Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
That comic is amazing :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I, too, wish these people would speak more properly and professionally about my computer games and toys.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I kind of don't like the veneer of unprofessionalism Polygon has where they're so wacky and talk about inappropriate topics to rile each other. Seems like a bad work office environment. Three Brothers goofing around is one thing, these people work for a corporation, in an office!

It seems like it's constant pranks, innuendo, japes, sex jokes, and what have you over there and I guarantee there's at least a couple people who don't like it but will not speak up because they don't want to ruffle feathers or seem square.

The work environment Bay not even be like that, it might be perfectly professional, but it seems they definitely want to paint this occurred of a hip, anything goes, place.

I think it's important to keep in mind that the only time we see these people is when they make comedy videos to entertain us. Probably not representitive of what it's like every minute of every day.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ariong posted:

I think it's important to keep in mind that the only time we see these people is when they make comedy videos to entertain us. Probably not representitive of what it's like every minute of every day.

Yeah I agree, but on Twitter it seems they are often kind of jabbing at each other the same way, saying stuff like "I can't believe how baby times X shouted "gently caress" this morning!" Of course a lot of that is for show too.

I guess what I'm saying is I read Polygon for the articles.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I honestly thought that was a quote from a comments section somewhere

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Off topic but goddamn dude please proofread your posts. Your autocorrect is murdering you.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah I agree, but on Twitter it seems they are often kind of jabbing at each other the same way, saying stuff like "I can't believe how baby times X shouted "gently caress" this morning!" Of course a lot of that is for show too.

I guess what I'm saying is I read Polygon for the articles.

Do you think that their general friendliness toward each other and their fans somehow affects their reporting or reviewing or something? If you don't like how they do their podcasts or run their twitter accounts, just don't do them.

Also, please cancel your subscription to the Baby Times. I can't believe how many expletives it has, either.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just believe young people should not experience joy. They should have their hopes and dreams crushed daily and only experience joy in fleeting moments at home.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I just believe young people should not experience joy. They should have their hopes and dreams crushed daily and only experience joy in fleeting moments at home.

Good news: Every funny person you know has crippling depression

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Boston Live Show is up.

https://twitter.com/MBMBaM/status/909846178761646083

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Holy poo poo that sock question :allbuttons:

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Late to this but the revelation during Tower of Error that someone hacked Justin's OpenTable account in order to make him a reservation for one at Guy Fieri's restaurant is insane

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I absolutely cannot handle this Munch Squad :stare:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I kind of don't like the veneer of unprofessionalism Polygon has where they're so wacky and talk about inappropriate topics to rile each other. Seems like a bad work office environment. Three Brothers goofing around is one thing, these people work for a corporation, in an office!

It seems like it's constant pranks, innuendo, japes, sex jokes, and what have you over there and I guarantee there's at least a couple people who don't like it but will not speak up because they don't want to ruffle feathers or seem square.

The work environment Bay not even be like that, it might be perfectly professional, but it seems they definitely want to paint this occurred of a hip, anything goes, place.

loving millenials am I right.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I know it's a joke, but...

The center of the pizza is the pie, right?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
My thought was that Pizza Hut already gave us the perfect name for the center of a pizza, which would be the P'Zone.

But they wasted that on their calzone product, so...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

QuoProQuid posted:

I know it's a joke, but...

The center of the pizza is the pie, right?

No more than the apples in an apple pie are 'the pie'.

Do people not call pizza crusts 'pizza bones' normally, though? My family always called them that

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Guys, I think this is really Al Borland. :stare:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Guys, I think this is really Al Borland. :stare:

Search for mentions of his giant mother and his rear end in a top hat coworker.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Man, audience questions were very bad this time around. Like, the sock one was insane, of course, but everything else were minor inconveniences, or not problems at all. The "People think I look young" 18-year-old in particular was a real dumb one.

Hearing about the people dressing up and having apparent rituals and such at these shows makes me never want to attend one.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

SpacePig posted:

Man, audience questions were very bad this time around. Like, the sock one was insane, of course, but everything else were minor inconveniences, or not problems at all. The "People think I look young" 18-year-old in particular was a real dumb one.

