Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Blockhouse posted:

Gone Home was never presented as a horror game by the devs so sorry someone lied to you I guess?

The previews with Riot Grrl music and Christmas Duck were truly the stuff of nightmares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
You can beat the video game Myst in about a minute

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
You can beat Monkey Island 2 by hitting Ctrl-W at any point. And you can finish any movie in just a couple of minutes by skipping to the last scene.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Life hacks: watch everything at 1.2x speed

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I remember the old Monty Python game from 7th level let you win on the menu screen if you selected Get the Grail.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sakurazuka posted:

Life hacks: watch everything at 1.2x speed

Amateur. I set things running at 10x speed and then leave the house to do something else.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Blockhouse posted:

Gone Home was never presented as a horror game by the devs so sorry someone lied to you I guess?

Sorry Gone Home was such pretentious trash that it didn't know what it wanted to be and it gave me a lot of conflicting vibes I guess?

No really tho it felt like it was trying to be a ghost story sometimes and I probably just invented some memory of a trailer or something. The answer to the mystery of "why is your house empty" being "family vacation, nobody's home" was stupid as gently caress.

Whoever called it out about the girl stealing everything in the house being hosed up; agreed; also stupid how the lesbians were clearly written by straight people. The one girl is a big stompy tough military girl and the other one is the 'wife' because that's totally how gay people work, ones the boy and ones the girl

Fil5000 posted:

Amateur. I set things running at 10x speed and then leave the house to do something else.

I don't even watch the video or leave my house ever for max efficiency

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nice meltdown

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Gone Home annoyed me because it's about a girl burglarizing her family's home and running off and it's supposed to be heartwarming because ~*~young love~*~

gently caress off, they won't last a year

Maybe that's the real horror?

I got Gone Home cheaply and went into it completely blind, and I *loved* the bait and switch from "haunted house" to "oh its just old and creaky", but if I'd gone in expecting a proper horror game I think I'd have been pretty pissy about it.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Sakurazuka posted:

Nice meltdown

So you bought it for full price then?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got it on PS+ last year

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I remember the old Monty Python game from 7th level let you win on the menu screen if you selected Get the Grail.

Hahahaha

That's just great. I love it

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Don't poo poo Your Pants: A Survival Horror Adventure has an ending for losing before you start by typing "poo poo" instead of typing "start"

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Jukebox Hero posted:

also stupid how the lesbians were clearly written by straight people. The one girl is a big stompy tough military girl and the other one is the 'wife' because that's totally how gay people work, ones the boy and ones the girl

are you a lesbian

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

If you can't write a 3-page essay on the dad's childhood trauma and how he's dealing with it in Gone Home, you haven't beaten it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Gone Home is good. It is not horror. You people are pants making GBS threads babies

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Me to straight people:

Jukebox Hero posted:

also stupid how the lesbians were clearly written by straight people. The one girl is a big stompy tough military girl and the other one is the 'wife' because that's totally how gay people work, ones the boy and ones the girl

Me to other gay people:

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
One thing Gone Home did right: walking around an empty house where everything's been ransacked during a thunderstorm was really atmospheric and if that dev did something more horror-y I'd probably check it out based on my experiences of playing Gone Home, so I think that's a point in its favor.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I went to look for how Gone Home was actually presented before release, and holy wow Evardread's mock horror trailer for it is the second hit for a trailer of the game and that's pretty great.

Anyways, I think the backlash at launch was kind of understandable because the game ABSOLUTELY does a bait-and-switch with the horror-y atmosphere, if you don't know what kind of a game it's going to be that is. I'd imagine most people playing it when it was new were constantly expecting something to jump out or something, and the last time I played it for a bit I actually did pay attention to how much they gently caress with you and man, there are like footsteps, sounds of furniture being moved, and all sorts of spooky poo poo going on with the audio. Claiming that it never presented itself as a horror game is nuts

That said nowadays everyone knows what it really is so whether you like getting duped doesn't really matter anymore anyways.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Doesn't it end with you finding a satanic altar in a hidden room in the attic or something? Or am i getting my wires crossed?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
If Gone Home had kept that creepy vibe and gone in a different, horror direction, even with the exact same mechanics and gameplay I'd defend it and probably love it. Even the title has that horror tone.

I'd probably only sell it for five bucks or thereabouts though.

The story's homosexual component felt almost calculated to deter criticism considering the defined gender roles of the couple; the 'masculine' one could have been a man and very little would change, but it still got praised for it. If you ever saw any of them in person it might be different but that would also require it to be basically a different genre. I'm not upset it had gay people in it, I just wish the writing made it matter more than it did.

So I guess I don't hate Gone Home and that's why it pissed me off so much, because it was an accidental bait and switch(because I thought the game about abandoned house + thunderstorm + 'where is my family' was at least a thriller for some reason) by the developers, who should make a horror game and if they have somebody should show me it.

Jukebox Hero fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 18, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Drunken Baker posted:

Doesn't it end with you finding a satanic altar in a hidden room in the attic or something? Or am i getting my wires crossed?

