Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
what if north korea has mutant attack communist bears in addition to their nuclear artillery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Unoriginal Name posted:

what if north korea has mutant attack communist bears in addition to their nuclear artillery

No match for Montana mountain bears.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

theflyingorc posted:

I don't think NK has given any sign that they intend to nuke Seoul?

They could still be nuclearizing their deterrence strategy in ways that aren't broadcast through headlines around the world

The talking point about their artillery being weak is defunct. Beyond missiles, I don't know how many ways they're leveraging their program and it's inappropriate to blithely assume the number is zero.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/AP/status/909912774465277952

Sure why not

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Your Parents posted:

its probably because nk keeps putting out press releases claiming that they're going to attack civilian targets as soon as they have the capability and generally making official government communication that's all threats of violence. the language of deterrence usually isnt supposed to be "hit me or i'll hit you first bitch"

if you actually read the statements you'll notice this isn't true at all and every threat the dprk makes is conditional on an action by the us

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

R. Guyovich posted:

if you actually read

may be asking a bit much for this subforum tbqh

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Navy at least desperately needs it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Boon posted:

The Navy at least desperately needs it.

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/909915492697149440

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/909922665942720512

she's running

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Mustached Demon posted:

No match for Montana mountain bears.

shut up shut up shut up

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Maria is now a Category 5 storm and is headed straight for Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, not to mention its current position over the lesser antilles. I hope everyone's family and friends stay safe.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

farraday posted:

Maria is now a Category 5 storm and is headed straight for Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, not to mention its current position over the lesser antilles. I hope everyone's family and friends stay safe.

Well poo poo don't they already have a ton of stuff to rebuild from Irma?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Hell if there is one thing all Americans can agree about it's MORE DEATH MACHINES

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hmmmm yes, you and he certainly seem to know what you're talking about and seem credible.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Jaxyon posted:

this is probably going to leave half a million people without power for a year or something insane

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah half the Caribbean is in ruins.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Boon posted:

Hmmmm yes, you and he certainly seem to know what you're talking about and seem credible.

Lol if you think we need to spend more on the military. Let alone twice the amount we would save if the GOP kicks 32 million off their healthcare.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Boon posted:

We get it, we should just trust you and you don't have to explain yourself because your personal experiences can only grant you authority and never bias.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jaxyon posted:

Pretty soon they won't have to worry about repairs!

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

desk-humping navy drone fancies himself an expert on all things military, quelle suprise!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Pretty soon they won't have to worry about repairs!

it's a grand investment opportunity to construct a wide swath of hurricane resistant infrastructure and buildings!

:smith:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

AriadneThread posted:

it's a grand investment opportunity to construct a wide swath of hurricane resistant infrastructure and buildings!

hmm let me run this through the trumpenator 4000 right fast

and...

there. there it is

AriadneThread posted:

it's a grand grifting opportunity to provide quotes in exchange for deposits for rebuilding infrastructure and buildings, then move on to the next island before the work is begun!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

We get it, we should just trust you and you don't have to explain yourself because your personal experiences can only grant you authority and never bias.

No one said you need to trust me, but I'm probably one of the few sailors in this thread so maybe when it comes to matters like this I have a little more idea of what's going on? Novel concept I know Trabisnkof, just like the one last night where I could hold two individuals at varying levels of disregard at the same time.

For real though, the Navy is in desperate need to fix issues in its maintenance budget which has caused all sorts of issues in readiness and operational capabilities across the fleet, to include aircraft. These are things as mundane as shipyard upgrades, availability periods (maintenance periods), and personnel training and development which hinder both short and long-term prospects for the fleet that we currently have

Boon fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 19, 2017

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Ratoslov posted:

USPOL: shut up shut up shut up

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

skylined! posted:

hmm let me run this through the trumpenator 4000 right fast

and...

there. there it is

yes, that was gallows humor

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

hmm he deleted this for some reason but gillibrand voted against the defense bill

also voted no:
sanders
merkley
leahy
lee
paul
wyden
corker??????

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Maybe one American civilian should be killed for every 1 South Korean, might actually make some of you re-think war when it's suddenly in your country.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Navy has most of those issues because the navy has been stupid.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BrandorKP posted:

Navy has most of those issues because the navy has been stupid.

