Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Come to think of it, Samus was doing pretty good until Other M when she turned into submissive zero suit waifu after the Prime series ended. I guess that's somewhat arguable since she was depicted realistically in the first prime game and got progressively animated looking as the series went on.

Even the 16-bit Final Fantasy games engaged in some cheesecake, though maybe some of the more recent games I didn't play were better, baring magic girl dress up in the FF10 sequel.

Bleh, I feel like there's an example somewhere but blanking on anything right now.

Edit: Fire Emblem? Path of radiance seemed ok from what I recall. Titania I recall as good and, despite the boobplate, men and women were wearing similarly covering armor.

Edit2: looks like path of radiance didn't have much actual boobplate, but other games in the series did along with short skirts plate armor. Eh.

yook has a new favorite as of 06:26 on Sep 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Chrono Trigger is great about it, but then, that's Chrono Trigger.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

I guess I'm not used to it then because I don't play many anime-inspired games, but conversations that just casually fold in how women are duplicitous liars and men are simple idiots is startling to me, in 2017.

Also how the male antagonist raises a religious super army based around cold calculating reason and logic whereas the female protagonist wants to kill him because she's emotional and reckless and can't see the greater good, which of course is why her brother had to be sacrificed. :stare:

Not a lot of game time is spent on this stuff so it's fairly easy to look past, but when it comes up, it's a little gross.

Surprisingly, blatantly sexualizing women has pretty much never come up, except for Velvet's extremely bad primary outfit (which you can change out of in-game, but the skits still have her main outfit shown).

Whats great is that the outfit description says something like "She picked her outfit with ease of movement in mind"

Look at her legs. There is a chain that connects both legs. I can't imagine that is exactly helping with movement in any way.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In Chrono Trigger everyone all had rather normal outfits, given the genre.

A question a character-designer should ask themselves is "How does character put this outfit on in the morning" and "How does this character go the bathroom without making a mess?".

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The day JRPG outfits become practical and realistic will be the darkest day in video game history.

E:

To expand a bit, if your setting isn't otherwise going for a realistic and down to earth vibe then I say go nuts with the outfit designs. Whether the designs in question are good or bad is a different matter, and not really linked to how practical or realistic they would be to wear in reality.

Plus even the real bad designs are at least funny.

Kanfy has a new favorite as of 11:44 on Sep 18, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Glagha posted:

So my favorite thing from Kane and Lynch was something I still haven't seen much of in multiplayer games is the bit where Lynch goes off his meds. In the game, Lynch is on medication to handle some unspecified mental issues. Later in the game he starts having a psychotic break and starts gunning down hostages. This happens during gameplay and not during a cutscene though, where the Lynch player starts seeing enemies that Kane can't so the player starts shooting the hostages in self defense while the Kane player is just confused. Works really well for a plot/gameplay crossover.
This is part of the reason why I will always love K&L, even if it wasn't teh closest games have gotten to Greek tragedy; it's the only game where I've had to stop myself from being mad at my buddy because it wasn't his fault, it was the game intentionally doing it.

Sometimes, I wonder where all the depressing shooters went.

Also, to post my favourite thing: the Max Payne theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u116HbMOF_Y

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If your villain doesn't look like he just grabbed everything in his closet and put it all on at once, don't even bother.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Wasn't there a post in this thread about how Nier:A made the main villain looking like his closet threw up on him a plot point?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Western RPG bad guy (boring): Let me put on this helmet and black armor. Ah, I am ready to start my day.

JRPG bad guy (completely insane): Let me wear 200 rags in clashing patterns, a thong, and long beautiful hair. Ah, I am ready to defeat my own mortality by conquering fate.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Jukebox Hero posted:

Wasn't there a post in this thread about how Nier:A made the main villain looking like his closet threw up on him a plot point?
Yeah, the whole point is that they don't understand human clothing; belt that doesn't do anything, tie that's part of the shirt and something like that

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
The useless belt is the arch nemesis of the Belt Dress from final fantasy x

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Booting up Prey and I found it quite neat you can be a dude or lady dude. Doesn't seem to influence anything beyond pain grunts either, which is even neater.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

As much as people joke about Final Fantasy costume design, who remembers third edition Dungeons and Dragons?

Half a shirt, half a pair of pants, and one shoe. And heels.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Booting up Prey and I found it quite neat you can be a dude or lady dude. Doesn't seem to influence anything beyond pain grunts either, which is even neater.
It's insane to me that more games, especially FPS, don't do this. Just hire another voice actor for your largely-silent invisible murder machine.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FactsAreUseless posted:

As much as people joke about Final Fantasy costume design, who remembers third edition Dungeons and Dragons?

That's Pathfinder, and yes it's stupid as well.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Nah, Hennet is the 3.x iconic Sorcerer.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Flashback little thing: The screams of horror from the soldiers in Prototype/Prototype 2 when you hurled them at helicopters like terrified meat missiles; They even had a unique animation for NPCs to spin like footballs when you threw them.

