Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr E posted:

Gimme some gimmick builds for the Souls/Borne games, I'm gonna play through all of them and Nioh for the thousandth time.

Dual shields, no weapons allowed. You have to complete the game by co-oping with other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

New Concept Hole posted:

There's not 80 minutes of things to talk about in Dark Souls 2
you can say that about every hbomberguy video, dude bloviates for an hour and a half to express an opinion that could be reduced to maybe a paragraph

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

youtube allowing videos longer than 10 minutes has done more to degrade the discourse than the burning of the library of alexandria

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Here's my list of Dark Souls games

Bloodborne > other dark souls games

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Zaphod42 posted:

Dual shields, no weapons allowed. You have to complete the game by co-oping with other people.

You definitely don't need co-op to beat a shield-only run. Except in Bloodborne I suppose

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Isn't a shield-only run of Bloodborne impossible?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

tap my mountain posted:

Here's my list of Dark Souls games

Bloodborne > other dark souls games

See this is what really grinds my gears. I believe you. Every time someone praises the older games with something like "oh they have slower more deliberate combat" I'm like why would I ever want that? Meanwhile everything about Bloodborne sounds like the stuff I like about DS3 but moreso, so of course it's the one game that's never, ever going to come out on PC.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Bloodborne is tied with Demon's Souls for being the worst games in the series, since they're not on PC

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Raxivace posted:

That reminds me of one of the issues I had with Bloodborne- they finally go back to having fairly interconnected level design but it never feels like it because you're always having to teleport to the Hunter's Dream just to do even basic tasks like leveling up.

In general I'm not fond of these games' obsession with having to talk to a boring NPC to level up. Demon's Souls was the only time it sort of was almost interesting because they straight up take her away at the end of the game.

Turns out shortcuts lose their impact when you just warp where you are going

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Bloodborne is tied with Demon's Souls for being the worst games in the series, since they're not on PC

At least PS4 emulation should be a thing eventually, demon's is going to be locked away on the PS3 forever

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't really think its fair to say they have intrinsically slower combat, its just that bloodborne focuses on what would be one very particular playstyle out of many in DS, and all the bosses are designed with the expectation that you're playing that way which ends up making the game a bit tighter

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tap my mountain posted:

At least PS4 emulation should be a thing eventually, demon's is going to be locked away on the PS3 forever

Ps3 emulation is coming along now. Somebody ran a stream of a decent looking demons emulation during the summer

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Bloodborne only being on PS4 is From's way of separating the posters from this that are worthy :c00lbutt:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Real hurthling! posted:

Turns out shortcuts lose their impact when you just warp where you are going

It's not a problem with warping where you're going, it's breaking up the traversal by going back and forth from the hunter's dream, which makes it feel segmented even though it isn't

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You'd think Microsoft would've tried to make their own Souls competitor at some point/thrown a bunch of money at From for an Xbox Souls

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

You'd think Microsoft would've tried to make their own Souls competitor at some point/thrown a bunch of money at From for an Xbox Souls

They are incompetent and many japanese devs hate them. They have primary marketing deals with bandai namco for multiplats anyway so the dummies out there probably think souls is exclusive already

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Dark Souls but with randomized loot, a TV show tie in, and a brand new gimmick that completely fails to mesh with the From gameplay style.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They probably don't sell that well relative to like Uncharted and equivalent tier of Sony development. And they got the Dark Souls anyway

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Destiny but it's dark souls

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

please enjoy my Dark Souls visual novel for mature audiences: Jolly Copulation

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

they couldn't even get a platinum game done, and platinum is like the pez company of video game developers, they'll work with anyone

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH57suoo6w

This might be the most underwhelming graphical comparison I've ever seen

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Microsoft couldn't even bother with Phantom Dust or Platinum Dragon. They also axed an unknown Obsidian and Double Fine game, nearly sinking both companies. I can't believe they're still putting up with Cuphead but if the designers had to remortgage their house it doesn't sound like they're doing much.

Really Pants posted:

please enjoy my Dark Souls visual novel for mature audiences: Jolly Copulation

A Dark Souls vn would basically be Fighting Fantasy or those CYOA where half the threads are intricate deaths.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

The important thing is the PS4 version has noticeably better framerate.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

A Dark Souls vn would basically be Fighting Fantasy or those CYOA where half the threads are intricate deaths.

More CYOAs should let you continue on with a penalty when you die.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Bury me with my 12 13 copies of Dragma I own.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Every once in a while, I like to look at the Wikipedia page for the PS3 because it blows my mind that it only had 512mb combined system and video memory. Like, I'll remember that fact and second guess myself cause that's so little memory.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

tap my mountain posted:

Dark Souls but with randomized loot, a TV show tie in, and a brand new gimmick that completely fails to mesh with the From gameplay style.

Xbone souls that you control with the kinect!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

They probably don't sell that well relative to like Uncharted and equivalent tier of Sony development. And they got the Dark Souls anyway

Sonys ps4 strat was to identify niche genres that fans would feel forced to buy consoles for and buy full exclusivity or console exclusivity on numerous projects

Bloodborne,
Streetfighter,
Nier,
Shenmue,
Etc.

Then when the uncharteds roll out you've got a lot more gamers who own systems and might get your broad appeal game. Whereas if you expect uncharted to sell consoles, many people would say that another one of those isnt worth 400 dollars upfront.

Ms' strategy has been to buy timed exclusivity for broad appeal games like tomb raider and dead rising that dont have the same cult fans by the balls. These games offer much of the same gameplay as other franchises so people dont mind waiting or skipping.

Idk if this theory holds water but its how it was explained to me on these here internets

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 19, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
add platinum to the list next to double fine and obsidian as almost getting killed by ms, hideki kamiya tweeted a while back that nier automata basically saved the company

also lol ms getting timed exclusivity for dead rising and then getting the two biggest stinkers in the series

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 19, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

5th anniversary :negative:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

"how can you compete with the xbox... if you don't have hands to make good games with" agent smith says as hideki kamiya's hands become webbed and slowly transform into duck feet

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

You definitely don't need co-op to beat a shield-only run. Except in Bloodborne I suppose

I know, that was the second condition of the playstyle. A and B not A implies B.

Dragon's Dogma is a game with lots of cool ideas and some fun to be had but ultimately its bad.

Its like Skyrim but worse, the actual combat balance of that game is a disaster. Everything is either trivial or impossible, and stats gently caress you all the time.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 19, 2017

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Dragon's Dogma is a game with lots of cool ideas and some fun to be had but ultimately its bad

Actually it's good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its a fun game for cool dudes

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

I know, that was the second condition of the playstyle. A and B not A implies B.
Oh, okay.

Zaphod42 posted:

Dragon's Dogma is a game with lots of cool ideas and some fun to be had but ultimately its bad.
:wrong:

Zaphod42 posted:

Its like Skyrim but worse
What the gently caress

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The pawn system is very cool

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Dragons dogma:dark arisen is probably a G4F5. Though without the original title song, I'd rate it a G3F4

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 19, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Help Im Alive posted:

scalebound rest in peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I miss the PS2 era of crummy movie tie-in games because I just saw mother! and someone should adapt that into a videogame, it's really good

• Locked thread