Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

joepinetree posted:

The US- Mexico border is already one of the most militarized borders in the world. Since 2008 the majority of new immigrants who are undocumented are people overstaying visas. And the deal explicitly excludes a wall. So the "border security" here comes through additional ICE agents and more enforcement and deportations. So a DACA for more ICE agents deal is essentially "you can stay but we will get more people to harass your parents."

pointlessly militarized mind you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 16 days!)

Yinlock posted:

[extremely centrist-who-campaigned-on-anti-corruption-voice] getting rid of corruption is pointless because corruption will just come back, alright meeting over we're done here

The Centrist position is to make corruption legal.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Chris Murphy :lol:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

zegermans posted:

that

what

how can anyone have that take

since 2010, the bad Dem line on healthcare has been that we can't talk about improving the ACA because admitting that the ACA is anything less than absolute perfection might give ammo to Republican ACA repeal efforts

after 2016, they extended that line of attack. now it's important that one hundred percent of our attention goes to resisting Republican repeal efforts, so we can't talk about literally anything else healthcare-related because that would somehow mean diverting attention and effort from opposing ACA repeal

over the past couple months, as the single-payer stuff has been ramping up, the bad Dems have been slowly expanding that argument. so now it's "single-payer advocates are aiding GOP efforts to destroy the ACA by diverting Dem attention away from defending Obamacare"

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

docbeard posted:

*Having a completely malfunctioning federal government is probably truer to the intentions of the Founders but it's not my preference.

My god, we're trapped in an insane experiment created by pretentious, unevenly self educated plutocrats.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

:abuela: : "We have to work with what we got. Too many people are holding out for the perfect of the enemy of the good."

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I've seen this seriously advocated by someone in grad school. Libertarian leaning centrist.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

is it just me or does claire really dislike bernie?

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/909883193129619456

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
She does it's been clear every time they've discussed Bernie on their podcast.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

lol

Yes, Bernie would have won, but it has nothing to do with his message.

pricelessz

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Over Easy posted:

lol

pricelessz

it's almost like

nothing

matters

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://twitter.com/etc_politics/status/909890341951741952

lol just run in 2020 you idiot

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Over Easy posted:

lol

pricelessz

is "Clinton fatigue" a more Clinton-friendly way of saying "the Clintons are pretty nakedly corrupt and people don't like that"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I like to check in on Eric every now and then.

https://twitter.com/ericgarland/status/909841806938042368

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Over Easy posted:

lol

pricelessz

hillary's problem in an electoral sense we're 75% because she was is a corrupt weirdo. you can pretend that leftism is secretly super popular in this insanely right wing country but issues aren't at all why she lost in that a non weirdo with exactly the same policy as clinton would have steamrolled.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Frijolero posted:

There's a whole lotta "Ugh, Dems don't actually mean it when they say M4A."

I'm not sweating it.

You don't just go full Bernie on medicare and then take it back. The window has shifted permanently. And if the Dems give-up/flip-flop/don't deliver, but it's still popular with voters, then baby, you got a stew going.

Yeah. What we're seeing is the way changes happen in a democracy; by convincing self serving politicians that it's in their best interest to do what we want. It doesn't really matter if they mean it in their hearts as long as they believe it's their best shot at staying in power.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 16 days!)

Hillary Rodham Clinton posted:

When it comes to some of my most controversial actions—like my vote giving President Bush the authority to go to war in Iraq—I was far from alone. That doesn’t make it right, but it also doesn’t explain the venom targeted at me specifically. Why am I seen as such a divisive figure and, say, Joe Biden and John Kerry aren’t? They’ve run for President. They’ve served at high levels of government. They’ve cast votes of all kinds, including some they regret, just like me. What makes me such a lightning rod for fury? I’m really asking. I’m at a loss.

I'm glad as Hell I didn't vote for Clinton.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

hillary's problem in an electoral sense we're 75% because she was is a corrupt weirdo. you can pretend that leftism is secretly super popular in this insanely right wing country but issues aren't at all why she lost in that a non weirdo with exactly the same policy as clinton would have steamrolled.

Bernie would have campaigned and won safe blue states like Wisconsin/Michigan

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
it's really too bad that Gary Johnson kept Trump from winning Minnesota because God drat Hillary was a bad candidate

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

haha! Shouldn't she have worked that out before Obama made her concede to Trump? How long is "contesting the election" on the table anyway? That poo poo was almost a year ago.

