Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Nothing makes a movement ST player saltier than laughing in the face of that 55-point Hailstorm they spent all of R3 carefully lining up because you're still 32 points ahead afterwards. :v: Didn't get a GG for that one, but that seems to be par for the course on the pro ladder whenever I win by more than a couple points...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Speaking of movement, new Gwentup report, this one already cuts the days pre-hotfix and it's early days.

https://gwentup.com/report/17/14

Henselt, Broover, and Dagon are top dogs, with Eithne and Radovid leading the rest of the pack. Emyhr is now the better win-leader for NG(Which honestly I find baffling). RIP Skellige, their decks are all good, but half of the meta is a direct counter to one, the other half to the other. Sad!

Hope they make up one for the pro ladder. if only to see how bad Morvran does there.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
It's always hard to draw conclusions off that data, but lol at the winrates of gold weathers with just about every faction. Kinda makes me want to see how much better other bronzes can perform over axemen in a gold weather skellige deck.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

just remove weather from the game honestly, it will never be balanced

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I think normal weather is fine, but gold weather has been a nightmare to balance ever since RNR was changed and drought was introduced.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Minrad posted:

I think normal weather is fine, but gold weather has been a nightmare to balance ever since RNR was changed and drought was introduced.

RNR and Drought haven't been played since the first OB nerfs. Gold weather returned, when the staple gold controls Gigni and Villen became 4 points on the board and 8 on the graveyard.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

gold weather became meta again because they removed golds being immune and letting you build a huge lead against the low tempo of gold weather

now, gold weather hits everything so you're guaranteed 20+ value from them in any long round

The best way to balance them is probably to make them work like white frost or dagon: hit two rows instead of all 3, but spawn a unit on your side.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I stopped during closed beta and just got back in. Game was ok before, but feels really good now.

Just had a game as NG where I made the guy ragequit because I bounced Myrgtebrakke so many times between Emyhr, Cahir, and Decoy. It definitely wasn't even the best value I could have gotten, but I guess the dude just got tired of being sniped.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

frajaq posted:

just remove weather from the game honestly, it will never be balanced

I want this more than anything but CDPR won't give up the concept and players would be mad at removing the "complexity". Weather always comes back, Dagon and Woodland Spirit always come back.

That meta report is pretty fascinating though. Almost every faction sees their win rate climb as they play more weather, Marigold's Hailstorm, or weather counters. Hell, the whole meta can be explained by how well a faction uses or resists weather/hailstorm/movement right now.

Calveit hit the brick wall I always knew he would. He's rocking a ~40% winrate against Dagon, Radovid, and Henselt and only winning against Skellige, other NG and Eithne. So as a leader he doesn't really counter anything else that you would want to counter right now, he's just consistently bad against the meta. I wouldn't be surprised if more pro-ladder people start switching to Mill for their required NG matches, at least that counters some decks like Henselt. The golds choices are pretty revealing: Menno/Cahir/Rainfarn all >95% because what the hell else are you going to play. Cahir isn't even that great but he's still auto-include. Only Zoltan: Animal and gold weathers crack 50% in winrate, Letho has hilariously bad winrates associated with him. Whoever is still trying to make Letho work, please stop.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
New Letho is the worst of all of the gold control options available to NG, by far:

Menno: Kill any unit as long as it has a spy tag.
Eskel: Kill any unit as long as it's not boosted.
Assassination: Kill any two <=8 strength units or one <=16 strength unit.
Letho: Kill two units, but they have to be adjacent to each other and all of their strength (+1) remains on the board.

There are ways they could make Letho more viable; make his kills targetable, make him kill without boosting himself (or only boosting by half or something). Hell, even making him banish again might make him a potential tech choice against SK, Stennis/Trollololo, etc.). At this point, though, even Artifact Compression would be a better option than Letho; at least it actually removes strength from the board *and* effectively banishes a unit at the same time, with one silver card.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

It's me, I'm going to defend weather, because without it, there is no control in Gwent. Unless they buff Ciri to being playable again, so playing for CA is a thing again. Besides that, weather isn't really that bad or broken this patch, compared to original OB NG spies, or the Weather Axemen meta.

Eredin decks run a lot of weather effects and he does worse than Elder. The Radovid version of Armor with Scouts does better than the one with Adepts and weather. Axemen with Harald also run a lot of weather effects, including the two golds, and clearly isn't saving Skellige from oblivion anytime soon. Dagon decks run 2 weather effects(3 with Hag, 4 if they decide to bring a gold weather effect but eh), one of them mostly because of the beasts it summons and as it's only big tempo play, most of the deck however is straight consume.

Which leaves exactly one deck that runs both gold weathers, Broover Hoog movement, and I would say it's real power isn't in gold weather but it's movement and being able to to make sure opposing units are always on different rows being hit on the face, or setting up huge hailstorms swings.

