Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I kind of just skimmed the 2016 season cause the horrendous cars with the horrendous tires and horrendous engines were just too unbearable for me (even during the Schuey years at least we had great looking cars and screaming engines to keep you enticed) and now looking back at some 2016 highlights I kinda regret it. I followed the overall results and developments but god drat watching the Rosberg/Hamilton clashes are insane. Seems way worse than anything Vettel & Webber got up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

I kind of just skimmed the 2016 season cause the horrendous cars with the horrendous tires and horrendous engines were just too unbearable for me (even during the Schuey years at least we had great looking cars and screaming engines to keep you enticed) and now looking back at some 2016 highlights I kinda regret it. I followed the overall results and developments but god drat watching the Rosberg/Hamilton clashes are insane. Seems way worse than anything Vettel & Webber got up to.

The flashpoint of Vettel/Webber was Turkey 2009. Multi 21 was overblown and they weren’t even teammates at Fuji in 2008 (and fuckit, I blame Hamilton for that one). Vettel/Webber was an old guy who wasn’t really in the hunt against the golden boy pederast Marko had a hard on for. Hamilton/Rosberg at least had some venom in it.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

The flashpoint of Vettel/Webber was Turkey 2009. Multi 21 was overblown and they weren’t even teammates at Fuji in 2008 (and fuckit, I blame Hamilton for that one). Vettel/Webber was an old guy who wasn’t really in the hunt against the golden boy pederast Marko had a hard on for. Hamilton/Rosberg at least had some venom in it.

It's going to be interesting to see who Stroll gets partnered with at Williams. He's going to push them very hard and we may see some Rosberg/Hamilton flashpoints at Williams next season because of it. It's going to be some serious fireworks.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

track day bro! posted:

Don't make me seriouspost op, but this thread (like most F1 threads) are insanely polarizing when it comes to how good a driver is. Either they are amazing or absolute dogshit. I don't think Palmer is gonna be amazing but, I recon he probably can be better than his results show like yeah he's probably not as good as hulkenberg but then I don't think he should be over a second slower than him. He's lost a shitload of testing time over the season due to mechanical failure or having someone else take his seat during sessions. Plus a fair few failures during quali and race JFC why am I defending Palmer ffs.

Being in the right environment plays a huge deal with driver psyches after all. Renault is just a horrible fit for Jolyon and vice-versa. He's a midfield driver at best it seems and if he were in, say, Haas I think he'd be doing much better or in Sauber. Hell, just look at how much Magnussen improved when he ditched Lotus/Renault. He's still a very aggressive/dirty driver but he seems way more confident and way more consistent.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wirth1000 posted:

It's going to be interesting to see who Stroll gets partnered with at Williams. He's going to push them very hard and we may see some Rosberg/Hamilton flashpoints at Williams next season because of it. It's going to be some serious fireworks.

So basically Force India 2017?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Also I hate The Stroll for the same reason I hate Max. They're both ugly. Can't trust ugly people.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

Unless Alonso moves to Williams I doubt anybody will be able to challenge The Stroll tbh.

Also, just found a photo on my phone I’d forgotten about. The hotel I stayed at in Monaco was selling a Ferrari F2005 wheel, god knows how much they wanted for it if they’ve had it since then. Did one of the Ferraris wipe out in 2005?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

Unless Alonso moves to Williams I doubt anybody will be able to challenge The Stroll tbh.

Also, just found a photo on my phone I’d forgotten about. The hotel I stayed at in Monaco was selling a Ferrari F2005 wheel, god knows how much they wanted for it if they’ve had it since then. Did one of the Ferraris wipe out in 2005?

No, 2005 was the year where you weren't allowed to change tires during the race so all the tires were harder than the first time you laid eyes on your wife.

That tire is going to outlast most of our lives unless your name is Kimi Raikkonen and you locked the gently caress up and were vibrated so hard you're incapable of having children.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

No, 2005 was the year where you weren't allowed to change tires during the race so all the tires were harder than the first time you laid eyes on your wife.

That tire is going to outlast most of our lives unless your name is Kimi Raikkonen and you locked the gently caress up and were vibrated so hard you're incapable of having children.

Ahh, the plastic tyres Bernie seemed to love. Bridgestone then, I’m guessing? I would’ve asked how much it cost but it would’ve sent me into a deep, deep depression.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Don't worry, Lance is richer than Michael ever was.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, my physics prof is a Ferrari fan. I'm going to sit there with a smug grin.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wirth1000 posted:

I kind of just skimmed the 2016 season cause the horrendous cars with the horrendous tires and horrendous engines were just too unbearable for me (even during the Schuey years at least we had great looking cars and screaming engines to keep you enticed)

Uhhhhh....

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob54czhnp2Q

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Delete this crap

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Wirth1000 posted:

Monaco 2005, where fisi snuck up on people getting blue flagged, then dive bombed them before they realised he wasn't alonso.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Theophany posted:

Tires aside, the amount of engineering that goes into the "lug nut" and the impact guns is quite impressive.

Which of course flies in the face of "keeping costs down" mantra. Powering guns with helium. Okay.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I’m loving baffled that they went from James Allen to Jonathan Legard to David Croft and then thought “yeah, no, David Croft is the voice of F1.”

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I'd love it if someone looped vettels quali audio over his start crash.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

I’m loving baffled that they went from James Allen to Jonathan Legard to David Croft and then thought “yeah, no, David Croft is the voice of F1.”

