Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Brunom1 posted:

Got a new update incoming, but I reckon it'd be best to get a new page.

We need 2+ posts for this, so I ask you, thread: are you ready to go full Super Saiyan and jettison any semblance of difficulty from the game?

Gogogo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Back again, Kenji has closed the gap with Daiya ever-so-slightly, but it’s still quite the tight race.

In regards to upgrades, a good bunch of the cash I made last mission went towards giving the Dancouga a few pips and, more importantly, getting Goh up to 50% (I’d been neglecting his upgrades a bit).
His Squad Bonus actually changes between the Dannar, Godannar with Mira and Godannar with Anna: all forms get melee weapons’ power +200, armor +150 and movement +1, but the last bit can be EN +100 (Dannar), Accuracy +15 (Mira) or Mobility +15 (Anna).
For Skill Parts, Kouji took Guard and Daiya got Infight up to L3.

Dick, Daiya, Norza and Lee are deploying as events, so we change accordingly. Do note that the Daichi and Tenku Maryu take up unit slots, despite being ships; we’ve 18 slots available now, so keep that in mind.
Ozma/Luca
Asuka/Domyoji
Kouichi/Quatre
Iczer-3/Zechs
Kenji/Kyo
Jeeg/Micchi
Voltes/Yanma
Alto/Michel
Combattler/Rei
Shinn/Puria
Goh/Anna
Tetsuya/Canaria
Shinji/Rey
Kouji/Yagyuu
Dancouga/Hilde
Ichitaka/Miu

Also, make note that there’s a not-insignificant amount of water in this stage.

Lady Une’s given Lulu full authority to represent us in the meeting with Emperor Darius. The girl promises to rise to the occasion, but is warned to keep in mind that this might be a trap. Be careful.

By the hangar, Ichitaka and Kouichi are filled with glee over seeing all three Giants of Flame before their eyes. Daiya had told them about the other two before, but nothing beats the real deal! This is our first time meeting most of these people, so this calls for some introductions. Ichitaka does have a warning for Kouichi: “Things are a bit crazy right now, so maybe hold off on asking for autographs?”
Hey, now, whoever would be so shameless to try something like that! “I’m not a fanboy, you know!” Kouichi objects… though that holds little water when, as Nagisa points out, he can’t even look us in the eye when saying it. Whatever the case, we’ll start with Lee, who Noin remembers as piloting one of the Gaiking support units – the Serpent.

He’s got the Vulking now, of course, but is always ready to deploy in his old unit if the situation calls for it. As for the Raiking, it’s manned by the northern general, Norza. That’s quite the old-school rank, thinks Heine, but Kain explains it’s due to him being one of the former Darius generals. He obviously quit the job when he turned against Proist, though.
That’s all in the past for Norza, but Jack can still tell from his stance that he’s a warrior of considerable skill. Would he care to spar later? Sure, when there are no enemies left to keep his blade busy.

Next up is Vestanu, former western general and leader of the Iron Beast Corps. She also couldn’t abide to Proist’s foul tactics and left the Darius Army, bringing her subordinate, Rebecca, along. As for Kain, he’s Norza’s right-hand man.
Puria makes note of how Lee’s also Daiya’s kenpo teacher… though the man himself admits the kid’s already stronger than him. Daiya doubts it, saying he still needs to polish his skill a whole lot more to get on Lee’s level.

Speaking of, Daiya thanks Ichitaka for covering for him while he got the Shinryu Hydro Blazer ready. Kouichi’s proud of him and Alice mastering their new finishing move. Turns out Ichitaka taking a cold shower when he did actually helped him figure out what needed to be done – all thanks to Kenji and Tsubaki’s convo giving him the idea. Well, if he’s grateful, Kenji suggests he can treat him to lunch sometime!
Sounds good, and there’s this kickass ramen stand near his house – they give out student discounts, even! Kenji can hardly wait but, of course, that all depends on how well our meeting with the Emperor goes, and whether we can wrap up the battle with the Darius.

Over by Lulu’s room, she’s getting a visit from Dick. He can tell she’s nervous about meeting the Emperor, and she won’t deny it. The guy’s talk about his people moving into space would be great if true, but the suddenness of it all has her suspicious, isn’t that right?
Lulu’s surprised that he can read her so well but, regardless, if the Darian people really are going to search the universe for a new home, she’d like to help. “Well, wherever you go, I’ll follow,” Dick proclaims. “And when this battle’s over, when your dream’s been fulfilled… I…”
The talk’s interrupted when Rosa calls in; they’re getting close to the specified area, so Lulu has to get back to the bridge.

As we’re arriving, Naoto spots a Giant up ahead. That’s the Darius Emperor or, rather, what Vestanu and the others believed to be the Emperor. The Daiku Maryu moves to settle down next to it.

: I am Misato Katsuragi, LOTUS’ commanding officer.
: Lulu, captain of the Daiku Maryu.
: I am Emperor Darius XVII. The Giant you saw is my facsimile… Or perhaps it is best described as my castle.
: Regardless, as I said previously, I no longer wish for us to fight.
: Still, Emperor, you must understand that it’s hard for us to simply believe you after everything that’s happened.
: And I do not blame you. However, I speak no lie – rather, I swear it upon my name. All I want now is to stop Proist. The Daiku Maryu stands for all of mankind, and that is my request to you.
: And I vouch for the Emperor’s words as another Earthling.
: Dad…!
: It’s been a long time, Daiya.
: Dad… you were alright… Thank God. Now you can come home with me! Mom’s waiting for you!
: … I cannot do that. I’ve a duty as a scientist to help the Emperor.
: Dad…
: Very well, Emperor Darius. If you’re willing to proclaim as much, then we are willing to cooperate with you.

*BOOM!*

: What?! An attack?!
: Over there! Something’s headed this way!
: It’s the four generals’ Galeans! And Proist!
: So it WAS a trap!
: No! I ordered none of this!
: Father… I’ve come to welcome you when I heard that the King Darius had reached the surface… but, pray tell, why are you in the company of the Daiku Maryu?
: Proist! I… I want to put an end to your offensive against the surface! It was with that in mind that I met with them to secure an alliance…
: End my offensive? Why do you want that? All I’ve done was to create a beautiful world, of beautiful people, just for you…!
: Oh, I see… It was you. You people fed my father lies, didn’t you…?
: You filthy surfacers! I’ll slaughter the lot of you!

*BOOM!*

: All hands, execute Plan D! Move to engage the enemy!
: Your Majesty, it is dangerous to say here! Come with me!
: Where’re you trying to take my father, Doctor Two?!

*CRAAAASH!*

: GAAAH!
: Emperor! Dad!
: Watch out!

*Jump and grab!*

: Urk…
: Are you well, father of Daiya?
: Thank you, sir. I’m fine… but the Emperor is…
: Aah! Father!!
: Pro…ist…
: I was trying to rescue you! Why didn’t you stand still? I wasn’t going to attack you…
: …
: Father…? What’s the matter, father? Why won’t you speak to me?
: Aah—AAAAAAAH! FATHER!! You… you…!
: You vermin!! It’s because of you that my father died!!
: What the hell?! Any way you slice it, you—
: SHUT UUUUP!! You… You’ll all pay for this!!

Mission 25 – A God to Bring Woe and Grief to an End

Now in stereo!
If you’ve got some 50-ish minutes to spare, do listen to Dvořák’s full 9th symphony.

: That’s!
: Hmhmhm… The Chou Maryu Final Dvorak is made perfect at last!
: What an intimidating visage… It sure deserves its title…!
: And now, you filthy bacteria, shut your traps and listen to my grand symphony!
: Launch all troops! Hurry!

: I can’t believe this… the energy readings we’re getting from the Dvorak are far stronger than the original one’s!
: I suppose she wasn’t just showing off when she said it was perfect.
: But we can’t let her scare us! That selfish girl needs to be put in her place!
: Take a look, dad! We’ll take Proist down and protect both the surface and the Darius World from her!

Mission Objective: Destroy all enemy units
Mission Failure: Any battleship, Gaiking, Raiking, Vulking or the Kill Jaguar shot down
Pretty much a retread of the previous fights, only with some added stuff for you to watch out for. First and foremost, the terrain’s kind of against your grounded troops: there’s a river running straight across the battleground, the northern corner’s sea, and there are forests everywhere. Anyone that can’t fly will be moving slower than most (remember your good friend Yanma).
Proist will still hang back for a long time, but her goons will all rush in from the get-go. Keep an eye out, as the Galeans can hurt and even a Super may be in trouble if they decide to focus fire (to say nothing of how the Darius mooks pack a heftier punch than most).

As for the Final Dvorak, it’s everything the original one was, but better (except its regen, which is worse). Proist is still a monster of a pilot and the thing’s still got plenty of accuracy, range and power.
But what you REALLY wanna keep an eye out is her new Hellfire Bullet MAPW: it’s got that +30 accuracy modifier but, worse, it is now a targetable 4x4 AoE anywhere in an 8-tile radius around her. It can’t hit point-blank, but that doesn’t really matter because she’ll be raining it down on your guys as they approach.
I can’t really give you any big tips here outside of try to keep your guys as spread out as can be. Easier said than done, of course, as there’s a bevy of enemies in the way and only so much room to move around due to the water and forests. Worst case scenario, pack you reals inside a ship and ferry them over, though they should all be capable of taking at least one hit on the chin.

Let’s get to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2y-kZ1z9TA
Gee, Asuka, how come Gendou lets you have TWO knives?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OswTHXLVOk
And I’ve finally managed to find an opportunity to show off Rey’s strongest attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8tChci744I
Aha, got the Valeon’s attack to connect. I kinda wish we could hijack a couple of these Darius Giants for us to use…

Lee’s HP draws in a bunch of enemies, so never be afraid of answering with his Corona Blast to neuter a few of them for a turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5B_U5wdUpQ

: Alright! That’s one of her generals down!
: Hmhmhm… useless.

: What?!
: She can regen even other units?!
: Which is why I said it’s useless! You’re powerless! It’s impossible for you to stop me!
: We can, and we will, Proist! I’m shutting down all your plans!
: If we go for the four generals, the Dvorak will simply restore them as it did just now. Think before you attack or we’ll exhaust ourselves!
: Aye, aye!

Oh, yeah, there’s also that. Until you get rid of Proist, she’ll simply heal her goons to full; also, she’ll spawn eight fresh enemies whenever their numbers fall under 12 (only thrice, though).
FYI, the generals will only give out cash the first time you kill them, so don’t get clever and try to farm them. Feel free to take the mooks if you’re not strapped for resources, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgoaM8l8wtw
Here’s the Daichi Maryu’s strongest attack (DK included) outside of its combined one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymrB3Zmi0xU
As I’m moving in, of course, Proist starts firing. Shinn, Quatre and Domyoji take some decent damage, but overall our folks are fine.
The second time she does it, though, the Big Shooters, Yagyuu, Alto and Michel lose some 80% of their HP. Still fine!
I suggest leaving Iron Walled ships behind to draw the attention of the generals.

We also get this nice little set-up.

Cha-ching!

And now for Proist herself.

