Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Congrats don't overthink it everything will be ok. Great news on the baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hell yeah dude, glad everyone is healthy.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Wrar posted:

Hell yeah dude, glad everyone is healthy.

Not my Grandma, she just passed away. Born in 1923, served as a nurse in London during the blitz. Never talked about it, just said it was what they needed to do. The picture perfect, proper English grand mother and she's been ailing for years. She's finally at rest.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Considering I'm way, way too sober for this and out of cigarettes entirely, I suppose there's not much left to do other than crank one out in memory of dear sweet gran

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

'nthing Cograts Larrymer!

Also, as a child of the 80s,
:rip: Bobby the Brain

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
congrats Larrymer, hope you guys are home as soon as possible. Speaking as a recent uncle, don't be afraid to go back if you think something is up. My brother's wife and kid were re-admitted a couple of days after going home due to the baby not feeding well. They said they agonised over the decision but it was the best thing they could have done.

DICK DICER posted:

Not my Grandma, she just passed away. Born in 1923, served as a nurse in London during the blitz. Never talked about it, just said it was what they needed to do. The picture perfect, proper English grand mother and she's been ailing for years. She's finally at rest.

Sorry to hear that Dave, it's always awful to lose someone. Like you say she's at rest now.

DICK DICER posted:

Considering I'm way, way too sober for this and out of cigarettes entirely, I suppose there's not much left to do other than crank one out in memory of dear sweet gran

so can anyone do this or do you have to be bereaved?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

DICK DICER posted:

Make sure you're saluting when you finish.

Sorry to hear about her passing, Dave. She lived a longer life than most.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Kazinsal posted:

Make sure you're saluting when you finish.

tiny one gun salute

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

freelop posted:

Does that screwdriver come from a grey plastic carry case with a clear front window and I think came from Lidl?

I have no clue it's not my photo, I just stole it from the only place on the internet which appears to have said image (because I couldn't be arsed to photograph it myself).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ahaha my senior design professor has spent the first 20 minute of this class just roasting the gently caress out of a guy who was on his senior design team however many decades ago, and who was apparently just an absolute fuckup in every way. Was on two separate design teams, lied to them both re conflicting meeting times, contributed a couple paragraphs to a 150-page report, completely hosed up the group's presentation, you get the idea.

"Jim somehow graduated, in spite of our 5-page comments on his peer review. I firmly believe that his greatest contribution to the entire engineering profession is this story, his example of exactly what NOT to do in this course."

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

DICK DICER posted:

Think of the queen. The young cute queen who was an ambulance driver and mechanic.

Enourmo posted:

"Jim somehow graduated, in spite of our 5-page comments on his peer review. I firmly believe that his greatest contribution to the entire engineering profession is this story, his example of exactly what NOT to do in this course."

What was the specific impulse of that burn? Because drat!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

cakesmith handyman posted:

Think of the queen. The young cute queen who was an ambulance driver and mechanic.

For England!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So I had to go to hanford and bakersfield for work this week. Enterprise ran out of economy cars, so I got a black chevy tahoe. It is big, makes no sense for what I'm doing, and handles like hell.
However, blasting down 99 in a blacked out tahoe in a suit just feels right.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Enourmo posted:

Ahaha my senior design professor has spent the first 20 minute of this class just roasting the gently caress out of a guy who was on his senior design team however many decades ago, and who was apparently just an absolute fuckup in every way. Was on two separate design teams, lied to them both re conflicting meeting times, contributed a couple paragraphs to a 150-page report, completely hosed up the group's presentation, you get the idea.

I think I've worked with that guy. Fat redheaded dude with a scraggly beard and long greasy hair, wouldn't shut the gently caress up about Dragonforce or WoW, spent basically all of his time looking at WoW stats and memes online, didn't contribute a single line of functional code to the project.

I believe I told him to go die in a fire.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

nm posted:

So I had to go to hanford and bakersfield for work this week. Enterprise ran out of economy cars, so I got a black chevy tahoe. It is big, makes no sense for what I'm doing, and handles like hell.
However, blasting down 99 in a blacked out tahoe in a suit just feels right.

It does.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enourmo posted:

That's basically a skater, every company has one, they spend all their effort on trying to work the least amount possible and contribute nothing. Bonus points if it's due to nepotism.

We have an idiot like that, son of the GM, got kicked out of the Army now works in maintenance for us. Completely worthless, to the point where he does more harm than good and we'd rather he just stay home and collect a paycheck, because at least then he wouldn't gently caress anything up.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Soooo, do I buy a reputable reflash that's $texas or should I just have a Romanian person phone into my laptop and have him do the ECU tuning for mere 300 euro-bux? The car in US money is 2006 Acura TSX (Accord CL9 K24)

No, I'm going to do it anyway. Sergei said he dislikes diesels, match made in heaven :allears:

(I'll try to record this on a video)

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
So some numpty in an RV scraped the entire driver's side of my wife's car yesterday in the parking lot of her work--bigass dent in the rear door, damage to the rear quarter panel, tore off the wing mirror. Fortunately one of the regulars saw it and kept the him from driving off and we got the accident report from the highway patrol including his insurance info.