Prototype 2 at least had a ton of details, I haven't played the first in years but the zombies in the sequel have a LOT of stuff they can do if you don't aggro them; If two are near a corpse, and one starts to eat the corpse, the other might start trying to drag it off and they'll fight until they wishbone the corpse and rip it in half and both zombies walk off with their half trailing blood behind them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Also how the male antagonist raises a religious super army based around cold calculating reason and logic whereas the female protagonist wants to kill him because she's emotional and reckless and can't see the greater good, which of course is why her brother had to be sacrificed. :stare:

You should be pleasantly surprised by how that whole plot point turns out, at least.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I liked it in Oxenfree when the aliens/ghosts/whatever (not finished it yet) gently caress with you and flip the screen when you're on a time limit. No idea if its a happy coincidence that this made me feel utterly powerless in the presence of these beings or if I'm just a fat handed twat who can't get my head around a simple thing like "left is now right".

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cythereal posted:

No, it's 3e D&D. Pathfinder's sorcerer is the naked woman who just wears floating ribbons.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

FactsAreUseless posted:

Pathfinder's sorcerer is the naked woman who just wears floating ribbons.

Women's fashion in gaming summarized in one sentence

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

All of those belt buckles should be worth at least +1 AC.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
At what point does a shirt made of belts become leather armor?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's a girdle not a shirt? You nerds should stop playing games and learn some vocabulary.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

At least he'll never bend the knee. Spirit of a true warrior.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's a girdle not a shirt? You nerds should stop playing games and learn some vocabulary.

It's a bunch of leather crap on his torso and leather crap on his arms; plenty of 'leather armor' on girls in games leaves most of the breasts exposed, so that may well be a fine set of reinforced leather armor in my favorite the finest of Skyrim sex mods.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

OutOfPrint posted:

All of those belt buckles should be worth at least +1 AC.
But also impose arcane spell failure.

Which is why

FactsAreUseless posted:

Pathfinder's sorcerer is the naked woman who just wears floating ribbons.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

My Lovely Horse posted:

But also impose arcane spell failure.

Which is why

Starting to regret never getting into Pathfinder if sorcery mechanically requires dressing like an anime stripper

Serf
May 5, 2011

Arcane spell failure was always hilarious to me because its not like spellcasters have to worry about their AC past a certain point.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jukebox Hero posted:

Starting to regret never getting into Pathfinder if sorcery mechanically requires dressing like an anime stripper

Could be worse. Guild Wars 2 has an illusionist character comment that the reason she wears huge, fancy ballgowns everywhere she goes and they never seem to get dirty is that the dress is an illusion and she's actually naked. Because of course she is.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I never could work out why belt overdose is so popular among character designers and now that I've started thinking about it I can't get it out of my head. What is it about the aesthetic of a belt that makes two dozen of them on a single person so tantalizing? Are people inordinately fascinated by seams and buckles?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

I never could work out why belt overdose is so popular among character designers and now that I've started thinking about it I can't get it out of my head. What is it about the aesthetic of a belt that makes two dozen of them on a single person so tantalizing? Are people inordinately fascinated by seams and buckles?
Replace "fascinated" with "aroused" and you're about 90 percent of the way there.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Oxxidation posted:

I remember making that complaint in a thread and someone told me the guy who designed Lulu's costume in FFX was just straight up loving with everyone by seeing how many buckles he could get in there.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

I remember making that complaint in a thread and someone told me the guy who designed Lulu's costume in FFX was just straight up loving with everyone by seeing how many buckles he could get in there.

More specifically loving with the poor 3D-designers who had to turn his vision into reality.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

MiddleOne posted:

More specifically loving with the poor 3D-designers who had to turn his vision into reality.

And they responded by avoiding animating her from the waist down whenever they could, or just leaving her out of action scenes. For instance, there's a scene where Tidus, Kimahri, and Lulu have to jump from a dock onto a boat, and the cutscene pointedly shows Tidus and Kimahri jumping, but Lulu just magically appears on the boat. The same thing happens in the wedding crashing scene; the FMV shows everyone riding the cables except Lulu, even though she's still in your party and usable when you land.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Push El Burrito posted:

There's another interview where he says the reason he even started putting belts/zippers on things in the first place was because he did it once and someone gave him poo poo for it so he like septuple-downed on it from that point on.

It's good to design out of spite apparently.

At that time, people teased me about zippers and belts and whatnot and I知 the type of person if somebody eggs me on I知 gonna do it more! Nowadays, I知 not as conscious about adding them in. I知 not the type of person that would shrink down when people tease me about it. I知 gonna fight back! I知 gonna go back at it and do it more.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's not just Nomura, though. .hack's characters literally have whole ensembles made of belts and nothing else. As shown above, it's not even unique to Japanese artists. So weird. Imagine how they must pinch.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's insane to me that more games, especially FPS, don't do this. Just hire another voice actor for your largely-silent invisible murder machine.

This is true for many games but the prey character has quite a lot of voiced lines

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I finally finished NeiR: Automata and while the game had some pretty lame bosses the last one is pretty great if you decide to play as A2. Since 9S specializes in hacking he's loving with your system the entire fight. This can take the form of swapping your controls or forcing a retro-filter for your vision to name a few. It was a nice change of pace from most of the other bosses that had no real defining features other than beings spheres and shooting lasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

poptart_fairy posted:

Doesn't influence much of anything, however you can look around your apartment at the start of the game and there's lady/dude stuff based on what you picked. Appropriate clothing and such. For some reason I'm kind of tickled by the fact that there's an environment designer who worked on this game who had to furnish the same apartment twice.