Croft was good for a little bit but he's absolutely terrible now. He's somehow adapted Legard's bizarre mannerisms of YELLING and BREATHLESS ENTHUSIASM and his brain can't keep up with what's going on anymore.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

I looked up these loving wrist straps or whatever and it infuriates me that I literally made a Bin Tyre lifestyle brand joke earlier in the year but apparently somebody took it seriously.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
[quote="“Wirth1000”" post="“476525012”"]
Croft was good for a little bit but he’s absolutely terrible now. He’s somehow adapted Legard’s bizarre mannerisms of YELLING and BREATHLESS ENTHUSIASM and his brain can’t keep up with what’s going on anymore.
[/quote]

I don’t even remember him being good, all I can think about is me shouting at the TV eight times a race when he calls the wrong car or makes a dipshit comment.

Also, Will Buxton is a real twat. Who gave that tapeworm a loving job?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
[quote="“1500quidporsche”" post="“476525066”"]
I looked up these loving wrist straps or whatever and it infuriates me that I literally made a Bin Tyre lifestyle brand joke earlier in the year but apparently somebody took it seriously.
[/quote]

loving lmao. I told you that people were unironically driving around in those painted up Pirelli tyres - you’d think the natives poo poo c notes.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

I don’t even remember him being good, all I can think about is me shouting at the TV eight times a race when he calls the wrong car or makes a dipshit comment.

Also, Will Buxton is a real twat. Who gave that tapeworm a loving job?

oh my god Yes... YESSSS finally someone else who shares in my Will Buxton hatred! The guy is a massive loving tool and I can't stand him.

And Croft used to be good when he was commentating for BBC Radio 5 Live.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Post your favourite F1 commentators losing their poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wif3Kr0y5js

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Best commentary team was when there was a Children's BBC commentary team for a few races. They had a song when one driver finally finished a lap after a string of bad luck

Regrettably I can find no evidence that this wasn't just a fever dream I had

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 18, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

TV commentators need to realise that I can loving see what's going on and I don't need "OH WOW BIG CRASH THERE". They're meant to add something, most don't.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

oh my god Yes... YESSSS finally someone else who shares in my Will Buxton hatred! The guy is a massive loving tool and I can't stand him.

And Croft used to be good when he was commentating for BBC Radio 5 Live.

Will Buxton is a smug, self-serving oval office with the journalistic acumen of one of my bowel movements.

Also, holy gently caress watching 2009 and reminded that the FIA President is now Jean Frog instead of Ari Vatanen. gently caress this gay earth so hard.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

TV commentators need to realise that I can loving see what's going on and I don't need "OH WOW BIG CRASH THERE". They're meant to add something, most don't.

I think when the timing hosed up in the first half of the year it really illustrated how bad the sky team were, instead of building a narrative around what was happening in the race they still just plugged away describing what was on the screen at the time.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
[quote="“1500quidporsche”" post="“476525531”"]
I think when the timing hosed up in the first half of the year it really illustrated how bad the sky team were, instead of building a narrative around what was happening in the race they still just plugged away describing what was on the screen at the time.
[/quote]

Oh my Christ they are a bunch of hacks. I can only justify watching it because I pay for it and I’d rather subject myself to that excruciating experience of literal retards cumming themselves to death over Lewis Hamilton and their self-congratulatory wank off than not watching F1 at all.

I hope Antarctica is sore from this earth getting hosed into oblivion.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

Will Buxton is a smug, self-serving oval office with the journalistic acumen of one of my bowel movements.

Also, holy gently caress watching 2009 and reminded that the FIA President is now Jean Frog instead of Ari Vatanen. gently caress this gay earth so hard.

Vatanen was poo poo and I'm glad Todt won. Todt's done a shitload of good work and he's barely in the news which is a good thing for the FIA President.

Vatanen had no loving clue and he straight up just ripped off Obama's entire campaign in the process.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Todt has been poo poo for the FIA. I know of no good things done under his tenure. The Road safety campaign is very obviously his own vanity project and I'd be shocked if he had any genuine care for the issue based on what I've heard with the FIA's involvement in karting.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
[quote="“Wirth1000”" post="“476525690”"]
Vatanen was poo poo and I’m glad Todt won. Todt’s done a shitload of good work and he’s barely in the news which is a good thing for the FIA President.

Vatanen had no loving clue and he straight up just ripped off Obama’s entire campaign in the process.
[/quote]

“Lunatics running the asylum.”

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tsaedje posted:

Best commentary team was when there was a Children's BBC commentary team for a few races. They had a song when one driver finally finished a lap after a string of bad luck

Regrettably I can find no evidence that this wasn't just a fever dream I had

This was definitely a thing but wow it really is hard to find any evidence of it. I think it was a live red button thing so any recordings are going to be hard to track down

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Thanks Ants posted:

Sometimes less is more....and no one seems to get that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

GramCracker posted:

Sometimes less is more....and no one seems to get that

This is american commentary, which isn't usually associated with restraint, but the end of the '89 Indy 500 is one of my favorite pieces of racing commentary ever for that reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu8YwDgWxwA

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ABC for the Indy 500 this year (and last) did a silent booth start. Always cool.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Skarsnik posted:

This was definitely a thing but wow it really is hard to find any evidence of it. I think it was a live red button thing so any recordings are going to be hard to track down

the BBC has previous for doing this, they also let their Radio DJs do alternate commentary on the red button for World Cup matches

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

Post your favourite F1 commentators losing their poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wif3Kr0y5js

Can I just say that "get in there" is the most irritating Britishism that I have to hear every weekend, usually from a Mercedes race engineer.

also Will Buxton owns, haters get out and go watch Sky.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Basticle posted:

Can I just say that "get in there" is the most irritating Britishism that I have to hear every weekend, usually from a Mercedes race engineer.

also Will Buxton owns, haters get out and go watch Sky.

Seal your lips around my hemmroidic rear end in a top hat and suck the turds out you Buxtonfuckman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wirth1000 posted:

Seal your lips around my hemmroidic rear end in a top hat and suck the turds out you Buxtonfuckman

:jebstare:

• Locked thread