Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Black-ish owns and you just happened to catch a really bad episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The bit with Kimmel and Colbert was spot-on. Why is a show that does 30 episodes a year competing with one that does 200?

There's way more TV than there was even 5 years ago. Add some more categories so more shows get recognized. Make the show fun. And don't spend half the night on the Limited Series categories which are almost always weak.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Black-ish does, in fact, own. I don't remember the episode in question but it sounds like one of the "Dre gets up his own rear end" episodes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Niwrad posted:

My problem with some of the awards is shows that have 20 episodes are competing with shows that have 8. Veep is nice and all but if they had to put out as many episodes as Blackish, would it still be good? Maybe the category should be split into short and long season.

What's the last major "prestige"(-ish) drama that even had 22 episode seasons? Good Wife?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zoux posted:

I saw a bunch of episodes from the first season too when it started, and it didn't do much to convince me it was worth keeping up with.

IRQ posted:

Black-ish does, in fact, own. I don't remember the episode in question but it sounds like one of the "Dre gets up his own rear end" episodes.

It was either the season premiere for last year or the year before, I can't remember which. Last year I think. I decided to give it another shot and boy was that a poor decision on my behalf.

e: Yeah, last year. 3x01

quote:

Dre takes the family to Walt Disney World and wants the kids to have the experience he never had, so he gets them a VIP tour. The kids get spoiled from bypassing lines all day and, when their VIP time is up, they get bratty when they now have to wait like everyone else. After calling them out on their ungrateful attitudes, Dre has an outburst and leaves them. Meanwhile, Bow ends up spending the day with Dre's parents since she can't ride most of the attractions due to her pregnancy.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Do you dislike Fresh Off the Boat too?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Get this, I like Orville.

Also, Black-ish is good but god drat it I'm still pissed The Carmichael show is dead. It blew Black-ish away and it was a multi-camera sitcom why in the gently caress.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

It's the season 3 premiere, I also didn't watch it because it was an ad for Disneyworld.

But if you wanna know why Anthony Anderson got nominated for an Emmy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvykfyGTnbQ

But also it's really funny!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Timby posted:

After Hulu cleaning up at the Emmys the way it did last night, I imagine there were some chairs being thrown at Netflix's offices this morning.

I'm disappointed that Amazon, which is taking way more chances than either Netflix or Hulu, is getting little to no attention from anyone (well, other than here).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
it's extra sad, because Amazon is going to stop taking chances and try for more mainstream appeal, which is super lame.

It has had some really great stuff in the last few years.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Snak posted:

it's extra sad, because Amazon is going to stop taking chances and try for more mainstream appeal, which is super lame.

It has had some really great stuff in the last few years.

The Tick, Patriot, and Sneaky Pete are three of my five favorite shows of the last year. Amazon's stuff is fantastic.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Tick, Patriot, and Sneaky Pete are three of my five favorite shows of the last year. Amazon's stuff is fantastic.

Throw in Fleabag in there too. Again, I was really wowed by it, and it came out of nowhere for me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also Jean Claude Van Johnson is supposed to be coming too.

15 seconds in ep2 of the Orville and I'm sold. I hope this thing runs for 7 seasons.

edit: oh my god the intro.

Also I'm pretty sure they just put all star trek music in a blender to make the music for this show, so that it's both plagiarizing every theme at once, and not quite any of them.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 18, 2017

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Snak posted:

Also Jean Claude Van Johnson

The pilot for that won me over in the first few minutes with the coconut water thing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IRQ posted:

Do you dislike Fresh Off the Boat too?

Nope, that show is far better. Constance Wu is amazing.

And yes, Carmichael Show was great and always overlooked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Amazon isn't necessarily focussing on mainstream appeal, they are focusing on international appeal to grow Prime outside the US.

They specifically mentioned that stuff like "The Tick" is what they are shooting for.

They cancelled two expensive Fitzgerald period pieces that had little appeal outside of the US.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Is Comrade Detective coming back for a season 2? I sure hope so.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Amazon isn't necessarily focussing on mainstream appeal, they are focusing on international appeal to grow Prime outside the US.

They specifically mentioned that stuff like "The Tick" is what they are shooting for.

They cancelled two expensive Fitzgerald period pieces that had little appeal outside of the US.

Someone said in this thread that their new corporate mandate was "make game of thrones". I don't have a source, so maybe that's wrong. I just read that here the other day.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Snak posted:

Someone said in this thread that their new corporate mandate was "make game of thrones". I don't have a source, so maybe that's wrong. I just read that here the other day.

I saw that in a few articles as well. Waiting to hear which book series they buy the rights to.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Snak posted:

Variety posted:

And he doesn’t mince words about his interest in finding a show that packs the wallop of HBO’s “Game of Thrones.”

“I do think ‘Game of Thrones’ is to TV as ‘Jaws’ and ‘Star Wars’ was to the movies of the 1970s,” Price said. “It’ll inspire a lot of people. Everybody wants a big hit and certainly that’s the show of the moment in terms of being a model for a hit.”

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GreenNight posted:

I saw that in a few articles as well. Waiting to hear which book series they buy the rights to.