: Now this isn’t an enemy we can beat the regular way…
: The other shoe dropped, eh? I’m the strongest being alive. You don’t have a one in a million shot at winning this!
: Doesn’t stop me from rolling the die. And, whatever the case, ours isn’t a “regular” group.
: That’s how I know this battle WILL end in our favor. You’re right that our odds aren’t one in a million – they’re a million in a million!

Dick: “I’m not letting you get even one fingernail on my goddess!”

: The Daiku Maryu dares fight the Chou Maryu? You idiots don’t get that you can’t win, huh?!
: Kch…! W-We…!
: Remember, Lulu. You’re not facing her by your lonesome.
: We’re all here with you!
: Go, Lulu!
: Guys… thank you! She won’t break me!
: Angle the Daiku Maryu towards the dead center of the enemy forces and charge! Our bonds will crush her!

--

: We’re still here, and you’re not wasting everything dad and Emperor Darius did on our watch!
: Daiya Tsuwabuki… It is time to pass judgment onto you. Your sentence…
: Is DEATH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d91p2bE8jQc

: Enough… Would someone please kill them… bring me some measure of peace…
: Give this heartbroken girl a GODDAMN BREAK!
: If that’s how you feel, please stop attacking! Let’s calm down and talk! I’m sure we can—
: Don’t tell me what to do, worm! Maybe I oughta kill you first!
: Not while I’m around! I’m gonna give you your just desserts, and then Nagisa won’t have to worry!

: I’m surrounded by garbage who can’t even do as told!
: I hate them… I hate the masses, I hate you, your friends, your pets, your families AND your filthy kind! I hate everything, including this stupid world that refuses to BOW DOWN TO ME LIKE IT SHOULD!
: And as long as you let yourself get caught up on that stuff, you’re not winning this!
: Love, and being loved… that’s what keeps us firm! A wacko chick like you ain’t taking us out!

: You took my dear father from me! And right when I was about to become the true empress before his very eyes!
: It was by no one’s hand other than yours that things ended like this, Proist!
: If you’d done as Emperor Darius asked of you, none of this would’ve happened!
: SHUT YOUR MOUTH! My father and I are the only ones who deserve to mold this world!
: What good are all those other maggots?! All they do is suck in air and crap out even more worthless spawn!
: No room for sympathy with this one, that’s for sure…! The Dannar and I’ll sweep away your dark flames!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIIz7SHCHVw

: I’ve just had a fun little idea.
: I promise I won’t destroy one country in exchange for your own father’s life.
: Now make your choice! Your father, or all of a country’s people?! HAHAHAHAAH!
: My dad’s protecting me from this awful, cruel world... That’s how I looked at it, but I was wrong.
: Now… now it’s my turn. Yes, there’re a lot of bad things in this world, but there’s also a lot of good. And I want to keep that world safe!

: I’m sick of toying with you… It’s time for all your pointless lives to get incinerated!
: There’s no such thing as a pointless life… All life’s the same, whether you make something out of it or not!
: And, you? You don’t get to deny any of them!

: A beautiful nation, of beautiful people… that was the paradise I would have made for my father and me…
: If you wanted make a beautiful nation, then you should’ve started by bettering yourself, Proist!
: What did you say…?
: I said that your heart’s hideous! And it shows with everything you do!

: Once more into the fray, Tenku Maryu…! We’ll carry on fighting until the Raiking’s run out of energy!
: You knights were all completely worthless…! Nothing but a mob of fools who dares rebel against their master!
: My master is, and has always been, Lord Norza! I’d never pledge my allegiance to someone who disregarded the Emperor’s will!

Kain: “For all of the Darian peoples!”

: After oh-so-many experiments, you were given the honor of serving as my spare parts… But, alas, how the mighty have fallen! You are now simply a rabid dog, who’s long forgotten who his master is!
: And, of course, had you simply defeated the Gaiking in the first place…
: Then I wouldn’t have KILLED MY FATHER! A weakling like you doesn’t deserve to be my spare parts! The trash heap is all you’re getting!
: I won’t deny that I might’ve been your spare parts in the past. But now it is different!
: What’s different?! Trash is still trash! There’ll be nothing but your ashes when this is over, but not before I gouge out your eyes with all my power!
: Hmph, you are simply clueless. Victory does not go to the strongest… but to those who refuse to surrender until the very end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc76-Nn4PG8

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 19, 2017

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

: Gworgh…!
: There you have it, Proist! That’s all our power for you!
: No, no, nonononoNONO! The Final Dvorak can’t… I CANNOT HAVE LOST!!

: Y-Your Highness!

*All four generals fly towards her.*

: All hostile signals are gone! The Darius Core’s confirmed intact!
: Does that mean…?!
: That the battle with the Darius is over!
: Very good. Now we just have to send a team to recover the Core.
: Well done, Daiya. You’ve grown so strong…
: Dad… I trained so hard to get like this. “I know my dad’s alive, and, someday, I’ll save him”… that’s what I believed, and why I fought all this time!
: You went through a lot of hurt because of me, haven’t you…
: That… That doesn’t matter. What I wanna know is why were you with Emperor Darius…?
: You are aware of all the people trying to live their lives despite the government’s abuse in the Darius World, right?
: I am.
: I wanted to save their future… which is why I proposed the Ark Project to the Emperor, and helped him advance it. If his people had the option of migrating to a new world, there’d be no need for them to invade the surface, or for more blood to be spilled without reason.
: Dad…!
: Hey, your dad’s a pretty stand-up guy, eh, Daiya?
: Yeah… he wasn’t helping with anything bad, just as I thought!
: As I thought, indeed…
: Proist?!
: You’re the one… the one who tricked my father into betraying me…! Both of you’ll die for this!
: What the hell?! Didn’t we beat her?!
: She came back with the lives of her four generals?!
: I did. After all, my loyal commanders were simply biological parts grown for such an eventuality. Higant, Banishum, Telmina, Nikita, you shall live eternally within me!
: What… How can you think it’s OK for anyone to exist just for someone else’s sake?!
: Shinn…
: I’m sorry, but are you giving me attitude? Lest you forget, I have just lost my beloved father… Sorrow grips the heart of the greatest of all beings…
: And I’ll make you vermin pay for all of it! With my father gone, I am now the leader of the Darius! And I’ll show you all the power that gives me!!

: Th-That’s… Emperor Darius’ castle…!
: It is the mightiest of Giants. A guardian of steel that only the Darian ruler may command…
: Its name is King Darius XVII! Oh, wait, I guess its XVIII now!
: Come on, Earthlings! This is where it ends, and I won’t stop until every single one of you have been crushed into bloody paste!
: drat it, she just won’t quit!
: But I’m sure she’s on her last legs! Go for it, guys!

And here it is, Proist’s last trick. On one hand, it is better than the Dvorak in most ways with more HP, range, defenses, power, the works. That said, it is not perfect: for one, its MAPW is only directional (3x7 line), instead of a selectable target – way better for us – and its two strongest moves only have +10 accuracy modifiers.
All other Darius mooks have died, so we don’t have them wearing us down either. Depending on how crazy you got, you might be running out of juice, but the good thing is the King Darius doesn’t regen like the Dvorak did.
That said, since most of your guys have likely moved, I suggest you spread outside her MAPW range and bite the bullet for a turn. You’ll likely need most of your units to take her in one round, and you don’t want Proist to blast you while running Prevail.

Like so.

Thankfully, Kyo dodged it. After the first battle…

: drat, that thing’s strong…!
: Oh, King Darius… you are overwhelming in your splendor. Not even the Final Dvorak could compare.
: Col. Katsuragi, we might want to consider a temporary retreat to reorganize…!
: We also can’t ignore the increasing damage to our forces!
: Hrm…
: But we’ve no idea how long the Darius World will last without the Darius Core… We must fight to the bitter end!
: Your attitude annoys me… Do you fancy yourself the heroine of some light novel?
: Proist, stop! The Emperor wouldn’t have wanted this!
: And who was it that turn said Emperor against me…?
: That was you, and there’ll be no forgiveness!
: And, actually… You’re gonna go through the same pain as me, Daiya Tsuwabuki! Wait, no, you’ll taste a Hell a thousand times worse!
: What’re you doing, Proist?!
: Open your eyes! Watch as your dearly-missed father and the Daiku Maryu go down in flames!!
: !!

: Stop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGBRel7siJk
Proist: The Daiku Maryu shall now fall to earth. > Scream for them, Daiya Tsuwabuki!!
Dick: You’re not hurting Lulu!

: Dick?!
: Psh… I’m supposed to be the level-headed guy. What was I thinking with this…?
: Daiya… take care of Lulu’s dream.
: Huh…?
: … Good luck!

: DIIIIIICK!
: No… this can’t be real…!
: drat… A God of Death isn’t supposed to die, man…!
: HYAAHAHAHA! At least now there’s a bit less trash in the world!
: How could you…! We’ll get you for this!!

Here are the rest of Proist’s attacks before we get going:

: How can you not be ashamed of your idiocy… You are not worthy of being Empress!
: Cheeky ‘til the end…! But the hooey that comes off a traitor’s rotten mouth means absolutely nothing!
: My thoughts are turned to just one thing: the future of the Darius…! The army may have lost its way, but I have never betrayed my people!

--

: Look at how strong that flame burns… I’ve no idea if even my Giant of Flame can handle that one.
: Losing your nerve, are you, surfacer?!
: Come now, don’t sell me short. I couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t see this through!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVMy8585YyU
Here’s her strongest move.

: I know firsthand how much it hurts to lose your dad! And if this battle keeps going, the world’s gonna be full of people like us!
: What is your point…?
: Are you comparing the grief of garbage like you to mine?!
: I killed my own father! Even if millions of your pathetic, trifling parents got slaughtered, your suffering would still mean peanuts next to that!
: That’s where you’re wrong! And if you refuse to stop, then I’ll just have to make you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXfFW3zauuo
And her second weakest, which is actually pretty elaborate.

Now we wrap this up.

:siren: :siren:

: It’s your fault that my father’s dead! Only your lives could ever start to make up for that!
: And what about all the people that’re dead because of you?! I’m sure there were tons of fathers you took from their families!
: Don’t you dare compare the lives of trash to his! The only life that could ever match my father’s is mine!
: …! You…!
: You’ve no right to say that! No one has that right!!

: Is it your turn to be killed now, maggot?
: Screw you! What I’ll do is back up Daiya and my friends all the way through this!
: Because I’m Puria Richardson, the top ace of the Daiku Maryu!

--

: Trust me with your lives, my friends! We’ll bring an end to the war with the Darius here and now!
: The engine’s in the red! We’re good to go!
: You insects are getting too uppity for my tastes!
: Proist…! The red flames within us will never fall to a monster like you!

: What the hell is the point of just your group coming up to the surface?!
: All your subjects are still back in the Darius World! Didja ever think about them?!
: Whoops… I only cared to pick the best of the best, but I guess you’re kinda right… Oh, well!
: My Operation’s the only thing that matters now! Just this battle! Everything else can eat it!
: You are a real monster…! I can’t let you live!

: How can you still not get it?! It’s wrong to think that you’re better than everyone else!
: This maggot’s still ranting about that even after seeing my power…? Guess you’re a bona fide idiot!
: Being an idiot’s fine with me if the other option’s being kill-crazy tyrant preying on the weak!