Well, there are only so many pots of money that you can cut back and no matter what you're going to do you're going to impact operations. It's loving expensive to maintain a Navy, much more a global Navy, and if you're going to mandate the same tempo of operations there isn't a whole lot of options. Sliding maintenance availability and overhaul periods cause compounding problems.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/09/13/navy-4-public-shipyards-are-bad-shape-gao-study-says.html
https://news.usni.org/2017/05/02/lawmakers-to-focus-on-ship-maintenance-funding-in-2018-after-2017-spending-plan-creates-shortfall
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/10/politics/us-navy-planes-grounded/index.html

Boon fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 19, 2017

khy
Aug 15, 2005

boner confessor posted:

:confused: north korea is moderinizing though? they have their own internet. just because north korea is a weird isolated dictatorship with a broken economy and hostile, malicious government doesn't mean that it's not arguably modern. if anything, a big threat to the north korean government is the growing illegal free market that the government can't crack down on which undermines the control of information previously propping up the state

I guess personally I never really thought of the country as 'modernizing' when less than a tenth of a percent of their country even has access to the internet, or when you see those viral space photos of the place where 99.9% of the country is pitch black at night while just China and South Korea are brightly lit. Or when you realize they have like, 5 TV channels. Or when you realize that something like 10% max of the population has a cell phone (Though I have seen reports that say that number could be greatly, greatly inflated) and everything goes through censorship so strict it makes the Great Firewall just north of them seem tame and mild in comparison.

I mean I guess you could say that the very, very top of the government and military is 'modern' but for the other 99.9% of the country it feels like they're trapped back in the 20th century, and inconsistently at that. Zero internet, terrible terrible infrastructure but hey at least they have cell phones?

khy fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 19, 2017

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Boon posted:

No one said you need to trust me, but I'm probably one of the few sailors in this thread so maybe when it comes to matters like this I have a little more idea of what's going on?

I see no reason to believe that that's the case.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

khy posted:

I guess personally I never really thought of them 'modernizing' when less than a tenth of a percent of their country even has access to the internet, or when you see those viral space photos of the place where 99.9% of the country is pitch black at night while just north and south are brightly lit. Or when you realize they have like, 5 TV channels. Or when you realize that something like 10% max of the population has a cell phone (Though I have seen reports that say that number could be greatly, greatly inflated) and everything goes through censorship so strict it makes the Great Firewall just north of them seem tame and mild in comparison.

they get tons of american, chinese, and japanese media on the black market and the government has unofficially mostly given up on keeping that contained, from what defectors have reported

south korean media will still get you killed though

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Jazerus posted:

they get tons of american, chinese, and japanese media on the black market and the government has unofficially mostly given up on keeping that contained, from what defectors have reported

south korean media will still get you killed though

So what you're saying is we need to get insurgent mangas and rebellious chinese manhwa smuggled into Korea to foment the seeds of a revolution

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
https://twitter.com/GeorgiaTech/status/909953325700747266

I wonder how and if this is going to be covered.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
They have chemical and biological artillery shells too

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

joepinetree posted:

A violent protest of...tech students?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

joepinetree posted:

https://twitter.com/GeorgiaTech/status/909857575541329920

Now I really have to wonder what's going on up there.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

A violent protest of...tech students?

In response to this:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/18/us/georgia-tech-student-killed/index.html

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jizz Festival posted:

I see no reason to believe that that's the case.

By all means feel free to step in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

khy posted:

I guess personally I never really thought of them 'modernizing' when less than a tenth of a percent of their country even has access to the internet, or when you see those viral space photos of the place where 99.9% of the country is pitch black at night while just north and south are brightly lit. Or when you realize they have like, 5 TV channels. Or when you realize that something like 10% max of the population has a cell phone (Though I have seen reports that say that number could be greatly, greatly inflated) and everything goes through censorship so strict it makes the Great Firewall just north of them seem tame and mild in comparison.

you're changing tack here - previously you were using "modernize" in the context of the north korean economy and how much of it they devote to their military budget. an unsustainably high amount, for sure, but north korea has something of a weakly functioning modern economy after recent (post kim jong-il) reforms as it slowly crawls towards something that works. north korea has factories and engages in limited global trade and is very slowly permitting limited private enterprise in chinese style economic reforms

but now you're talking about "modernize" from the perspective of the average north korean consumer and their personal electronics and media consumption, which is a different topic than the national economy

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/GeorgiaTech/status/909857575541329920

Now I really have to wonder what's going on up there.

most likely someone stirred up trouble at the vigil

• Locked thread