Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Random person of interest I haven't seen brought up in this channel but getting some views: Austin Mcconnell. Here's one of his pieces. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjfU0efgOKI. Anyway, seems to be some potential there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
This week on Song Crimes, we’re in housing court with Autograph, George Thorogood, and the Beastie Boys.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Today's Jimquisition is about how to do F2P right, and Gearbox's Randy Pitchford trying to start a beef with Jim "loving" Sterling, "Son".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCr0iZjXIRc

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

In a thread on another board which was about WhatCulture cutting a bunch of their more well known presenters, I found a post that amused me just because it's such a siren of 'THIS GUY PROBABLY HAS lovely OPINIONS' which I reckon Hbomb would be amused by.

quote:

Yeah, YouTube's been demonetizing money for most of my allies of content creators like Computing Forever (Dave Cullen), Bearing, Jordan Owen, Shoe0nHead, The Mad Shangi, Armored Skeptic, FoxDie (formerly Johnny Fox Show), Sargon of Akkad (Carl Benjamin), Thunderf00t, Charmingman93, TL;DR, Ranting Monkey, Wild Smile, Naked Ape, Stefan Molyneux, Undoomed and Ausyarr.

I mean talk about a gigantic red flag

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Today's Jimquisition is about how to do F2P right, and Gearbox's Randy Pitchford trying to start a beef with Jim "loving" Sterling, "Son".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCr0iZjXIRc

So did Jim drop the ironic fascist gimmick for a videogame horror carnival theme thing?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

So did Jim drop the ironic fascist gimmick for a videogame horror carnival theme thing?

Yup, dropped it in like May IIRC

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

and all it took was changing his background poster and getting a new hat.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Terrible Opinions posted:

and all it took was changing his background poster and getting a new hat.

And a stick :colbert:

e: He did get a new theme tune too but as of this episode, apparently, Drill Queen is back!

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

KayTee posted:

e: He did get a new theme tune too but as of this episode, apparently, Drill Queen is back!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Drill Queen was better and I wish it would stay, the new theme is still just alright.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Born Depressed is an amazing song but I really, really love Stress as well

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

"Stress" by "Jim's Big Ego" is just way too perfect a match not to be the theme of the show.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I like both, but I'm really surprised at how easily Stress replaced Born Depressed for me after a couple of views. It works really well.

Probably gonna be harder to make fun covers for, though. And now I want a mashup of the two.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

'Born Stressed'

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

KayTee posted:

And a stick :colbert:

I prefer the old one. New one annoys the crap out of me. It just sounds like a jumbled mess.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Stress works better as an outro song, Born Depressed is a better intro.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Early Jimpressions: Brass City

This looks pretty fun.

Related: https://youtu.be/5uZ_M0w8xKs

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 20, 2017

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was weird the first time I heard Stress in Jim's videos because I thought Jim's Big Ego(oh, it's a pun selection too, I just realized that) was an obscure band of which I myself only knew Stress and The Ballad of Barry Allen.

achillesforever6 posted:

The worst book I was forced to read was in Civics class, because our teacher who was the head of the Republican's Club made us read Barry Goldwater's Conscious of a Conservative. :barf:

I've never read the book, but I always thought Goldwater was pretty cool and one of the best as far as Republicans go. No?

I did have a librarian who was pretty loving detestable though and would go on and on about how awesome Ben Carson was. She also literally refused to believe me when we were talking and I mentioned the Jefferson Bible, and when I didn't have any evidence on hand because it was the middle of a school day without a device to Wikipedia it up, she acted like I was proven wrong.

TenCentFang fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 20, 2017

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

TenCentFang posted:

It was weird the first time I heard Stress in Jim's videos because I thought Jim's Big Ego(oh, it's a pun selection too, I just realized that) was an obscure band of which I myself only knew Stress and The Ballad of Barry Allen.

I've never read the book, but I always thought Goldwater was pretty cool and one of the best as far as Republicans go. No?

I did have a librarian who was pretty loving detestable though and would go on and on about how awesome Ben Carson was. She also literally refused to believe me when we were talking and I mentioned the Jefferson Bible, and when I didn't have any evidence on hand because it was the middle of a school day without a device to Wikipedia it up, she acted like I was proven wrong.

