Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Even the busiest commands can find a way to make do without a person for an hour and a half.

Well yeah, I'd walk off the pier with a binder in my arms and go gently caress around on my phone for an hour and a half sometimes when there was nothing going on besides 'be here'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

M_Gargantua posted:

Well yeah, I'd walk off the pier with a binder in my arms and go gently caress around on my phone for an hour and a half sometimes when there was nothing going on besides 'be here'

Let me tell you about the time the MRGs on the MOB blew up so we couldn't get underway and were essentially building CG53 for half a year. We were still slated to go on pac with the Stennis strike group, so for poo poo like comptuex the triad told us we would be fast cruising for two weeks.

After like 3 days we eventually just ended up going to shift work for the watches and told people to show up for the 8 hours you were supposed to be on your 'underway' watch for, and as long as no one was late if you weren't on watch you didn't have to be onboard. Amazingly no one hosed it up but man 2 weeks of a fast cruise might have started a mutiny.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Virginia Slams posted:

Supposed to get a 96 this weekend according to the CO so my LPO decides to volunteer everyone to come in and sit around all day friday for no reason DH accepts. Love it.

Your LPO needs to taste a curb. Our CO gave us all 96 except for the chiefs and the one guy on watch.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!
Rare footage of Chief Select training.

https://streamable.com/0e3c5

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Your LPO needs to taste a curb. Our CO gave us all 96 except for the chiefs and the one guy on watch.

My coworkers and I all agree

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

Not a smoker. ;)

You're missing out on a free sauna.

orange juche posted:

What the gently caress is an e6 smoke pit? Like we had the Khaki smoke deck and the lower enlisted plebs smoke deck on the Enterprise.

A shorter way of saying E6 and below smoke pit?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The new navy PT gear is pretty nice but I don't think it's gonna make a good set of pj's.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
What?? No more short shorts?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

ded posted:

What?? No more short shorts?

I had to wear navy PT gear and my rear end is nice enough to support Marine silkies

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The new track suit is replacing the hoody and matching pants.

I was asked if I would wash them twice and dry them while ignoring the cleaning instructions to see if they shrink when the average sailor gets a hold of them.

I really like my boss.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

LingcodKilla posted:

The new track suit is replacing the hoody and matching pants.

I was asked if I would wash them twice and dry them while ignoring the cleaning instructions to see if they shrink when the average sailor gets a hold of them.

I really like my boss.

Ok sure.... just tell your boss about making Marine silkies an approved uniform item for warm climates

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

Ok sure.... just tell your boss about making Marine silkies an approved uniform item for warm climates

Uh... ok but he doesn't have that much pull.
I just get to go home early tomorrow for waisting my time at home washing them.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Short shorts are the best.

I enjoyed when we didn't have a set PT uniform. Was fun being at a joint command and having some sort of joint run for like Independence Day or something. First, seeing the Army and Marines being there usual proper formations and having manuals to do formations. Then you'd have the AF doing their thing. Finally, it was us kind of milling about in no real formation with just about everyone in a different shirt and shorts. Truly it was the best for dumb, group events.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Short shorts are the best.

I enjoyed when we didn't have a set PT uniform. Was fun being at a joint command and having some sort of joint run for like Independence Day or something. First, seeing the Army and Marines being there usual proper formations and having manuals to do formations. Then you'd have the AF doing their thing. Finally, it was us kind of milling about in no real formation with just about everyone in a different shirt and shorts. Truly it was the best for dumb, group events.

we wear civy pt gear for our twice weekly command PT. Yesterday it was volleyball and tomorrow it's yoga.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

More like "enter male"

NASP and IWTC shutting down tomorrow. Gonna compress the poo poo outta JCAC.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Looks like some random guys at Norfolk have been running a makeshift, illegal police force for the last decade.

http://taskandpurpose.com/norfolk-naval-shipyard-secret-police/?utm_content=tp-facebook&utm_campaign=news&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

"Hey guys I got us an APC!"

"Where we gonna park it?"