Decks that are running 1 RNR/Drought do it in the gold slot that last patch would be reserved for Gigni. And that is more important, I believe, than just being the changes to Gold Immunity that brought Gold weather back. Gigni is unplayable, Villen is unplayable, Scorch is unplayable. Which leaves only one other form of control in the game, and that is golden weather and merigold hailstorm. Though I do wonder if Golden Weather will still show high winrate stats, cause I'm starting to see both on Pro Ladder and ranked more and more silver mages.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Honestly a general sentiment I'm getting from playing games and watching streams right now is that removal trumps building your own board. Like if you have the choice between playing a 15 power bronze, or a 7 power bronze that does 4-5 damage to enemy board, the latter always wins. Especially if that damage done can avoid eating into your marigold hailstorm. It's part of what's allowing spellatael to make a comeback as evidenced by that one dude hitting #1 ST fmmr with a very classic spellatael deck.

I like the gold immunity change, but I feel like we could use a very small amount of spell and/or weather immune units added to the game. A VERY small amount. Maybe like uh, Berserker Marauders and a gold unit, or a silver spell that grants it to a unit.

Also speaking in general, SK's resurrect niche is due for an overhaul. They've always suffered twice as much from banish/graveyard hate as other factions do, and artifact compression/new coral are hell to play against as SK when they're used well, on top of vicovaro/caretaker now being even more powerful since they benefit twice as much from the bronze power gains.

Minera fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 16, 2017

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
it's funny that trollolo ended up being phased out of the top ranked NR decks because of the fact that it ends up being fodder for artifact compression/coral and opposing DB heavy cavalry + being significantly weaker than shani + stennis combo

it's also funny how adamant some people are at not teching anti-weather in this current double gold weather meta

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
What are people replacing him with?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

probably marigold's lol, if not dethmold

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Installing this game now so I can try it out when I get home from work. Any sign of an android version on the horizon?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

w00tmonger posted:

Installing this game now so I can try it out when I get home from work. Any sign of an android version on the horizon?

I doubt it, the animated premium card art is a resource hog and lags consoles and non gaming pcs as it is. The game isn't near enough optimized to run on a phone.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

At the very least, they had a job posting for someone with mobile experience when the only games CDPR are working on are Gwent and Cyberpunk 2077, so it'll happen at some point.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Man, I am loving this control-heavy NG variant I'm currently running. Pretty much this deck with a tweak or two. Been a solid contender from about 3.2k MMR to 4050 MMR so far; 61% win rate. NR armor can give it some trouble if you don't have exactly the right answers at the right times (though that's probably just me sucking), but it handles most everything else with ease, and it's definitely delivered more 40+-point curbstomps than any other deck I've played when the engine really gets churning in a long second or third round. Had one SK game yesterday where the guy played his entire collection of Longships and Greatswords *and* rezzed all the ships at least once, even resorting to decoying a Priestess to do so. Total number of Longship hits on Greatswords in that game: zero. Most of 'em died to Enforcers or other control cards instantly, one hit Cantarella once, and one helpfully popped Iris for me near the end of the game. I was really feeling sorry for the poor guy by the end of it.

This deck has also gotten me more rage-ALT-F4s than GGs in the past week; apparently control decks make people really salty. Even my fellow NG players don't give me GGs these days... :saddowns:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Still not sure whether running a golem just for Cynthia is worth it. I'm sure it's great when it works, but seems a little dicey with emissaries/Cant/Joachim. I run roach, personally.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

you run that combo just for the tempo

in some MUs you need it to keep up early on so they don't massively out-tempo you and then pass early (NR combo and Hybrid Monsters both have crazy tempo early on)

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Yep, the golem is mostly for tempo. I've been hosed by it like twice in 50 games, and it's not likely I'd have won either anyway. That extra three points can make a huge difference in maintaining an early lead, or at least staying within one card, if you lose the coin toss. Roach without Assire is terrible value for a silver, and since three of your four golds are reactive and you usually want to save Cahir, there's no guarantee of getting her out in R1, meaning she's still gonna gently caress with your draws. Your other silvers are pretty key as well; Joachim and Cantarella are must-haves, Vanhemar is critical with all the weather in the current meta and is usually worth 12-15 points otherwise, Iris is a massive long round swing, and Ceallach is consistent value as an extra Emissary, a clutch Assassin, or a reliable 12-point Ambassador in a desperate pinch. I can't see removing any of 'em for "some gold plus four strength that might just land in weather and also is probably gonna gently caress up your mulligan".

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Makes sense. I run the version where you use impera brigades for tempo, so I have more room for silvers I guess.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

people have been tossing around using Emhyr instead of Calveit in a spy deck. The main strategy seems to using Emhyr to reuse your VV Medics or Celleach which in turn triggers the impera brigade and enforcer synergy as much as possible. Could potentially work.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Subvisual Haze posted:

people have been tossing around using Emhyr instead of Calveit in a spy deck. The main strategy seems to using Emhyr to reuse your VV Medics or Celleach which in turn triggers the impera brigade and enforcer synergy as much as possible. Could potentially work.

Can't say this is weirder than the Morvran Mill Reveal that is doing the rounds.

