Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Except for the co-op areas all of the DLC's are very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Oh I forgot about shrine of Amana, that area was awesome before they nerfed it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Drangleic is a land of contrasts

I didn't fault it as much for "cohesion" as for abandoning the interconnected layout for more of a hub-and-spoke setup. You pick one of several paths away from Majula and follow it to the point where it ends, passing through a linear series of destinations exclusive to that path. Constantly discovering inter-area shortcuts and spatial relationships was a big part of DS1 and I missed it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Be posi and list things you liked about dark souls 2. For me:

The sex change coffin.
Lighting all the torches in the gutter and then looking back to see them.
The iron keep is a castle sinking into a volcano, that's cool.
The dlc was good.

That's what I got right now

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the sex change coffin was cool and uh

i guess that shipyard area was ok and pursuers are fun to fight

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

haveblue posted:

Drangleic is a land of contrasts

I didn't fault it as much for "cohesion" as for abandoning the interconnected layout for more of a hub-and-spoke setup. You pick one of several paths away from Majula and follow it to the point where it ends, passing through a linear series of destinations exclusive to that path. Constantly discovering inter-area shortcuts and spatial relationships was a big part of DS1 and I missed it.
That reminds me of one of the issues I had with Bloodborne- they finally go back to having fairly interconnected level design but it never feels like it because you're always having to teleport to the Hunter's Dream just to do even basic tasks like leveling up.

In general I'm not fond of these games' obsession with having to talk to a boring NPC to level up. Demon's Souls was the only time it sort of was almost interesting because they straight up take her away at the end of the game.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

No man's wharf was cool, maybe dark souls 2 should've been all pirates.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that's why ds1 was cool, you could just level up anywhere and it was a good reason to not just let you teleport to any bonfire right from the start while also removing something that just ends up being an annoying inconvenience

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

That basilisk trap at the entrance to the woods was really good

Their implementation of curse was cool, especially that portrait of the queen later on.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played them all out of order but I preferred DS2 to 1 because non of the areas in 2 were as bad as the zero effort later areas in 1 and they got rid of most of the awful crafting stuff and having five different blacksmiths that did different things and poo poo. Demons and Bloodborne are better than all the Darks though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah being able to teleport to whatever bonfire whenever you wanted was cool too.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

lets hang out posted:

Be posi and list things you liked about dark souls 2.

It wasn't as bad as DS3

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

lets hang out posted:

The sex change coffin.
The dlc was good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRTfcMeqhig

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think they're all good games and better than like 90% of other games though, even Dark Souls 3

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I think they're all good games and better than like 90% of other games though, even Dark Souls 3

Same. Also pre patch Amana was hilarious.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wish there was an easy way to give people the experience of playing king's field without having to play it or watch it be played because watching it is boring as gently caress and playing it is only interesting if you are like me and get yourself really hooked by the game's aesthetic. KF1 was a largely "linear" game where you progressed from floor to floor, with each floor being a new open area to explore as you tried to solve its puzzles. KF2 was far more interconnected, including various shortcuts and teleporting to get around, as well as housing several secret and optional areas you never actually needed to go to but were there if you wanted to go find them. KF3 was more of a linear thing to some degree, going back to KF1's style of "you are in this hub area that branches off, when you complete all of these areas you can move on to the next hub" except you'd gain fast travel abilities so you'd move to the end of one branch and be able to move on to another branch of the path, as well as possibly discovering secret areas once you complete your main goal.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

I remember watching a guy named lobosjr play through the game when DS2 first came out and man, Amana at release was amazing lmao.

Thanks Amana was also an amazing thread title.

Some of the DLC's side content looked like bullshit though. Frigid Outskirts in particular sticks out as looking just absolutely dreadful to play.

Disclaimer: haven't played dark souls 2, can't run it/don't own it and I've only ever watched streams and poo poo of it.

Frigid Outskirts was one of those places that was designed to be played through co-op. I guess I can appreciate the idea but I didn't like it because I don't like Souls co-op. My favorite weapon in the whole series is from a boss soul in that place too.

People complain a lot about bad area in DS2, but the bad areas in DS1 were even worse.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The sex change coffin pre-patch when it didn't warn you that something had changed and you might play for hours before noticing.