Hearing about the people dressing up and having apparent rituals and such at these shows makes me never want to attend one.

Man you are really not gonna like the second Boston show

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

the fanbase is easily the worst thing about mcelroy content. That's actually true for most things, now that I think about it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The fans are pretty horrible. The gimmick fans who dress up go to every show. I tried to get a pair of Boston live show tickets that sold out in under five minutes. Later I learned the Final Pam superfan went to that show and the one in DC. Glad she got to go to two shows and I got to go to none. I was just trying to set up a nice evening with the girlfriend and a couple of friends.

Oh and the constant ads. As someone who has listened to nearly every episode I can clearly see more and more of the show goes to ad space as it develops. I skipped about 12 minutes of podcast the other day for ads. Not to mention the intro is a minute and the wrap up is usually 4-5 minutes.

I also have a strong suspicion Munch Squad is another plug somehow because the McElroys know their fans will go out and do whatever they make fun of.

The podcast's quality gets worse and worse as I get closer and closer to current day episodes for all of these reasons. They're still funny as hell and I'll pay for season 2 of the tv show if it ever happens, but I might fall off the podcast wagon here soon.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I always listen to the ads because they are good, funny reads, though I skip the pre-recorded ads. Don't need to hear Jesse Thorn introducing guests talking about how great an interviewer Jesse Thorn is for the hundredth time.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

um excuse me posted:

The fans are pretty horrible. The gimmick fans who dress up go to every show. I tried to get a pair of Boston live show tickets that sold out in under five minutes. Later I learned the Final Pam superfan went to that show and the one in DC. Glad she got to go to two shows and I got to go to none. I was just trying to set up a nice evening with the girlfriend and a couple of friends.

Oh and the constant ads. As someone who has listened to nearly every episode I can clearly see more and more of the show goes to ad space as it develops. I skipped about 12 minutes of podcast the other day for ads. Not to mention the intro is a minute and the wrap up is usually 4-5 minutes.

I also have a strong suspicion Munch Squad is another plug somehow because the McElroys know their fans will go out and do whatever they make fun of.

The podcast's quality gets worse and worse as I get closer and closer to current day episodes for all of these reasons. They're still funny as hell and I'll pay for season 2 of the tv show if it ever happens, but I might fall off the podcast wagon here soon.

you sound like a gigantic whiny baby

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"munch squad is stealth paid advertising" is a step away from "the mcelroys are putting chemtrails in the sky that make you donate to maxfun" in paranoid insanity

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Where's my Naked Egg Taco Munch Squad, Juice?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Nah, just my opinion. Thanks for that though, I guess.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I can't believe that lady stole my tickets. Who does she think she is? God, I bet she's a barista.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

um excuse me posted:

Nah, just my opinion. Thanks for that though, I guess.

I'm fully aware it's just your opinion, and my opinion is that complaining that a "super fan" got to go to a live show you didn't or suggesting a podcast is secretly selling people bad food by making fun of it is so loving ludicrous it deserves to be mocked

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It's just my opinion that the McElroys are taking secret kickbacks from fast food conglomerates to covertly advertise their products. I guess if you want to attack me because you disagree with my viewpoint, that's your perogative.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i think its fine to complain about someone buying tickets for both shows.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I mean if you claim to be a fan and act like a dick, it kind of makes you part of the problem. The brothers themselves have to correct the fan culture regularly with the "hey guys this is a joke don't actually do this" PSA pretty regularly. Not to mention they specifically asked fans not to buy tickets to more than one show in the past.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Okay, let me legit explain why I didn't like your post.

One, being mad at one particular fan because they got tickets to a live show and you didn't comes across as ridiculously entitled. Doubly so because I'm pretty sure that lady works/volunteers for the McElroys on their live shows; she came on stage before the Austin one and made some announcements. So, she probably doesn't even need tickets.