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Elendil004 posted:

Looks like some random guys at Norfolk have been running a makeshift, illegal police force for the last decade.

http://taskandpurpose.com/norfolk-naval-shipyard-secret-police/?utm_content=tp-facebook&utm_campaign=news&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

:psyduck:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Really curious if base COs were ignorant (or willfully ignorant) or just complicit or believed it was a legit operation.

I mean if you showed up and there was an apparently legit tenant police department what would have to happen for you to say "are they legit?".

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
:lol:

Just....

:lol:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

It's also Norfolk Naval Shipyard, which is a whole other onion-layer bureaucratic nightmare of competing agencies, military and civilian. I could totally see something like this going under everyone's radar at NNSY.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Some random sailor just gave me his 50% off coupon for an electronic purchase at the NEX while I was buying a new gameboy for my kids(I swear).

Woo! Saved 75 bucks.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Some random sailor just gave me his 50% off coupon for an electronic purchase at the NEX while I was buying a new gameboy for my kids(I swear).

Woo! Saved 75 bucks.

Probably the only time the NEX is competitive on electronics prices

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
There is a really good feeling: after you get out and want to take a long weekend out to Vegas or something. And you don't have to ask permission for going "out of area."

Also not shaving.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Laranzu posted:

Probably the only time the NEX is competitive on electronics prices
Went in to buy a ~$850 TV a couple years back that was actually already slightly cheaper than the Amazon price. I scratched off a 25% discount at checkout on one of the scratcher cards they mail out from time to time and it was like winning a small lottery :feelsgood:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
So CTF 70 and DESRON 15 got fired and CNSP requested to retire a few months earlier then planned.

Gotta say, I saw the DESRON firing coming but the CTF 70 one surprised me.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

ManMythLegend posted:

So CTF 70 and DESRON 15 got fired and CNSP requested to retire a few months earlier then planned.

Gotta say, I saw the DESRON firing coming but the CTF 70 one surprised me.

This makes me so happy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Because we work for CTF 76, we had to do a safety stand down this drill weekend.

lol.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Navy chief at Whidbey barricaded himself in his house... armed barricaded suicidal subject. Off base.

Another chief, his buddy, also base CDO at the time, shows up, sneaks past a deputy as they're staging for tact team, ends up in house.

This ensues...

http://www.whidbeynewstimes.com/news/deputy-shot-killed-armed-man-on-north-whidbey-sunday-night/

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

I'm imagining Benny Hill music.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Driving home from Walmart in Great Lakes, saw a dude on the street corner with a cardboard sign. He was wearing an army digi blouse and his sign said :

"Homeless veteran. USS Patriot DD-214"

What.

My wife won't let me drive back to get a pic.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Driving home from Walmart in Great Lakes, saw a dude on the street corner with a cardboard sign. He was wearing an army digi blouse and his sign said :

"Homeless veteran. USS Patriot DD-214"

What.

My wife won't let me drive back to get a pic.

World War II destroyer USS TRACY. Was really hoping it was named Patriot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
There's also a countermeasures ship USS Patriot. Hmm....

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Oh, I know, the reason I couldn't get a picture is that I was googling that poo poo at the red light.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
http://www.fox30jax.com/news/florida/navy-removes-workers-who-called-babies-mini-satans/611500760

How does Jax work? Navy Nurse, Corpsman, or contractor?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Guy in my battalion killed himself last night, this poo poo is way too common

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

maffew buildings posted:

Guy in my battalion killed himself last night, this poo poo is way too common

Sorry to hear that. I hope your guys are doing okay with the news. It's already a massive problem that leadership keeps trying to solve with 45 minute annual presentations by FFSC, and then wonder why it's not working.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
A sailor onboard one of the Danish vessels taking part in an exercise in the Baltic sea got killed yesterday, by getting stuck in a watertight hatch and squeezed to death. poo poo sucks man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Null Integer posted:

Sorry to hear that. I hope your guys are doing okay with the news. It's already a massive problem that leadership keeps trying to solve with 45 minute annual presentations by FFSC, and then wonder why it's not working.

Yeah we had prevention training three weeks ago. Who the gently caress gundecked it and signed his name when he wasn't there???