Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's sad that they never managed to make the orcs a credible threat for the Empire in WH1. I've never seen Grimgor outside of the badlands and that really sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Jum-Jum posted:

Dark Elves intro!
https://youtu.be/HvpmDKVSRl8?t=70

I'm loving this. Watching these cutscenes makes me want a animated lore series or something of Warhammer Fantasy.

Caledor Dragontamer: Aenarion's chief wizard. As the name implies, he was good with dragons. He was also the guy whose plan Aenarion figured was good enough to justify the whole "drat myself, my line, and all my works to madness and ruin" thing: "No, seriously, your majesty: I can fix this- just give me a bunch of wizards and we'll shoot the spare magic into space."

Malekith's plan wasn't so much to blow up the Vortex as it was to yoink its magical power, and then use the godlike magical power this granted him to finally wipe out his adversaries. Uncle Caledor appearing from the mists to bitchslap his entire kingdom across the sea came as an unpleasant shock.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Is it just me or does Malekith's voice change after the cutscene ends.

also yes they definitely changed VAs at some point

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Kainser posted:

High and Dark magic are full lores, but it seems like all caster lords in Warhammer 2 has a mix of spells. Morathi has a mix of Shadow/Death/Dark magic for example and Mazdamundi has a bunch of the most popular spells from several lores etc.

(Shadow, Dark, Death, Death respectively as Morathis first 4 spells)

Caster heroes still work like they do in Warhammer 1.

that is what I was worried about

I guess they couldn't find room in the budget

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Third World Reggin posted:

that is what I was worried about

I guess they couldn't find room in the budget

High and Dark magic are full lores. There are High and Dark magic heroes with unique spells. To differentiate caster heroes from casters lords (since that was a problem in Warhammer 1) they decided to give the caster lords a collection of spells from different lores instead of just a single one.

Not sure how to make this clearer.

e; Malekith counts as a melee lord so they just gave him dark magic. Look at all these spells lazily copied from other lores:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 18, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

sorry, thought you were responding to the question I had asked about table top, not the game

I completely missed power of darkness in the other screen shot

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Gonkish posted:

Watching the CA streamers use the heavens breath spell against the Skaven was amazing. Did they buff magic? It basically wiped several units of slaves in an instant, and the only spell I've seen that can do that in the first game is Winds of Death.

Without having seen the stream or anything, I'm just gonna guess it's because skaven and high elf units are low HP, say you used a AOE spell that did 50 damage to everything, a human might have 60 HP before it fell over and a skaven might have 40, the skaven will die from the spell but the other guys will keep fighting until a stiff breeze hits them.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

That stream was fantastic. The early battles against 5k Skaven were just hilarious and quell any fears of the Skaven not being 'hordey' enough. I am definitely playing Lizardmen first, I was going to go with Maz but Kroq-Gar's army buffs are unreal.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I really like the skaven backdrop for their cities in combat

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

That stream was fantastic. The early battles against 5k Skaven were just hilarious and quell any fears of the Skaven not being 'hordey' enough. I am definitely playing Lizardmen first, I was going to go with Maz but Kroq-Gar's army buffs are unreal.

It was far and away the best stream CA have done. Hope the rest of the pre-release hype streams are of similar quality.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Kroxigor employ the troll kick technique.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

John Charity Spring posted:

It was far and away the best stream CA have done. Hope the rest of the pre-release hype streams are of similar quality.

Yeah, Dogbert knows his poo poo inside-out, upside-down and backwards, and is capable enough to actually do it AND keep the banter up with Whelan. It worked well, and was informative and fun to watch. Worlds better than the TB streams.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
So what's the best/quickest way to cheese through the Von Carstein campaign on normal? I kinda hosed myself by leaving the Dwarfs alone and nuking the Empire and most of their dependencies. When Archaeon and friends showed up they made a bee line for me while the Dwarfs declared war and sacked two of my core cities. My four armies are too far away to intervene before more gets trashed and too close to the remaining two Chaos stacks, so I'm probably going to start over.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I don't know how I feel about the climate system. It seems like it will take away from unique occupation methods. Wood elves, for example would be at a disadvantage in the grand campaign if they could only build t1 outposts when other races could build full settlements.

