Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

It's been a while, but wasn't that always part of the plot including being able to see nibbler's shadow from the outset

that's a lil difs

It goes a lot further though, several iterations of Bender are also there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hey! That's not an example of a prequel, that's an example of foreshadowing within a self contained story!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Perhaps because ... he's a battered housetroll? I mean, come on, Xefros had a career path all planned, and he was going to be a baseball player and probably die in the process, but he was good with that. Dammek told him he had to be a butler instead. Xefros also repeats some unpleasant things Dammek said to him about his worthlessness. Xefros is excited at his birthday party because Dammek let him eat half of his own pizza. Finally, Dammek took his drat hoverboard and never gave it back.

Okay, I haven't played the game so I don't know the context, but isn't encouraging someone not to play a sport where they'll almost certainly DIE a good thing? Like, if the only two options are A) butler and B) deathball I feel like encouraging butler as a career path is the moral option.

Not defending the other stuff though.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
it's almost as if troll society is not human society and is extremely hosed up by basically god-empress nicki minaj

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Hey! That's not an example of a prequel, that's an example of foreshadowing within a self contained story!

Okay, I haven't played the game so I don't know the context, but isn't encouraging someone not to play a sport where they'll almost certainly DIE a good thing? Like, if the only two options are A) butler and B) deathball I feel like encouraging butler as a career path is the moral option.

Not defending the other stuff though.
Because Xephros is a burgundyblood, he's at immense risk of being culled either way, as a butler or as a ballplayer. Dammek mindgames him into being a butler because (A) Dammek wants a butler and (B) he wants Xephros to be in his two-butler garage band. At least as a ballplayer, Xephros had a chance of making it big.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Clawtopsy posted:

it's almost as if troll society is not human society and is extremely hosed up by basically god-empress nicki minaj

everybody knows shes a mother fuckin monsta

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Because Xephros is a burgundyblood, he's at immense risk of being culled either way, as a butler or as a ballplayer. Dammek mindgames him into being a butler because (A) Dammek wants a butler and (B) he wants Xephros to be in his two-butler garage band. At least as a ballplayer, Xephros had a chance of making it big.

I dunno, from what you've been saying and from what I've been reading else where it seems like Dammek is intentionally keeping Xephros too busy to practice deathball (or whatever it's called) because he doesn't want Xephros to die. The butler training and band practice are all just an elaborate ruse to prevent Xephros from committing suicide by sports. I'm not saying it's a good plan, but it's coming from a good place of "I don't want my friend to die".

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I suspect Dammek will prove to be a more likable character if only because we're going to be playing as him for half of the chapters. But who knows.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I dunno, from what you've been saying and from what I've been reading else where it seems like Dammek is intentionally keeping Xephros too busy to practice deathball (or whatever it's called) because he doesn't want Xephros to die. The butler training and band practice are all just an elaborate ruse to prevent Xephros from committing suicide by sports. I'm not saying it's a good plan, but it's coming from a good place of "I don't want my friend to die".

Yeah playing deathball when your opponents can lift buildings with their psychic powers and you can barely bend a spoon sounds like a bad idea.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Tunicate posted:

Yeah playing deathball when your opponents can lift buildings with their psychic powers and you can barely bend a spoon sounds like a bad idea.

Hey, Willie Bloomquist had a long and successful tedious career in major league ball and he had nearly no physical assets to speak of.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cabbit posted:

Hey, Willie Bloomquist had a long and successful tedious career in major league ball and he had nearly no physical assets to speak of.

You also don't get killed in Major League Baseball unless something goes REALLY wrong

The only way people don't die in Death Ball is if something goes REALLY wrong

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bobulus posted:

Also, because I am a huge dork, I appreciate the number of actual 80s/90s toys and shows included that were part of my childhood. Teddy Ruxpin, Lite Brite, a Lord English version of the He-man Skull Castle, Clarissa Explains It All. Who knew anyone else remembered Puppy Surprise??? (I got three puppies)

My parents say that when I was a young child and Teddy Ruxpin commercials would come on the TV that I would start uncontrollably sobbing. Something about it apparently scared the poo poo out of me.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Burkion posted:

You also don't get killed in Major League Baseball unless something goes REALLY wrong

The only way people don't die in Death Ball is if something goes REALLY wrong

Which is a shame because, again, Willie Bloomquist had a long career.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I enjoyed that episode quite a bit. It definitely feels like the game they should've made in the first place years ago, and it's only too bad they had to go through so many bad starts to get there. I find myself hoping they do manage to put out a few episodes, but I'm skeptical they'll pull in the funds to do it. It's a pity, since I think it stood well enough on its own as a little indie adventure game and if it wasn't carrying the weight of a years-long debacle on its back it'd probably be pretty well-received.

Still, it felt like a fun little Homestuck game and I guess that's what they were always looking to make. I also liked that it leaned more toward Early Acts Homestuck that was more about adventure games and messing around reading text about rubbing the wrong objects on the wrong things.