I mean, Ben Carson *is* awesome. He's probably the best neurosurgeon alive today. It's just that neurosurgical prowess doesn't particularly correlate with having good political ideas.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think Ben Carson is genuine enough that his ideas can be called good or bad, except for the good political idea to sell bad political ideas to people who want to hear them.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Thankfully my school system had a decent set of books to read. Lowest it got was Ender's Game (why was this on the loving list) and Fahrenheit 451 (hundreds of pages of Ray Bradbury getting red, nude, and mad at TV being more popular than books). Also was lovely that the school system barred Slaughterhouse-5 because of the picture of titties in it. Still, we got to read Cormac McCarthy and James Joyce in senior year, which was sweet.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I got to read A Wizard of Earthsea in Jr. High. All your schools sucked :colbert:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TenCentFang posted:

I've never read the book, but I always thought Goldwater was pretty cool and one of the best as far as Republicans go. No?///

Depends on what you mean by "pretty cool". Ahead of his time in using law-and-order rhetoric to hide white supremacy, setting the stage for Nixon's Southern Strategy. He was also suggesting that nuclear weapons be used in Vietnam.

He got as far as he got because his activists managed to take over the state party apparatuses by just showing up to meetings more zealously, which eventually resulted in a more tightly controlled party just like the McGovern victory did for Democrats.

Pretty amicable in person, though, from what people say.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I remember reading the Great Gatsby and Tom Sawyer in high school along with a few Shakespeare plays. I'm also remembering some other books like Touching Spirit Bear and The Goats. Trying to remember what else.

EDIT: 1984, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Catcher in the Rye too.

EDIT2: I remember reading The Grapes of Wrath and Snow in August for summer reading assignments.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 20, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

nine-gear crow posted:

I got to read A Wizard of Earthsea in Jr. High. All your schools sucked :colbert:

I read Foucault's Pendulum in high school.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Heh, suckers, I was given A Clockwork Orange to read for my 12th Grade English class.* :smugbert:

(*As part of a pool of pre-selected books to choose from. No way in hell do I imagine they were going to be passing that one around class wide.)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

TenCentFang posted:

Goldwater was the direct predecessor to Reagan and Trump. No he is certainly not one of the best.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Goldwater got so mad he couldn't call his shoe shine boy the n-word anymore he singlehandedly led the movement to drag America's morality into the dark ages

The Horse in Tears
Nov 3, 2014
New Brows Held High about The Forbidden Room and the loss and decay of film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fxJ79qED0Y

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
You want "the best" of well known Republicans for the last long while, youre pretty much looking at Eisenhower, who still has a multitude of things wrong with him.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
The UK Megathread recently had a several-page derail over literature and it reminded me that there is a book out there that I've been meaning to read for quite some time. It arrived yesterday and is relevant to this thread:

:cthulhu:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Oh yeah. That thing is still in print?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Edit: whoops, wrong thread!

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh yeah. That thing is still in print?

Must be - I ordered mine brand new! :D

And I'm also confusing and freaking out folks on my facebook feed with it! XD

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I like Pitchford trying so hard to get the game journalist to say Jim's name. Like, trying so hard.

I wonder what Jim thinks of FF14's system, where not only do you pay to get the game, pay a sub but it also has microtransactions for clothes and emotes that you spend 15 bucks on.... for one character.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Kyle Kallgren’s newest video on Guy Maddin and lost film is just what I wanted to see. Thanks, Kyle!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Just wanted to say that I am very much enjoying Song Crimes. I actually like that it's relatively short, most of my podcasts are an hour+ so it's nice to have something I can start and finish while I walk to work. I will say, however, that I was really hoping you'd manage to fit a Johnny Cash song for the fourth episode in a row.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

I wonder what Jim thinks of FF14's system, where not only do you pay to get the game, pay a sub but it also has microtransactions for clothes and emotes that you spend 15 bucks on.... for one character.

He seems to be a fan of the game itself given his trailer reactions.

And to be fair one character can do literally everything in ff14. Alts aren't necessary except for cosmetic reasons.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Leal posted:

I like Pitchford trying so hard to get the game journalist to say Jim's name. Like, trying so hard.

I personally feel there's a difference between MMO's having them and something like NBA 2K18 where to make any headway at all you're going to have to spend real money. It's still exploitative but it's not nickel and diming like what 2K does these days.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

YggiDee posted:

Just wanted to say that I am very much enjoying Song Crimes. I actually like that it's relatively short, most of my podcasts are an hour+ so it's nice to have something I can start and finish while I walk to work. I will say, however, that I was really hoping you'd manage to fit a Johnny Cash song for the fourth episode in a row.

Thanks! And I assure you that we have no shortage of Johnny Cash songs. In fact, they should’ve called him the Man in Black… Robes! :rimshot:

• Locked thread