: This battle’s just the prelude to the end of this world. Rue your weakness and just die. And don’t worry… You’ll have company soon!
: We still have much we need to do. Taking back our own Earth from the Katou Organization, for one!
: And until that happens, come what may, we refuse to die!

: I got a score to settle with you… might as well be now. I’ll give back a million times what you gave me!
: We’re pulling the plug on this war today… So not only are you not settling that score, we’ll be adding to it and dunking you straight into the pits of Hell!

: A crab… You got a death-wish, I see!
: Y-You’re not scaring us off…!
: Everything we did was for this day!
: You might kill us, but we’ll at least get one punch in on you!

--

: You truly are the spawn of nightmares… but soon you’ll be no more…!
: Proist, wait! I’ve recovered the remains of your late father!
: My father’s…?
: And by his heart, I uncovered a device containing his last will and testament. This device… it is a regulator for the DNA of the ancient Zelans, the ancestors of the Darius.
: The one who inherits this is Emperor Darius, and it’s the duty of the previous Emperor to nurture his or hers successor as a suitable vessel for it.
: At the crowning ceremony, the successor’s mind bonds and becomes one with the souls stored within.
: The Emperor said that he wanted to give the Zelan DNA a chance to endure.
: “Let your soul join and be purified by the spirits of Emperors past, and set out to a new world…” That was his message for you.
: What… I… I’m just a vessel…?
: Please, Proist, call off this battle and take up your due legacy! It is consensus among the Emperors that this war wasn’t supposed to happen!
: No… No… NOOOOOO!

*Bzzzt!*

: Hrk?! The flames of her hatred destroyed the device…!
: Daiya Tsuwabuki! Surfacers! I’ll swear it once more… I’ll massacre every single creature in this world!
: Enough with your tantrum! We’re not gonna let your selfishness destroy our planet!!

: Gaaaaah!
: Did we get her?!
: Why… Why?! I was born to be Empress…! I am the greatest being of all…!
: Why should I be unhappy just to bring happiness to my lessers…? I refuse to accept that world!!

: Goddamn, look at how fast it’s regenning!
: There’s no end to this! What’re we gonna do?!
: … There is a way. The Gaiking’s body, the Raiking’s arms, the Vulking’s legs…
: By uniting the strongest parts from every Giant, we may bring forth the ultimate Giant of Flames…!
: They can do that?!
: Theoretically, though we had no pilot who could withstand its supreme might. That said, with the massive growth Daiya’s flame has gone through…
: I believe he could handle… GAIKING THE GREAT!
: “Gaiking the Great”…?!
: Do you speak the truth, surfacer scientist? Could that Giant of Flames actually defeat this monster?!
: Yes…!
: Then it is decided…!

:siren: :ssj: :siren: :ssj:

: Set your soul ablaze, Daiya! And burn Proist to cinders!
: Raiking, Part 1! GO!

: Vulking, Part 2! GO! Fly, Daiya! Everything’s in your hands!

: Believe in yourself, Daiya! We do! We know you’ll bring forth a miracle!
: drat straight, Daiya! You can handle this!
: Give Proist a taste of what your… of what OUR hearts are all about!
: Bring it home, Daiya! That’s what a real man’s gotta do!
: We’ve all seen how bright your flame shines!
: Do it, Daiya! Burn stronger than ever before!

: … All of their flames are joining with mine…
: And with them, nothing can stop me from burning stronger and stronger!!

: Pah, and how do you figure that gigantic mish-mash’ll help you?! Don’t make me laugh!
: I believe in my friends, and they believe in me. I realized the second we joined our powers how amazing that is!
: But you wouldn’t know. All you do is flare up by yourself! And that is absolutely not going to smother our combined flames!
: That’s not true…! VICTORY’LL BE MINE!
: Here’s everything we’ve got! TAKE IT AAALL!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1qCePX-bXA

: Th-These maggots…

: King Darius, signal lost…
: Proist… Our willingness to learn from our enemies… that’s what separates you from us.
: Your downfall was a result of nothing but your own pride.
: It’s over… It’s finally over. And both the surface and the Darius World are safe!
: Badass, Daiya! Everyone here saw the flame of your soul!
: Seriously… that was pretty fantastic. (From across the map!)
…Ah?!
: Dick! You’re alive!
: Don’t kill me off like that, Mister. I’m not one to call it quits at the moment of truth. I do have the goddess of luck on my side, after all.
: Dick… thank goodness…

: Talk about weird, dad… I’ve looked forward to this for so long, and now I dunno what to say…
: I understand; words are failing me, too. Time and again I wondered what I’d say when I went back to the surface and saw you and your mother again…
: Dad…! W-waaaaaah!
: I’m so proud of you, Daiya…
: (Oh, Daiya…)
: D-drat it! Who’s peeling onions ‘round here?!
: He’s finally found his dad… Ah, that’s just the best.
: Yes… I’m so happy for him…
: Come on, folks. We should give them a moment.

Later, at the Daiku Maryu’s bridge, Garis lets everyone know he’ll be personally taking the Darius Core back to the imperial capital – as an envoy of peace between both worlds. Daiya’s Dad will be coming with, unfortunately, telling his son that he still has work to see to: namely, carrying out the Emperor’s Ark Project.
See, while the Darius World isn’t breaking down RIGHT NOW, it’s still going to do so eventually. So, Dad needs to get the ships ready, gather up the surviving Darians and send them off towards their new homeworld. Daiya’s gonna be a bit lonely up top, but he understands that his father isn’t one to abandon people in trouble. He does promise to come home as soon as it is done, though.

As for the Daichi and Tenku Maryus, Garis says they’ll be staying up top to help LOTUS; consider it atonement for all the troubles they caused the surfacers. Darian warriors always repay their debts, though Norza wants us to know that he ISN’T INTERESTED in making friends.
Daiya sighs that he’s been working with us long enough that he could stand to not be so prickly. That’s about as friendly as the guy can manage, Kain laughs. “Stop talking this instant, Kain!” Norza yelps.

As Dick bids Norza welcome to LOTUS, Sakuya and Michel wring their fists at him for getting us all worried he’d died. Everyone in this team is insane, Michel grunts. Ichitaka isn’t about to give him too much crap for it, though, as he understands one tends to act without thinking when someone important to them is at risk.
Whatever the case, Duo’s happy the guy survived – it’d suck to be the only God of Death in the team. Granted, Hilde points out that having a bunch of folks with that nickname around isn’t very auspicious…

Whatever the case, we just closed the book on the war with the Darius and took a major step towards bringing true peace to this world. Quite the emotional sight for Misato, seeing races that spent nearly the last ten years fighting come together like this. Kenji was just a kid when it started!
Sounds to Heine that this was less of a victory for humanity, and just a victory for everyone. But what do we do now? There’re no emergencies at the moment, so Misato orders us back to JUDA. Sounds great, especially since Kenji’s FAMISHED.

Cut back to Island 1, Sheryl’s been caught slipping out of the hospital AGAIN, but she needed to have a talk with Grace. She just has one question: “why?” Care to be more specific? Why did she become Ranka’s manager? Why’s she keeping her pretty much locked up in this hospital room? Why does that girl’s song work on the Vajra, and not hers?
As Sheryl starts coughing again, Grace sneers at how pathetic she is. She can style herself an artiste, a singer, but at the end of the day she’s merely an idol – an image without substance, crafted by another’s hands.
Sheryl yells no, saying she got to the top by her own efforts, but Grace doubts it: “Had I not picked you up when I did, you would have met your end as another nobody in the Macross Galaxy’s slums. But that’s over. Sheryl Nome is dead.”

Is that sad excuse for a threat supposed to intimidate her? No, she’s not going to give up on her career, Grace or no Grace. Oh, what an ignorant girl she is. Did Sheryl forget how Grace had her hospitalized for a while as soon as she found her?
So? As it turns out, they weren't actually HEALING her of anything - quite the opposite. And the disease had simply been dormant until now. See, she wasn’t speaking figuratively: Sheryl is literally a dead woman walking.

: Haah… Kouichi, Quatre, Emi, Ichitaka, where’d you all run off to…? They didn’t even call to celebrate the end of the war or anything…
: I’m feeling so left out here… Hrmm…
: … Risako.
: Huh? A-Aaah!
: It’s been ages, hasn’t it…? You doing alright?
: Ya-Yajima…?!

Now, since the plot stopped us before:

Gaiking The Great (Daiya Tsuwabuki)
50% Squad Bonus: Armor +200, Mobility +15, 1500 Barrier, Movement +1

:siren: Play this in honor of the new king. :siren:

Daiya has officially become death, the destroyer of games. Gaiking the Great is one of two units that compete for the title of “most goddamn broken thing” in the game, and the first one to arrive (quit faffing about, Yumi!). A.k.a. “the reason why Daiya’ll likely top our ace list”.
It hits like a truck made out of dynamite, any attacks against it hit with the consistency of a spitball (if they ever get through its barrier, which is unlikely outside of bosses), it has 3-7 weapon for range (which causes attack-down); its movement goes to 8 with the 50% bonus, meaning said truck now has a rocket attached to it, and it has S ranks on ALL terrains, meaning Daiya’ll likely dodge very well. Don’t forget that this is all on top of all those Flame bonuses!
Its only “flaw” is that its weapons are rather EN hungry, but 300+ EN means any resupply bot will give it 30 back every turn. EN-Save further reduces the game’s attempt to stop Daiya from killing everything forever. As with Rom, it will not work.

Two things to keep in mind: EN spent with the Gaiking will not be restored when you combine, and Norza and Lee are NOT subpilots. Once you combine, they are effectively removed for the rest of the battle. Way I see it, since they’re both so good by themselves, I can set them aside as a duo of their own and have them play around for part of the mission before going to town.
Respect Daiya, lest he realize he could now conquer the world.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 28, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Brunom is in no way understating just how BUSTED Gaiking the Great is. Gaiking the Great makes the SRX blush furiously and the latter DOES come with 3 pilots for its investment.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Blaze Dragon posted:

We need a W remake in general though. Imagine W, but with full voice acting and a semi-competent Asian-English translation.

I want to hear Gai shouting. Yes, all of the Gais. Including the one that isn't prone to shouting.

Tne next OG should cover W arc. Till now they have been following(albeit loosely) the Alpha narrative, and now the end (Alpha 3 is near). In A3 Ideon had a great part, and Valcazard in she only OG that could replace it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So many Good Dad's coming and going and telling their kids that they do a good job and poor Shinji's just all :smith:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Alacron posted:

So many Good Dad's coming and going and telling their kids that they do a good job and poor Shinji's just all :smith:

Clearly what Shinji and the kids need to do is fuse their bots into EVA the Great. Only instead of fire, it blasts A.T. Fields everywhere and likely tangs any living creature in a hundred mile radius.

Gendou would be so proud.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

: Hmph, are simply clueless. Victory does not go to the strongest… but to those who refuse to surrender until the very end!

I think you've accidentally a word at the end of the first half of this gigantic mission.

