Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inescapable Duck posted:

Horror is popular, Stephen King is popular and writes a lot of relatively short-form stuff that lends itself to adaptations (usually), writes shitloads of stuff so there's a lot to choose from, and seems happy to sign off film rights to whoever, presumably because even if some adaptations stink there's good ones by Sturgeon's Law.

IIRC, he wasn't a fan of The Shining or at least said it deviated a lot from his book, while his reaction to the ending of The Mist was basically 'drat, I wish I'd thought of that'.

He didn't care how Kubrick downplayed the supernatural element of his book(which is one of his best books, so I get where he's coming from).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Phlegmish posted:

Come on JoelJoel tell us how many books he wrote

http://stephenking.com/library/written.html

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Selling the film rights to your work is also a fantastic way to support a crippling alcohol and drug addiction.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
John Carptenter's The Thing is the best horror movie :colbert:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Rayjenkins posted:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Rayjenkins posted:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rayjenkins posted:

The Exorcist :colbert:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rayjenkins posted:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sorry, but I've still got a soft spot that sleeps with the lights on for the original Alien.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Steven King isn't a real person, you idiots. Nobody can write that much. The body of work attributed to Steven King was written by the one true historical Steven King as well as many other ghost writers who wrote in his style and and had their works published under his name as a marketing tactic. He's like the mall Santa of modern literature.

The real Steven King died when he got hit by a car in an alcohol and cocaine induced haze in the 80's.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Rayjenkins posted:

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

twoday posted:

Steven King isn't a real person, you idiots.

If only this were true... the last couple books in The Dark Tower series would be much easier to defend.

also

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Randaconda posted:

Does it dethrone Shawshank as the best Stephen King movie?

Don't worry, Shawshank remains the only Steven King movie that you can say is good without a "but...".

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

twoday posted:

Steven King isn't a real person, you idiots. Nobody can write that much. The body of work attributed to Steven King was written by the one true historical Steven King as well as many other ghost writers who wrote in his style and and had their works published under his name as a marketing tactic. He's like the mall Santa of modern literature.

To many people to have them all write about Maine. Doesn't check out. Someone would have gone rogue.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twoday posted:

The real Steven King died when he got hit by a car in an alcohol and cocaine induced haze in the 80's.

That does remind me of my favorite "WTF" conspiracy theory, that King was the guy who actually shot Reagan.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Rayjenkins posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds4fqgwp4Ig

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Who What Now posted:

Don't worry, Shawshank remains the only Steven King movie that you can say is good without a "but...".

Dude. The Mist.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bombadilillo posted:

Dude. The Mist.

The Mist is fine!

But...

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Who What Now posted:

Shining
Carrie
Dead Zone
Misery
Stand By Me

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Who What Now posted:

I'd probably add "but is wildly overrated" to the end of it.

Shining and Stand By Me are both better movies, too.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
And listen. Dead Zone is my favorite DBZ movie, don't get me wrong. But...

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Bombadilillo posted:

Dude. The Mist.

I like The Mist, but...

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

PYF Funny Pictures 2.0: Book Club

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_Baby?wprov=sfti1

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I heard we sometimes like funny pictures ITT

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

twoday posted:

George RR Martin account spotted. Where are the pages George

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Who What Now posted:

Uh oh. Sounds like someone hasn't seen Maximum Overdrive

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

Dude. The Mist.

The Mist is a decent movie ruined by a lovely, manipulative ending.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

It was horrifying because it suggests that the crazy woman was right all along.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skippy McPants posted:

:goonsay:
What? That ending is fine, sorry every movie can't have a happy ending with a dance party.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The MSJ posted:

It was horrifying because it suggests that the crazy woman was right all along.

It was crap because it warped the established characters and bent them over backward for the sake of having a ~*TWIST*~.

Randaconda posted:

:goonsay:
What? That ending is fine, sorry every movie can't have a happy ending with a dance party.

I don't care about happy. I care about characters being visibly manipulated by the plot for the sake of an emotional gut-punch.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skippy McPants posted:

It was crap because it warped the established characters and bent them over backward for the sake of having a ~*TWIST*~.

I don't care about happy. I care about characters being visibly manipulated by the plot for the sake of an emotional gut-punch.

Which didn't happen at all. So again, :goonsay:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Randaconda posted:

Which didn't happen at all. So again, :goonsay:

Okay, again, not the thread for this, but the movie falls apart for me when David shoots everyone. Up till that point, he was the one fighting against all odds, and he just gives up when they, what? Run out of gas? He doesn't even wait for the monsters to show up in force. I understand what they were going for, but they didn't do enough to sell the transition into nihilism, in my opinion. It felt like a manipulation engineered for the sake of a gotcha ending.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Jesus Christ, you loving goons ruin everything

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

null_pointer posted:

Jesus Christ, you loving goons ruin everything

A fair point,

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

If I've heard right, Carpenter loved this when someone showed it to him.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

When I stop and think about it, I'm always a bit mystified at how many of King's works have an adaptation. Just look at this fuckin' list,

And that's just the motion picture stuff. What is is about his stories that makes them so lusted after by film producers?

It's cause King sells the tv/film adaptation rights to his stories for $1, and that's no joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Parrotine posted:

It's cause King sells the tv/film adaptation rights to his stories for $1, and that's no joke

Not the novels, and the short stories he does sell for a dollar have strings attached.