Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentF
May 11, 2009

Lid posted:

antibiotics dont do poo poo for viruses but people hate being told if they have a virus nothing cane be done so i guess they want to waste antibiotics on a placebo effect

Seems like dumb anti-SSM trolling about bacteria and viruses being completely different and shouldn't be treated the same.

As with all these stupid distractions, the response is "We're not talking about that. We're talking about marriage for same sex couples."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/gy5gw9/that-vote-no-skywriting-was-crowdfunded-and-now-the-money-is-frozen

Amazing

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.facebook.com/abcqanda/videos/10154681554791831/

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Thanks for the conservative mansplain while penny was talking.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

JBP posted:

Thanks for the conservative mansplain while penny was talking.

"I somehow inhabit a world where social equality is not necessary for freedom, let me tell you all about it!"

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Lid posted:

antibiotics dont do poo poo for viruses but people hate being told if they have a virus nothing cane be done so i guess they want to waste antibiotics on a placebo effect

Most doctors will tell you it's to help prevent secondary infections. Seems reasonable enough to me? :shrug:

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Wheezle posted:

Most doctors will tell you it's to help prevent secondary infections. Seems reasonable enough to me? :shrug:

In a lot of cases it's insistent patients and GPs making the decision that "well, they'll just go somewhere else and they'll prescribe them and I'll lose a patient"

No hard data on this, just observations from GP rotations at med school

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

MikeJF posted:

You've got two logo changes there; 2 and 3 are the same but one is just the text-only version, and 4 and 5 are the same with a campaign-specific flair on 5. This is the dumbest overreaction you've had this week.

These logos are bad and so are you!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

IT might have been robbed of the top spot on the world’s most liveable list, but new research has confirmed life in Brisbane is actually far better than Melbourne.

Brisbane has cemented itself as the nation’s lifestyle capital, with the city home to seven of the top 10 most liveable suburbs in Australia.

Only St Kilda West was able to edge Brisbane suburbs out of the top five, with South Brisbane coming a close second, followed by Dutton Park, Spring Hill and Kangaroo Point.

The suburbs were ranked based on ease of access to schools, parks, beaches and the CBD, by car or public transport.

The findings were compiled by realestate.com.au using its own online trends and Australian Bureau of Statistics data.

And the results speak for themselves.

The Brisbane suburbs in the top five are all a 10 minute drive or less from the CBD, whereas it takes approximately 18 minutes by car to get to St Kilda.

St Kilda West is 5km from Melbourne’s CBD, while South Brisbane is just 2km, and nearly 100 per cent of people living in both suburbs have easy access to schools.

There’s no comparison when it comes to affordability either.

The median house price in St Kilda West is $2.6 million, while it’s $1 million less in South Brisbane.

REA Group chief economist Nerida Conisbee said it wasn’t surprising to see Brisbane dominating the most liveable list.

“We’ve always known Brisbane does have so many amazing lifestyle elements to it, but this proves it,” she said.

Ms Conisbee argued Melbourne was beginning to lose is livability appeal due to population growth and infrastructure bottlenecks.

“The affordability element in Brisbane also really does come in to play,” she said.

“You can buy a property for well under a million dollars and still get those lifestyle elements.”

Last month, The Economist’s global livability report named Melbourne the world’s most liveable city for the seventh year in a row.

Brisbane was 16th on the list.

But demographer Mark McCrindle argues the report focuses too heavily on a city’s economy and not enough on natural amenities, climate and lifestyle.

“Those aspects are where Brisbane really is ahead,” he said.

“That’s why Melbourne did so well and Queensland didn’t.”

Mr McCrindle said Queensland and Victoria were the only two states in the country experiencing positive net interstate migration.

“That’s telling us affordability combined with lifestyle is a pretty powerful driver and Brisbane’s now starting to be recognised,” he said.

Sarah Jones wouldn’t live anywhere else.

The 29-year-old rents in Fortitude Valley and travels just five minutes by train to work in the city.

“I really like the location,” she said.

“There’s loads of stuff to do — restaurants and bars, the river walk, and I don’t have to drive very often.”

She and her friend pay $470 a week to rent their brand new two-bedroom apartment.

“It’s still pretty affordable to live this close to the city,” she said.

TOP 10 MOST LIVEABLE SUBURBS IN AUSTRALIA

1. St Kilda West

2. South Brisbane

3. Dutton Park

4. Spring Hill

5. Kangaroo Point

6. Corinda

7. Albert Park

8. Indooroopilly

9. Port Melbourne

10. Fortitude Valley

(Source: Australian Statistical Geography Standard 2016)

TOP 10 MOST LIVEABLE SUBURBS IN QUEENSLAND

1. South Brisbane

2. Dutton Park

3. Spring Hill

4. Kangaroo Point

5. Corinda

6. Indooroopilly

7. Fortitude Valley

8. Petrie Terrace

9. West End

10. New Farm

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hmm I wonder why Real Estate dot com dot au is suddenly pumping Brisbane???? Wonder what it means for housing affordability around here.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Recent Realestate.com executive property acquisitions Most liveable suburbs

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
A shark in every canal and two hundred rats in every garage

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Can anyone really consider being a Queenslander "living"?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Frogfingers posted:

Can anyone really consider being a Queenslander "living"?