And what a mission it is. :allears: Face Open: The Great basically consists of using a tremendously powerful combiner super robot as a huge fireball... And this is entirely a distraction to let Daiya quickly decombine and blast the hell out of Proist's face. What is even better is that it is a proper unit rather than just a combination attack for the three *Kings, because in the show Gaiking the Great was around for a bunch of episodes before this so it got to show off what it could do, unlike other units that shall not be named.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

I think you've accidentally a word at the end of the first half of this gigantic mission.

Yeah, I'd spotted and fixed it about the same time you mentioned it! :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So if Gaiking the Great had to go against Genesic Gaogaigar, Great Zeorymer and similars, who'd win and how would the world survive the onslaught?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Honestly, Gaiking the Great would lose to Genesic GGG, and both would just be blown away by the utter unfairness that is Great Zeorymer, so this isn't a terribly difficult mental exercise.

The world is utterly hosed in this scenario, though. :v:

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Great Zeorymer WOULD oneshot both of them from full health with Infernal Hades, but that's the thing: from full health.

Let Guy fully activate Prevail, and he could probably absorb enough damage to take a single shot.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah, Gaiking the Great. Such a wonderfully busted unit to field. :allears:

Also, it seems that Bucky BarnesYajima's alive. Which means Kouichi's about to go on yet another forced deployment for the next stage. :negative:

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...

GimmickMan posted:

Gaiking LoDM is great and I urge everyone who likes super robots to give it a try. The first 4-5 eps are very generic but after that it just keeps getting better with time.

Honestly, I was hooked from the beginning. For a long time since I was old enough to know what anime was, I kept trying to watch mecha anime, but I was always trying to watch, like, Gundam and stuff, so it was always like "This is not nearly as fun as the stuff I watched as a kid, why is that I don't understand". And then I found Gaiking and when the theme song started blaring in the fight at the end of the first episode, it was just like "Oh. So there are OTHER KINDS of robots. :aaaaa:" And then later on the first Face Open happened and I've been obsessed with supers ever since.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017

AradoBalanga posted:

Also, it seems that Bucky BarnesYajima's alive. Which means Kouichi's about to go on yet another forced deployment for the next stage. :negative:

It's that time of the week again. Get ready for more exciting lessons on what it means to be a true CHAMPION OF JUSTICE.

And I feel that I'm the only one who has mixed feelings on the lord and savior, Gaiking the Great. It is a magnificent machine and its theme-song (while not quite on the same level as the original) goes well with selling its glory.
That said though, I have a few problems with it. Most of which stem from the anime. I think I can talk about it now that we've finished the Gaiking plot. Namely....why?

Why is this one particular kitbash, using components that have been in use for quite a while already, so much more powerful? Yes, I can see it act as an upgrade. Just the top alone features an improved rocket-punch (They come back on their own!) and big rocket-wings for better flight. But it goes much, much further than that. In the anime I remember it showing up earlier, against one of the two Dvoraks. Not sure which one. Now the dragon had just finished stomping everyone into the ground. The b-team, the three 'kings, the battleships. Everyone. But then they form Gaiking the Great and Daiya opens it up by casually stopping the Dvorak's charge with one hand. What follows is the Great taking apart the Dvorak as easily as the Dvorak had just beaten everything else. I mean sure, they say that Daiya is the only one who can handle it, but the implication is not that Daiya makes the Gaiking the Great so powerful, he's just the one who can keep up with its gas-guzzling majesty without burning out in seconds.

Meanwhile, Raiking and Vulking are stuck pretending to be lawn ornaments. I don't remember anyone ever mentioning the idea of doing some more kitbashing so they've got three functional robots again. There is a perfectly good Gaiking top and bottom lying around. It's not as if Daiya's using them. Just by having Gaiking the Great possible it seems to me that all three are cross-compatible with one another. (huh, this also makes me wonder if Raiking and Vulking can do the face-open. Raiking's pilot should theoretically be capable of handling it, not sure on Vulking's.)

So in short, I think Gaiking the Great is too much of a step up and I don't like how it takes away the role of its two siblings. Of course, that didn't stop me from using it so much it should have been declared illegal. Awesome music, good-looking moves and stats that break the difficulty into a million tiny pieces. How could I say no to that?

Oh, and father of Daiya. I understand that you're busy saving the world and stuff but while you're here, how about hopping by the old home and say hello to your wife? It seems like the polite thing to do.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Maybe it pools all their Hydrute stocks together for a lot more flame-powered strength? That'd explain why you need someone whose flame's as strong as Daiya's, to be capable of burning all that stuff properly instead of being overwhelmed and fizzling out?

I suppose that'd also explain why Norza and Lee don't kitbash as well: their "fuel tanks" were passed on to the Gaiking?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...it kind of sucks that the genetic legacy safeguarded by the Darius Empire just went up in a burst of temper tantrum like that. Unless it was just a prop.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Glazius posted:

...it kind of sucks that the genetic legacy safeguarded by the Darius Empire just went up in a burst of temper tantrum like that. Unless it was just a prop.

No Gods No Kings. That's how the Alpha Numbers roll.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Also what was with Proist suddenly turning into a gremlin at the end? Was that explained in the show because it was confusing as heck here and back in K.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017

Brunom1 posted:

Maybe it pools all their Hydrute stocks together for a lot more flame-powered strength? That'd explain why you need someone whose flame's as strong as Daiya's, to be capable of burning all that stuff properly instead of being overwhelmed and fizzling out?

I suppose that'd also explain why Norza and Lee don't kitbash as well: their "fuel tanks" were passed on to the Gaiking?

I'll go with that. They do say the 'strongest parts' of each. Makes as much sense as anything.

As for Proist turning into a gremlin, here's what I think happened. (I tried to google up a video, but failed to find it) The last mission jammed several episodes together. Gremlin-Proist shows up after Daiya kamikazes with Face Open the Great. They're in the middle of victory celebrations when Proist shows up again. Not quite dead, but little more than a pile of hate-fueled fire. I think this is also when the revelation of the Emperors being vessels for the combined minds of all their predecessors was revealed. One of the guys (probably the same one as in the dialogue here) offers the Darius-mind and asks Proist to become one with her predecessors. Anyway, Fire-Proist rejects the final call to become Darius, breaks the macguffin and gets booted out a window.

I'd say the closest comparison to what happened to Proist would be Himika's demon made out of condensed hate and rage.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
What I want to know is, why does the Dvorak have the head of the original Gaiking's Open Face form when it first shows up? Is that just an incidental detail or a plot point that was cut for L or something else entirely?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

We’re back and nothing’s really changed, other than Ichitaka falling a wee bit behind.

The Dancouga was next in line to get 50%’d, so there it goes. Aoi’s Squad Bonus is now Crit rate +20, Armor +150, Accuracy +15.
Rest of the money goes for random bits in our squaddie Machinas, Alto and Iczer-3.

Kouichi and Iczer-3 are launching as event units, so here’s how we’re going:
Ozma/Luca
Asuka/Domyoji
Daiya/Quatre
Lee/Norza
Kenji/Kyo
Jeeg/Micchi
Voltes/Yanma
Alto/Michel
Combattler/Rei
Shinn/Klan
Goh/Anna
Tetsuya/Canaria
Shinji/Rey
Kouji/Yagyuu
Dancouga/Hilde
Ichitaka/Miu
Jack/Duo

Forward!

Back at JUDA, Yui just got our message that we’re coming back. Looking at AI Ishigami, she figures he must be happy up in Heaven: the Mimetic Beasts and Jama Kingdom are beaten, the war with the Darius is over. And, actually, it’s pretty weird that she feels the need to report to the guy’s program still.
Her pondering is interrupted when AI Ishigamia screams “AN IDOL CONTEST”! Huh? He’s putting together a bit of an idol contest both to help our battle-weary folks relax and as a victory party. What the frick? Is he running those inane security routines again? We already cleared all those!
No, no, AI Ishigami says it’s wholly unrelated to the security system. He’s being a bit too life-like for Yui, but before she can question about it, AI Ishigami does his “by the time you see this, I’ll likely be dead” and freezes on the spot. Of course.

FYI, this is an idol contest as in literal idol, not pop singer idol – it’s a beauty pageant.

Wee bit later, Yui’s relayed the plan to our leaders. Une concedes that, according to Alice, Franklin and Canaria’s reports, our people have been getting a bit stressed out from the nonstop action. Misato’s a bit uneasy, but AI Ishigami tells her not to be: he’s already got it all planned out, including arranging for some guest entertainers.
Apparently, Yui sees, he’s sent out offers to both Ranka and Eida Rossa, so it seems the choice has been made for us. Une figures it’ll do us good to relax some, so it’s fine.

Absolutely no one expected this Idol Contest stuff, but Iczer-3 doesn’t know what that’s all about. Is it to decide who’s the strongest? Not quite, Ru and Nagisa (Kasumi) explain: it’s more of a popularity contest. Athrun’s not exactly sure we can afford to spend our time with this, but Shinn says he’s too much of a workaholic. There’s no problem with doing stuff like this once in a blue moon.
Athrun didn’t expect to be hearing THAT from Shinn. “I just figured it wasn’t all bad after I saw how happy everyone was at the Diokia gig,” he shrugs, and Luna’s surprised he kept an eye on us despite how busy he was with Stella back then.
Daiya still remembers the event with a lot of joy, and figures this one’ll be even better since we got the contest, plus Eida and Ranka singing as well. But who’ll be taking part in said contest? Obviously, says Puria, they’ll be picking from our girls and she’s already putting together a “Miss LOTUS” sash.

She’s awfully excited for all this, Luna ponders, and that’s because Puria figures she’s guaranteed to win. LOTUS may be a big family in itself, but pretty much all men in the Daiku Maryu crew are in the Puria Fan Club.
As Shinn stares in silence, Daiya thinks Lulu should be our idol – her smile’s gotten the crew through a bunch of tough times. As the girl flushes, Ichitaka sees from the Maryu crew’s enthusiasm that AI Ishigami’s was right on the ball with this project. Shizuna’s worried over him starting to come around to the Prez’ antics…

And, indeed, this is serious business to others in the Gaiking crew as well. Kyoko, the Daiku Maryu’s cook, has had enough of staying holed up in the kitchen – now it’s her time to take the spotlight, and it’s clear as day that she’s the cutest around in all of LOTUS! As for Rebecca, she’s kind of thorn in half. On one hand, it’d allow her to properly introduce herself (a chance she never got), but, on the other, she figures serving Vestanu is all that really matters for her.
Kyoko notices her, and is appalled that a MERE OPERATOR would apparently try for the contest. The gall! Rebecca also spots the “she-devil” and that pushes her to enter the contest: better that than risk her taking the crown!

As Asuka comes in and sees them glaring at the sign-up box, she sighs that putting women on display like that’s so old-fashioned. Anyone who enters this must be seriously lacking in pride. Kyoko, quickly switching from her hostile inner voice to a much more friendly tone, says she’s just trying to make everyone happy! That’s a load of crock, of course, and she’s just trying to keep Asuka from entering as well. It works, though, and the girl tells her to do whatever she wants.
Nearby at the lobby, Klan, despite tolerating Miss Macross, isn’t too keen on an event where only the guys get to have fun. Misato tells them not to worry, as the boys’ll be doing their part for the event as well.