Unfortunately I know it's going to be well over $1500 worth of bodywork and the car (98 Honda Accord) is only worth about that much. I'll probably buy it back as a salvage title since it's easily drivable and I can put a new wing mirror on myself, but it means I'm shopping for a new car far sooner than I wanted to. I was really enjoying not having a car payment for the last few years.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hondas are a pretty well known quantity, you should be able to get a Hondadata flash or something for it fairly cheap.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Wrar posted:

Hondas are a pretty well known quantity, you should be able to get a Hondadata flash or something for it fairly cheap.
I'm in EU. Anything Honda is cheap in the US, but alas, in EU you pay for the privilege. This is the cheapest option I've seen that retains the cruise control etc. what my daily driver needs.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

cakesmith handyman posted:

This is almost foreshadowing. Just wait a couple of days

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Magnus Praeda posted:

So some numpty in an RV scraped the entire driver's side of my wife's car yesterday in the parking lot of her work--bigass dent in the rear door, damage to the rear quarter panel, tore off the wing mirror. Fortunately one of the regulars saw it and kept the him from driving off and we got the accident report from the highway patrol including his insurance info.

Unfortunately I know it's going to be well over $1500 worth of bodywork and the car (98 Honda Accord) is only worth about that much. I'll probably buy it back as a salvage title since it's easily drivable and I can put a new wing mirror on myself, but it means I'm shopping for a new car far sooner than I wanted to. I was really enjoying not having a car payment for the last few years.

Blows, but at least someone looked out for you. You should get them a gift card or a 6 pack or something.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

angryrobots posted:

Blows, but at least someone looked out for you. You should get them a gift card or a 6 pack or something.

Yeah, definitely. The woman who caught them/reported it is also on one of the Hot Shot crews so we're doubly grateful for her. My wife's planning on buying her her meal next time she comes in (my wife's second job/where this happened is a sandwich shop).

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
All of the sudden car (2001 Taurus) sounds sluggish when starting. Wife just lost her keys and had to take the kids to unlock car and it barely started (sounded like an almost dead battery) except I got it to start and it runs normally and no voltage warnings. Starter going out? No clicking just barely turned over

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'd get the battery tested.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
WIll head to Advance in the morning

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Maria's a loving cat 5 out of nowhere lmao

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Enourmo posted:

Hopefully it does what they say it will and curves away, but after Irma, I think we've all learned that predictive tracks are pretty useless until about 24 hours out.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Central valley update: bakersfield has a malt shop with booze like 2 blocks from my hotel.
Local saison is loving bomb. So is the ice cream.
Things looking up.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Enourmo posted:

hot water

global warming is a myth tho

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah, the whole Southern Atlantic and Carribean are 5-10 degrees above normal. Hence incubators for tropical storm enhancement.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But there's snow hello

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
hello

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Forecasts from the Canadian and European model seem to be doing pretty well for 72 hours. After that it's all a guessing game.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

nm posted:

Central valley update: bakersfield has a malt shop with booze like 2 blocks from my hotel.
Local saison is loving bomb. So is the ice cream.
Things looking up.

Saison is good poo poo. If I'm still brewing late spring I'll definitely get some on to enjoy late summer. Odds are low though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Getting ready to head to San Diego tomorrow for our annual "IS Camp" conference/team building/meet the guys who work in other states thing. From what I hear, there will be fun and drinking. Hey, free trip to California!
Looking forward to the event. Not looking forward to 3 hours in cattle car flight. 6'2" 280 lbs. + American Airlines steerage class do not go together well.
Must remember not to chuck my pocket knife and multi-tool into my pockets by habit tomorrow morning. No checked bags, so I guess I'll be naked without tools for a few days.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Stupid craigslist tempting me to spend money I don't have.

I should put a parental control on my network to save me from myself.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
So, since my wife's car got smacked, I got to go looking at cars today. The one that really piqued my interest is an 08 MKX for 9k; it'd be a significant "step up" from a 98 Accord but what does the AI hivemind have to say about what to look out for? I know it just got a new water pump and I can see if I can get more service records.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Magnus Praeda posted:

So, since my wife's car got smacked, I got to go looking at cars today. The one that really piqued my interest is an 08 MKX for 9k; it'd be a significant "step up" from a 98 Accord but what does the AI hivemind have to say about what to look out for? I know it just got a new water pump and I can see if I can get more service records.

it's bad

for real though my brother and sister in law have the mercury and ford version of it and they have a shitload of electronic issues + a weird transmission issue

EDIT: i'm an idiot and am thinking of the mkz i think

i still wouldnt buy early naught's ford

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Magnus Praeda posted:

What are you looking for in a vehicle? Looking at a $9k 9 year old vehicle I'm kinda wanting to suggest you look into putting 5-9k down on something new in the 15k range.

• Locked thread