Two,

um excuse me posted:

is not a valid opinion, it is an accusation, and a ludicrous one.

um excuse me posted:

I mean if you claim to be a fan and act like a dick, it kind of makes you part of the problem. The brothers themselves have to correct the fan culture regularly with the "hey guys this is a joke don't actually do this" PSA pretty regularly. Not to mention they specifically asked fans not to buy tickets to more than one show in the past.

Your post didn't really mention the fandom in general at all though, you really only called out one person. The only problem you mentioned was buying tickets to multiple live shows, which I have not done.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 19, 2017

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ariong posted:

Okay, let me legit explain why I didn't like your post.

One, being mad at one particular fan because they got tickets to a live show and you didn't comes across as ridiculously entitled. Doubly so because I'm pretty sure that lady works/volunteers for the McElroys on their live shows; she came on stage before the Austin one and made some announcements. So, she probably doesn't even need tickets.

Two,

is not a valid opinion, it is an accusation, and a ludicrous one.

Your post didn't really mention the fandom in general at all though, you really only called out one person.

Believe it or not, I'm not trying to poo poo all over everyone. There are some fans generating awesome content and some even greater fans doing awesome charity work. But there are some who are ruining it for others. While the Final Pam person may be a specifically bad example, it was an immediately recognizable example to me (and to you, since you know who I am talking about), and let's not act like no one is going to more than one show, buying more than one ticket, shoehorning others from attending a show. I didn't know the final Pam fan works for the show because I can't get in to actually see one!

To satiate your specific interest about the complaint i have about the fandom in general, it seems like every other episode the bothers have to preemptively tell they audience not to tweet them about some specific detail about how what they said was wrong somehow and that they do indeed know the difference between the truth and what they said. I can imagine the constant vigilance to not offend someone is exhausting.

To be clear I'm no more entitled to see the show than the next person, hell I might be less entitled, but let's be a little considerate to people who might want to attend live shows. Do you disagree?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah I agree with that. It just came across like you were calling out one specific person. To me it read less like "I was unable to get tickets to a live show and am therefore miffed at people who go to multiple" and more like "that jerk stole my tickets." Hence my reaction. Sorry for misreading you like that.

Your original post didn't really mention any of that other fandom stuff, but if it did, I certainly wouldn't have called you out on it or anything. That's all perfectly valid, although I would argue that having to ask the fans to not tweet is not because of fandom obnoxiousness so much as fandom size. After all, if just 1% of the people who listen to a given MBMBaM episode decide to tweet at them about something, that's still 10,000 tweets.

Can you agree that the idea that they are doing secret advertisements for fast food companies is very silly? I mean, it's not like they're shy about sponsorships; they did an entire Totino's brand episode.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
And Casper episode. But it does seem a little :tinfoil: to call munch squad a stealth plug. Some things just haven't added up for me yet I guess. Like how they've made jokes about Arby's before yet Arby's goes and tweets about being sad TAZ ended. How do they stay on good terms with all of these corporations they target? Somebody might have a sense of humor but have you seen a corporate marketing team's idea of funny? Yeesh.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

um excuse me posted:

And Casper episode. But it does seem a little :tinfoil: to call munch squad a stealth plug. Some things just haven't added up for me yet I guess. Like how they've made jokes about Arby's before yet Arby's goes and tweets about being sad TAZ ended. How do they stay on good terms with all of these corporations they target? Somebody might have a sense of humor but have you seen a corporate marketing team's idea of funny? Yeesh.

https://www.google.com/search?q=daily+show+arby%27s

also the arby's twitter is run by some social media nerd(s) who tweet about everything from nier automata to obscure wrestler catchphrases, you are overthinking this

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

um excuse me posted:

Turns out corporate twitter accounts are run by the 20 year old intern because that seems to get them more followers and the middle aged people in marketing can't be bothered to learn how the gently caress to do it.

I also don't get complaining about the amount of time ads take up in a free product. You didn't pay for it. You're not getting less bang for your buck because there's no bucks. And the ads usually take up more time because they go on extended 10 minutes goofs about Deals Warlocks inside people's mouths. It's not like a solid ten minutes of ad copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

um excuse me posted:

Have you literally never seen an Arby's ad online? They're all nerd-related art made with their products