Now, back at Ishigami’s office, Misato has a special assignment for Kouichi and Emi. Circumstances have forced her hand, and now she’s left with no choice but to rely on them. It’ll be a heavy burden for them to carry… but she really needs Kouichi and Emi to MC the contest and organize the side shows!
Um, why them? Ishigami. He said, and she quotes: this is supposed to be a skit, starring Kouichi, where he helps his worn-out friends get back in the game. The kid sighs over getting picked out as the resident party planner, but Misato thinks he can handle it since he’s not doing anything right now. Toodles!

She runs off before Kouichi can say anything, leaving AI Ishigami to cheer him and Emi on: they must scrounge up the courage to face hardships or there’ll be no victory against the Cthulhu or the Katou Organization. Big words from the guy who put them in this position in the first place!
“By the time you see this, I’ll likely be dead. By the time you seeseeseesesesesesesesesssssssss”… welp, Ishigami froze again. Kouichi turns to Emi, and it seems they’ll have to do the job…

Cut to the Cthulhu fortress, it’s that time of the week again: Iczer-2 is JUST about healed up, so now it’s Golem’s turn to head out there, destroy Iczer-3 and bring Nagisa Kasumi.
As she confirms and sets out, Neos sees that Atross didn’t care to show up, vying for revenge against Iczer-3. Not that it actually matters, as Neos’ expectations there were rock-bottom from the start. From Golem, however, she’s expecting to hear good tidings. Hohohohoho…

Ranka’s just arrived at JUDA, and is very impressed at the huge rooms Alto and the others have. No time to look around, though, as Grace wants to check out the stage right away. As she leaves and Brera steps outside to keep watch, Ranka sighs at how excessive he is. The door opens – did Brera hear her?!
No, it’s actually Eida, who felt the need to come over and apologize for foisting that movie business on her way back when. Of course, Ranka did a very good job with it. And it wasn’t just her acting that impressed Eida, but her singing as well – she was blown away even when she heard her at the island.
Ranka appreciates the praise, but is also a bit bashful over Eida hearing her back then. She shouldn’t be, as her heartfelt tunes really left a mark in Eida’s spirit. Again, Ranka’s thankful, but that’ll have to wait: she needs to get over to the stage.

Wishing them both good luck, Ranka leaves Eida to mull. Her current situation has made things a whole lot more unmanageable – she’s a bit jealous of the girl, actually. Ranka’s pet, Ai-kun, hops on over to seemingly comfort her. Aaw.

And Ranka’s off singing. The LOTUS crowd’s pretty fired up, which is impressive to Hiyoshi: just the few of us are being equivalent to a few hundred folks in enthusiasm! What matters to Ranka, of course, is whether Alto’s listening, and he actually is. And enjoying the music, even!
Seeing his smile fills her with energy and she redoubles her efforts. Nearby, Grace has her wicked face on: seems like the given situation is a very important factor in boosting her Emotional Index. Even as the “training” stage’s coming to an end, she’s still collecting mighty fine results.

Kouichi’s really having fun, but the same cannot be said for the rest of the guys: they’ve been assigned to work backstage and are scrambling to get everything ready for the idol contest up next. Why’s Alto all mad for? Kouichi even saw fit to coincide his break with Ranka’s show…
That’s hardly the point, though, and Alto tells everyone to get to it – time is short. The stage is already set, thanks to a worn-out Kenji, but Boss tells him to suck it up. At the very least all the upcoming eye-candy’ll make it all worthwhile… Kouji’s a bit disappointed there’ll be no swimsuit completion, mind, but the live concert and all makes up for it!

Ichitaka only wishes we could also have had Sheryl here for this, and asks if Alto’s heard anything of her. Not really (it’s not like they’re a thing!), but Kouichi heard that she turned down our invitation.
Details are sketchy but it seems she’s done singing. Alto can’t help but wonder what happened.

: O-Okay! Following Ranka and Eida’s pulse-pounding show, it’s time for us to kick off the LOTUS Idol Contes-gck! My tongue…!
: Stay calm, Kouichi!
: Hah, he’s having a bit of a hard time up there.
: Takes experience to handle it, I guess... What about you, Vestanu? Something wrong?
: I see neither hide nor hair of Rebecca… I was hoping we could all take this rare opportunity to relax but…
: We haven’t seen her either… Actually, Lulu’s gone too. You don’t think…

Some time later…

: Next up is contestant #8: Rebecca Catherine! … Who?
: (You’re being rude, Kouichi!)
: (When I agreed to this, I did not think I’d be subject to such public disgrace…)
: … She’s from the Daichi Maryu, I’m pretty sure…
: Do you know her, Athrun?
: She’s a Darian woman who works at the ship’s bridge. She seldom has a chance to step outside, so not many of us have had a chance to speak with her directly.
: Oh, wow, Athrun. How’d you manage to keep track of everyone like that?
: It’s nothing major, really. I just figure that’s the kind of stuff I should remember.
: Hm…
: Well, any CO has to pay attention to the folks around him. That’s just Leadership 101, you know.
: 101, huh… I guess Misato and the others are just as amazing, then.
: Um, moving now… It’s contestant #11: Miu Kujo!
: (Miu… I can’t believe you let Domyoji and the others talk you into this…)

: Huh? She’s not coming out?
: Maybe the clothes were a bit too much for her…?
: What did you do, Domyoji?
: Hey, now, don’t look at me like that. As the leader of the Hayase Corps, I just had a little something readied – all to boost team morale, you see. But it was all up to her whether she’d go with it or not.
: Domyoji… you bought those clothes for Miu? O-Oh! Here she comes!

: I-I’m Miu Kujo… And while Eida and Ranka are a tough act to follow, I figured I’d sing something of my own…
: (A nurse costume… God, just kill me now. But if this’ll help me catch Kouichi’s eye, then…)

*Whistle**

: A n-n-nurse—?!
: Don’t be distracted, Kouichi! You pervert!

*Slap!*

: Kouichi has a nosebleed… That’s a sign that a new finishing move is incoming!
: It doesn’t work like that! (JP wiki says this is a joke on Da Cider and Queen Sideron)
: Yow, I think that’s a bit too intense for Kouichi…
: Furuya?! What’re you doing here?!
: They let all the Hayase Corps tag along to help with the show, ya know. Took the time to apologize to Shinji for all the crap I gave him, too.
: Really? That’s great to hear... Wait, “all” the Hayase Corps? Does that mean Risako’s here too?
: Yeah, we came in together from her place. Something’s been off with her today, though.
: Should I examine her? I might be able to help.
: Sure, I’ll take you to her.

: Eerr, next is contestant #14: Lulu Arges… Hey, that’s Captain Lulu, ain’t it?!
: Lulu?!
: Take a look at this, everyone.
: It’s… origami?
: It kinda looks like… the Daiku Maryu?
: The Minerva and the Macross too!
: These were sent over by a group of kids. I don’t really care about the contest, but I wanted everyone to see this. There are people everywhere rooting for us, and that’s something that might slip our minds as we fight all these enemies.
: Lulu…
: Sorry, I know this isn’t the best time for this kind of talk. But we still can’t let ourselves forget that we’re never alone, even when things are at their hardest…

*:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:*

: (Psh, you and your pretty speeches… This was supposed to be my show, and I just got one-upped before even getting out there.)
: (But... that’s what makes you the captain of the Daiku Maryu. I guess I can concede this one.)

The D Team’s touring the mall, but they can hear the party going on nearby. Actually, why isn’t Aoi taking part in the contest? As she reminds them, she used to be a model before all this (not that Kurara ever read those magazines, mind), and figured having a pro join in would go against the spirit of the thing.
That’s fair enough, but Johnny reminds the other three that they're supposed to be stocking up on stuff. What about him, then? He’s already wrapped up his part, so he’s free to relax over lunch. Well, that’s our resident high-octane businessman for Kurara - efficiency is his middle name.
Sakuya, Aoi and Kurara take off to finish their assignments and head back to the party.

Not long after Johnny sits down, Eida walks on over and asks to speak with him for a bit. That’s fine, but what surprises Johnny is that she apparently knows him by name. How come? Well, last year there was this big time ad campaign she had her eye on, but the whole gig got swiped from under her nose by another agency. Oh. Johnny didn’t expect her agency to have been his competition back then.
Eida confesses that it was annoying to be blindsided by another idol taking her spot, but couldn’t exactly be mad over the girl simply having a better manager. Still, she wanted to know who was responsible and searched the internet for a name: she got both that and a picture to match it, so that’s how she recognized him right away.

Whatever the case, since he’s here, does that mean he’s with LOTUS? O-Oh, no, he’s just the caterer. Alright, Eida won’t question that… though she does wonder, does he always wear those glasses? Pretty much, but he often takes them off for big, important moments.
He’s got them on now, so that means this isn’t one of those times, Eida figures. Maybe they can change that, though.

: Whew… it’s finally over. Who knew MCing could be so hard…
: Today’s experience may help temper your mind. Do not waste it.
: You take this way too seriously, pops. I just wanna grab something to eat and head straight to bed…

*Door opens.*

: There you are! I brought cupcakes, Kouichi!
: Oh, you got the best timing in the world! Thanks a bunch, Risako!
: And I need to hand these out to the others, too. You’ll lend a hand, right?
: Huuh?! Why me…?
: BECAUSE, while I don’t know what you’re doing in this LOTUS, you still had me worried sick.
: B-But…
: Here you go, mister. I don’t know much you’ll like it, but give it a try!
: (Such a lovely lass…)
: Fine… Guess I’ll take some to Quatre or whatever.

*Door opens again.*

: Ah…
: Ya… jima…?
: We need to talk, Kouichi – elsewhere. Risako, you and Jack Smith wait here for a bit, please.
: Hm…

: … What’s… What’s going on?
: I heard what happened to you… How, after my death, you joined JUDA and LOTUS…
: And I’ll be the first to admit that you’re doing a lot better. But is this the Champion of Justice you wanted to become?
: What the hell… Where have you been…?! If you were alive, why didn’t you at least call to let us know?!
: This isn't about me!
: I’ve also heard of what LOTUS has been up to, stopping the war between the Earth and PLANTs, defeating the Jama Kingdom and Darius Army.
: But, tell me: what is all this partying for? There are still tons of miserable people across the world, the battle is still ongoing! And you say you’re Champions of Justice… Do you honestly think them having all this fun is just?!
: I won’t deny that I was an idiot before, and that you died because of that…
: But so much has happened since then! For one, I’ve also come to realize that even breaks like this are important…!
: Do you think this is a game, Kouichi? How can I trust someone as weak-kneed as that to take care of Risako?!
: Much as you might say you’re a CHAMPION OF JUSTICE, it won’t mean jack if you can’t actually save the entire world!
: …!
: You don’t have to push yourself to do this anymore. This wasn’t supposed to be your fight to begin with. I don’t need you to avenge me, either – just quit the Linebarrel and go home with Risako…!
: Enough! What’d you think you know, huh?! How many towns have been burned to the ground, or how many people have been hurt or killed?!
: This isn’t about revenge, and it’s been ages since I’ve stopped fighting because of that!
: Think this through, Kouichi. It was the power you got that killed me, wasn’t it? Something like that isn’t capable of saving the world!