It's never going to be over!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

etalian posted:

Bernie would have campaigned and won safe blue states like Wisconsin/Michigan

He would have won them by not being a giant dork and a cool, relatable dude.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

loquacius posted:

is "Clinton fatigue" a more Clinton-friendly way of saying "the Clintons are pretty nakedly corrupt and people don't like that"

no it means im tired of her go away hillary :shobon:

i have the dengue fever of wonk policies

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I am going to guess that this came about because someone extrapolated her diehard fans' reactions to Clinton memes, like

onto less committed sectors of the population, the way you might infer the level of diehard Republican support that won't ever go away by looking at the approval rating for Dick Cheney and Donald Trump. Maybe there's no point in guessing and

Tiler Kiwi posted:

clinton has a garbage fursona

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

As everyone knows, John Kerry's vote to go to war did not affect his Presidential campaign or the perception that he stood for absolutely nothing, because he's not Hillary Clinton, the most persecuted second-class citizen ever born

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Bip Roberts posted:

lol presidential elections in any country is retarded because it's so personal that it's basically 90% personal charisma would I have a beer with this guy/lady and 10% whether the guy/lady is actually going to implement policies to help the country

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
John Kerry's Iraq War vote was a big issue in 2004 and probably cost him the election.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Joementum posted:

John Kerry's Iraq War vote was a big issue in 2004 and probably cost him the election.

But he's not a "lightning rod for fury", except if you ask me

(I am furious at John Kerry)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
both of Obama's Secretaries of State were people who voted for the Iraq War

this isn't new news, but it bears repeating

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

loquacius posted:

But he's not a "lightning rod for fury", except if you ask me

(I am furious at John Kerry)

The 2004 DNC was one of the most embarrassing things ever broadcast on television.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Hillary Rodham Clinton posted:

When it comes to some of my most controversial actions—like my vote giving President Bush the authority to go to war in Iraq—I was far from alone. That doesn’t make it right, but it also doesn’t explain the venom targeted at me specifically. Why am I seen as such a divisive figure and, say, Joe Biden and John Kerry aren’t? They’ve run for President. They’ve served at high levels of government. They’ve cast votes of all kinds, including some they regret, just like me. What makes me such a lightning rod for fury? I’m really asking. I’m at a loss.

First, regret is not something for which people take politicians at their word. People look at actions. Joe Biden showed some resemblance of redemption by arguing against the Afghanistan troop surge, and he wasn't the one that continuously argued for a no-fly zone in Syria while using circuitous language to downplay the possibility it wouldn't escalate even more, without a declaration of war, than the no-fly zone in Libya, even though he was beside Obama on all the other things. It's not hard to see how those factors would lead dovish anti-interventionists to hold one of those personalities, the one running for president, closer to the fire than the other. Secondly, as Joementum said, John Kerry's "for it before he was against it" mattered in the 2004 general election, at which time Iraq War support was at a dead-even 50/50 tipping point.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

galenanorth posted:

First, regret is not something for which people take politicians at their word. People look at actions. Joe Biden showed some resemblance of redemption by arguing against the Afghanistan troop surge, and he wasn't the one that continuously argued for a no-fly zone in Syria while using circuitous language to downplay the possibility it wouldn't escalate even more, without a declaration of war, than the no-fly zone in Libya, even though he was beside Obama on all the other things. It's not hard to see how those factors would lead dovish anti-interventionists to hold one of those personalities, the one running for president, closer to the fire than the other. Secondly, as Joementum said, John Kerry's "for it before he was against it" mattered in the 2004 general election, at which time Iraq War support was at a dead-even 50/50 tipping point.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

As I understand it, the State Department is woefully understaffed and the Secretary of State is basically an inanimate object.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

docbeard posted:

As I understand it, the State Department is woefully understaffed and the Secretary of State is basically an inanimate object.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

lmebo

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
joe bidens big idea was to ethnically partition Iraq by force so let's not act like he wasn't a monster on the issue

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Joementum posted:

joe bidens big idea was to ethnically partition Iraq by force so let's not act like he wasn't a monster on the issue

Bernie never owned slaves or voted to invade Iraq

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Joementum posted:

splitting up iraq by ethnic lines de facto if not de jure isn't necessarily bad imo

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
using the US military to create ethno-nation states is bad and I'm not going to debate this point because you are wrong if you think otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Typo posted:

splitting up iraq by ethnic lines de facto if not de jure isn't necessarily bad imo

ya lets make iraq the new israel

tired: israel-palestine

wired: iraq ethno-states

both scenarios, the kurds are wiped out, big league

• Locked thread