Garden next?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
How much do you want to throw your controller at the TV screen in anger?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

BexGu posted:

How much do you want to throw your controller at the TV screen in anger?

By that metric to me, from most likely to throw to least likely

Ninja Gaiden
Castlevania
Kid Icarus
Mega Man 2

I've never actually played through KI but love the rest

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Vive la Quebec! Vive la Quebec libre!

https://twitter.com/toysruscanada/status/909761986589839360

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Surely they'll restore all of those cancelled pre-orders! :shepicide:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Phantasium posted:

Ninja Gaiden
Castlevania
Kid Icarus
Mega Man 2

I've never actually played through KI but love the rest

It's neck and neck between Kid Icarus and Castlevania but yeah that is pretty much the rankings. I remember only beating Castlevania but abusing the hell out of the holy water on bosses.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Although I guess with save states the thing that ranks NG higher is sorta null.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

I have no qualms using save states. I'll start with NG and hope I don't throw my controller too much.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Just save when you get to the final boss and you won't have to worry about a thing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

[quote="“Phantasium”" post="“476515097”"]

Ninja Gaiden
Castlevania
Kid Icarus
Mega Man 2

I’ve never actually played through KI but love the rest
[/quote]

Kid Icarus is harder than NG and Castlevania imo. I’ve only been able to beat the 3DS Classics remake that has vastly superior control.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Castlevania has codes after each boss that allow you to continue from there without penalty.
Some of the bosses are stupidly hard unless you happen to have the right item. I have been playing through it recently and savescumming and it hasn't been too bad.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Castlevania has that hallway right before the fight with Death :argh:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Amazon France Preorders are up

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B073BVHY3F/

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Just snagged one from French Amazon, vive la republique :france:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Grabbed one too. Says it can't ship internationally but lets you create the order anyway.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

TheManWithNoName posted:

I will once I get through the rest of them! I've got translated versions loaded onto my NES.

FF2 is probably best played with an FAQ open the entire time, or at least after reading one of the many detailed guides to the game's mechanics. FF2 for me was the game that was the most mechanically impenetrable AND the game that was the hardest to stay on target with the plot.

IIRC the world is one giant landmass and you can technically walk anywhere from the starting town, and if you try to explore or just get lost, there's no visual indication when you've walked from "safe, level appropriate monsters" into "gonna get hosed raw monsters" until a random encounter starts and your whole team gets 1-shotted. OTOH the game's mechanics are insanely easy to abuse and you can pull off wacky poo poo like 1-shot killing the last boss by casting a harmless white magic spell at him.

i always thought FF3(JP) was more like a proto-FFV. you get four characters that are almost entirely blank slates and the mechanical part of the game revolves around leveling your characters through a roster of different classes and trying to mix and match which abilities from which classes will give you the most insane stats.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This is all I can think aboot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv5LEjeWz-E

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Great reference, and one that I was surprised the Critic folks were up on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vive_le_Qu%C3%A9bec_libre

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I beat NG and KI way before I beat Castlevania. gently caress that game.

KI is actually easy (IMHO) after you get past the first level. It's a game I beat a million times because it flips so you just keep repeating the game over and over.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It's not pronounced kweh beck!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
In Quebec do they call it the SNES Royale?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

La Superr ness mini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjSCfwNylNM

Come to think of it that ad is from prime SNES years.

univbee fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 19, 2017

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

univbee posted:

La Superr ness mini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjSCfwNylNM

Come to think of it that ad is from prime SNES years.

How is this not a Tim Horton's commercial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Morby posted:

How is this not a Tim Horton's commercial?

Because Timmy Horton's is an Anglo-Canadian thing, and Quebecois have a love/hate relationship Anglo-Canadians.