Instead I feel like it should be dynamic:
Empire: can occupy Brettonia, and Vampire Counts; colonist subfaction can occupy coastal settlements like Norsca currently can, though limited to t2.
Brettonia: can occupy Empire, Vampire Counts, and Tomb Kings (when added)
Vampire Counts: Can occupy other human settlements, Tomb Kings and any coastal settlement that has some minimum amount of Vampiric corruption.
Dwarves: can occupy Greenskin, Skaven, and any territory that was once a former dwarf hold that other factions might be occupying.
Greenskins: Can occupy Dwarf, Chaos Dwarf,and Skaven settlements. Can also occupy Norscan and dark elf native ports.
Wood Elves: Can set up t1 outposts everywhere and treat other elf settlements like their own home areas. However, enemy movement penalties and attrition only apply in their 'home' areas and not some dump like Naggaroth.
High Elves: Can occupy other native elf settlements (but not wood elf outposts or dark elf slave ports)
Dark Elves: Can occupy other native elf settlements as well as any coastal settlement if you have a black ark nearby. This becomes a slave port max t2
settlement.
Tomb Kings: Can occupy Vampire count native settlements and former Tomb King territories controlled by Araby/Brettonian crusaders.
Chaos Dwarfs: Can occupy Dwarf, Greenskin, Norscan and Skaven settlements.

With this every faction has a means to establish a toe hold on other regions and most can capture ports of many different races.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 19, 2017

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

DO IT TO IT posted:

In TT 8th edition, High Magic was an actual lore with its own spells. High Elves and Lizardmen both had access to it, but there might've been differences between their 2 versions? Can't recall exactly.

High Elves, Wood Elves and Lizardmen all had access to it in 8th and they all shared the same spells. However, each of them had a different Lore attribute. IIRC the ones for the Elves gave the wizard or the unit he was in a small defensive buff every time he casted, with each of them working differently. Meanwhile the Lizardmens' attribute was that the Slann (Skink Priests didn't have access to High Magic) could discard a spell right after casting it and immediately roll up a new spell from any of the 8 basic lores (or pick a signature spell from any of them) in its place, which could make them ludicrously versatile over the course of a game.

Magni fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 19, 2017

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Constantine XI posted:

So what's the best/quickest way to cheese through the Von Carstein campaign on normal? I kinda hosed myself by leaving the Dwarfs alone and nuking the Empire and most of their dependencies. When Archaeon and friends showed up they made a bee line for me while the Dwarfs declared war and sacked two of my core cities. My four armies are too far away to intervene before more gets trashed and too close to the remaining two Chaos stacks, so I'm probably going to start over.

Just go back\go kill the chaos invasion?

If you have four vamp armies vs two chaos left overs you should mop up easily.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Panfilo posted:

I don't know how I feel about the climate system. It seems like it will take away from unique occupation methods. Wood elves, for example would be at a disadvantage in the grand campaign if they could only build t1 outposts when other races could build full settlements.

Empire: can occupy Brettonia, and Vampire Counts; colonist subfaction can occupy coastal settlements like Norsca currently can, though limited to t2.
Vampire Counts: Can occupy other human settlements, Tomb Kings and any coastal settlement that has some minimum amount of Vampiric corruption.
Dwarves: can occupy Greenskin, Skaven, and any territory that was once a former dwarf hold that other factions might be occupying.
Greenskins: Can occupy Dwarf, Chaos Dwarf,and Skaven settlements. Can also occupy Norscan and dark elf native ports.
Wood Elves: Can set up t1 outposts everywhere and treat other elf settlements like their own home areas. However, enemy movement penalties and attrition only apply in their 'home' areas and not some dump like Naggaroth.
High Elves: Can occupy other native elf settlements (but not wood elf outposts or dark elf slave ports)
Dark Elves: Can occupy other native elf settlements as well as any coastal settlement if you have a black ark nearby. This becomes a slave port max t2
settlement.
Tomb Kings: Can occupy Vampire count native settlements and former Tomb King territories controlled by Araby/Brettonian crusaders.

With this every faction has a means to establish a toe hold on other regions and most can capture ports of many different races.