*Stumbles!*

: Wh… Why are you fighting? And what did he say about killing…?
: Emi, Risako?! What’re you doing here?!
: We were looking for you two… Then we heard your voices, so…

*Wrrrrrrr! BOOM!*

: The enemy…? You see that, Kouichi? LOTUS hasn’t the time to be having fun!
: And this isn’t the time for a lecture, either! Take Risako and get outta here, Yajima!
: I-I… gave him the Linebarrel’s power…
: Don’t just stand there, Emi! We got stuff to do!
: Emi Kizaki… You’ll be coming with me, I’m afraid.

*Grab!*

: Aah?!
: What’re you doing, Yajima?!
: Yeah! Let her go!
: Just forget about all this, Kouichi. Leave, you and Risako…!
: What are you up to, Yajima?! Wait… you’re not…!
: Apparition!

Mission 26 – Individual Wishes

*Yajima flies across town.*

: He’s not with LOTUS, I suppose. Ignore him, Dilos, at least while he does not stand in our way.
: Show yourself, Iczer-3! Your end has come!

: Eida, you’d best stay at JUDA’s shelters! You’ll be safe there!
: Johnny…
: I’ve to go!

: What was the hold up for, Johnny? Figured you’d straight-up turn that lunch into dinner while you were at it?
: When it’s time to scramble, you’ve to be ready to go in twenty seconds tops. Wasn’t that what “Men’s Hotblooded Soldiers Monthly” said?
: My apologies. I promise I’ll make up for the annoyance!
: Alright, I’m here! Who called me?!
: There you are, Iczer-3. I am called Golem, the strongest warrior in the universe…
: Iczer-3, she’s another of Neos Gold’s four generals! Be careful!
: (So that’s where Nagisa Kasumi’s at. And with that in mind…)

: Don’t you run from me, granny! What gives?!
: Be patient, Iczer-3! You can’t let yourself play her game – she’ll turn up eventually!
: I know, Nagisa-1!
: Yajima! Give Emi back!
: Kouichi… why won’t you listen…?
: Are you for real…?! It’s Yajima piloting that thing, and he’s now a Factor…?!
: We’ve footage of what happened. He summoned that Machina – the Apparition – and took Emi Kizaki.
: And that’s the Stray Machina we tried capturing way back…
: After it killed Yajima in its rampage, it was recovered by the Katou Organization, which means…
: That he’s with them…?!
: That’s right. It was Katou Hisataka who made me into the Apparition’s Factor, and, in exchange, asked me to capture Emi Kizaki – something I now see as being the right thing to do.
: I dunno what kind of lies he’s been feeding you, Yajima, but nothing that guy does is the “right thing”!
: What happened?! We were all so happy to find out you were alive, and this is how our reunion plays out?!
: Troops, the Cthulhu are making a beeline for Iczer-3! And since Emi’s still trapped aboard the Machina, you’re forbidden from shooting it down!
: Everyone forward! Attack!

Mission Objective: All enemies destroyed.
Mission Failure: Any battleship, Iczer-3, Linebarrel or Apparition destroyed.

I could send people up top to chat with Yajima, but that’d be a waste of time and resources. He won’t even come after us! So, we’ll just divert our forces south to clear out the Cthulhu – same as usual.

: You three ready? The civs might’ve been evacuated, but that doesn’t mean we’re in the clear! We’ve to clear out the enemy ASAP and make things safe for them all!
: Well, someone’s gung-ho today.
: What’s up, Johnny? Something good happen while we weren’t looking?
: I’m afraid I can’t tell you. I want those beautiful memories to stay safely within my heart.
: Something’s off with him. Think he ate something crummy?
: Who knows? But I think we all agree that the quicker we end this, the better.
: Let’s get to it, and make it a good one! You never know who might be watching!

When turn two rolls over.

: C-Captain, we’ve Cthulhu reinforcements! And it’s the Iczer-3’s sister model!
: I see her, Arthur. It’s been since the battle with the 7th Angel…
: Hm? But something feels different…
: It seems she’s not as certain as before in regards to fighting. Did the Nagisas’ words get through to her…?
: We’re ending this today, Iczer-3!
: I don’t wanna! Nagisa said we could be friends, so you stop this!
: To Hell with you! I can never again show my face to Lady Neos unless I end you! Come and fight, Iczer-3!
: Aah, you stupid girl! If you’re gonna be like that, then fine!
: Oh, no…! I need to stop this – they shouldn’t be fighting!
: I’ll help! Let’s go!
: OK!

:siren: Secret Alert! :siren:
Make use you kill Atross with Iczer-3.
She’s exactly the same as before and won’t even recover HP, so it shouldn’t be hard. It’ll take her a while to get here, though, so we’ll just hang back and keep building morale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXGJPdoXJh0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUb9LEpW4vU
Oh, and now we can see the “weaker” of Daiya’s weapons. Every single Gaiking the Great trick has a DK!

: If I can’t talk you down, then I’ll slap you around ‘til you get the message!
: Rant while you can, Iczer-3! That cheeky mouth of yours’ll be permanently shut soon!

Kill enough stuff, or when turn 3 rolls over…

: The Katou Organization!
: Urgh… And there’s Wufei with them, just like Quatre said.
: What are you doing, Factor of the Apparition? Wasn’t your mission to capture Emi Kizaki?
: Sorry, but the situation wouldn’t let me just pack up and leave.
: Did you answer your question?
: … I did.
: Save the talk for later. We’ll cover you, so hurry back to the commander (If your secret points are low: “Enough faffing about. This is our fun time, so get going already.”)
: Roger that. Pulling back.

*Yajima starts retreating across the map.*

: Yajima, stop!
: Give Emi back to us!
: Oh, no, you ain’t dealing with him. We’ve been looking forward to this for all this time we’ve been working in the shadows, see.
: We’re not about to be beaten by people who fight for reasons like that!
: Ooh, what an intense boy we’ve got here… But we’re 100% serious today! This is all to make our ideals a reality…!
: It’s clear that we’re stuck with them…! Then hold nothing back and let’s get to it!
: Bring it, Katous! You’re gonna get an eyeful of how much we’ve grown since our last fight!

Off we go again. Word of the wise: start moving your guys up top now (in hindsight, maybe even have a couple head that way even before this happens), because soon you’ll have ample reason to dash up there.
While that’s going on, though, we’ll deal with Atross now that she’s close.

: There should be a warm spirit somewhere within her like Nagisa said!
: And, in that case, the key to all this’ll be Iczer-3! If we can just get them to talk, Atross might also realize that!

: Everything you do reeks of doubt. Do you seriously think you can win against us like that?
: I’ve no doubts! None! I will destroy Iczer-3 today!
: And who are you to say anything? How soft you’ve become, so obediently following the orders they give you. Where did all your pride go?
: Whaaat?! You better not be calling me a lackey, because I’ll make you take that garbage right back!

: Only way I can ever come back to Lady Neos is by destroying you all…!
: Helping her cause is my entire purpose in life!
: Is that really true?
: You could live your life anywhere, no? It doesn’t have to be with the Cthulhu.
: Th-That’s not possible! I was created by Lady Neos, so of course I must live for her!

: …! What’re you doing, Iczer-3?! Why are you not attacking anymore?!
: Because I want us to stop. This fight isn’t fun!
: And more important than that, you know about the Iczelio, don’t you? Give it back to me!
: I told you before: I don’t know! Now fight me, drat you!

: No! I don’t wanna do this anymore!
: Idiocy! Take battle away from us, and what would we have left?!
: Plenty! There are tons of other good stuff out there!
: She’s right! Even today, I thank my ancestors for giving me a chance to have a life beyond endless battle!
: I ain’t gonna say that a brawl here and now can’t be kinda fun, but there’re a bunch of others ways to have a good time!
: U-Urk…
: Atross, please, stop!
: Listen to us, Atross. You two shouldn’t be fighting. You’re a mirror of Iczer-3… That makes you pretty much twin sisters, no?
: No, I… I’m Lady Neos’ daughter!
: I can feel it, so I’m sure you’ve noticed it as well. The only one happy that you two are fighting is Neos Gold herself!
: She’s the spawn of Big Gold, so she’s been telling you lies to get you to kill Iczer-3!
: Why don’t we all fight together, instead, Atross? Please!

: I can grant you that wish.
: The Cthulhu general!
: How did she get there?! None of our sensors pinged anything…!
: Nagisa Kasumi, I now take you to Lady Neos’ side!

: Get back!

: AAAAH—!

*Bloop!*

: Nagisa!
: I’m detecting a distortion in space-time! That was… a warp beam?!
: Hrm, that meddling pest got in the way. Still, Nagisa Kanou is Iczer-1’s partner… she should satisfy Lady Neos just as well.

: Nagisa-1…!
: She protected me…
: Why…? That girl, Nagisa, and Iczer-3 the other day… why would they both willingly throw themselves into the fire…?
: I don’t understand! None of this makes sense!!

: The Cthulhu warrior’s withdrawn from this airspace! Her signal’s gone…!
: Tsk… Slipped right through our fingers…!
: Focus on the remaining enemy forces, troops. Clean them up ASAP!
: Roger that!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 27, 2017

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Two turns after the Katou guys have arrived, Yajima will reach this spot and then…

: This is Apparition, I’ve reached the evac point. Thanks for the backup.
: Yajima, wait! Hand Emi over!

*Kouichi charges waaay into the Katou mob!*

: Stop right there!
: Out of MY WAY!!

: Hmph… you self-proclaimed Champion of Justice… I applaud how strong you’ve gotten.
: That said… victory is ours…!

: …! The Machina with Emi’s gone!
: Meyrin!
: I’ve got nothing! Our sensors are out!
: He blew himself up so the blast would jam us… Son of a bitch…
: God drat it!
: Boss…! You bastards killed him!!
: Dmitri sacrificed himself for his beliefs, Sawatari!
: Shut your mouth, traitor! Screw the mission – this is now personal! Raaaaaaargh!

*Casts Valor, Iron Wall and Focus.*

: I can feel his anger from back here…!
: … It’s like he’s turned into a demon bent on revenge.
: But we’ve no time for this. Let’s wrap it all up quick!

And that’s the problem. As good as Kouichi might be, being right in the middle of the Katous might be dangerous for him – especially if you haven’t upgraded him decently. The good thing is that Sawatari is likely too far away to get to him this turn, so you’re not at an immediate threat of his valored attacks.
With the 50% upgrades I’ve given him, Kouichi is more than good enough to handle this. His Prevail’s already pretty high, too, so once it kicks in, pretty much on the bosses will get decent damage in. Just do your best to have your folks up top by the next turn, because by then all the enemies will likely have converged.
Other than that, it’s the same fight we’ve had before, only the enemy’s actually weaker overall after losing both Dmitri and Jack. Sawatari won’t recast his spirits, so just have someone protected get rid of his Valor.

: Duo may have joined you as well, but that does not mean the world will change by your group’s hand alone.
: And if you cannot focus enough to rescue a single kidnapped woman, then you stand no chance of winning the true battle that’s to come!