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde
I have really been enjoying Gwent lately. It definitely helps that I have crafted a deck I enjoy finally. It's a ST Broover movement deck running Johnny and Ciri dash. The consistency is great and there isn't a better feeling than playing one of their golds. Usually really pisses them off, especially if I snag one of their gold weathers. I generally have problems with heavy weather and mill decks (~Rank 18).

How exactly are you supposed to deal with mill decks, especially with a deck that thins a lot?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

you basically lose

real talk, you basically have to willingly not thin on purpose

but then the whole purpose of your deck becomes useless and your deck strength suffers for it

NR decks can counter with nenneke, but you can also run + hold summoning circle for their assire

that's about the only real way for a thinning deck to play against mill

mill naturally destroys decks that thin

that being said, mill decks tend to have poor tempo so out-tempo them early and try to 2 round them (also you have to hold out all your removal to deal with avallach or it's GG)

if it goes to the third round you basically lose, no matter how much card advantage you have

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I noticed the last few days it has taken me 6 games to get 6 round wins. I think my just-for-fun custom decks might need some refining... armor NR and spellatel is quite tough to beat without a nice optimized deck. I don't really mind playing against spellatel, it is just a shame that it feels like I'm playing against 70% armor NR.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, even if you're just loving around, having a deck with specific counters to the netdeck du jour is fairly important for your mental well being.

Those folks that refuse to run a single weather clear or targeted removal confuse the hell out of me.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm already bored of this patch, when is the next one?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

there's supposed to be some oktoberfest event, but oktoberfest already started so who knows when or if it will happen.

otherwise you're probably waiting til the end of october for thronebreaker :v:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
rethaz on the warpath today: https://www.reddit.com/user/rethaz/comments

Lots of stuff being mentioned offhand, like heavy cavalry is currently overtuned, Stennis will be nerfed and may become disloyal, wild hunt hounds might get a 1 point buff, Emhyr is the highest winrate leader on normal ladder, and tons of his usual combative stuff like:

quote:

In response to players net decking and how that has to do with whether something is powerful enough or not and the state of the game. From experience and witnessing it every patch I would say that you are incorrect, we can see the exponential uptake rate of specific decks after certain influencers decide this is what is "best", when in reality they could have created something else and deemed it the "best" and it would be believed to be so.

I would never have believed such quick and mass propagation was possible until seeing it with my own eyes.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah basically. ST was definitely overtuned, as evidenced by most of the nerfed cards recent resurgence with spellatael, but even "bad" decks in this game are still viable and can win lots of matches from unexpected plays or outcomes your opponent didn't play around. The point margins are pretty slim in this game, as evidenced by how often people can draw. A fact Rethaz himself mentioned on that subreddit recently. It's not like other card games where you're racing against a definite clock; you always get to play your cards, just not optimally.

Honestly NR doesn't feel that far off the mark. At this point I'm just hoping they settle down and focus on new card ideas and rebalancing golds post immunity-nerf, over more huge total overhauls.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

No Wave posted:

rethaz on the warpath today: https://www.reddit.com/user/rethaz/comments

Lots of stuff being mentioned offhand, like heavy cavalry is currently overtuned, Stennis will be nerfed and may become disloyal, wild hunt hounds might get a 1 point buff, Emhyr is the highest winrate leader on normal ladder, and tons of his usual combative stuff like:

Haha, I kind of assumed someone at CDPR took away his reddit account the last time he went combative with everyone and declared GwentUp's winrate statistics to be a total fabrication for some reason.

He's a such a hilarious contrast with Burza, someone whose job it is to talk to the community and thus doesn't get involved in dumb internet slap fights and instead just states how much he likes silly Gwent memes or assure us that issues are being "looked at".

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Subvisual Haze posted:

Haha, I kind of assumed someone at CDPR took away his reddit account the last time he went combative with everyone and declared GwentUp's winrate statistics to be a total fabrication for some reason.

He's a such a hilarious contrast with Burza, someone whose job it is to talk to the community and thus doesn't get involved in dumb internet slap fights and instead just states how much he likes silly Gwent memes or assure us that issues are being "looked at".

He was right about Gwentup though. King Bran was doing a lot better than the reports were showing.

But regardless more of these card games should have their lead designers talk trash to reddit fools.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
When does the season reset by the way? The 1st?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I don't think there's a set date, but it'll probably be the end of October/start of November.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Azran posted:

When does the season reset by the way? The 1st?

Presumably when Thronebreaker launches, which we don't know yet. November sounds like a good guess though. They'll want to get in a couple tournaments using these cards before they change the game again.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

This seasons ends on the 31st of October as per the schedule of the Gwent masters/Pro Ladder.

Thronebreaker is to be released when the game moves into full release. hopefully still this year but who knows at this point :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

5 games in a row against enemies packing scorch when I'm trying to play resilient Unseen Elder deck...don't tell me scorch is back and is going to be in every deck, I liked not having to be concerned about playing multiple same strength units like henselt -> drummers or multiple ghouls eating fiends.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 23, 2017