Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's also supposed to be able to distinguish your face from a Hollywood-grade rubber mask of your face. So I guess it must track eye movements or something. I doubt it will be possible to unlock it while unconscious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Data Graham posted:

It's also supposed to be able to distinguish your face from a Hollywood-grade rubber mask of your face. So I guess it must track eye movements or something. I doubt it will be possible to unlock it while unconscious.

So, you are saying the cops can't call in Ethan Hunt then?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Your eyes need to be open.

Also this, and finger print biometrics, should never be relied on to keep out someone specifically targeting your phone (like cops or state actors). It's simply a feature to defeat access attempts in the case of a lost or stolen phone while adding a layer of convenience for the end-user. Fortunately, the newest iOS coming this week makes it very easy to disable biometric unlocking (press the power button 5 times) and fail-over to passcode/passphrase input.

In the case of Apple Pay, the biometric is used for authentication purposes to access the secure enclave.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Just enable both the facial ID and fingerprint scanners so it's double secure, that's two factor authentication, right?

- some C level somewhere

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What the gently caress?

https://betanews.com/2017/09/18/ccleaner-hacked-backdoor/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Renegret posted:

Just enable both the facial ID and fingerprint scanners so it's double secure, that's two factor authentication, right?

- some C level somewhere

Nah, just implement Stack Overflow's authentication protocol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgC4b9K-gYU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

If you have the following key in your system. you are probably infected
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Piriform\Agomo:MUID

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Renegret posted:

- some C level somewhere

It doesn't have both.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Avenging_Mikon posted:

It doesn't have both.

Draw eyes on your thumb, teach it that your thumb is your face

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Avenging_Mikon posted:

It doesn't have both.

:thejoke:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
A week after I bitched out my supervisor over other groups treating us like secretaries, I got a phone call from a network tech who was lost and couldn't find a conference room.

I never hung up the phone so fast on someone in my life.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Are you not the help desk? The center of help and support for the company? Aren't you a team player??

Now, where can I find the nearest bathroom

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Are you not the help desk? The center of help and support for the company? Aren't you a team player??

Are you at your desk? Just let it all out there and call the custodial staff.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Are you at your desk? Just let it all out there and call the custodial staff open a ticket with the help desk.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

gently caress. It was way too early when I made that post.

Had a request for folder access come in. Supervisor requesting it on behalf of a user, standard policy. Folder I:\Foo\Bar\Stuff\Here.

I do so. User reports they still don't have access. I ask for a screenshot of the error they get using the shortcut I put in their personal folder, because they don't get access to Stuff. They send me a screenshot of them trying to access I:\Foo\Bar\Stuff. I point out that's not the shortcut, and that's why they're having issues.

It's important to note that we're exchanging emails using replies to the original access request. User claims he was supposed to have access to Stuff and everything in it, including Here. I copy and paste the original request from the bottom of the email chain. User claims "semantic differences" and will follow up with his supervisor.

:wtc: Semantic differences?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

gently caress. It was way too early when I made that post.

Had a request for folder access come in. Supervisor requesting it on behalf of a user, standard policy. Folder I:\Foo\Bar\Stuff\Here.

I do so. User reports they still don't have access. I ask for a screenshot of the error they get using the shortcut I put in their personal folder, because they don't get access to Stuff. They send me a screenshot of them trying to access I:\Foo\Bar\Stuff. I point out that's not the shortcut, and that's why they're having issues.

It's important to note that we're exchanging emails using replies to the original access request. User claims he was supposed to have access to Stuff and everything in it, including Here. I copy and paste the original request from the bottom of the email chain. User claims "semantic differences" and will follow up with his supervisor.

:wtc: Semantic differences?

Can't say I've met a single end user who understood ntfs permissions include an option for traverse only. It's perfectly reasonable to understand how someone telling their boss I need access, "to Here on the I drive" being polymorphed into them not understanding why if they have access to I:/foo and I:/foo/bar they wouldn't have need of your 'time wasting shortcut clutter to Here, when they can just use the :I\foo shortcut on their desktop to get to the :i>bar folder like they always do.

You might try explaining it as I:\Foo\Bar\---\Here

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

SeaborneClink posted:

Can't say I've met a single end user who understood ntfs permissions include an option for traverse only.

Actually, ours don't, I think. Is there a way to check that, and get it set up if it isn't? I usually have to make new permissions groups for situations like this.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Renegret posted:

A week after I bitched out my supervisor over other groups treating us like secretaries, I got a phone call from a network tech who was lost and couldn't find a conference room.