Wufei: “Power isn’t just… However, justice without power is impotent!”

: I just can’t bring myself to get into this... Playing backup for a kidnapping’s kind of a crummy mission, so maybe it’s because of that…?

If your secret points are low:

: At long last, I get to toy with you again. Oh, how I was looking forward to this day.

Like I said, once Prevail gets going, the mooks all consistently hit for just 10 damage.

: While we were comrades in the past, you ought to not expect any mercy! Such is how I forge my mind and soul… Forgive me.

: Well, haven’t you gotten a lot stronger while we weren’t looking.
: Still, it wouldn’t be any fun killing you otherwise. I’ll let you off the hook for today!

: What did you people do to Yajima?! Tell me!
: You’ve the wrong idea, I think. He’s still the same guy you knew – we didn’t do anything.
: Bull! I don’t buy that for a second!
: The Yajima I know would never do something as rotten as kidnap someone! The Yajima I know… is just the coolest guy!
: (Even with all that’s happened, you still want to believe in your friend… I can’t help but envy your purity.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iglrsZdSBr8
More Daiya destruction!

: … I hope we’ll see each other again, LOTUS. And Kouichi Hayase…

Low points:

: Unfortunately, it seems our long-awaited playdate’s at an end. I suppose I’ll just hang back and wait for Yajima’s report with bated breath…

: Sorry, boss… I wanted to get payback for you, but it ain’t happening…!

: Dude, I gotta fight you again…? How many times is that now?
: Be it one, ten or a thousand times, it matters not! I will always be true to what I believe!

Duo: “For just how long are ya gonna stay on that side, Wufei?!”

: … Nothing came of this. I pray that our battles aren’t all for naught!

: If that’s what you think, then ditch them already…
: That won’t happen, though… He’ll follow his heart ‘til the very end once he’s made a decision. That’s the kind of man he is.

: All enemies confirmed destroyed, no signs of straggling troops.
: What about Emi or Nagisa? We got anything on them?
: No…
: What am I gonna do…? My sis left her in my care… and I screwed it up…

Here’re the convos we missed:

: I was so happy to hear that you were alive, Yajima, but now you’re with the Katou Organization?!
: Come with us! It’s not too late, man!
: I say the same to you, Ichitaka. Get out of that robot, and you and Kouichi can go back to your regular lives.
: drat it…! You’re sounding just like Yuu! Then I’m just gonna have to bring you in by force!

--

: Thanks for taking care of Kouichi while I was out, Quatre…
: But you’ve done enough; I’ll take care of him now. You should get back to your actual mission.
: What do you mean by that…?!

--

: Kouichi, I told you to take Risako and leave! Why won’t you listen to me?!
: Because you took Emi! Whatever your reasons, that’s going too drat far! What happened to the Yajima I knew?!
: That attitude is why I say you’re weak-kneed! If you fancy yourself a Champion of Justice, then you can’t afford to hesitate!
: Shut up! How am I supposed to just look the other way when my friend’s getting in bed with evil?!

--

: I’d rather not hurt my old friends if I can help it… Can’t you just back off without a fuss?
: Well, isn’t that kind of you. How about you first hand over Emi, and then I’ll back off?
: I can’t do that. I’ve a duty to fulfill the mission given to me.
: Then I guess we’re done chit-chatting! Put up your dukes and let’s get to it!

--

: I’ve had it up to here with all you grannies doing your thing! We’re taking Emi right back!
: Don’t make promises you can’t keep, girl! I’m afraid you’re in for a major reality check!

--

: I heard that they’re putting the finishing touches in our plan… So this mission will succeed, even if it takes my life to make it so.

--

: Let’s get this party started! Anyone who wants to die can step right over!
: Sawatari, our orders are to play back up for the Apparition. I can appreciate your eagerness, but keep your head in the game.
: Hah, there ain’t gonna be anyone to hound the guy if we wreck them all! That’d be A-OK with you, no?
: Oh, I suppose you’ve a point. We’ve been hunkering down for so long… I could stand to cut loose a bit myself!

]This, Iczer-3 and Dmitri’s lines, of course, are only if you fight them before Yajima takes off.

--

: What elegant moves, those – like a beautiful flower. I think you’ll make for some good fun.
: Hah… I may fly like a butterfly, but I sting like a bee. Don’t take me seriously, and you won’t live to regret it!

--

: We finally see each other again. Well, you’ve a dose of agony that’s long overdue. Do try to scream as best you can, yes?
: It’s always the same with you…! But if you think you’re going to walk over me, you’re in for a surprise!

If I had to guess, these Soubi lines are low point-exclusive.

Back at Ishigami’s office, it seems clear to our folks that Nagisa’ll be taken to the Cthulhu HQ, home of Neos Gold. Problem is, says Lulu, we still have no idea where the place is actually at. The PLANTs and Frontier folk have been searching since the battle with them started, but found absolutely zilch. We’ve no way of tracing them, either, so Micchi ponders that we might have no choice but to simply wait for them to make their move.
But what about Emi? No clues either… that is, until Rebecca calls in and tells Vestanu that the kidnapper’s sent a message over! Indeed, it’s Yajima and he asks that we show this to Kouichi: Emi’s safe, and if he wants to have her back, then he needs to come, alone, to the specified location.
Rachel runs the coordinates and finds a desert island in the Sea of Okhotsk. Despite the meeting with Emperor Darius being legit, Cathy thinks we should expect this one to be an actual trap. Lulu agrees, knowing how eager the Katou Organization is to nab the Linebarrel. First things first, Misato summons Kouichi over.

Cut to Shangri-La, seems that Kouichi’s taken them up on their offer as Masaki pings him headed towards the target area. Katou imagined we’d agree – that’s how LOTUS is.
He sets out, both to see to Dmitri’s funeral and to meet with Kouichi at the spot. Masaki’s to handle the rest.

Wufei’s along the way and Katou asks if he still hasn’t changed his mind on all this – the Organization IS trying to take over the world. Is that something he can imagine himself doing? “I admit that there’s a difference between the words you speak and what I felt in your gaze,” Wufei says. “On the other hand, said gaze is still the same as when we first met. So I will easily work with you to the bitter end.” Katou’s sorry to put him in that spot.
Their moment’s interrupted when Sawatari stomps over. He understands why Dmitri did what he did, but still needs an outlet for the anger boiling within him and wants to know when they’ll get another mission. Not for a while, actually, as Katou wants them to preserve their strength for a bit.
Sawatari isn’t happy that they’re doing that again, but Katou tells him to be patient: the final battle is nigh. With that, he leaves, though Wufei’s not holding his breath for Kouichi to give Katou a positive answer. And that’d be just fine, too.

: Katou Hisataka… What did you do to Yajima…?!
: Nothing at all. Back when it all happened, the Apparition had lost its Factor and immediately set out to find a new one. It chose him.
: All we did was recover the unit, though it took a while for the D-S.O.I.L. to restore him fully.
: Now, when I first extended you an invitation, you cited Yajima as your main reason for saying no. That obviously shouldn’t be an issue anymore.
: You’re asking me to join you again…?
: Oppression is a necessity for imagination to come into being. Struggling to escape from it is how imagination is born. And what kind of oppression would be best suited to play that part? That’d be death.
: That doesn't make it OK to kill people…!
: I’m certain you’ve seen it plenty of times already: people who’ve given up on their imagination, who can only be protected by your group, who simply wish for things to stay the same…
: By its conquest of the world, the Katou Organization will purge such people. We’ll allow only those willing to struggle for their lives to give shape to humanity’s future.
: Those who’ve give up on their imagination are no different from Machinas, and do not deserve being protected.
: Give me a goddamn break…!

: Do you have any idea what’s it’s like to want to struggle but not being able to? Can you imagine being someone who can do nothing but simply cling to your dreams like an idiot…?!
: I can, because I used to be like that…! I was lucky to have been given this kind of power…! My idea of justice might be a whole bunch of nothing, but I still want to try to be a Champion for all those who are as powerless as I used to be!
: … I see. You may have Emi Kizaki back. I trust that’s fine with you, Yajima?
: Kouichi… do you really mean what you said? You are seriously trying to be an actual Champion of Justice?
: Yeah… I’ve been trying really hard since you died. I’ve done a lot of thinking, too.
: Then let’s settle things one more time, Kouichi. Let’s close the book on our past!

:siren: :siren:

: This power of yours is too much for you. Just turn back on this idiocy, drat it!

: I am a idiot, sure. But I’ve thought long and hard in my own idiotic way… and I’ve figured out what I want to do!
: I wanna learn to make better use of this power, so I can protect those that are dear to me… and to help those who can’t help themselves! That’s what my justice is about!
: But I’ve earned some power of my own. I can keep you safe again…!
: … I can’t go back to Risako anymore. So I want you to take care of her! Just leave the Linebarrel and move on!!

: Urk…!
: You don’t have to fight anymore. There are plenty of others who can do it for you… This is for your own sake…!
: “My own sake”…? Just come out and say the truth…!

: This has never been about me… The one you’ve really wanted to be safe, the reason you’ve always looked out for me…!
: It was all… for Risako’s sake!!

: Gah…!
: I can remember the day you died like it was yesterday…! “What matters isn’t what you should do, but what you want to do,” that’s what you told me!
: And what I want to do is be a Champion of Justice! What about you…? What do you want to do, Yajima?!
: You’ve changed, Kouichi… Actually… in a way, you’re still the same person you were back then. It’s just as the dragon Gundam’s pilot told me.
: Go. I’ve to think… about what I want to do.
: You won’t go with him? Will you come with me, then?
: I’m grateful for what you’ve done for me, and I helped you for it. But that never meant I joined your team.
: Heh… fair enough. Kouichi, Emi Kizaki is at a lodge over yonder. Take her and head home.
: I will…!

: He really has exceeded my imagination. We may even shorten Stage 2 thanks to that.
: … Take care of my sister.

Back at JUDA, Une’s just informed us that Djibril’s camping out at Orb. This info came straight from an infiltrated Preventer agent, and while they’ve gone through the UN to demand that they turn the guy in, there’s been no response.
With Cagalli still missing, diplomacy’s going nowhere fast. Much as she’d rather avoid it, if Orb’s set on giving Djibril shelter, then force may be the only available option. Thus, like with Heaven’s Base, Une figures LOTUS’s firepower to be essential for the operation’s success.

Misato concurs and will have our group set out as soon as we’re good to go. Lady Une apologizes for putting us in this spot, knowing how busy we are with Emi and Nagisa’s kidnapping, and thanks us for the assist.
As soon as she cuts the comm, AI Ishigami tags the Linebarrel coming back – with two Factor signals aboard. Seems like Emi’s safe, Talia sighs in relief. At least that’s one of the girls, so Misato’s glad we’re not looking at the worst case scenario.

Speaking of Nagisa, Golem has had her locked up in the meantime. Neos Gold is, indeed, happy with her success: even should Iczer-1 return, she’ll be severely weakened without her partner.
And considering how Iczer-2 sought Nagisa Kanou in the first place, and they were going with Kasumi as a replacement, this should be perfectly fine. Mommy Big Gold is sure to be elated when she hears of this as well.
As Golem’s dismissed, Neos calls out to Iczer-3: it won’t be long before Iczer-2’s fully recovered, and that will spell the end for her and all of humanity. Look forward to it. Ohohoho! Mwahahaha!