Now as for the game itself, Joey, Jude and Xefros were all pretty fun. I liked the way the game implemented chatting, it brought back some old Homestuck pesterlog memories. None of the puzzles were particularly challenging or gratifying but they gave you an excuse to wander around and read some fun text, so they were okay. The little combat minigames could maybe use a little work, they're an interesting concept but felt a little shallow - more puzzling there would be welcome.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 17, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Yeah the writing was okay, but there's no actual puzzles in the game and no sylladex shenanigans so 0/10, poo poo game.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tenebrais posted:

I suspect Dammek will prove to be a more likable character if only because we're going to be playing as him for half of the chapters. But who knows.
I'm guessing that, too. Hey, I thought Dave Strider was an irredeemable rear end for most of Chapter 1.

My complaint with the strifes is that it took me forever (because I are dumb) to realize that I wasn't supposed to do actual combat repeating the successful attacks over and over, but to find the one combination of attacks that won.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah the writing was okay, but there's no actual puzzles in the game and no sylladex shenanigans so 0/10, poo poo game.

Sure there are. How do you actually play the piano? (It's possible.) How do you get the attic key? What's the right combo to defeat the kitchen monsters?

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 17, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

drat it to hell, quote is not edit.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
My take is that yes, Dammek is an rear end in a top hat, but he does, in his own hosed-up way, care for Xefros, and the next game will be about Dammek getting the kind of character development that leads to him realizing that.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Guys, i think troll social relationships might be weird

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What's the right combo to defeat the kitchen monsters?

You just shoot flares at them? Was there anything to figure out beyond that?

The trailer had the TV in xerox's house getting smashed with a bat, but I tried using the bat on it with every channel active and nothing happened, I guess that might be a 'puzzle' but honestly I don't really give enough of a poo poo to try to figure out if it's possible.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sure there are. How do you actually play the piano? (It's possible.) How do you get the attic key? What's the right combo to defeat the kitchen monsters?

Puzzles that ultimately do nothing and mean nothing to the game itself aren't really puzzles in the adventure game sense and puzzles where the solution is "Look at this poster right here in the game world for the exact solution and if you don't we literally won't let you move on to where you even try the solution" aren't really puzzles either. That's the joke. "Oh I set up this intricate RE1 style puzzle about marble eyes and lights but I forgot to give you the marbles so here is the solution and the marbles you need."

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

To be honest I'm not usually a big fan of puzzles in adventure games that are actually tricky, the marble thing leading to goofy pigeon shenanigans is more rewarding than fiddling around with blocks and combinations. Having little snippets of silly text and the odd side thing happen for thorough exploration of the environment and trying stuff with other stuff is also plenty rewarding even if it doesn't progress the main plot.

A little more flesh on things like the "combat" scenes might at least give the player more to do, which would help.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The trophy room tripped me up because I forgot you could close the top bar and never noticed the antlers were a separate thing you could click as a result. Eventually I figured out you could close it and I read the dumb antler thing again.

How do you play the piano?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Burkion posted:

The trophy room tripped me up because I forgot you could close the top bar and never noticed the antlers were a separate thing you could click as a result. Eventually I figured out you could close it and I read the dumb antler thing again.

How do you play the piano?

Use Byers on it. He will play a haunting melody on your behalf.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The actual game is really mostly about rubbing stuff on other stuff and thereby finding out more things and getting more jokes about Joey and Jude's messed up life. Which is actually pretty cool. These are rich and fun characters to inhabit.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Tunicate posted:

You just shoot flares at them? Was there anything to figure out beyond that?
No, those are the living-room monsters. You tapdance so the kitchen monster gets close, then you throw spice in its eyes, and I think you may have to repeat that combo.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Oh, cool, somebody translated all the Alternian bits in Hiveswap. There are some fun little details.
https://doodlana.tumblr.com/post/165451844590/hiveswap-alternian-translations

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I didn't really notice it while playing, but I'm impressed how many font styles they managed to make out of the upside-down Oblivion alphabet.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

I didn't really notice it while playing, but I'm impressed how many font styles they managed to make out of the upside-down Oblivion alphabet.

Yes. I was particularly impressed -- and maddened -- by the way that Alternian handwriting didn't match Alternian print uppercase.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Failing troll calligraphy class is punishable by culling.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, cool, somebody translated all the Alternian bits in Hiveswap. There are some fun little details.
https://doodlana.tumblr.com/post/165451844590/hiveswap-alternian-translations

That poster of Toby Fox, James Roach, and Malcolm Brown. :allears:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So who is the mystery person who got torn off the music team poster

Also, that all your base meme really shows how long the game was in development

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

all your base will never die

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Act 2 is gonna have an absolutely epic scene where the Troll Numa Numa Guy has to teach Joey how to prevent Mr T from eating her balls

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Freak Futanari posted:

So who is the mystery person who got torn off the music team poster

Also, that all your base meme really shows how long the game was in development

could it be that "you do not have what it takes to talk professionalism with me" crazypants from years and years ago

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Sensible chuckle at Green Blood - Alternian Idiot

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
That's hardly fair, it's not like it's been in production for 15 odd years.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Did anyone pay particular attention to the music? I can't say I did, though I seemed to remember it sounded nice enough and there were some good touches like the transition when the lights went out. On a similar note, the UI shift when you cross worlds was also good.

I might just need to give the soundtrack an independent listen through to see how it holds up.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

god drat jake is SUCH an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Im liking the game so far and if act 2 comes out in an actually reasonable amount of time then I'll be fully on board. use some of that viz money