I guess a lot of this stuff can/will get modded in by the time we get the merged campaign map.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The reason why they ditched racial settlement rules for W2 is probably because it's a shitload of special case rules with so many factions and no newbie can really be expected to memorize all of it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

It likely also contributes to the problem they had in the Badlands, where it ends up as an essentially impregnable fortress for either the Dwarfs or the Greenskins.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Panfilo posted:

settlement.

Counterpoint: This is a needlessly complicated web of special rules and is a dumb and bad idea

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I like the climate idea, why can't my skeletons spook up a mountain? what do they care if it stinks of beards and beer?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

unwantedplatypus posted:

Counterpoint: This is a needlessly complicated web of special rules and is a dumb and bad idea

also seems static and not dynamic

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012
This is why I roll with Chaos Warriors, "Hmm, should I A) Raze this poo poo to the ground and turn it into a literal man-eating hellscape, or B) Raze this poo poo to the ground and get rich doing it.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I like the climate idea, why can't my skeletons spook up a mountain? what do they care if it stinks of beards and beer?

It's not the skellies. It's the vampires. Because what self-respecting vampire count would live in some drafty cave a hundred miles from civilisation, with the local food being some of the most bland and simultaneously annoyingly combative around?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Hey, roads are back!

Lizardmen are great. Their transportation infrastructure is a fat frog looking in a pond! :v:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Magni posted:

It's not the skellies. It's the vampires. Because what self-respecting vampire count would live in some drafty cave a hundred miles from civilisation, with the local food being some of the most bland and simultaneously annoyingly combative around?

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Strigoi_Ghoul_King

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

William Bear posted:

Hey, roads are back!

Lizardmen are great. Their transportation infrastructure is a fat frog looking in a pond! :v:

This would seem to alleviate at least some of the "JUST OUT OF REACH gently caress YOUUUUU" issues we had with the AI in game one.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

William Bear posted:

Hey, roads are back!

the word transportation can be dropped from this sentence with minimal loss to accuracy

the ziggurats are mostly to keep the skinks feeling productive, honestly

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

because it stinks of beards and beer, there's no sand, and the local terrain is frankly garbage for chariot races. i mean, make no mistake, it's better than sitting around chatting with the other landless courtiers, but this territory has junior-dynast-who-will-view-this-domain-as-an-insult-containing-its-own-armed-rebellion-against-the-crown-solution written all over it

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Magni posted:

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Neferata

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
well now the rats start coming and they don't stop coming

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
The problem is that the climate system indirectly nerfs Wood Elf outposts. So other factions can get T3 settlements anywhere but the Wood Elves have to settle for their dinky little T1 outposts? That's kind of unfair. At least with my idea each race has 1 or 2 other races they can occupy, plus several special cases letting them expand, particularly via ports. It would also make the AI a lot more interesting as well since it could spread out differently.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
wood elfs presumably are the only ones that get mega forest cities

maybe

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

wood elfs presumably are the only ones that get mega forest cities

maybe

At least some of the new factions get huge 10 slot cities too though.

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

Panfilo posted:

The problem is that the climate system indirectly nerfs Wood Elf outposts. So other factions can get T3 settlements anywhere but the Wood Elves have to settle for their dinky little T1 outposts? That's kind of unfair. At least with my idea each race has 1 or 2 other races they can occupy, plus several special cases letting them expand, particularly via ports. It would also make the AI a lot more interesting as well since it could spread out differently.

Or maybe....

Just maybe....

While CA rework every other races settlement mechanics....

They will also rework.... the Wood Elves?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
alternative point: gently caress the woodelves, their armies get stupid strong from outposts anyway.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Outposts are just razed cities with LoS and replenishment bonuses.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gonkish posted:

This would seem to alleviate at least some of the "JUST OUT OF REACH gently caress YOUUUUU" issues we had with the AI in game one.

Yeah, that's basically CA formalising the pretty popular "+movement in home regions" mod. A bit annoying that it seems to be yet another near-mandatory building, but the additional building slots and bonuses probably make up for it, particularly if you can put them into minor settlements.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I'd really like it if they moved back to the shogun 2 system for road buildings, where they were a special slot present in all provinces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I probably won't ever build those roads buildings.

Note they work for the region, not the province.

• Locked thread