I never hung up the phone so fast on someone in my life.

You should have stayed on the line and just asked clarifying questions and acted confused until he got really frustrated and been like OH? ARE YOU ANNOYED THAT IT FEELS LIKE SOMEONE IS WASTING YOUR TIME??!? And THEN slam the phone down.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

AlternateAccount posted:

You should have stayed on the line and just asked clarifying questions and acted confused until he got really frustrated and been like OH? ARE YOU ANNOYED THAT IT FEELS LIKE SOMEONE IS WASTING YOUR TIME??!? And THEN slam the phone down.

Now that I think about it, the guy who called me is the same guy who ~8 years ago got into a famous incident with a coworker that ended with the sentence "If we worked at a fish market we'd meet in the parking lot in 10 minutes and settle this like MEN"

Somehow he didn't get fired from that one.

Personally I'm too busy to waste other people's times. These forums don't read themselves you know.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

This video convinced me that Linus isn't a how-to channel but sophisticated performance art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXvmKkhINQw

Trigger warning: angle grinders, dremels, and hot glue.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Is there a clinic or mental health facility I can send email hoarders to? You can't possibly need every email you've received in the last decade, please delete something.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
loving hell, I ignored the trigger warnings and regret every loving second of it.

Hmm, we keep ripping parts off of a motherboard and connecting non-standard poo poo that's most likely shorting pins, and we're plugging in PSU wires in a "match it to whatever looks right" method, and the boards are frying on first boot hmmmmmm what could the problem be i wonder hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm glad this guy is making money as a youtuber and not as an IT guy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I almost feel sorry for the people that work with him that are subjected to him daily....

...almost. All I can remember is laughing/crying at his RAID-5'ed RAID-5 build that crashed.

Here's the same genius drilling through a radiator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HO6Ys3PPIw

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 18, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This morning the Office Admin came by and asked us where the new sales guy was supposed to sit. As I was turning my chair to give them a look, my manager just went "I dunno, ask their manager."

Why even come ask us? Why are you not asking the people in Sales?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

loving hell, I ignored the trigger warnings and regret every loving second of it.

Hmm, we keep ripping parts off of a motherboard and connecting non-standard poo poo that's most likely shorting pins, and we're plugging in PSU wires in a "match it to whatever looks right" method, and the boards are frying on first boot hmmmmmm what could the problem be i wonder hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

at least he's smart enough to not drill into a power supply

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CommieGIR posted:

I almost feel sorry for the people that work with him that are subjected to him daily....

...almost. All I can remember is laughing/crying at his RAID-5'ed RAID-5 build that crashed.
RAID 0'd RAID 5.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

RAID 0'd RAID 5.

Scuse me, yes. Because that's smart. I refuse to believe that was for the lolz.

Renegret posted:

at least he's smart enough to not drill into a power supply

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Every time I think about that dumb loving video, all I can think is that if you were to look up schadenfreude in the dictionary, you'd see a picture of my dumbass face laughing hysterically as he's realizing everything is gone.

gently caress that dude.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Lots of anger about an entertainment channel on YouTube from the forums of a dead comedy website

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think you mean a dead gay comedy website.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Boogalo posted:

This video convinced me that Linus isn't a how-to channel but sophisticated performance art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXvmKkhINQw

Trigger warning: angle grinders, dremels, and hot glue.

There are three parts. :eyepop:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Fool posted:

Lots of anger about an entertainment channel on YouTube from the forums of a dead comedy website

Dead Gay Comedy Forum that has standards :colbert:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's not an entertainment channel; it's a torture device for IT professionals.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Ghostlight posted:

It's not an entertainment channel; it's a torture device for IT professionals.

I could see an argument in which these are the same thing.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

I assume like the Classic Shell hack, I'm fine if I've only been installing it from Ninite?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

CommieGIR posted:

Scuse me, yes. Because that's smart. I refuse to believe that was for the lolz.

oh god

I shouldn't watch this, should I

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Renegret posted:

oh god

I found it more amusing than the one Boogalo linked, which was just :stonk: incarnate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Renegret posted:

oh god

He drills through a water-cooling radiator and fries his motherboard, makes another one, then places his home made monstrosity in the rack immediately above his petabyte server project, so that any water that does eventually leak from his hodge podge build leaks right onto his most expensive investment

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I assume like the Classic Shell hack, I'm fine if I've only been installing it from Ninite?

Probably not. I don't know the details about the Classic Shell hack, but it sounds like Piriform had their build environment compromised for some amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
he also recently bricked a motherboard by painting it over in vantablack

• Locked thread