Well they call zombies the "living dead" so the bar is pretty low for use of that word

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Are there actually parts of Fortitude Valley that don't smell like stale piss and meth, or are QLDers just so used to that they don't consider it when buying property?

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
So the discussion has started publically on how marriage equality will be brought in, in the worst possible way if it's under this government.

Scott Morrison wants religious protections

Also in the article, GetUp have made 300 000 phone calls, with only 19000 "meaningful conversations". Ouch.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I thought Indooroopilly was a state of mind, not a suburb.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Resident Idiot posted:

So the discussion has started publically on how marriage equality will be brought in, in the worst possible way if it's under this government.

Also in the article, GetUp have made 300 000 phone calls, with only 19000 "meaningful conversations". Ouch.

Separate but equal has always been what they were aiming for, ever since it became clear to the functional ones that they weren't going to win any straight up and down votes in the long run.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Resident Idiot posted:

"Meaningful conversation" is a term used in political volunteering and is quite rare because most people have generally made up their minds on most issues. It means you've had a conversation that lasted more than 30 seconds with a fence-sitter.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Yeah a 5% rate is pretty good for phone banking.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Thanks- that's comforting at least. It seemed really low but if it's actually good by phone bank standards that's better.

I'm still worried this survey monkey debacle will be a lot closer than it should be, before the right wing try their best to detail the actual legislation.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I hated Brisbane so much I literally moved to the other side of the world to get away from it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

7. Fortitude Valley

Noted good place to live Fortitude Valley.

Anidav posted:

I thought Indooroopilly was a state of mind, not a suburb.

Actually it's a shopping centre.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Actually it's a shopping centre.

Derived from an indigenous word meaning full of loving leeches.

Not even kidding.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I spent five hours in Brisbane last week and felt physically ill. Then I spent four days on the Gold Coast.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/909915846860001281

What a shitshow

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

When I lived in Brisbane for 18 months a decade ago I actually quite liked it. At the time rent was really reasonable and I had a room in a nice apartment in St Lucia with a city view and close access to quick ferries into the cbd.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

We will determine who comes to this country and the circumstances by which they come.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Holy poo poo, talk about being tone deaf

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Holy poo poo

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Do you think that when the current government are finally laughed out of office, that their successors will bother going public about the comic book evil/ridiculous incompetence of the Minister for Immigration and Jackboots; or do you think they'll just let it all get buried while quietly rolling back some of the more insane elements of the present immigration policies so as not to get gangfucked by the right wing media?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Anidav posted:

TOP 10 MOST LIVEABLE SUBURBS IN QUEENSLAND

1. South Brisbane

2. Dutton Park

3. Spring Hill

4. Kangaroo Point

5. Corinda

6. Indooroopilly

7. Fortitude Valley

8. Petrie Terrace

9. West End

10. New Farm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSjB2eVfRGk

JBP posted:

I spent five hours in Brisbane last week and felt physically ill. Then I spent four days on the Gold Coast.
If Brisbane made you ill the Gold Coast should have killed you.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

JBP posted:

Zombie postin'

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Don Dongington posted:

Do you think that when the current government are finally laughed out of office, that their successors will bother going public about the comic book evil/ridiculous incompetence of the Minister for Immigration and Jackboots; or do you think they'll just let it all get buried while quietly rolling back some of the more insane elements of the present immigration policies so as not to get gangfucked by the right wing media?

lol, you have more faith in LAB than me

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

starkebn posted:

lol, you have more faith in LAB than me

Historically speaking, they did it last time. Also, the offshore option is clearly economically, diplomatically, politically and logistically worse than the alternatives, and with mounting debt I would expect them to pursue a cheaper option.

It's far more appealing to their base than raising taxes or cutting services. Which they can't anyway, because they're already trashed.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Don Dongington posted:

They'd never go after Dutton for crimes against humanity as that may open the door to previous Labor governments copping that and if anything they're all a bunch of loving cowards

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

They'd never go after Dutton for crimes against humanity as that may open the door to previous Labor governments copping that and if anything they're all a bunch of loving cowards

This is also why there will never be a Federal ICAC

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

lol Labor thinking of putting Sam Dastyari into the New England Federal Seat when a by election comes up after Barnaby is given the heave ho from that seat.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/ljayes/status/909717296041549824

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

You Am I posted:

lol Labor thinking of putting Sam Dastyari into the New England Federal Seat when a by election comes up after Barnaby is given the heave ho from that seat.

That seems extraordinarily stupid.

• Locked thread