The boss fight that was you vs a swarm of 100 rats

The guy whose quest sent you into the underworld to fight the ghosts of DS1 characters

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I played Kings Field 1 (the Japanese one, with an English patch) last year and liked it a lot. I want to play kf2 (kf1 in the West) but when I emulate it it constantly swings from running way too slow to running way too fast and I don't know if it's an emulator problem or just how the game is but it sucks

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Actually, thinking about it, it's kind of interesting how the souls series mimics king's field in terms of design elements.

KF1 is very hub-based with you moving from one hub to the next, solving one area before moving on to the next and from there, the next. Very similar to Demon's progression.

KF2 had a far more interconnected world with you being able to find shortcuts and paths all over since the game took place on an island where all of the content was very tightly compacted. There were more than a few spots where you could look somewhere and see another portion of the level (though not to the degree of dark souls due to draw distance, and also due to so much of the game's content being contained underground within the island). It's neat how you can travel around and feel the various complex pieces of geometry of the island slot into place, similar to Dark Souls.

KF3 opted for the less vertical exploration of KF2 and more horizontal exploration. You're often presented with a variety of branching paths that will take you to various hubs that will take you to more branching paths, but said paths won't meet up anywhere, so you'll just reach a point where you've explored it all and completed it and it's like "okay, time to warp back now that I've explored and looted this area and gained something to help me continue along back in the main hub" similar to Dark Souls 2, except in Dark Souls 2 you could go in any direction from the start iirc while in king's field 3, you are funneled through various mandatory dungeons before being allowed to pick what direction you'd like to go in, then after exhausting your choices, you get funneled through another mandatory area before being given free roam again.

I never played King's Field 4 so I don't know how it would compare to Dark Souls 3.

I also haven't played either shadow tower game so I'm not sure how they'd compare either, given that Shadow Tower Abyss was basically "what if King's Field was more about being on the offensive" so it gave you guns which certainly sounds familiar to Bloodborn's "what if Souls games were more about being on the offensive?"

Shadow Tower on PS1 I think was in the same vein as the first King's Field game in that you progressed from level to level, clearing out whatever dungeon you're on before moving on. It also had a shield to block with, iirc, compared to KF1-3 having shields as just an equip item that you didn't need to worry about using. They were just for stats.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 18, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

haveblue posted:

The execution of that encounter is perfect

The giant rat Sif parody was almost as cool

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

haveblue posted:

I once did that fight fists-only, no vanquisher's seal :sludgepal:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

kite, you gotta play kf4 its really good

lets hang out posted:

The sex change coffin.
The dlc was good.

the rat king covenant is probably the best covenant in the series, its a lot of fun

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

let's not forget that ds2 perfected the comment system of its predecessors

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't have a ps2 right now or anything that can play ps2 stuff so I'd have to get a copy of the game and run it through an emulator and hope I can set up decent enough kb&m controls to get through King's Field 4 in a reasonable fashion :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This video is still so hilariously petty. Dude is just not willing to say "I like it and other reviewers didn't" and leave it at that

edit: Like imagine being so insecure in your opinion that you go out of your way to say "no this specific guy was wrong in all these ways that I am right" because you just cannot stand the thought of people listening to him instead of you

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why was that video made in 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I only clicked on it by accident but it's 80 minutes long lmao

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oh its that dude, I don't like that dude

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Isn't hbomberguy the name of a poster on SA?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He has a couple good points, Dark Souls 2 is still one of the best games ever made even if it's the least good Dark Souls game, but good luck weeding out why he actually thinks that inbetween his spastic bouts of "matthewmatosis is wrong don't listen to him pepe silvia pepe silvia!!"

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't have a ps2 right now or anything that can play ps2 stuff so I'd have to get a copy of the game and run it through an emulator and hope I can set up decent enough kb&m controls to get through King's Field 4 in a reasonable fashion :v:

KF4 emulates like poo poo I'm sorry to say

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No one asked but I'm going to rank the Dark Souls games, please remember that this is all opinion, don't get angry!

Dark Souls games > video games

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dark Souls is not a game in that it does not have a lose condition.

It does, however, kick rear end.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

exquisite tea posted:

Isn't hbomberguy the name of a poster on SA?

They are the same person, yes.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
There's not 80 minutes of things to talk about in Dark Souls 2

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I rank the entire Dark Souls series as somewhere above Dino Crisis, but below Super Monkey Ball 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Dark Souls games are great but I don't really like playing them blind or even attempting bosses without summons.

• Locked thread