: Sorry, Risako. You shouldn’t have to help us clean up.
: No, it’s fine… Work helps get my mind off things…
: And I’ve some Chinese food ready for when you get worn out.
: Hm… thanks.
: Come on, chin up! Your cupcakes were a huge hit! They’re really good!
: Hrm… Waaahaaah!
: Risako…
: Why… Why would Yajima do something like that?! He was always so nice, always taking care of us…
: I’m sure there’s a good reason… And Kouichi’s coming back with Emi, so we'll ask him about it later.
: Okay… then I’ll just wait here until I can speak to him face-to-face.
: Risako…

*Door opens.*

: Nagisa! They said Ranka’s about to go home!
: We also have to get ready for our next mission, so let the staff handle the rest of the clean-up. Let’s hurry on to JUDA.
: Alright, I’ll be right over.

*Everyone else leaves.*

: Hey, Nagisa… Atross was really born of the Iczelio, huh?
: Sorry for keeping quiet. I wasn’t sure, but I should’ve run it by you…
: But you were still right. We can become friends… and then we can rescue Nagisa-1 together. That’s how I feel, at least.
: You’re right, Iczer-3. I’m sure we can.

*Swiiish!*

: …?!
: Something wrong?
: …No, it’s nothing. Let’s get going, Iczer-3.
: Okay!
: (Was that one of Nagisa Kanou’s memories…? No, it was… her consciousness…?)

Ranka’s show was a big hit, though it’s a shame we gotta take off so soon after it. The girl’s more than satisfied with just cheering us up, though. Shinn just hopes he’ll get a chance to actually hear her sing next time instead of being busy working backstage. Fan Club member of not, that left him a bit sour.
Ranka’s surprised to hear that they were the ZAFT soldiers Nanase said had joined her club. As a matter of fact, Nagisa points out, pretty much everyone in LOTUS is a member. Ranka hopes the other Nagisa’s doing fine, and Alto promises we’ll bring her back in one piece as soon as she’s found. Trust him: he’s got a good luck charm for protection.
Well, as Kouji knows, Alto has a perfect track record of successful rescues, so that’s reassuring. Hyouma spots Brera leering Alto’s way, but notices that something’s changed a bit with him. Brera harrumphs that he’s just carrying out his given mission. Alright, then.

It’s only a shame that the rest of the crew couldn’t be here to see Ranka off, but she understands how busy we are. It’s already great that so many of them took the time to come over.
Michel laughs that they’re apparently the ones with way too much free time on their hands. Klan calls lies and slander, which reminds Ranka that she has something to give the Zentran woman: some video letters. Grace relates that they’re from Nyan-Nyan employees, as well as friends from Mihoshi and college. Klan recognizes the latter as the one containing the analysis of Sheryl’s medicine.
But it’s time for Ranka to get going, and she’s looking forward to doing this again with us; hopefully Alto’ll be free to see everything next time. As he tells her to say “hi” to Sheryl for him, Michel’s already off to call Alice.

Over by Klan’s room, the results are in: apparently Sheryl’s meds were receptor blockers, apparently part of an experimental treatment for some “V-Type Infection”. It can’t cure the disease, but it mitigates the symptoms. Side effects, however, include sporadic fevers, vomiting, cold sweats… precisely what Sheryl was displaying before.
In other words, Sheryl’s got that V-Type Infection and Alice asks if Klan’s file has anything on it. Not a whole lot: it’s a bloodborne pathogen, only a handful of people have ever contracted it, and it can be fully cured by a serum made from some creature… IF detected early. Sheryl’s disease is too far along for anything to save her.

Klan objects that research is still ongoing – this isn’t hard fact yet. Still, it is what it is and Michel doesn’t think it’s our place to tell anyone – especially Alto. Alice wonders if Sheryl knows, and Klan would think so: the video letters from their friends mentioned a rumor of how Sheryl was seen around their library’s medical thesis archives.
Should they really not tell Alto about this? Klan, as a woman, can imagine how much Sheryl must want to see Alto again as she deals with this. Which is precisely why Michel thinks he should hear it from her, not us. That said, there’s something we can do: wait for a chance to get back to the Frontier and, then, head on over as fast as we can.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 27, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

: O-Okay! Following Rank and Eida’s pulse-pounding show, it’s time for us to kick off the LOTUS Idol Contes-gck! My tongue…!

Small grammar mistake here.

quote:

The D Team’s touring the mall, but they can hear the party going on nearby. Actually, why isn’t Aoi taking part in the contest? As she reminds them, she used to be a model before all this (not that Kurara ever read those magazines, mind), and figured having a pro join in would go against the spirit of the thing.
That’s fair enough, but Johnny reminds the three of them are supposed to be stocking up while they can. What about him, then? He’s already wrapped up his part, so he’s free to relax over lunch. Well, that’s our resident high-octane businessman for Kurara.
She, Aoi and Kurara take off to finish their assignments and head back to the party.

Who is "she" here? The D-Team has two women and you named them both. Is it Johnny?

Also this is a Linebarrels stage, and as such I must continue my gimmick and complain about anime changes. Other than the last fight between Yajima and Kouichi, literally nothing of this is even remotely what happens in the manga. Yajima being in Katou's side is ridiculous by itself. Just... ugh. Brunom, if you haven't, please read Linebarrels after you finish with this LP (or during it), just to know how the actual story goes. The manga is not fully translated yet, but it's pretty far.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

It was supposed to be written Sakuya, but I mistyped... all fixed!

And I find myself pretty much unable to read or watch anything nowadays, with how short my free time's gotten. Maybe I'll get to it once this game's over (or I might LP UX, if I'm feeling particularly masochistic and can get around the technical issues. Don't hold your breath on this, mind).

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Huh, we went an entire Iczer stage without Neos killing a subordinate. Color me shocked.

Also nice to see Yuuki Jaggar getting a cameo, don't know why he's calling himself Yajima though.

:"You heroes can't protect the Earth! Sure you may have stopped 3 separate alien invasions in the course of a week, but what have you done lately!?"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean Yajima just seems to be using that as an excuse to try and get Kouichi to quit fighting and be safe. He doesn't come off as bad as Yuuki.

Also, man. The Katou guys are loving weird. They're trying real hard with this whole 'imagination' metaphor but I don't think they're pulling it off. Still glad I haven't read Linebarrels though because all this just comes off as a robot show that's big on the drama with a strange villain group rather than an affront to writing.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean Yajima just seems to be using that as an excuse to try and get Kouichi to quit fighting and be safe. He doesn't come off as bad as Yuuki.

Fair enough, I just find it really amusing how they have to stick to the script of the anime, "Your group can't protect the Earth!", BUT ALSO acknowledge that LOTUS has done exactly that multiple times.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Is the Idol Contest a part of any show's story like the Talent Contest was, or is it more like the part of every OG story where the women decide to cook a big feast?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

HitTheTargets posted:

Is the Idol Contest a part of any show's story like the Talent Contest was, or is it more like the part of every OG story where the women decide to cook a big feast?

I think it's a Gaiking plot line, but I don't really remember for sure.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

: … Nothing came of this. I pray that our battles aren’t all for naught!

Too bad. You're just wasting everyone's time, like always.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...

Montegoraon posted:

Wufei.txt

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, man. The Katou guys are loving weird. They're trying real hard with this whole 'imagination' metaphor but I don't think they're pulling it off. Still glad I haven't read Linebarrels though because all this just comes off as a robot show that's big on the drama with a strange villain group rather than an affront to writing.

It's important to remember that a lot of the reason the Katou Organization looks as weird as it does (and hell, most of why the anime is the way it is) is mostly because of Studio Gonzo shenanigans. The manga wasn't even like half done when they launched the anime, and even then they took a lot of what was already done in the manga and twisted it.

If Brunom does do UX (and my hat's off to him if he does, it's a really good game but it's buggy as poo poo, not to mention the difficulty of emulating 3DS games), you'll see a much, much better representation of Linebarrels.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Materant posted:

If Brunom does do UX (and my hat's off to him if he does, it's a really good game but it's buggy as poo poo, not to mention the difficulty of emulating 3DS games), you'll see a much, much better representation of Linebarrels.

I'm almost certain that The 3DS hard-crashing when the Shining Trapezohedrons collide is 100% intentional.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The idol contest is from Gaiking, the cook becomes a named character during it much like in this game.

The Maryus and the Kings are Darius projects that were stolen by the rebels, that would be why both Dvoraks bear a resemblance to them. (The final Dvorak is even called the Chou Maryu)

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Montegoraon posted:

I love how even Duo, the nicest of the Wing cast, is like "Christ, not this poo poo again". Even he's officially done with Wufei being an rear end in a top hat. Probably explains why Frozen Teardrop turns him into an old hermit with no kids and slots in Zechs and Noin's son to replace Wufei in the new team.

Materant posted:

It's important to remember that a lot of the reason the Katou Organization looks as weird as it does (and hell, most of why the anime is the way it is) is mostly because of Studio Gonzo shenanigans. The manga wasn't even like half done when they launched the anime, and even then they took a lot of what was already done in the manga and twisted it.
Case in point (in regards to this plot development): Yajima's comeback. In the manga, it's not the Katou Organization that revives him, it's actually JUDA who has been keeping Yajima under wraps literally in the building's basement, both due to Yajima's request (long story) and a little bit of Ishigami's orders. This actually makes Yajima's resurrection have way more impact because he's technically been alive since Apparition first appeared, but hasn't come out to tell Kouichi and the others. And since Yajima's death was a catalyst for Kouichi beginning to get his poo poo together and be a hero, the revelation really hits hard for Kouichi. Especially since one mission Kouichi was sent on (stopping a plan of Riku's that involved rogue defense satellites) was only a success thanks to Yajima pitching in at the last minute to save the day from the shadows.

Oh, and also this mission dropped in one of the more stranger anime-only additions: Jack's..."thing" for Risako. And yes, the quotation marks are on purpose because the anime kind of realizes this is a bad thing and never really commits to it, but still puts in teaser fluff to suggest there might be something there. Which is a lot better than what happens regarding Izana and Yurianne, where the anime's beach episode implies Yurianne either sexually assaulted or went so far as to possibly rape Izana in a dark cave. Yes, the usual comedy episode stand-by has that thrown into the middle of it because sexual assault/possible rape of anyone is totally hilarious, right? What the gently caress, Studio Gonzo? :psyduck:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Oh, and also this mission dropped in one of the more stranger anime-only additions: Jack's..."thing" for Risako. And yes, the quotation marks are on purpose because the anime kind of realizes this is a bad thing and never really commits to it, but still puts in teaser fluff to suggest there might be something there.

Plot twist: Jack's body, as a proper Arma, is actually being piloted by a kid who played a bit too much MGSR.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

It's that time of the week again, folks. I need some 3+ posts!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

CHANGE POSTER 1! FILLER POST ON!

(well, it does say 3, even if Getter isn't in this game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
POSTER 2, GATTAI DA!!!

• Locked thread