Lonnie and Sam believe the house is haunted and make a seance altar behind the staircase to commune with the spirit of their dead uncle. It's not presented in a scary way however.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Ah, I'm glad I wasn't going completely bonkers there.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

did some of y'all really get so mad that there wasn't a 2 second jumpscare at the end of a game that wasn't even marketed as a horror game, lmao

Jukebox Hero posted:

The story's homosexual component

you sound like you're straight and i'm not sure what you're trying to get at here, especially when lgbt people barely have anything to lay claim to when it comes to videogames that don't arbitrarily kill off the gay or bisexual people

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jukebox Hero posted:

The one girl is a big stompy tough military girl and the other one is the 'wife' because that's totally how gay people work, ones the boy and ones the girl

I don't understand this complaint, the game isn't stating that this is every gay couple in the world, it's just the way the couple in the game are portrayed. Do couples like this not exist or something?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Gone Home annoyed me because it's about a girl burglarizing her family's home and running off and it's supposed to be heartwarming because ~*~young love~*~

gently caress off, they won't last a year

That point was fairly believable and was a common early 90s trope. The military girl hosed up though because she literally deserts which I don't think the authors intended.

I enjoyed Gone Home but I don't know how the writers meant for you to relate to the truly awful characters. The main girl has a college scholarship, her parents pass off her sexuality as a fad but still love her and want to connect, and the first person she comes out to, someone whose video game she stole, instantly accepts her. Am I supposed to sympathize with these people? Because they are the poster children of privileged spoiled brats.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

HOT TAKE: Playing Gone Home is better than watching e-sports.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Anatomy is pretty good

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

al-azad posted:

That point was fairly believable and was a common early 90s trope. The military girl hosed up though because she literally deserts which I don't think the authors intended.

I enjoyed Gone Home but I don't know how the writers meant for you to relate to the truly awful characters. The main girl has a college scholarship, her parents pass off her sexuality as a fad but still love her and want to connect, and the first person she comes out to, someone whose video game she stole, instantly accepts her. Am I supposed to sympathize with these people? Because they are the poster children of privileged spoiled brats.

That was kind of a point of the story though, how they threw their lives to the wind for the sake of love but it really wasn't sustainable. They got money by jacking a lot of her parent's stuff, the military girl is on the run, and none of it was sustainable. It was a bit of a note on the stupid romance of teenaged years, how it seems so pure and perfect when you don't have to deal with reality.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That was kind of a point of the story though, how they threw their lives to the wind for the sake of love but it really wasn't sustainable. They got money by jacking a lot of her parent's stuff, the military girl is on the run, and none of it was sustainable. It was a bit of a note on the stupid romance of teenaged years, how it seems so pure and perfect when you don't have to deal with reality.

I don't feel like that was the intention, though. Especially when it ends on the positive note. It builds up as the story of a troubled teen who feels out of place and runs away with her girlfriend but it really comes off as an obnoxious prick who has EVERYTHING and runs away from it all and the writing makes it seem like we're supposed to applaud this.

Meanwhile everyone else is not only struggling, they're overcoming their issues. The father finds new life when his book is republished. Their marriage is strengthened by what we assume to be successful counciling, and the mother rejects a coworker's advances. Everyone else is doing well and they're repaid with thievery and lies.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jukebox Hero posted:

Don't poo poo Your Pants: A Survival Horror Adventure has an ending for losing before you start by typing "poo poo" instead of typing "start"

You can beat Far Cry 4 in 15 minutes if you just sit at the dinner table and wait for Pagan Min to come back.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the story is entirely meant to be about a couple of teenagers who make a spur of the moment decision because they feel they don't have any other chance at what they have, you goddamn goons

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I'm trying to recall, but did someone in this thread say that LocalHost was an entertaining horror experience? I was poking around on itch.io and thought someone had brought up that game in here.

Also has anyone ever played this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emMlANGsxbU cause it looks pretty interesting as well. Sadly, outside of kittyhorrorshow's games, I don't hear much in the way of horror games off itch.io that aren't terrible.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That was me who brought up local host. :D

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I've never played Gone Home and boy every time it comes up it sounds like the most boring and pointless thing ever so I'm glad I made that decision.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
If I wanted to play a game about some kids loving up and destroying their parents work I'd play Myst.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Bogart posted:

Anatomy is pretty good

Pro-buy. The game really knew how to make the mundane really unsettling.

EDIT: LocalHost seems interesting, I think I'll give it a try.

Is the game really only half an hour long?

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 18, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

exploded mummy posted:

If I wanted to play a game about some kids loving up and destroying their parents work I'd play Myst.

Personally I'd go with God of War. :v:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Gone Home had good atmosphere and I wish the devs would follow up with a genuine horror title because they have good instincts regarding that. Otherwise it's can be hard to sympathize with upper middle class kids running away from home especially with the US's current economic problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I thought Fullbright nailed the ambiance of nosing through a house when nobody was home pretty dead-on, theres nothing spooky at all it's just an empty house.
The second game they made, Tacoma, is yet more walkin and nosing through peoples' stuff.
It's like when people thought Firewatch was a horror game.