I could go for a First Law Trilogy series. It's way better than A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones, in my opinion. I burned out on ASoIaF after the third book/endless wait for the fourth.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

I'm not gonna lie, Wheel of Time with a GoT level budget would be pretty great. Especially if keep it as sleezy as the source material and try to outdo GoT/Rome.

Also I love The Orville. I love that I've seen this plot in like at least 2 actual trek shows. Both the A and the B plot.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

I'm surprised we haven't seen more networks try it. Didn't Robert Jordan's estate have the rights to wheel of time revert to them not too long ago?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Wheel of Time wouldn't be bad if they cut down all the bullshit. The books have way way way too much needless garbage in them.

I'd like to see them take a stab at Dresdin Files. Scifi botched that one.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've watched half of Deadwood (literally half, farthest I ever got has been 1/2 of season 2, twice). Thinking it's time to do the whole drat thing finally

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Is Comrade Detective coming back for a season 2? I sure hope so.

IDK I feel like they were running the joke into the ground by the end of the first season.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Wheel of Time wouldn't be bad if they cut down all the bullshit. The books have way way way too much needless garbage in them.

I'd like to see them take a stab at Dresdin Files. Scifi botched that one.

I quit reading after like book 8, and I feel like you could get a solid 4 seasons out of those 8 books. 5 if they make the characters actually interesting, 4 if they go purely plot driven.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm honestly surprised that no one has taken a run at Kolchak since the X-Files.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

GreenNight posted:

Amazon (along with Apple) is apparently pitching hard to get the rights to James Bond.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

I quit reading after like book 8, and I feel like you could get a solid 4 seasons out of those 8 books. 5 if they make the characters actually interesting, 4 if they go purely plot driven.

There's a few books in the middle there that just DRAG, but if you power through it gets good again. The end was pretty good too.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

There's a few books in the middle there that just DRAG, but if you power through it gets good again. The end was pretty good too.

Yeah, but character developement ideas from them could easily be condensed into the major plot lines.

Bonus points is that you'd have an entire season that is just the plot of Dune.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The problem with wanting the next GoT is that a studio asking for the 'next' anything has never worked.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Snak posted:

They'll never do it in the binge streaming format. Half the fun of GoT is everyone watching on Sunday night and talking about the episode the next day (or the same night online). I love binge watching but I think there is a ceiling as to how big a show can get in that format. GoT is a TV event moreso than a show at this point.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

The problem with wanting the next GoT is that a studio asking for the 'next' anything has never worked.

Of course not.

Because they want a surface level copy and aren't willing to budget the time and money to make a quality product. I remember all the "next Lost" shows.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Niwrad posted:

Netflix has a lot of good shows, it just doesn't really have great shows. Maybe The Crown fits in that mold but their next biggest prestige drama is House of Cards which is complete garbage now. They still won a bunch of awards and were nominated for a bunch more.

My problem with some of the awards is shows that have 20 episodes are competing with shows that have 8. Veep is nice and all but if they had to put out as many episodes as Blackish, would it still be good? Maybe the category should be split into short and long season.

Also I'd be fine with a "Dramedy" category. Transparent, Master of None shouldn't be competing with Veep. Different kinds of shows.

Netflix has plenty of great shows, they're just not the ones on the Emmy Awards' radar, except for Master of None. Lady Dynamite is AMAZING. Dear White People and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt are stellar, in my opinion.
They've struggled to produce an actually great dramatic show, though. Stranger Things is better than the prestige poo poo they put out, but it has its own issues.

and then BoJack Horseman is a stone-dead TV classic in the making.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Nah, it's like your batsignal.

Whatever the reason, Netflix shows have pacing issues and, at the very least, every Marvel show has run into the same problem. Even JESSICA JONES, which I liked a lot, stumbles while it spins it's wheels.

13 REASONS WHY runs into repetition issues the more it goes on until it gets to the end. I don't watch HOUSE OF CARDS so I can't say if it's the same for them.

So, either the writers need to get better at writing for binge watchers, or Netflix (or whoever is making them) need to experiment more.

I call it the prestige show binge problem. Each episode still needs to be its own thing. If an episode doesn't even have a drat theme it's a structure problem. It's one of the reasons Stranger Things stands out, because it does not have this problem.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Spatula City posted:

Netflix has plenty of great shows, they're just not the ones on the Emmy Awards' radar, except for Master of None.

The Crown got 13 nominations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Amazon (along with Apple) is apparently pitching hard to get the rights to James Bond.

Whoever buys Bonds rights is an idiot if they don't do an expanded universe. Hear me out. The movies are just the movies. But make a limited series (8 or 10) episode series that's about 003 or 009 and have it be a female agent. Each season could focus on a single long arc while also doing episode of the week. It's 24 meets meets The Americans meets Bond.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

LionArcher posted:

I call it the prestige show binge problem. Each episode still needs to be its own thing. If an episode doesn't even have a drat theme it's a structure problem. It's one of the reasons Stranger Things stands out, because it does not have this problem.

Sepinwall has written a few times about the joys of standalone episodes and I think it's something that is being phased out completely now everyone wants to do the dreaded 13 hour movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm glad they are spreading around the streaming company Emmys, the more platforms striving to make award winning TV series the better.

• Locked thread